Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 22190
Default Re: Should have won

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinc4ever1 View Post
All in all we were in this game the whole time. Even with the very poor effort bye the offense. Im dissapointed in Dalton, OC,Marvin, OL played decent considering the Texans blitzed the entire game. The defense almost won this game. Yes Im not happy at all. Losing in the playoffs is annoying, especially in the 1st Rnd everytime.

Only thing I can say that is positive is that we really could have won this game, but the offense laid a fat egg. We have alot to build on though.

Also for the record I am losing faith in Dalton.

Thing is last year at this time we all were saying the same thing, about having a lot to build on. But this team barely improved, if at all, as the offense certainly didn't improve. My biggest thing this season was seeing progression with the offense, as I knew the defense would be stout. Not elite stout, but stout. The offense though didn't progress and that worries me going forward, especially if there isn't a major upgrade or two somewhere in the offense and they keep everything the same.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Dude, the defense almost won the game by itself. The offense did nothing. That much is obvious.

Defense was out there over 38 minutes. That is just nuts. If offense could have sustained drives and converted some 3rd downs, defense would have looked even better.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown

Old 01-06-2013, 01:41 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Defense was out there over 38 minutes. That is just nuts. If offense could have sustained drives and converted some 3rd downs, defense would have looked even better.
I'm sayin'.....The offense got their ish pushed in. Disgusting.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21759

Quote:
Thing is last year at this time we all were saying the same thing, about having a lot to build on. But this team barely improved, if at all, as the offense certainly didn't improve. My biggest thing this season was seeing progression with the offense, as I knew the defense would be stout. Not elite stout, but stout. The offense though didn't progress and that worries me going forward, especially if there isn't a major upgrade or two somewhere in the offense and they keep everything the same.
Right on Millz, we're exactly where we were this time last season. Come to think of it we're still in the exact same place we were starting like 22 years ago.

0 fer in the playoffs !
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 785

The play calling was brutal. We are terrible on 3rd down (on both sides of the ball).

Why didn't we run the ball? In the first half, everytime BJGE touched the ball, we got positive yardage!

I don't understand the pass happy play calling in the first half and deep into the 3rd quarter. The fourth quarter play calling was great.. had we been doing that all game, we'd have won for sure.

Gruden needs to go. As does Marvin Lewis.

I think Marvin has brought the team as far as they can go... time for a big time playoff coach.

"Terrible Towels are for wiping, not waving."

Now let's DO this!

#whodey
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
And I am saying I agree. If Grudan was fired tomorrow, I would not be upset at all.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
And I am saying I agree. If Grudan was fired tomorrow, I would not be upset at all.
I'd be glad too. Only Zimmer and whoever he wants to keep should still have a job.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1084

Quote:

Thats the thing that just has me baffled, i mean up until Cook came back the o-Line seemed to be holding thier own, Andy was andy (nothing spectacular), the running game was decent (minus a cop), AJ was aj, sanuand jones stepped up, gresham was gresham( either a beast or asleep)... What happened to this offense the past 5 weeks? Cook replacing Robinson? (that cant be it)

How do you improive this O, going into next year?
Oline ? fix the center-merry go round (Robinson seemed fine from what i saw), and replace Smith is he bolts.

qb? can only hope andy gets back his groove, develops a pocket pressence , works to get his accuracy back

te? is this what Gresham is? if so i think its time to move on... or at the very least bench him for charles when he's having his "off" days

rb.. definatley need a few fresh faces, keep Peerman dump the rest... keep herron also if room

wr.. what do they do here aj is a given but what after him, will a healthy Sanu, Hawkins & Jones be enough or do they need to find a solid #2?

There are many more questions this year than the last imo.. I just dont understand how the offense andy, aj all were in a groove early on.. Not staggering numbers but, they got the job done. then the past month and a half they just couldnt do a thing...

Idk we got 1 game better this year, the D i think just needs a maualuga replacement and a SS if all else can be retained...

But the offense... you could argue there are only 2 or 3 spots that couldnt use and probaly needs to be upgraded if this team is gonna get over the hump
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1450

Quote:
Classic play calling for the Bengals, don't use what works.
Yup! if you had to think of a way to throw the game as an OC you couldnt have done a better job. Run works, screw it, We got Green, nawww lets not throw to him, What about a screen to Hawk, Nope might get too many yards. This is one of the most frustrating games ive watched the Bengals play. We did Nothing on offense yet was still in position the whole game to win. Hurts more than getting beat down 45-0.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
If Garbage was a form of Art, the Bengals mastered it today

the unbiased keep telling me that's a bit harsh but that's what I think of after seeing that today
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 24748

They could've won, but they definitely shouldn't have. If they had won, it would have been a lot like the Bengals vs Cowboys game a few weeks back. The Bengals were dominant most of the game, but they kept coming away with field goals thus remaining in reach. Houston put together some really long drives and wore the defense out, but still failed to capitalized with a touchdown until the middle of the 2nd half.

