Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 791
Default State of the Bengals (1st round pick suggestion)

Owner Mike Brown has shown a surprising disregard for history these past few years by making logical decisions in the drafts and bringing in good free agents (Newman/Jones are good free agents). Kudo's to him and I hope he continues this pattern.

Coaching staff- I am a generally optimistic person and I have to say I am happy with our coaching staff. Lewis does a good job managing the personnel and our coordinators and position coaches are doing well with their guys. I would like to see a little more production this coming season, specifically with our LB's against the pass and our WR's on catching the ball.

Offense - I think the talent is here, just the execution is not where it should be. I enjoyed the early season tricky plays, such as a reverse and my personal favorite play of the year, Sanu launching a perfect pass to Green in the opening of the Redskins game. We need to go back to our run first mentality, as it worked for Cedric Benson and it is now working with The Law Firm as well. When we are running for 100 yards a game, we are putting ourselves in position to win every time. We need to get back to this. Going 2nd & 2 gives us the opportunity to go hog wild down the field, but get us that 1st down and keep the drive alive. I think we need more trick plays and creativity with Gresham. This unit can win games and I hope we see that in 2013.

Defense - This unit needs no introduction. You cannot ask any more of this defense. They are not flawless, but you wouldn't have 3 wins without their impressive play. As always, Reggie Nelson is my favorite member of this team... come at me!

Special Teams - Cut Tate and we are in business. I was beyond furious with his fielding the ball this season. I mean, seriously, he would try to make a play from the 1 yard line. I have to give it up to the coaching staff for the trick plays early this season, Peerman had his breakout run on that punt. Boom Herron had a wonderful block a few weeks ago and I think this is a good unit. Pacman is a good punt returner and I would like to see him back next season.

I offer my first draft pick at this point. I'm going to suggest a WR who is a great special teams player. He comes out of Tennessee and you may already know who I am talking about.

Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

this guy is a beast on special teams and has a knack for evading defenders. Hawkins is a great screen guy, but this could add a whole different dimension to our team and this is how. Line up 2 tight ends on either side of the formation with Hawkins on 1 side and Patterson on the other. With the Law Firm in the back field, this could add a whole different level to this formation. The defensive coordinator now has to decided whether to blitz for the run, sit back in coverage hoping all 4 don't run routes, or to defend the screen. It is just how I envision Patterson being incorporated into the team. Look the guy up though, who ever gets him will get a special teams dominator!
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread...47#post3134847

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite;3135756
Todd Gurley is going to be the next top RB in college football... Gurley needs to be in stripes. He isn't going to be in the draft this year, but next season, he needs to be wearing stripes.
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread...56#post3135756

Last edited by WalterWhite; 01-07-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 348
Default Re: State of the Bengals (1st round pick suggestion)

could not freakin agree more! I just got done saying in another thread that this kid doesnt even realize how much of a freak he is yet. We passed on moss, u dont pass on this kid...he's gonna be lightin up db's real stinkin soon!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7124
bengals Re: State of the Bengals (1st round pick suggestion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite View Post
this guy is a beast on special teams and has a knack for evading defenders. Hawkins is a great screen guy, but this could add a whole different dimension to our team and this is how. Line up 2 tight ends on either side of the formation with Hawkins on 1 side and Patterson on the other. With the Law Firm in the back field, this could add a whole different level to this formation. The defensive coordinator now has to decided whether to blitz for the run, sit back in coverage hoping all 4 don't run routes, or to defend the screen. It is just how I envision Patterson being incorporated into the team. Look the guy up though, who ever gets him will get a special teams dominator!
All of the rest of the post aside.. you're telling me your ideal offensive formation involves AJ Green being on the sideline? Don't tell me.. is your name Jay Gruden?

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
All of the rest of the post aside.. you're telling me your ideal offensive formation involves AJ Green being on the sideline? Don't tell me.. is your name Jay Gruden?
It's not the ideal formation, no. It is just a different type of play to get us some yards and momentum. If we aren't throwing to him for 30 minutes at a time, no since in having him on the field though.
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread...47#post3134847

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterWhite;3135756
Todd Gurley is going to be the next top RB in college football... Gurley needs to be in stripes. He isn't going to be in the draft this year, but next season, he needs to be wearing stripes.
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread...56#post3135756
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1446

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
That's exactly what I thought when I read this.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 468

Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama.

Kid is a monster and whatever your thoughts on BGE, there are no GLARING holes needing filled yet, draft talent, let them go hit someone.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 165

I won't complain about drafting offensive skill players but I'd rather get a vet receiver and build the ol and pick up a lb and ss. But both the rb and wr listed here look good.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2053

I posted this on ESPN.com but it applies here pretty well, my thoughts on the 1st (ish) round. I doubt we would move up (though I wouldn't necc.hate it if we did) so I went with guys who have a shot to be there for us at 21 and possibly even guys who might be there with our early 2nd. Of course this is so early yet and based on Tood and Mel's rankings, I haven't had a good chance to look much beyond the 1st round yet.

