Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Which WR would you want to trade for?
Miles Austin 21 19.81%
Jason Avant 3 2.83%
Jeremy Maclin 15 14.15%
Brian Hartline 12 11.32%
Davon Bess 1 0.94%
Nate Burleson 1 0.94%
Santonio Holmes 5 4.72%
Denarius Moore 2 1.89%
the #2 is already on our team 35 33.02%
Other (please explain) 11 10.38%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1715
Default Re: we still need a number 2 receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
Those teams also have Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, and Ben Roethlisberger. I think they have a little bit to do with how good some of those guys you mentioned are. And your going to go with Little and Gordon and Hartline and Bess? What?
You take away aj green we have one of the worst receiving core in the nfl. eli struggled with nicks hurt.
rodgers was a little shaky without jennings for awhile. steelers struggled without brown.

Last edited by bengalfan4life27c; 01-07-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2432

So basically you take anyone's number 1 WR away and they don't do as well is what your saying? I think everyone would agree with that. I just think to many people are focusing on WR and think that will fix the problems with this team. I just see it different. I think better play calling, a change of pace RB, and upgrading the Interior line (especially Center) is needed a lot more. On top of those things I feel if Dalton then plays better the talent we have a WR will be much more obvious to everyone. Let's see Green, Sanu, and Jones all on the field next year with an upgraded line, a better RB, and Dalton playing with more confidence like earlier this past season. Ideally we would have picked up Carl Nicks and Reggie Wayne last offseason but it's not how this team works. We only have so many picks and don't spend money on big FA so it is a matter of the young guys already here and what positions need the biggest upgrades. You guys feel WR and I feel we have more talent at that spot than most others.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan4life27c View Post
Falcons have julio jones roddy white. pack have jennings nelson giants nicks and cruz. steelers wallace and brown saints moore and colston. Heck even the passing challenged ravens have bolden and smith. while aj is better than anyone mentioned. marvin jones or even sanu for that matter are not close to any of these guys. even the clowns gorfon and little or dolphins bess and hartline are better than what we have. Take off your homer glasses people and realize this is a problem. If we didnt have a great defense we would finish like the lions. A number 1 wide receiver like aj needs some help.
Thank you for saying that because on these forums we have a common misconception that every rookie on our team will give you 1,000 yards just like people thought binns and tate were going to be good -__-
Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1715

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
So basically you take anyone's number 1 WR away and they don't do as well is what your saying? I think everyone would agree with that. I just think to many people are focusing on WR and think that will fix the problems with this team. I just see it different. I think better play calling, a change of pace RB, and upgrading the Interior line (especially Center) is needed a lot more. On top of those things I feel if Dalton then plays better the talent we have a WR will be much more obvious to everyone. Let's see Green, Sanu, and Jones all on the field next year with an upgraded line, a better RB, and Dalton playing with more confidence like earlier this past season. Ideally we would have picked up Carl Nicks and Reggie Wayne last offseason but it's not how this team works. We only have so many picks and don't spend money on big FA so it is a matter of the young guys already here and what positions need the biggest upgrades. You guys feel WR and I feel we have more talent at that spot than most others.
Dalton took alot more sacks this year you know why? Because he had to eat the ball alot more due to nobody being open. Dont give me it was the lines fault. 75 percent of the sacks dalton took was due to the fact nobody was open. You need more than 1 receiver in the NFL. when dalton started playing better. Was due to sanu emerging as a redzone threat gave him another target besides aj. Sanu wasnt getting seperation except in the redzone. Marvin jones hasnt been getting any separation period. He played ok against steelers but that was against their number 4 corner and frankly he should have done alot more considering the match up.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2582
Default Re: If the team were to trade for a #2 WR.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
Totally agree.need to trade for a q-back, to get them the ball.
disagree. AD has had no problems getting AJ 1300 yards this season. give him more weapons at WR and TE and he can be great. Manning, Brady, Rodgers all have good to great WRs and TEs while we have a TE with hands of stone and 1 great WR and a half dozen poor to mediocre WRs.

imagine if dalton had mario manningham or miles austin opposite of AJ to throw to as well as a dallas clark or Gronk?

teams double teamed AJ all the time knowing that we did not have a legit #2 as a threat for them to worry about.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16313

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyWalker View Post
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No

They need a real veteran #2 WR. Sick of waiting on 3rd round picks to "develop" and "stay healthy"
Read what I wrote, then you won't look like a bonehead.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
First he was not underthrown (stop with the anti-Dalton memes). Second he has promise but is the wrong type of receiver for the problem we have - he is a speed guy who will thrive running the post (like Slim). What we lack is a "TJ" type - a big possession receiver who works in traffic and reliably catches the ball.
Whalen and Sanu are both like that.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10367

Danario Alexander RFA Chargers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEeieU1cjVM

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6521
bengals Re: If the team were to trade for a #2 WR.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
The 4 game stretch when Sanu came into his own proved to me that he's got what it takes to be a legitimate #2 threat that other teams need to account for on multiple levels.
I'm still not sold on Sanu.. if you take the 5 games where he finally started getting catches and project them over a 16 game season, it is only 51 catches for 493 yards.. while 3 of his 4 TDs came from the worst and third worst team in the entire league in 2012 (Raiders and Chiefs).

51 catches, 493 yards, 13 TDs screams more to me "redzone receiver" rather than true #2 threat.. or even a #3 Housh possession-type receiver.

------
I would love to sign Bowe as a FA, but if a trade is the only choice, I guess Davone Bess..... Bess would be a great possession type reciever, good for getting first downs and shouldn't cost much.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.