One play, and we all know what one, could've turned it all around. If Andy didn't overthrow that pass to Green, then we'd all be going through one more week of self-delusion. I've tried hard since that SD game, the first without Sanu, to convince myself that this passing offense would materialize. It didn't.

I'm proud to be a fan of a team that many of us left for dead after 3-5 only to watch them go 7-1 over the final 8 games. That was pretty gangster of them. It was scrappy and showed mental toughness. It was only a matter of time before they ran into a team that they couldn't beat with defense covering for a non-existent offense.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
They could've won, but they definitely shouldn't have. If they had won, it would have been a lot like the Bengals vs Cowboys game a few weeks back. The Bengals were dominant most of the game, but they kept coming away with field goals thus remaining in reach. Houston put together some really long drives and wore the defense out, but still failed to capitalized with a touchdown until the middle of the 2nd half.

One play, and we all know what one, could've turned it all around. If Andy didn't overthrow that pass to Green, then we'd all be going through one more week of self-delusion. I've tried hard since that SD game, the first without Sanu, to convince myself that this passing offense would materialize. It didn't.

I'm proud to be a fan of a team that many of us left for dead after 3-5 only to watch them go 7-1 over the final 8 games. That was pretty gangster of them. It was scrappy and showed mental toughness. It was only a matter of time before they ran into a team that they couldn't beat with defense covering for a non-existent offense.
The frustrating part is they allowed a team that was struggling to correct itself against this defense, if it was against a potent offense that was clicking there wouldn't be so much of a letdown as there is from a team like Houston, I certainly never expected the Offense to put up a lot of points but I never expected them to completely neglect AJ Green for the first 35 minutes of the game
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19103

Quote:
Dude, the defense almost won the game by itself. The offense did nothing. That much is obvious.
Sorry.

Zimmer is an idiot then.

If your lineman are swallowed up on every play, blitz FFS.

Happy?

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Sorry.

Zimmer is an idiot then.

If your lineman are swallowed up on every play, blitz FFS.

Happy?
Linemen didn't get swallowed up on every play dude.

What leads you to believe they did?

I was watching the same game you did. Perhaps they didn't get the penetration we'd have liked, but "swallowed up"....That's way harsh bud.

The defense was on point.

When you can't see the obvious anymore, ditch the "PFF" logic.

Happy?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
All in all we were in this game the whole time. Even with the very poor effort bye the offense. Im dissapointed in Dalton, OC,Marvin, OL played decent considering the Texans blitzed the entire game. The defense almost won this game. Yes Im not happy at all. Losing in the playoffs is annoying, especially in the 1st Rnd everytime.

Only thing I can say that is positive is that we really could have won this game, but the offense laid a fat egg. We have alot to build on though.

Also for the record I am losing faith in Dalton.
I'd say that they could've won if Dalton hits that pass. Really though, the Bengals had no business winning that game. They were pretty much dominated.

I also question Dalton. We can all talk about his ability (or lack there of)...but on the biggest stage you want to see your franchise QB and leader play at the top of their game. Two years straight, Dalton has been beyond poor. He's been abysmal in the playoffs and quite frankly seems rattled. I know Dalton looks great on paper, but I don't understand how anybody could not question whether this is 'the guy'
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 14056

Quote:

The offense was ranked #22 going against Houstons #1 defense.

What did you expect ?

We were going to have to win this game on Defense.

This team is fine as is. Just still had holes via letting JJ walk and being forced to replace him.

Those holes can easily be filled with early draft picks.

They will be good if not great for next 5 years straight as long as a mass exodus does not happen. Write it down.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19103

Quote:
Linemen didn't get swallowed up on every play dude.

What leads you to believe they did?

I was watching the same game you did. Perhaps they didn't get the penetration we'd have liked, but "swallowed up"....That's way harsh bud.

The defense was on point.

When you can't see the obvious anymore, ditch the "PFF" logic.

Happy?
lawl, I DID watch the same game.

I saw on EVERY replay, at least 2 lineman (usually Geno) being double teamed, and nobody else rushing.

Think we should've blitzed more than 3 times all game?

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
The offense was ranked #22 going against Houstons #1 defense.

What did you expect ?

We were going to have to win this game on Defense.

This team is fine as is. Just still had holes via letting JJ walk and being forced to replace him.

Those holes can easily be filled with early draft picks.

