Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8778
Default iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

So I'm going to use my upgrade on my AT&T account this week, and I'm having a difficult time deciding on whether I should get the iPhone 5 or the Galaxy S3. I was hoping some of you either have these phones and can vouch for them, or maybe have an opinion on them. I currently have the iPhone 4, it's been great to me, but I have become really bored with it. I'm not sure if straying from iOS and Apple would be a good idea though.

Anyways, any insight is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4476
Default Re: iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3?

I bought both the S3 and an iPhone 5, as well as a note 2 to decide which I liked best and then sell the others abroad for profit. I chose the Note 2 barely over the S3 and the iPhone was last. If you are going to use the phone in a simple matter, like talking, texting, a few games and some internet, go with the iPhone. They are extraordinarily user friendly (mostly) easy to use and have a great selection of apps. Battery life is a knock though.

If you're a person that likes to download and use custom roms, kernels, tinker with the interior of the phone and other customizable things, go with an android device. I've been faithful to android for a while though, so I'm a little biased. I've also made a few purchases so I'm kind of tied to it now.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7418

#teamIphone

Sent from my badass iPhone
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldog View Post
#teamIphone

Buy the one without the " i " in front of it...
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKWI88 View Post
I bought both the S3 and an iPhone 5, as well as a note 2 to decide which I liked best and then sell the others abroad for profit. I chose the Note 2 barely over the S3 and the iPhone was last. If you are going to use the phone in a simple matter, like talking, texting, a few games and some internet, go with the iPhone. They are extraordinarily user friendly (mostly) easy to use and have a great selection of apps. Battery life is a knock though.

If you're a person that likes to download and use custom roms, kernels, tinker with the interior of the phone and other customizable things, go with an android device. I've been faithful to android for a while though, so I'm a little biased. I've also made a few purchases so I'm kind of tied to it now.
Thank you. I'll be sure to weigh that into consideration when deciding.

From what I've read online and quick experience with both (I've played around with the phones a bit at Best Buy) it seems like the S3 is the better choice. I'm on my phone a lot. I use the internet quite a bit, I'm always on twitter and other social networking apps. Like you though, I feel tied to Apple and it's operating system. I'm comfortable with it and really haven't had any personal problems with it either.

The big thing for me is, getting the 5 doesn't seem like a major upgrade. I like the phone, it's a lot faster than my 4, and it's slightly bigger. But on the side of features and software, it's the exact same thing I already have.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldog View Post
#teamIphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Buy the one without the " i " in front of it...
2-1 for S3 so far.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Rep Points: 29548

S3...It's not even an argument anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7418

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
When did I give you permission to speak
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25799

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySouth View Post
Pretty much but I have heard the S4 might be out this spring...so I am waiting for that bad boy
Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2686

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals23 View Post
Thank you. I'll be sure to weigh that into consideration when deciding.

From what I've read online and quick experience with both (I've played around with the phones a bit at Best Buy) it seems like the S3 is the better choice. I'm on my phone a lot. I use the internet quite a bit, I'm always on twitter and other social networking apps. Like you though, I feel tied to Apple and it's operating system. I'm comfortable with it and really haven't had any personal problems with it either.

The big thing for me is, getting the 5 doesn't seem like a major upgrade. I like the phone, it's a lot faster than my 4, and it's slightly bigger. But on the side of features and software, it's the exact same thing I already have.
As a manager of an AT&T store based upon what you have said, go with an iPhone. If anybody ever wonders why every carrier that has iPhones sales reps push any other phone then iPhones it is because we do not get paid jack **** for doing upgrades. Secretly we know the iPhones are better and more reliable. Sure there is a certain population that the android phones are perfect for but if you have went with an iPhone for awhile you will hate the transition.

BTW if anybody ever wants to know how to get their hands on a hard to get phone around its release date all you have to do is tell the rep you want insurance, the highest data plan, roadside assistance, and AT&T navigator. That will move you to the front of the list. Just go online and remove it all after you get your phone.

Also if you want to save some money, just before you "upgrade" into the 2 year contract act as though you want to cancel. The retention department will offer crazy incentives like free family messaging for 6 months.

Be good to your sales rep. Even though they mostly get paid when they only make a sale they probably spend a good 70-80% of their time helping people with there bills, setting up someone's email, or troubleshooting some sort of App. All of these functions that are inherently the sales Reps job because the sign says AT&T. Nevermind the company has individual departments for each and everyone of these things. Lastly, please keep in mind that the problems you have most likely had nothing to do with the sales rep.

Sorry I didn't mean to ramble but I really do die a little inside everyday I have to explain to someone that their phone is not broken but merely turned off. Granted my store is located in the 55 and older capital of the world Florida. A few years ago I was working on Navigational aides in the Air Force and now showing people how to turn their phones on. SMDH😒
Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10689

Note II

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-08-2013, 12:45 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 91888

If you are bored with the I4 get ready for more of the same Boring. Innovation died with Jobs. I was expecting the i5 to have all these new features and cool things Android had to catch up with. Nope. In fact it did not even catch up with Android.

