Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3328
Default Rey said what!!!

REY REFLECTS: Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer looks to be in his corner even though middle linebacker Rey Maualuga is down on himself for his performance Saturday. Maualuga went as far to say Monday that he felt like the playoff game was an audition for the team to pursue him in free agency with his deal is up and now he's not sure if the team wants him back.
"I felt as if the playoff game was sort of like, if I perform well, they would want me. I don’t know if they want me, but I do know I didn’t perform well. If I did well, good results will happen," Maualuga said. "I felt as if those plays cost our defense due to my actions and where I was and how I didn’t execute it. So who knows? I really don’t know if they want me back."
But Zimmer said the Bengals aren’t going to base anything off one game, alluding to his own performance in some games, and said he'd like to get all his guys back in free agency.
Maualuga did clarify some post-game remarks that he felt came out the wrong way and were then misinterpreted about him not giving his all in the first half.
"I might have put it the wrong way. It’s not that I didn’t give it my all in the first half, I felt as if it wasn’t enough," Maualuga said. "Obviously I strap on my helmet and put my shoulder pads on knowing that I am ready, knowing that I am physically prepared to go out there and play a football game. It’s not like I stepped out there and didn’t want to be there.
"My mindset was in the right place. But the outcome of how I wanted to play wasn’t what came out. Those big plays that I gave up, they’re plays that we’ve been running through in practice and I knew that they were coming. But it didn’t play out how I wanted it to play out. That’s what I meant by saying I didn’t give everything I had."
The two plays sticking out in Maualuga's mind were a missed tackle on a draw by Texans running back Arian Foster for 13 yards right after the Bengals went ahead, 7-6, and an 18-yard pass to tight end Owen Daniels on the second series that pulled the Texans out of a hole on their 7 on second-and-eight and led to a field goal.
"I think on the second series with the tight end coming across my face. I think it was a third down or a second, but they were backed up," he said. "I just didn’t execute it. And yeah, that draw. Those plays I gave up, I don’t know if it would’ve changed the outcome, but we definitely would’ve been off the field and given our offense a better chance to make some plays."

He's gone. You can't play mike and not be confident in yourself. No heart or anything. A damn dancing teddy bear

Last edited by Dmac18; 01-07-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49866
Default Re: Rey said what!!!

Nice smellin' ya Rey, good luck with your new team.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6793

I liked Rey coming out of SC, I liked Rey here until he started playing like crap.

He needs to do himself a favor and catch on with a 3-4 team. He will be a much better fit in that scheme.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7473

Good guy, but I definitely do not want to see him in bengal stripes next year
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 32

Anybody remember that Arian Foster run where he planted his right foot and cut to the left, smoking Rey? 58 never even broke down into tackling position. Pure laziness at the MIKE position. Can't have it. Is 55 the answer at MIKE? Especially having such an incredible season on the outside?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20388

This is going to sound ridiculous, but I'm just going to say it anyway because I think it holds merit anyway.

I play in an NFL Madden league and I play the Bengals.

I play a lot of man coverage because Leon Hall, Terrence Newman and Jason Allen are really good at it.

This also puts my linebackers in man coverage too though.

But Rey is always on the FB or maybe the HB. I've never EVER put him on a tight end. That's all on Manny Lawson and Thomas Howard. He just doesn't have the lateral quickness to cover a tight end.

In nickel situations, he'll cover the RB. If there's no running back, he comes out of the game.

This was a personnel issue that made Maualuga look bad. He should be covering the guys who aren't paid to beat man coverage. He is not a man cover linebacker.

Now, that said, I think we can do much better than him in the middle (Burfict preferably). But it wouldn't be the end of the world if we signed him as a back up who could maybe come back if he improves his quickness and coverage skills.

I would be surprised if anyone signs him, to be perfectly honest.

Call me CJD
Old 01-07-2013, 06:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26220

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
This is going to sound ridiculous, but I'm just going to say it anyway because I think it holds merit anyway.

I play a lot of man coverage because Leon Hall, Terrence Newman and Jason Allen are really good at it.

But Rey is always on the FB or maybe the HB. I've never EVER put him on a tight end. That's all on Manny Lawson and Thomas Howard. He just doesn't have the lateral quickness to cover a tight end.

In nickel situations, he'll cover the RB. If there's no running back, he comes out of the game.

This was a personnel issue that made Maualuga look bad. He should be covering the guys who aren't paid to beat man coverage. He is not a man cover linebacker.

Now, that said, I think we can do much better than him in the middle (Burfict preferably). But it wouldn't be the end of the world if we signed him as a back up who could maybe come back if he improves his quickness and coverage skills.

Oh I agree. I think it was horrible design to expect him to cover one of the better TE and RB in open field.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118

Rey... Carson Palmer...Keith Rivers... Other than Anthony MuŮoz, these players from USC **** lol. Rey should just go back to grindingErin Andrews...http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdDGYsYXHKc

Last edited by Carl Pickens; 01-07-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnay Scott View Post
Anybody remember that Arian Foster run where he planted his right foot and cut to the left, smoking Rey? 58 never even broke down into tackling position. Pure laziness at the MIKE position. Can't have it. Is 55 the answer at MIKE? Especially having such an incredible season on the outside?
I've said it all along that I'm nervous to move Burfict from the outside when he's playing so good and said that he likes playing on the outside because he has more freedom to move. Was he just saying that so he wouldn't ruffle Rey's feathers? Maybe, and I'm sure that he'd be a beast at MIKE, but I don't know if I want to take his pass coverage skills and his playmaking skills from the outside. Maybe move him to SAM, but I like him on the outside. Then again, maybe he could be the bad-*** MIKE we need to give our defense some swagger.

