Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25178
Default Pre All Star Games Rankings

These are all my personal opinions right now, but as always, sell me on a guy and I might change it.
Forgot this:
Runningbacks are separated into 2 tiers.
Tier 1 - traditional 3 down backs who can carry the loads for their teams.
Tier 2 - Change of pace back who COULD grow into 3down backs but will likely be COP for their first few years.

Running Backs:
Tier 1
  • Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama (rJr)
    Quote:
    Lacy is a big back who has some moves. He has a good OL in front of him but still shows good vision and ability to create. Lacy gets a lot of crap for his OL being good but he has consistently shown the ability to do it when his OL breaks down. He is incredibly tough as a runner who rarely goes down on contact. He has a very strong sturdy build and has plenty of power. One thing Lacy has that the smaller backs have struggled to show is the lower body drive to push piles and take on defenders. Lacy is owner of one of, if not the best spin moves in the nation. This move allows him the ability to shed would be tacklers and keep gaining yards. He has shown the ability to be a viable option out of the backfield as a receiver. He can hit a corner and turn up field while not possessing the sprinter speed of other backs. He does this by using his vision and burst. He doesn't try to stretch the play and turns it up field when the hole opens up. If he is there in the 2nd or 3rd round he could posses value too good to pass up for the Bengals even though he isn't what the fans crave in a speedster back.
  • Giovanni Bernard, RB, UNC (rSo)
  • Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers (rSo)
  • Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin (Sr)
  • Stepfon Taylor, RB, Stanford (Sr)
  • Dennis Johnson, RB, Arkansas (rSr)
    Quote:
    Dennis Johnson is one of the least talked about backs and is flying under the radar right now. He has been the star back in Arkansas this year outshining the formerly highly touted Knile Davis. DJ is a small compact back who has shown ability to be an every down back in the NFL. He doesn't have the elite speed of Franklin or Barner, but he has the lateral agility and movement that is hard to ignore. He hits the holes hard and explodes to the second level. He is more than willing to stay back and protect the passer showing a wider range of blocking skill than some other backs in this class. He doesn't cut block, he engages the blitzer and stops them if he can. DJ also shows soft hands from the backfield to be a more than reliable weapon in the pass game. What also sets DJ apart from other backs at this point is his lower body drive. He churns his legs and fights for the extra yards exceptionally well. His ability to change direction and maintain speed is what I love most about him. I view him as a natural compliment to the LawFirm and an excellent replacement for Brian Leonard. Bonus time, DJ can also be an effective kick return guy (read: Bye bye Tate). His lack of top end speed and being on a terrible Arkansas team will keep him down the boards. But in the 4th (or maybe 3rd) DJ is a great pick up for a team needing youth and depth at RB.
  • Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida (Sr)
  • Laveon Bell, RB, Michigan State (Jr)
  • Christine Michael, RB, TAMU (Sr)
    Tier 2
  • Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma St (Jr)
  • Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson (rSr)
  • Jonathan Franklin, RB, UCLA (rSr)
  • Cierre Wood, RB, Notre Dame (rJr)
  • Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon (rSr)
  • Robbie Rouse, RB, Fresno St (Sr)
  • Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State
  • Ray Graham, RB, Pitt (Sr)

Inside Linebackers:
  1. Manti Teo, ILB, ND (Sr)
  2. Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU (rJr)
  3. Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida (Sr)
  4. Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky (Jr)
  5. Kiko Alonso, ILB, Oregon (rSr)
  6. Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama (Sr)
  7. Kevin Reddick, ILB, UNC (Sr)
  8. AJ Klein, ILB, Iowa State (Sr)
  9. Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati (Sr)
  10. Steve Beauharnais, ILB, Rutgers, (Sr)