I run 2 Verizon stores. I have no clue what the ATT manager above is talking about. Other than getting paid crap on Apple. Thought to be honest we make crap on the s3 and Note 2 as well on Upgrades. I have messed up iPhones with problems in my stores every day and trust me I do not secretly like the iPhone. Its boring, and lacks any customization. Makes you pay for tons of things Google has for free. I only recommend the iPhone to die hard Apple people who can't function with anything else and old people. The only reason the iPhone is easier to use is because you can't do anything with it. No customization, control, or widgets. Download an App its on your screen.

If you are dead stuck on Apple then go ahead and get the I5. If you enjoy technology and want to do more with your phone get the S3. Give yourself a few weeks to get acclimated to the system. Then have fun. I still learn new tweaks and cool things every day and even from customers a lot of times.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloeHokie View Post
If you are bored with the I4 get ready for more of the same Boring. Innovation died with Jobs. I was expecting the i5 to have all these new features and cool things Android had to catch up with. Nope. In fact it did not even catch up with Android.

I run 2 Verizon stores. I have no clue what the ATT manager above is talking about. Other than getting paid crap on Apple. Thought to be honest we make crap on the s3 and Note 2 as well on Upgrades. I have messed up iPhones with problems in my stores every day and trust me I do not secretly like the iPhone. Its boring, and lacks any customization. Makes you pay for tons of things Google has for free. I only recommend the iPhone to die hard Apple people who can't function with anything else and old people. The only reason the iPhone is easier to use is because you can't do anything with it. No customization, control, or widgets. Download an App its on your screen.

If you are dead stuck on Apple then go ahead and get the I5. If you enjoy technology and want to do more with your phone get the S3. Give yourself a few weeks to get acclimated to the system. Then have fun. I still learn new tweaks and cool things every day and even from customers a lot of times.
so could you get me a discount when the s4 comes out?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
so could you get me a discount when the s4 comes out?
If you have VZW then yes.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
If you have VZW then yes.
I do!
And I have an upgrade available...muwhahaha
Is it March or May?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10689

I'm just gonna roll with a Nexus 4 when the Play Store gets a new shipment.

$349 off contract.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
I do!
And I have an upgrade available...muwhahaha
Is it March or May?
I never trust release dates anymore. Lol. Prob May
Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I never trust release dates anymore. Lol. Prob May
I are excite.
I hate everything Apple. It is so stagnant and I love customization.
Droid is the best.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

All of you guys gave me quite a bit to think about.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4476

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals23 View Post
All of you guys gave me quite a bit to think about.
I know you only mentioned the S3 and the i5, but fwiw, maybe glance at the Note 2. Once you get over it's size (it's no wonder they have Lebron James on the commercials) it's like an S3 with more features. Of course, if none of this is applicable to your upgrade....then....I guess that was pointless.

But for real, go with an android phone.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

Basing my statements off of all the exchanges I have had to process when people who have had iPhones "try" out the Android phones. Yes the S3 is customizable but there not everybody needs or wants that. Yes you can do everything the iPhone can do and more with the S3 but a lot of things take a few more steps. All the extras on the S3 are wasted if you don't need them. I've also seen a lot of store reps come and go and it never ceases to amaze me how when they are hired they have iPhones and almost immediately they upgrade to the latest android only to eventually switch back to the iPhone.

With an iPhone you know what you are getting. The I5 isn't much of an improvement over the 4S unless you are in an LTE area. The difference between 4G HSPA+ and 4G LTE is night and day.

Yes I too have seen a ton of iPhone issues but the iPhone is pretty much more than 50% of the smartphones on the market and the other 50% is every other kind of Android. Statistically speaking you are obviously going to see more iphone issues since there are a whole Helluva lot more floating around.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1860

iPhone. It's superior. All apple products are superior.
to preach to the Gentiles
the unfathomable riches of Christ" (Ephesians 3:8)

Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Rep Points: 29548

Not this

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
As a manager of an AT&T store based upon what you have said, go with an iPhone. If anybody ever wonders why every carrier that has iPhones sales reps push any other phone then iPhones it is because we do not get paid jack **** for doing upgrades. Secretly we know the iPhones are better and more reliable. Sure there is a certain population that the android phones are perfect for but if you have went with an iPhone for awhile you will hate the transition.

BTW if anybody ever wants to know how to get their hands on a hard to get phone around its release date all you have to do is tell the rep you want insurance, the highest data plan, roadside assistance, and AT&T navigator. That will move you to the front of the list. Just go online and remove it all after you get your phone.

Also if you want to save some money, just before you "upgrade" into the 2 year contract act as though you want to cancel. The retention department will offer crazy incentives like free family messaging for 6 months.

Be good to your sales rep. Even though they mostly get paid when they only make a sale they probably spend a good 70-80% of their time helping people with there bills, setting up someone's email, or troubleshooting some sort of App. All of these functions that are inherently the sales Reps job because the sign says AT&T. Nevermind the company has individual departments for each and everyone of these things. Lastly, please keep in mind that the problems you have most likely had nothing to do with the sales rep.

Sorry I didn't mean to ramble but I really do die a little inside everyday I have to explain to someone that their phone is not broken but merely turned off. Granted my store is located in the 55 and older capital of the world Florida. A few years ago I was working on Navigational aides in the Air Force and now showing people how to turn their phones on. SMDH��
This...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

So what are all these cool new features Android phones have that the iPhone 5 does not? Just curious on what your ideas of lacking features.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21067

S3. Apple has peaked.