As far as what he said, his heart's just not in the game anymore and he'll be the Achilles' heel to this team if he stays (unless maybe we move him back to SAM).
Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1025

Yea....read this on twitter today as well as heard McCallister talking about it. Said he felt like the team wants him to leave!! hahahaha I really do not feel sorry for him either. He played like garbage this year, actually every year!

Cya Rey!!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 32

Agree with you, Brad. Burfict's ability to get off the blocks and explode towards the ball might be a major benefit to the MIKE position. That being said, his move would leave a huge hole on the outside. Would we all be comfortable with Lamur in that spot? I probably would not. He has shown flashes, but is he a starting backer in this league right now? I doubt it. Bringing back Howard and adding an explosive LB early in the draft seems like it could make for a scary group of guys behind Atkins and crew.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldog View Post
Good guy, but I definitely do not want to see him in bengal stripes next year
And the way they played Houston, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more hit the road. No specifics, just still mad.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17942

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post

Your post lost credibility, good or bad, once you said "Madden"
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4039

Yes.........The Rey Rey experiment is over. Time to get a real MLB that is athletic and can cover.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 685

There's a reason why all the other USC linebackers went in the first round and Maualuga went in the second. He's just too freaking slow. It's as simple as that.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43961

Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8983

Reys real issue is making hundreds of thousands of dollars and getting the DUI in Pontiac Sun fire if I recall correctly.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 30834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac18 View Post
REY REFLECTS: Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer looks to be in his corner even though middle linebacker Rey Maualuga is down on himself for his performance Saturday. Maualuga went as far to say Monday that he felt like the playoff game was an audition for the team to pursue him in free agency with his deal is up and now he's not sure if the team wants him back.
"I felt as if the playoff game was sort of like, if I perform well, they would want me. I donít know if they want me, but I do know I didnít perform well. If I did well, good results will happen," Maualuga said. "I felt as if those plays cost our defense due to my actions and where I was and how I didnít execute it. So who knows? I really donít know if they want me back."
But Zimmer said the Bengals arenít going to base anything off one game, alluding to his own performance in some games, and said he'd like to get all his guys back in free agency.
Maualuga did clarify some post-game remarks that he felt came out the wrong way and were then misinterpreted about him not giving his all in the first half.
"I might have put it the wrong way. Itís not that I didnít give it my all in the first half, I felt as if it wasnít enough," Maualuga said. "Obviously I strap on my helmet and put my shoulder pads on knowing that I am ready, knowing that I am physically prepared to go out there and play a football game. Itís not like I stepped out there and didnít want to be there.
"My mindset was in the right place. But the outcome of how I wanted to play wasnít what came out. Those big plays that I gave up, theyíre plays that weíve been running through in practice and I knew that they were coming. But it didnít play out how I wanted it to play out. Thatís what I meant by saying I didnít give everything I had."
The two plays sticking out in Maualuga's mind were a missed tackle on a draw by Texans running back Arian Foster for 13 yards right after the Bengals went ahead, 7-6, and an 18-yard pass to tight end Owen Daniels on the second series that pulled the Texans out of a hole on their 7 on second-and-eight and led to a field goal.
"I think on the second series with the tight end coming across my face. I think it was a third down or a second, but they were backed up," he said. "I just didnít execute it. And yeah, that draw. Those plays I gave up, I donít know if it wouldíve changed the outcome, but we definitely wouldíve been off the field and given our offense a better chance to make some plays."

He's gone. You can't play mike and not be confident in yourself. No heart or anything. A damn dancing teddy bear
From this little blurb, it seems to me like Rey knew if he played well he would be kept here and if he flopped he would be let go without a fight. Essentially, he threw the game. Judging by how poorly he looked on film, and how amazingly unprepared he was; Rey decided he wanted out before that game even began. It thinks thats the shi*tiest thing Ive ever heard of in my time as a Bengals fan. Generally, I hate jumping to conclusions, but you can't deny what you've read and what the game footage shows. I'm disappointed and hurt. I met him at Dave and Busters this past year, and even ate appetizers with him. I thought he was a lot better than this.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 110414

This thread skewed way too far off topic following a harshly worded and speculative allegation. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Rey Maualuga without devolving into what this thread had become. Please stick to them. Thank you.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34572

Rey is an extremely insecure person with self-esteem and confidence issues.

Seems like a good dude at heart, but those traits are the opposite of what I want to see in our MLB.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 43961

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34inXXIII View Post
This thread skewed way too far off topic following a harshly worded and speculative allegation. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Rey Maualuga without devolving into what this thread had become. Please stick to them. Thank you.
Nice work 34
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20388

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bengal Mike View Post
Your post lost credibility, good or bad, once you said "Madden"
unfortunate.

Although the point still stands.

Maualuga has no business covering TEs. and if our coaches knew that and just didn't put him on the TEs, they couldn't exploit it.

Call me CJD
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 203

I remember seeing Dhani doing(failing to do actually) the same thing.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5378

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Reys real issue is making hundreds of thousands of dollars and getting the DUI in Pontiac Sun fire if I recall correctly.
He has a hoopity for drinking and driving? He's smarter than I thought
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migman View Post
I remember seeing Dhani doing(failing to do actually) the same thing.
And as Dhani moved on, so should Rey.