Outside Linebackers:
  1. Jarvis Jones, OLB, UGA (rJr)
  2. Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers (rSr)
    Quote:
    Khaseem Greene will be a steal. It matters not where he is drafted, which won't be high enough as a Big East defender who doesn't rush the QB often. He is a converted S who was moved to WLB at Rutgers. Since the move Greene has only gotten better. His coverage skills have not diminished but his play-read skills and ability to play downhill have. He is a solid tackler who wraps up and makes the sure tackle. He is aggressive in attacking the ball and fights to rip the ball out. He can cover some serious ground from the outside and plays with a passion that will go well with our current core of players. He is limited in his ability to grow physically at 6-1 and 230lbs. Not big but not a terrible size for a WLB. What he does represent is the missing link for a Bengals D that gets carved up by TE and down the middle. He can cover extremely well from the LB position and could be a blanket on TE's in the NFL. Whether he starts at WLB from day one or is used in packages is strictly up to where he is vs the run from a strength stand point. I think he will be fine. He can shed blocks decently and once he is in the backfield has a good nose for the QB and again, aggressively goes after the football. He is an All-American LB from the Big East, consecutive 2x Big East defensive player of the year (only 2nd player ever to do this in Big East history), finished the season with 125 tackles, 6 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions and 5.5 sacks from the WLB spot. That is incredible from that position, one often not considered a "playmaking" position. From his ability to blanket in coverage to his ability to read and react to his ability to make a play, Greene is the exact type of LB the Bengals defense NEEDS.
  3. Alex Ogletree, OLB, UGA (Jr)
    Quote:
    A man who possesses wonderful athleticism and a long frame, Ogletree has a long way to go before he reaches his potential. From a drug-related suspension to his tendency to freelance at times he will not go as high as he SHOULD. Still learning the LB position as a converted safety, Ogletree is fine when in coverage but still finds himself being the nail not the hammer too often. His speed and athleticism often allow him to make up for his blown assignments and poor angles. Has good form when going for tackles but also capable of laying the big hit on a ball carrier. Fully capable of blitzing the QB, Ogletree wasn't asked to do it a ton and he does sometimes struggle to get off blocks and can be taken out of a play if the OL gets to the 2nd level. Despite all of this, Ogletree's problems are all of the correctable kind for a man who hasn't played LB all that long. Once he adds some weight to his long frame the problems with receiving not delivering hits should be over. Once he plays more time at LB all his freelancing and being out of position can be eliminated. What makes these more acceptable is Ogletree's rawness at LB. If he were a 4 year MLB then we would have issues. But his athleticism and coverage skills make him well worth the risk. The biggest question is will Ogletree be a MLB or OLB in the NFL. And this is up to the team that drafts him, if I am the Bengals I am giving him every shot in the middle with Burfict sliding to SLB where he wont be in coverage (his weakest skill) nearly as much. Getting younger, faster and more athletic should be a prime goal of the Bengals LB core for 2013.
  4. Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford (rSr)
  5. Arthur Brown, OLB, KSU (rSr)
  6. Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State (Sr)
  7. Sean Porter, OLB, TAMU (Sr)
  8. Zaviar Gooden, OLB, Mizzou (rSr)

Defensive Ends
  1. Bjoern Werner, DE, FSU (Jr)
  2. Damontre Moore, DE, TAMU (Jr)
  3. Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU (rJr)
  4. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas (Sr)
  5. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU (Sr)
    Quote:
    Everyone knows about the athleticism of Ansah. One big concern for him is the lack of production at BYU. While somewhat understandable for a guy with such limited experience you would still almost expect a sheer athlete like Ansah to just dominate more than he has. What he does show are the things that can be tough to teach players. He shows some great hand and foot work already. Which is quite impressive at this stage. He takes on double teams well and is still improving on splitting them. He lined up at both ends, OLB and NT this year for BYU. He can win virtually any one on one battle he gets in. Once he ends up in a pro system and can be put in just one spot and work on consistency and increase his football knowledge, he will be a dangerous, dangerous player. The Bengals are perfect fit for Ansah where his raw explosion and speed can be used in match up scenarios that benefit him without having to be an instant starter. The depth and explosion he brings is something that can push a fringe great defense to the next level. Ansah would likely assume the starting role by 2014 over either Carlos Dunlap (injuries and inconsistent play) or Michael Johnson (solid but not spectacular) at DE. Ansah also brings a type of versatility the Bengals haven't had in a few season but have sadly tried to re-create with Robert Geathers playing DT on occasion in Dime situations. Antwan Odom was the last one to do this for the Bengals with extensive success and Ansah reminds me of Odom from a build perspective but with much, much more upside. In the various games below, you can see Ansah use brute strength as well as his raw athleticism to beat lineman. He also has shown glimpses of top notch play recognition on screens. He does still have trouble with the draw and splitting the double teams, but at least he can draw them and not get completely obliterated. With Ansah you are getting a guy who will at his floor be "an alright athlete to have on your team" and at his highest ceiling will be a guy leading the NFL in sacks. Having only 3 years of time playing football with his skills, Ansah is the ultimate risk/reward in 2013. It is all about potential with Ansah, for him it is unlimited and if he is hanging around in the late first it would be unwise to pass him up.
  6. Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU (rJr)
  7. Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist (Sr)
  8. Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon (rSr)
  9. John Simon, DE, OSU (Sr)
  10. Will Sutton, DE, ASU (rJr)
  11. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina (rSr)
  12. Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn (Jr)
  13. James Gayle, DE, VT (rJr)
  14. Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky (rSr)
  15. William Gholston, DE, MSU (Jr)
  16. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas (Jr)