They will be good if not great for next 5 years straight as long as a mass exodus does not happen. Write it down.
The Texans defense got torched the previous week in a game they needed by a Colts offense that is far from a juggernaut. I expected a lot more but what we got was pathetic and anemic, it was just awful. Since Gruden is the OC, I hold him accountable....I still think he's better than Brat, I think that much is clear, but that ain't saying much, he needs to do a better job, period. I'm sure he'd say the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
lawl, I DID watch the same game.

I saw on EVERY replay, at least 2 lineman (usually Geno) being double teamed, and nobody else rushing.

Think we should've blitzed more than 3 times all game?
Defense held a good offense to 19 points and Leon had an incredible pick six. They carried more than their share of the water. Offense only managed a couple FGs....pathetic. Defense played more than well enough to win a ball game and the offense gave them no help at all.

On the field for almost 40 minutes and they only surrender 19 points to one of the more balanced attacks in the league.....They must have been doing something right whether you agree with the tactics or not.

To be on the field for that long and still keep your team in position to win the game if the offense could have mustered even a single friggin TD is a tremendous defensive effort that should be commended not complained about.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2170

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals mike View Post
i'm not as sold on the defense today as you are knowing they let the texans have the ball for over 38+ minutes and gave up 400+ yards with it, i mean yes they were bend but dont break with the points but 2nd in the league in sacks and 0 for today? I know the texans have 3 pro bowl linemen but that texans line has given up sacks to lesser defenses than this

having said that of course the offense was even worse to take 35 minutes into the game to even as much as look at aj green let alone have him produce anything and to give law firm only 3 carries the entire first half with 43 yards, the first 3 playoff losses were preceded by lesser seasons but when you enter the playoffs as the hot team for once and get to a play a team as down as the texans were and end up making them look this good out of nowhere is just unforgivable
it's the _______ coaching. Always has been always will be.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
The Texans defense got torched the previous week in a game they needed by a Colts offense that is far from a juggernaut. I expected a lot more but what we got was pathetic and anemic, it was just awful. Since Gruden is the OC, I hold him accountable....I still think he's better than Brat, I think that much is clear, but that ain't saying much, he needs to do a better job, period. I'm sure he'd say the same thing.

Defense held a good offense to 19 points and Leon had an incredible pick six. They carried more than their share of the water. Offense only managed a couple FGs....pathetic. Defense played more than well enough to win a ball game and the offense gave them no help at all.

On the field for almost 40 minutes and they only surrender 19 points to one of the more balanced attacks in the league.....They must have been doing something right whether you agree with the tactics or not.

To be on the field for that long and still keep your team in position to win the game if the offense could have mustered even a single friggin TD is a tremendous defensive effort that should be commended not complained about.

Agree with most all you are saying here. Believe Gruden did say as much already. He has a lot a room for growth. But is not driving a race car just yet.

Gruden is new, AJ is new, Boling is new, Zeitler is new, Cook returning from injury, Jones is a rookie, Dalton is new, Hawkins is new, Charles is rookie. Wharton hurt, Sanu hurt, Bernard Scott hurt. Will only get better in future.

If Gresham does not use WD-40 instead of stick-um, or AJ makes that catch, or the O-line could pass block. Things may have looked different.

Gresham, Whit, and Andre are the only real experienced players on that side of ball. None had great games to help the youngsters against the #1 defense in the NFL on the road. Which was desperately needed.

Agree though that the offense was the reason for the loss. But would add Maualuga as well. But the offense was not the only reason the defense was on field so much. They let Houston drive the field all day long.

To try and point to one game as the reason why ? Any given Sunday friend. But the late losses to Houston were via teams pressuring Schaub like they did the Bengals. Schaubs uni did not even need washed after the game ?

Could point to several early season losses where our defense played horrid as well. Those games counted too. Plus we had not already clinched like Houston had.

But really do not blame anybody. Think it was a bad match up all around for Bengals. Ran into the only team in NFL that could neutralize our defensive front 4 and dominate our offense.

But I can live with hanging it on a fellow Cardinal Jay Gruden. Have said before, do not believe Marvin or Gruden are the problem. But feel both are replaceable as well.

Hope all the coaches stay though. Especially Zimmer and Jay Hayes.

Last edited by Go Cards; 01-11-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 466

They should have just put a corner in at MLB to cover the stinking tight end
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118
bengals Re: Should have won

The plain and simple truth is the Texans have more offensive weapons and a better defense than us. Why do we put this game on Dalton? In no way am I saying he played great or anything. But it's one game, where the other team has more talent on both sides of the ball and we were in the game the whole time. I would say Dalton was never given a chance to get in a solid flow and it showed. Every qb has games like this. Aaron Rodgers had an outstanding season last year, but he looked like garbage in their loss to the Chiefs toward the end of the year and again in the playoffs. I wouldn't say Andy played any worse than Rodgers in these games. My point is NOT to give Andy, the coaching staff or other players a pass here. My point it, we must realize we have not gone into a favorable position the last 2 years in the playoffs. 95% of the teams in the NFL would have lost the same 2 games back to back years. The key is to get ourselves in better position, to have a more favorable position next year
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Agree with most all you are saying here. Believe Gruden did say as much already. He has a lot a room for growth. But is not driving a race car just yet.

