Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9180

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
A ) thanks for proving my point that all of your post never pertain to football.
B ) thanks for proving my point that you just harass other who don't agree.
C ) I have seen you many times that you think things are looking up, have changed recently, and that Lewis isn't terrible. This thread is specifically for you to explain why. You didn't do that.

D) MOST IMPORYANTLY, you can't do that because Lewis is awful (see when I include rants about posters I include football). He has not won a playoff game in ten years, is under .500, had rebuilt three times, has seem to had this team on the cusp already, and FAILED to bring those promising teams more than a one and done.
OSU explained it perfectly. Look at what he's done since he's been here, and who he's had to do it with.

He's got his team now, and his team has had back to back playoff experiences. Don't give me the crap about setting for mediocrity - 10-6 is not mediocre. It's well above average.

Even a hater like you can see that, right?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6027
Default Re: I Want to Hear From the Pro-Marvin Crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescincy View Post
Not necessarily pro Marvin, just anti sucking. Which in my opinion is exactly the reason why Marvin will be here as long as this team is competitive. Who ya going to bring in? This place is Buffalo or Cleveland in appeal so who wants to come here? You've got to find the diamond in the rough but those guys usually have too much pride to consider a team/city like this when a couple of years they can possibly get better opportunities. The only reason I would argue for bringing Marvin back is that I think it will be his third year in charge. A couple years back he said I'm not coming back unless changes are made. The Bengals hold secrets better than the Kennedy assassins. Looking at what has happened since then can you honestly say that this team is being run the same way? Hell no in my opinion. So next year is his 3rd real year of being in charge in my opinion. Prior to that I think Marvin was that son who knew he could run the old mans business better but couldn't get the old man to let him. The other thing to think of is the QB and WR will be in year 3 which is historically the year they are supposed to show just what they are made of.

Yess i can easily say its the same,,doesnt matter what control brown gives lewis because lewis is the concrete around our shoes, problem is his ingame abilities as a HC that have not improved not one bit, going on year 11 now marv still makes the same mistakes,,people say but its not his fault if a pass were dropped, or an int thrown,,doesnt matter he DOES NOT put this team in the best position to win, he most of the times puts it in a worse position then the players make some mistakes on top of that,,every NFL team makes mistakes/TOs durning every game,,,but not all coaches constantly put their team in bad positions.

I dont care if it were grudens call or not marvin should have made sure we were running the rock last week because it obviously was working, by not doing so he put our team in a bad position,,and lets not even discuss not even targeting your best player for an entire half,,and nobody on here is going to tell me that was daltons doing.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
1.And then they went on to beat the Saints in the playoffs. One more win than Lewis has ever had.

2.He has a 25-23 record in Seattle, which is a winning record, already something Lewis can't achieve. Also in 3 years, he has 2 playoff wins and is still going in the playoffs this year so there might be more.

3.They had 11 wins this season and still only got the wildcard.

4.Carroll in 3 years in Seattle has now won a playoff game with Tavaris Jackson, and a rookie Russel Wilson. TAVARIS JACKSON!

marvin cant hold petes jock, end of story,,,carrol turned that franchise around. and in 3 years time has a winning record and playoff victory not too mention multiple playoff appearances in 3 years,,,,tavaris jackson
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINwillWIN View Post
We are actually making it into the playoffs...that is a plus in my book.
We are starting to beat some teams (again) that we need to beat.

How many of you actual posters have been around watching Lewis' coaching years?

2005- Are you blaming the 1 and done on Lewis? I would still rather blame the effing Steelers for taking out our Franchise QB and our #2 WR in one play. (Realistically the team went to panic mode and had to recover with 3 short quarters against a team who WON THE SUPERBOWL that year.

2009- Was just a Cardiac season and the overall luck as a team just ran out. BUT I take away the sweep in the AFC North, and that will be a hard thing to ever do again.

like cleveland, dallas, and miami
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

First of all let me state that I'm not a Marvin guy. I believe him to be a poor game manager and tactician. If I were running things, he would've been terminated a long time ago. That being said, we all know that Marvin is here. To the OP's point here is the best reason that he should remain.

1. None of us have all the information here. What we don't know is how much control Marvin has over the recent drafts and if it is really him selecting players. For all we know maybe it was Mike Brown that wanted Atkins in the 4th...or maybe it was Marvin/Zimmer. If Marv has been the driving force behing personell I am not comofrtable letting him go without a GM.

2. Marv has assembled a good coaching staff. Zimmer, in particular, is exceptional and is probably more responsible for the teams recent success than Lewis. Would the next person have the power to shape their coaching staff as they saw fit? Would they have enough pull to get their guys? I mean, if we hire a Skip Shula or Chip Cowhler would they be able to attract a guy like Zimmer that will have other opportuntiies.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1409
Default Re: Marvin... Your TIME is UP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
A power in the Division? We were 2-4 2 years ago and 3-3 this year because the Ravens rested starters.
And while the Steelers are nowhere near what they were a few years ago, they had a truly staggering amount of inconsistency this year. A lot of injuries, and a lot of "what the ****?"
Hopefully they have similar problems this year, so it becomes a trend. Until then, though, I assume they'll be bullies again.