Last edited by TheLeonardLeap; 01-08-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Whalen and Sanu are both like that.
Sanu is hurt and Whalen is totally unproven. Simple logic dictates that instead of staking the season on gambling that players will immediately return 100% from injuries or totally unproven players will pan out we get a proven veteran to make sure we don't have this gap next season too.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 886

Personally, I think we have the receivers we need in Sanu and MLJ. If we do have to find a #2 outside of the roster, the best move would be a short-term contract to a veteran while the aforementioned Sanu and MLJ develop. To be honest, we should've been more pro-active in getting a veteran rental #2 this year so Sanu and MLJ could've spent this season learning before being thrown directly into the line of fire.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6314

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanHero View Post
Personally, I think we have the receivers we need in Sanu and MLJ. If we do have to find a #2 outside of the roster, the best move would be a short-term contract to a veteran while the aforementioned Sanu and MLJ develop. To be honest, we should've been more pro-active in getting a veteran rental #2 this year so Sanu and MLJ could've spent this season learning before being thrown directly into the line of fire.
That's really all some of us are looking for - a proven veteran possession receiver who can cover the middle and/or endzone and be a reliable outlet target. He doesn't have to be Megatron II just someone who runs routes correctly and hangs on to the ball.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
Who would you want on this team as our legit #2?
Why would you trade for a FA like Hartline? Why wouldn't you just sign him?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
I'm still not sold on Sanu.. if you take the 5 games where he finally started getting catches and project them over a 16 game season, it is only 51 catches for 493 yards.. while 3 of his 4 TDs came from the worst and third worst team in the entire league in 2012 (Raiders and Chiefs).

51 catches, 493 yards, 13 TDs screams more to me "redzone receiver" rather than true #2 threat.. or even a #3 Housh possession-type receiver.

------
I would love to sign Bowe as a FA, but if a trade is the only choice, I guess Davone Bess..... Bess would be a great possession type reciever, good for getting first downs and shouldn't cost much.
One word for you ..........ROOKIE!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Why would you trade for a FA like Hartline? Why wouldn't you just sign him?
i was unaware that he was a FA. I have a life outside of football so I dont spend all my time watching and monitoring who is or isnt an FA.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
You get Green Sanu and Other (m Jones FA or what have you) on the field at the same time...

Other Goes Deep Green middle to deep and Sanu in the middle on a crossing route and someone should be open.

And Gresham gets a false start =(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Demagii View Post
Why not let the promising young players-Sanu, Jones, and Hawkins develop? Seriously!
Sanu and hawkins are not #2 WRs they are slot and jones should develop people get mad when we don't get free agents but at the same time everyone yells save money for our own people
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 102

I would take some of these guys by a little over what we have, but we have too many glaring holes elsewhere to prioritize WR this year. If they somehow land a top LB (or 2?), a good FS, and bring back Johnson/Smith and can still go after one of these guys... then sure.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448

Quote:
disagree. AD has had no problems getting AJ 1300 yards this season. give him more weapons at WR and TE and he can be great. Manning, Brady, Rodgers all have good to great WRs and TEs while we have a TE with hands of stone and 1 great WR and a half dozen poor to mediocre WRs.

imagine if dalton had mario manningham or miles austin opposite of AJ to throw to as well as a dallas clark or Gronk?

teams double teamed AJ all the time knowing that we did not have a legit #2 as a threat for them to worry about.
Yea, keep believing that.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448

Quote:
i was unaware that he was a FA. I have a life outside of football so I dont spend all my time watching and monitoring who is or isnt an FA.
Then keep quiet, until you know what you are talking about, that simple.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30147

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltongreen12 View Post
Sanu and hawkins are not #2 WRs they are slot and jones should develop people get mad when we don't get free agents but at the same time everyone yells save money for our own people
Hawkins we have already Seen his Celling...

M Jones might develope into a Henry type WR (not as good but used in a similar way)

The star WRs we have are Sanu and Green.. Sanu might be a slot guy. But #2 WR doesnt refer to who plays X or Y it refers to who gets the Catches. And that will probly be Sanu.

Now if we want someone to play opposite of Green i dont see how Sanu doesnt work.

Sanu = TJ Green = Chad (as a comparsion) Sanu's stats arent great but he didnt get used hardly at all this year minus a few games and 1 pass.

We can Grab Another WR to put on the Outside which will be great because then we can use Sanu inside and never have to throw a ball to Gresham again.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8921

trade gresham for deshaun jackson
4th Cameron Fleming T
5th AJ McCarron QB
6th Justin Jones TE
6th Beau Allen DT
7th Yawin Smallwood LB
7th Anthony Steen G
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Then keep quiet, until you know what you are talking about, that simple.
so because i did not know hartline is a FA, i have no idea what im talking about? i have every right to talk about this, all you can do is correct me and go on from there, but you feel the need to tell me what to do and when and etc, etc.

Bet that makes you feel good about yourself doesnt it.

How about you be quiet and not be such an arsehole!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Yea, keep believing that.
i will and you can go back to living whatever life of tyranny you choose to.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Neither do I but if I am going to start a thread I do my homework.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Neither do I but if I am going to start a thread I do my homework.
i understand what you are saying but it is one player and all of a sudden i dont know what i am talking about? I dont follow dolphins. i simply went on NFL.com and looked at these guys stats and ages and such.

Im just a fan, Not an espn analyst like i evidentally have to be to be able to discuss things on here