Nose Tackles:
  1. Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah (Sr)
  2. Jonathan Hankins, NT, OSU (Jr)
  3. Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama (Sr)
  4. John Jenkins, NT, UGA (Sr)
  5. Kawaan Short, NT, Purdue (rSr)

Safeties:
  1. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas (Sr)
  2. Matt Elam, S, Florida (Jr)
  3. Eric Reid, S, LSU (Jr)
  4. Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno St (rSr)
  5. Bacarri Rambo, S, UGA (rSr)
  6. Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma (Jr)
  7. DJ Swearinger, S, South Carolina (Sr)
  8. Shawn Williams, S, UGA (Sr)
  9. David Amerson, DB, North Carolina State (Jr)
  10. TJ McDonald, S, USC (Sr)
  11. Robert Lester, S, Alabama (Sr)
  12. Duke Williams, S, Nevada

Offensive Tackles:
  1. Luke Joeckel, OT, TAMU (Jr)
  2. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan (rJr)
  3. Eric Fisher, OT, CMU (Sr)
  4. DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama (rJr)
  5. Oday Aboushi, OT, Virginia (Sr)
  6. Dallas Thomas, OT, Tennessee (rSr)

Interior Linemen:
  1. Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama (Sr)
  2. Jonathon Cooper, OG, UNC (rSr)
  3. Travis Frederick, OL, Wisconsin (rJr)
  4. Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama (rSr)
  5. Larry Warford, OG, UK (Sr)
  6. Mario Benavides, C, Louisville (rSr)
  7. Khaled Holmes, C, USC (rSr)
  8. Alvin Bailey, OL, Arkansas (rJr)

Cornerbacks:
  1. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama (Jr)
  2. Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State (Sr)
  3. Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State (Sr)
  4. David Amerson, DB, North Carolina State (Jr)
  5. Leon McFadden, CB, SDSU (Sr)
  6. Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State (rJr)
  7. Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers (rJr)
  8. Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington (Sr)

Last edited by berserkerone88; 01-07-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Pre All Star Games Rankings

I think Leon McFadden is gonna be a real sleeper.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I think Leon McFadden is gonna be a real sleeper.
I agree.
He is probably my favorite CB for the middle rounds.
I think Milliner, Banks and Poyer have the upside right now but McFadden will go much higher than some expect.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:56 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I agree.
He is probably my favorite CB for the middle rounds.
I think Milliner, Banks and Poyer have the upside right now but McFadden will go much higher than some expect.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the 3rd.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the 3rd.
If there is a run on CB's late first early 2nd I think he goes in the 2nd.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Just from looking at those lists, it seem like there is good depth at safety, OLB, and RB... Three positions that we could use some help.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
If there is a run on CB's late first early 2nd I think he goes in the 2nd.

That will **** for us then.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 76

Running Back
You have Joseph Randle to low on your list, he's in the top 3 RB's. Fast, strong, carried the workload this season, he has over a 100 career catches for a running back. Smart, tall and can make players miss in space. He might not be the instant workhorse but he will be a feature back, day 1 starter.

Also, where's Lattimore?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41555

Couple quickies:

DE

Brandon Jenkins: If he dosn't take a Red Shirt is worth a late 2nd.

Malliciah Goodman: Will move up draft boards after the weigh in.

RB

Knile Davis: Somebody is going to take a chance early. He is currently working out with sprinter Michael Johnson and will probably be the talk of the combine RBs when he runs a 4.3 at almost 230 pounds.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Couple quickies:

DE

Brandon Jenkins: If he dosn't take a Red Shirt is worth a late 2nd.

Malliciah Goodman: Will move up draft boards after the weigh in.

RB

Knile Davis: Somebody is going to take a chance early. He is currently working out with sprinter Michael Johnson and will probably be the talk of the combine RBs when he runs a 4.3 at almost 230 pounds.
I think Jenkins red-shirts. He hasn't declared yet so I am going with my gut here.
Don't know much right now about Goodman. Been a crazy, crazy couple of weeks and I got way behind on things.