Edit: NOT the injuries, the inconsistencies. I don't care who it is, I don't enjoy injuries.
Care to make some money when you're already online? I just signed up not long ago. It's not tons of money, not gonna get rich off of it, but I've made about 40 dollars in a week. Check it out if ya want!
*Yes, I make money if you complete offers as my referral, but it is IN ADDITION to what you make - I don't make any of your money*

http://www.treasuretrooper.com/690260

http://www.treasuretrooper.com/touchegg/5162/0665252600b8462356c68798bee22527
Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 60

in the nfl coaches get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses...however, saturday was a joke of a first half...to come out that flat, with such a horrid game plan in inexcusable...

they should have played aggressive with the play calling, used hawkins more as a slot back running pitches, end arounds and screens and played like it was the 2 minute warning...houston's Dline was going to bring it...and what did they do, line up in predictable sets...hell, my *** was calling what was going to be next from the bar stool...

the 2nd half much better...back to the original point, you still have to execute no matter what the plays and they didn't get it done...dalton had 2 seconds it seemed to throw all night, Oline got abused...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

I'll bite.

We're a bad franchise that people don't want to play for, an average QB in a QB driven league, and our owner is nearly impossible to deal with.... Despite all of that, we've been pretty consistently good in probably the hardest division in football and things look decent for the immediate future as well. A big factor in all of that is stability at HC and his willingness to delegate things to his coordinators (and of course picking good coordinators).

The bottom line is I think we have overachieved overall during Marvin's tenure and I think that would be more apparent if it weren't for Carson's injuries that we've all beaten to death.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunz View Post
Hire Norv Turner or Andy Reid and I'll be happy. Or just promote Zim and make Marvin GM.
I would like any of these scenarios as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18386

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Marvin we have waiting while you have rebuilt this team 3 times.

You have had 4 playoff shots... (but ill only hold you on 3 of them)

You have had 10 years. Its time for you to Step down because it grows painfully obvious you cannot get it done...

While i will always be glad you changed this culture around in this city and this team. And would continue to welcome your help in that area as a FO personnel.

Its clear as a coach you have gotten us as far as we will get. 1 and done. Its time to find the next option that gets us to the next level.

Time for you to step down and do the right thing.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrobo9 View Post
so we have been to the playoffs 3 of last 4 years... only six teams can say that.. we are now a power in the division, we never could say that....you want to bail on the team as they are on the rise and making it to the playoffs.. were you even around in the 90s...
Good post. I completely agree with this.
BTW: that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed in the playoff losses, I'm sick about it.

But, playoffs 3/4 years in a division that has touted the Steelers and Ravens,, this team is on the right track. It's just taking a little longer to take that next step than a lot of us would like to see.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Hardly Marvin's fault....he wasn't out coached.
The offense was manhandled by Houston's Defense.

Anyone care to guess how many Playoff games Paul Brown won here?
Paul Brown took a team in it's 3rd year of existence to the playoffs.
In the PRE FA expansion era....that was the best ever by anyone.

3 playoff appearances in 8 years for an expansion team was unheard of before the expansion in the 90's.

You know how hard it was to make the playoffs with only ONE wild card available and a team full of on average 24-26 year olds? Nice very sad try at a comparison.

Last edited by Tommy Casanova 72-77; 01-08-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9180
Default Re: Lewis ain't goin' nowhere.....

Great job on taking this new, young team to 9-7 last year (playoffs) and 10-6 this year (playoffs).

Wait, we lost the playoff games???

FIRE MARVIN! FIRE MARVIN!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
Because he will not quit and Mike Brown will not fire him.
This...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6698

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Toast, I am not part of the crowd, but I can tell you exactly what they'll tell you. Not that I agree it actually warrants an 11th year.

"Playoffs 3 of the last 4 years. 4 playoff appearances with Marvin. 0 in the previous 12 years."

That is probably word for word what they'll say... They're scared that if they don't settle for mediocrity, they'll have to go back to garbage.
The word "mediocrity" does not apply here anymore. This team is far from mediocre. Mediocre teams don't make the playoffs 3 out of 4 years.

Now, if you want to say that Marvin and company have reached their ceiling, I have no issue with that. I dont agree with it, but at least it's a valid opinion.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
The word "mediocrity" does not apply here anymore. This team is far from mediocre. Mediocre teams don't make the playoffs 3 out of 4 years.

Now, if you want to say that Marvin and company have reached their ceiling, I have no issue with that. I dont agree with it, but at least it's a valid opinion.
This I agree with. Marvin especially.......as he is turning Gruden into a mini Brat with his conservative thinking, play not to lose....be afraid to do much just in case you make a mistake. Trusting Gresham....who is almost a bit like Rey Rey of the offense, in that he lacks confidence and an ability to be consistent, but is more maddening beacuse he has way more talent.... was not a good idea. When you see the idea not working after about 3-4 tries.... I mean, it's Green time after that, and it was not done.