OT - To possibly replace Andre Smith who is a FA, I believe. I for one am hoping they pass on signing him to another contract not to mention a much bigger contract than his 1st. Guy hasn't played a full season yet and for good reason as he has always failed to show enough commitment to conditioning.

Eric Fisher Central Michigan, Taylor Lewan Michigan

S - Crocker played farely well again but was also again hurt in the end. And this from a guy the Bengals cut in the offseason because they wanted to get better but none of the in house options (Mays, Clements, Miles, Iloka) could outplay him. So that's easy math, the guy who played the best they were looking to replace in the 1st place.

Kenny Vaccaro Texas

RB - The Law Firm is a nice steady back but unfortunately that fits much better in New England where big plays in the passing game were all over the field most days. In this Bengal offense Green has proven to be the only consistent offensive threat. There is simply a need to make the offense as a whole more dynamic so the defense has to cover more of the field. I think they invested at WR last season and they have something there with Sanu & Jones who fit great as #2 & #3 WR's, time to allow them to develop along with their slot guy and TE. If the RB position was more of a threat those WR's would do just fine. Give 'em another year and a more dynamic RB and see what happens.

Kenjon Barner Oregon, Giovani Bernard N.C., Montee Ball Wisconsin, Marcus Lattimore S.C., Eddie Lacy Alabama

ILB - Yeah I agree on this position Maualuga is a good kid and a decent 2 down LB, but he simply cannot cover decent pass catching RB's or TE with any consistency. If you gave him a good cover Safety behind him and got him off the field in obvious passing situations you could get by with him. But after the Texans game it might be better for Rey if he moved on to another team who can use him in the aforementioned role with fans who will not have seen him get abused in the passing game.

Alec Ogletree Georgia

DE/OLB - One can never have enough pass rush and my guess is there are a few in this portion of the draft who could be the default choice if someone of need doesn't fall to the Bengals.

Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU, Dion Jordan Oregon

2010 Bengals Draft Prospect Profiles Thread
Link

2011 Bengals Draft Prospect Profiles Thread
Link

E.Bruce/P.Brown/W.Hayes

Last edited by Scarlet&Orange; 01-08-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet&Orange View Post
OT - To possibly replace Andre Smith who is a FA, I believe. I for one am hoping they pass on signing him to another contract not to mention a much bigger contract than his 1st. Guy hasn't played a full season yet and for good reason as he has always failed to show enough commitment to conditioning.

Eric Fisher Central Michigan, Taylor Lewan Michigan

Andre just played a full season. He played 14 of 16 last year. He's improved massively since his first year and is better than the majority of RTs out there. I hope we do resign him as he is a big part of the running game that everyone want to get going so much.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverhampton Bengal View Post
Andre just played a full season. He played 14 of 16 last year. He's improved massively since his first year and is better than the majority of RTs out there. I hope we do resign him as he is a big part of the running game that everyone want to get going so much.
Good in the run game but gets abused against any sort of good rusher. I'd like us to move on if there is a liable option, if not sign him but no big money at all. He doesn't deserve it.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverhampton Bengal View Post
I stand corrected, he did get thru all 16 this year, though I will say not all that effectively. The running game disappeared over the last half dozen games. However I still stand by my feelings, I wouldn't give him a big deal but based on his still untapped potential someone will take the risk. I think it's a foolish risk as he surprisingly stayed on the field when he had to (his walk year) but has not done so in the 3 years prior.

2010 Bengals Draft Prospect Profiles Thread
Link

2011 Bengals Draft Prospect Profiles Thread
Link

E.Bruce/P.Brown/W.Hayes
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet&Orange View Post
I stand corrected, he did get thru all 16 this year, though I will say not all that effectively. The running game disappeared over the last half dozen games. However I still stand by my feelings, I wouldn't give him a big deal but based on his still untapped potential someone will take the risk. I think it's a foolish risk as he surprisingly stayed on the field when he had to (his walk year) but has not done so in the 3 years prior.
The running game disappeared?

In the last 7 games BJGE had the following:

It got a lot better as the year went on.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

There are a couple different scenarios I would run with......

1.) Looke for Alec Ogletree from Georgia. But I have seen him mocked to the Bears in almost every single mock out there which ***** because that means he wont be there when we pick.

If Ogletree is gone when we pick, then I suggest.....

2.) I would really love to see the Bengals trade down a couple of picks and take Eddie Lacy from Bama. Trading down may result in a couple more draft picks, which always help.

If Lacy ends up being projected in the second round, which I would love to see....

3.) I would go Best Player Available, whether its an Offensive Lineman, Defensive End (okafor, montgomery [even though many no longer want him after the photo the Strength coach posted], Ansah or whoever), maybe even Safety. You can NEVER go wrong with Best Player Available.

There are a ton of different scenarios. Right now, I would say LB is our biggest issue so that needs to be addressed first. Then the running / passing attack, then safety.

Those are my suggestions!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3109

Draft a center or safety.