Knile is too injury prone for me. Scares me. Same with Lattimore.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyyDee View Post
Running Back
You have Joseph Randle to low on your list, he's in the top 3 RB's. Fast, strong, carried the workload this season, he has over a 100 career catches for a running back. Smart, tall and can make players miss in space. He might not be the instant workhorse but he will be a feature back, day 1 starter.

Also, where's Lattimore?
Agreed. Randle is more highly touted generally than DeMarco Murray, but I wouldn't be surprised if he adds a little bulk and has a similar outcome. There were big questions about his ability but he really found a niche, and isn't nearly as good a talent IMO. Also, good in pass pro.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Agreed. Randle is more highly touted generally than DeMarco Murray, but I wouldn't be surprised if he adds a little bulk and has a similar outcome. There were big questions about his ability but he really found a niche, and isn't nearly as good a talent IMO. Also, good in pass pro.
the only reason Murray wasn't rated higher was his injury history. and it has been proven troublesome in the NFL.
Randle has a narrow lean build. Not what I look for in a RB. He goes down quickly on contact. Doesn't show drive when hit by defenders. Could he be more? Sure but he is built a lot more like a WR than a RB.

These types of RB's can have success (Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles) but they have shown more drive in the lower body (and world class speed) and are built a little thicker.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
That is who I compare him to.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 76

Quote:
the only reason Murray wasn't rated higher was his injury history. and it has been proven troublesome in the NFL.
Randle has a narrow lean build. Not what I look for in a RB. He goes down quickly on contact. Doesn't show drive when hit by defenders. Could he be more? Sure but he is built a lot more like a WR than a RB.

These types of RB's can have success (Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles) but they have shown more drive in the lower body (and world class speed) and are built a little thicker.
That always the knock against Randle, "he goes down easy", he actually doesn't. He's usually gang tackled at the second level, if he does go down easy it usually a DT. See the highlights below of him breaking a couple of tackles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-nKmcpPfbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmSMmKGkE-A
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13690

Quote:
I think Jenkins red-shirts. He hasn't declared yet so I am going with my gut here.
Don't know much right now about Goodman. Been a crazy, crazy couple of weeks and I got way behind on things.

They are a young team with too many late round picks that do not amount to anything every year. At least they are gambles with upside.

What else are you planning to do with the late round picks?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 105

I'm not sure Dennis Johnson is a tier 1 RB in
the 2013 draft nor would I put Christine Micheal there. Both are good 4-7 backs but by no means tier 1. No pun intended just an opinion.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50yarder View Post
I'm not sure Dennis Johnson is a tier 1 RB in
the 2013 draft nor would I put Christine Micheal there. Both are good 4-7 backs but by no means tier 1. No pun intended just an opinion.
DJ showed he can carry the load this year.
Had success inside and outside the tackles.
Returns kicks and valuable in the pass attack.

Won't get the fanfare or hype but the skill set is there.
Very good on his stop and go speed. Good laterally.
Shows good drive in the lower body.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyyDee View Post
That always the knock against Randle, "he goes down easy", he actually doesn't. He's usually gang tackled at the second level, if he does go down easy it usually a DT. See the highlights below of him breaking a couple of tackles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-nKmcpPfbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmSMmKGkE-A
The thing is, those are just snippits.
At the recommendation of another poster, I have watched a lot of Randle and he does show one or two runs of this but most of his other carries, he goes down to the first guy.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4098

Duke Williams will move up the boards during the draft process. Nevada had an awful defense, but where ever the ball was Duke Williams was always close. Its my opinion he will be the third safety drafted after Vaccaro and Reid (late 2nd or early 3rd).
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

I think it looks very solid. Nice work. I wont quibble over individual positional rankings, just 1 omission. Lane Johnson should be on that list. He quietly had a very good season.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
Duke Williams Its my opinion he will be the third safety drafted after Vaccaro and Reid (late 2nd or early 3rd).
You really don't think Matt Elam will go before late 2nd or early 3rd?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2549

Quote:

I thought Jenkins declared before the college regular season was even over. We are talking about the guy from Florida State right?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4098

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
You really don't think Matt Elam will go before late 2nd or early 3rd?
No, because he's only 5'10. I like the way he plays downhill and is decent in coverage, but taller safeties are going being drafted earlier because the WR are getting taller as a whole.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWright View Post
No, because he's only 5'10. I like the way he plays downhill and is decent in coverage, but taller safeties are going being drafted earlier because the WR are getting taller as a whole.
Of the 6 Safeties selected to the Pro Bowl this year only 1 is over 6'0".