Even Zimmer looked passive in his game plan.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3517

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Why?...

Discuss.
Mike Brown fears positive change.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2217

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Great job on taking this new, young team to 9-7 last year (playoffs) and 10-6 this year (playoffs).

Wait, we lost the playoff games???

FIRE MARVIN! FIRE MARVIN!!!
Wait this team is better than the amazingly awful teams of the 90s? The worst decade of football history?

KEEP MARVIN FOREVER!
Thanks for not talking football again.

Btw I'm no hater, praise Marvin for making us respectable, but he has shown three times that he can't get us over the top.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Lewis ain't goin' nowhere.....

Only problem I have with Marvin, he don't override his O.C. enough.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 110269

For what it's worth (which isn't much, considering it won't happen), it's not unprecedented to fire the head coach of a playoff team. Tony Dungy was let go by Tampa Bay after making the playoffs 3 seasons in a row and 4 out of 5 (and the one year he missed in that time, the Bucs finished 8-8). The next season, they won the Super Bowl with Jon Gruden. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have eventually won with Dungy, who did get a championship with Indianapolis.

I'm not saying such a change would guarantee the same result, but I'm not convinced Marvin Lewis - as nice a guy as he is - can get the team much further than he already has.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
Wait this team is better than the amazingly awful teams of the 90s? The worst decade of football history?

KEEP MARVIN FOREVER!
Thanks for not talking football again.

Btw I'm no hater, praise Marvin for making us respectable, but he has shown three times that he can't get us over the top.
Raiders are on a worse 10 year run right now.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34inXXIII View Post
For what it's worth (which isn't much, considering it won't happen), it's not unprecedented to fire the head coach of a playoff team. Tony Dungy was let go by Tampa Bay after making the playoffs 3 seasons in a row and 4 out of 5 (and the one year he missed in that time, the Bucs finished 8-8). The next season, they won the Super Bowl with Jon Gruden. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't have eventually won with Dungy, who did get a championship with Indianapolis.

I'm not saying such a change would guarantee the same result, but I'm not convinced Marvin Lewis - as nice a guy as he is - can get the team much further than he already has.
Wasnt a Certain Chargers coach 14-2 when he got fired?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 373

Whenever we lose a big game, many on these boards tend to forget the big picture.

Not only have we made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 seasons, we've done it in the most difficult division. AFC North teams won 136 regular season games over that timespan (AFC average was 127.75), and produced 5 wildcard teams. No other AFC division is that competitive.

The lack of playoff wins is frustrating, but it's a small sample size. To say that Marvin cannot win a playoff game is like saying that a coin cannot land on heads if it's been tails the last 4 times.

It's the responsibility of the coaches to put the players in a situation where they can win if they execute. Last weekend we were playing one of the top teams in the NFL on the road, and we were driving to win the game with 3 minutes left. The simple fact is that the players did not execute in those 3 minutes, so instead of getting ready for Denver, we're sitting here second-guessing every player / coach / decision.

People are calling Gresham a "bust." He did not have a pro-bowl caliber season, and he ended on a bad game, but when you look at the whole picture, there were only 7 tight ends in the entire league that had more yards than Gresh this year. If you think that is a bust, then you have evidently never heard of names like David Klinger or Akili Smith, because they are real busts.

Dalton had a bad game, so people are talking about how horrible he is, not an "elite QB," etc. Dalton is putting up numbers that are better than a young Tom Brady.

Marvin has slowly been able to wrestle control of this team away from Mike Brown, and the results of the past few years have borne that out. To say he should be fired on the basis of a few games is ridiculous, especially this most recent game, because it easily could have gone the other way.

If we could move Marvin to a GM position and find a better coach, I'd be all in favor of that, but it's unlikely Brown would allow it, and very few top-caliber HCs are willing to work for him.

The idea that firing Marvin would help the team is laughable. Most of the Marvin-must-go crowd have not even followed the team long enough to know what it was like before he got here. He took a team that was the worst in all of professional sports and put us where we are today. That's why he's not going anywhere.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14502

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
Only problem I have with Marvin, he don't override his O.C. enough.
Or maybe he does too much!!!

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 445

The simple fact that Marvin Lewis has been around as an NFL head coach for 10 years and has a below .500 winning percentage tells you everything that you need to know about both Marvin and this organization.

The most frustrating thing in my opinion is that the Bengals continually have the same recurring problems that for 10 years have gone largely unsovled - OL is weak link, LB core are scrap-heap players, never had strong Saftey play, underpeforming TE's, inability to beat upper echeleon teams (please don't cite the Bal win this year, that was a gift), and just the ability to play lousy and/or choke in big games over the years.

Well, at least we aren't going 3-13 in back to back season I suppose.

I live in Chicago, diehard Cincy sports fans, however, I am beginning to see similarities between the Cubs and Bengals that make me sick to my stomach. The 'we're gettting close' and 'next year' lines don't work after 20+ years.