Gruden is new, AJ is new, Boling is new, Zeitler is new, Cook returning from injury, Jones is a rookie, Dalton is new, Hawkins is new, Charles is rookie. Wharton hurt, Sanu hurt, Bernard Scott hurt. Will only get better in future.

If Gresham does not use WD-40 instead of stick-um, or AJ makes that catch, or the O-line could pass block. Things may have looked different.

Gresham, Whit, and Andre are the only real experienced players on that side of ball. None had great games to help the youngsters against the #1 defense in the NFL on the road. Which was desperately needed.

Agree though that the offense was the reason for the loss. But would add Maualuga as well. But the offense was not the only reason the defense was on field so much. They let Houston drive the field all day long.

To try and point to one game as the reason why ? Any given Sunday friend. But the late losses to Houston were via teams pressuring Schaub like they did the Bengals. Schaubs uni did not even need washed after the game ?

Could point to several early season losses where our defense played horrid as well. Those games counted too. Plus we had not already clinched like Houston had.

But really do not blame anybody. Think it was a bad match up all around for Bengals. Ran into the only team in NFL that could neutralize our defensive front 4 and dominate our offense.

But I can live with hanging it on a fellow Cardinal Jay Gruden. Have said before, do not believe Marvin or Gruden are the problem. But feel both are replaceable as well.

Hope all the coaches stay though. Especially Zimmer and Jay Hayes.
I thought it was a tough match up too but as poorly as the Texans played down the stretch I thought we oughta beat them. If the offense gets in the end zone just once, we win and the Texans defense would still have played a great game. That's what kills me, is how thorough the domination was. Texans D is good, but they're not the 85 Bears, the offense should be ashamed of itself and I'm sure they are.

As far not bringing in new coaches, I disagree, you see the difference Sean Payton's absence had for the Saints, but it ain't gonna happen so I just gotta hope we're able to land a dynamic RB in the draft. I mean look at Kubiak, he's no Vince Lombardi but a balanced offense and good defense are tough to beat.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 970

I'll take what Dalton gave us his first two years. Just compare his numbers with other great QBs, they're comparable. Let's not forget he won 7 out of his last 8 regular season games. Granted the D was lights out but he was getting it done until they put the injured Kyle Cook back in the line up. I get Cook is more experienced, especially against Pitt and Baltimore, but any circus monkey could see the line took a huge step back. \The lack of running game alone was enough evidence, not to mention the collapsing pocket and missed assignments in the middle. This is a poor decision by the coaching staff (Marvin ultimately). The good coachs would never make this mistake after watching the tape week in and week out. Heck, Harbaugh replaced his QB when he was hurt...guess that's working out. The same can be said for Brady replacing an injured Drew Bledsoe (that one ended up working out to BTW).
Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I thought it was a tough match up too but as poorly as the Texans played down the stretch I thought we oughta beat them. If the offense gets in the end zone just once, we win and the Texans defense would still have played a great game. That's what kills me, is how thorough the domination was. Texans D is good, but they're not the 85 Bears, the offense should be ashamed of itself and I'm sure they are.

As far not bringing in new coaches, I disagree, you see the difference Sean Payton's absence had for the Saints, but it ain't gonna happen so I just gotta hope we're able to land a dynamic RB in the draft. I mean look at Kubiak, he's no Vince Lombardi but a balanced offense and good defense are tough to beat.

Agree and that loss was a bitter pill for me to swallow as well. Even though I picked Houston to represent the AFC in SB before season started. Not as confident now, but they are still very solid and no fluke. NFL's #1 defense and #1 offense says a lot.

Been following Jay Grudens career since the 80's when he was my favorite all time UofL QB (Bridgewater is now surpassing, Sorry Jay) is going to make me somewhat biased of course.

You may still get your wish if he is hired as HC. Not sure either, that Marvin does not restrict his OC's somewhat. But who knows.

Still like the future of these Bengals. My favorite Bengals team since the Kenny Anderson years even.
The holes should be filled this off season and next year will weed out the weak links. If Gruden is 1 of them ? So be it. But think he deserves another year because of lack of weapons at his disposal and the learning curve of being new OC. But once again. I am biased on this particular issue.