Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Bengalsman1983 Bengalsman1983 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Huber Heights, OH
Posts: 585
Rep Points: 518
Default As of right now you can't do better :)

1. Alec Ogletree LB Georgia Move Burfict to MLB, Resign Howard to play WLB, and Ogletree to SAM

2A. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama Feature back who can run over people or run past them on the open field.

2B. Travis Frederick OC Wisconsin 6'4' 338 lbs. man beast! Put him next to his old teammate from Wisconsin and let this train role for the next 10 years.

3. Baccari Rambo Safety Georgia Strong Safety of the future and day one starter. Crocker has more football knowledge than physical skills left and Mays has physical talent but on football intelligence. Rambo will have a combination of both.

4. Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois This man is a flat out athlete. Rated as the #1 WR prospect coming out of high school. He is the best athlete when he is on the field. He returns punts & kickoffs for Illinois. Bye-Bye Tate!

5. Tavarres King WR Georgia 6-1 200 lbs King will fight for the final WR spot on the roster or replace a guy like Whalen. Another Georgia Bulldog for us to groom.

6A. Etienne Sabino LB OSU Sabino has played both SAM and WLB. He was the most productive LB for OSU until he got injured. I think he grades out higher than a 6th round pick but will drop because of the injury.

6B. Dustin Hopkin Kicker FSU Hopkins is the best kicker I have seen in the last 3-4 drafts. Nugent is currently being out kicked by a kicker off the street. It is time for a long term solution.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Hammerstripes Hammerstripes is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Atkinson, NE
Posts: 7,481
Rep Points: 6283
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
1. Alec Ogletree LB Georgia Move Burfict to MLB, Resign Howard to play WLB, and Ogletree to SAM

2A. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama Feature back who can run over people or run past them on the open field.

2B. Travis Frederick OC Wisconsin 6'4' 338 lbs. man beast! Put him next to his old teammate from Wisconsin and let this train role for the next 10 years.

3. Baccari Rambo Safety Georgia Strong Safety of the future and day one starter. Crocker has more football knowledge than physical skills left and Mays has physical talent but on football intelligence. Rambo will have a combination of both.

4. Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois This man is a flat out athlete. Rated as the #1 WR prospect coming out of high school. He is the best athlete when he is on the field. He returns punts & kickoffs for Illinois. Bye-Bye Tate!

5. Tavarres King WR Georgia 6-1 200 lbs King will fight for the final WR spot on the roster or replace a guy like Whalen. Another Georgia Bulldog for us to groom.

6A. Etienne Sabino LB OSU Sabino has played both SAM and WLB. He was the most productive LB for OSU until he got injured. I think he grades out higher than a 6th round pick but will drop because of the injury.

6B. Dustin Hopkin Kicker FSU Hopkins is the best kicker I have seen in the last 3-4 drafts. Nugent is currently being out kicked by a kicker off the street. It is time for a long term solution.

What do you think?
Nice draft, but I don't see any way the Bengals draft a center. They had a chance last year to draft Konz and they passed. Now they have 2 that have logged meaningful NFL games.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Bengalsman1983 Bengalsman1983 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Huber Heights, OH
Posts: 585
Rep Points: 518
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
Nice draft, but I don't see any way the Bengals draft a center. They had a chance last year to draft Konz and they passed. Now they have 2 that have logged meaningful NFL games.
Cook should not return to this team and Frederick grades out to a long term starter in the NFL. Even if you want Robinson to start at center then move Frederick to LG where he also played while at Wisconsin. Either way it is a win-win situation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Burma's Avatar
Burma Burma is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,430
Rep Points: 4929
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
1. Alec Ogletree LB Georgia Move Burfict to MLB, Resign Howard to play WLB, and Ogletree to SAM

2A. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama Feature back who can run over people or run past them on the open field.

2B. Travis Frederick OC Wisconsin 6'4' 338 lbs. man beast! Put him next to his old teammate from Wisconsin and let this train role for the next 10 years.

3. Baccari Rambo Safety Georgia Strong Safety of the future and day one starter. Crocker has more football knowledge than physical skills left and Mays has physical talent but on football intelligence. Rambo will have a combination of both.

4. Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois This man is a flat out athlete. Rated as the #1 WR prospect coming out of high school. He is the best athlete when he is on the field. He returns punts & kickoffs for Illinois. Bye-Bye Tate!

5. Tavarres King WR Georgia 6-1 200 lbs King will fight for the final WR spot on the roster or replace a guy like Whalen. Another Georgia Bulldog for us to groom.

6A. Etienne Sabino LB OSU Sabino has played both SAM and WLB. He was the most productive LB for OSU until he got injured. I think he grades out higher than a 6th round pick but will drop because of the injury.

6B. Dustin Hopkin Kicker FSU Hopkins is the best kicker I have seen in the last 3-4 drafts. Nugent is currently being out kicked by a kicker off the street. It is time for a long term solution.

What do you think?
Swap out Sabino for Michael Williams, TE, Alabama and I'll think its damn near ideal. Hawthorne does worry me a bit though. If Ace Sanders enters the draft this year I would, hopefully, take him at 4.
__________________
Quote:
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...


Last edited by Burma; 01-08-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Hammerstripes Hammerstripes is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Atkinson, NE
Posts: 7,481
Rep Points: 6283
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
Cook should not return to this team and Frederick grades out to a long term starter in the NFL. Even if you want Robinson to start at center then move Frederick to LG where he also played while at Wisconsin. Either way it is a win-win situation.
I get that and I agree with that. I just don't think there is any way the Bengals draft center or sadly enough an OG because of Boling, Cook and Robinson. They are all young and under contract.

If I had my way about it, I would figure out a way to get the following guys with our first 3 picks:

Warmack
Frederick or Jones
Vacarro
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM
BBlesmiley's Avatar
BBlesmiley BBlesmiley is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 809
Rep Points: 439
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
Swap out Sabino for Michael Williams, TE, Alabama and I'll think its damn near ideal. Hawthorne does worry me a bit though. If Ace Sanders enters the draft this year I would, hopefully, take him at 4.
If you happen to get a chance dig up the Hawthorne matchup against Quinton Patton and you would be even more worried.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Bengalsman1983 Bengalsman1983 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Huber Heights, OH
Posts: 585
Rep Points: 518
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlesmiley View Post
If you happen to get a chance dig up the Hawthorne matchup against Quinton Patton and you would be even more worried.
He doesn't worry me any more than having Tate return kickoffs and punts. Hawthorne would excel in the return game. Hawthorne would never be a starting CB unless there is an injury. He is an upgrade over Allen at CB and Newman is on his last leg.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Brunz Brunz is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CINCINNATI!!!
Posts: 532
Rep Points: 178
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
1. Alec Ogletree LB Georgia Move Burfict to MLB, Resign Howard to play WLB, and Ogletree to SAM

2A. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama Feature back who can run over people or run past them on the open field.

2B. Travis Frederick OC Wisconsin 6'4' 338 lbs. man beast! Put him next to his old teammate from Wisconsin and let this train role for the next 10 years.

3. Baccari Rambo Safety Georgia Strong Safety of the future and day one starter. Crocker has more football knowledge than physical skills left and Mays has physical talent but on football intelligence. Rambo will have a combination of both.

4. Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois This man is a flat out athlete. Rated as the #1 WR prospect coming out of high school. He is the best athlete when he is on the field. He returns punts & kickoffs for Illinois. Bye-Bye Tate!

5. Tavarres King WR Georgia 6-1 200 lbs King will fight for the final WR spot on the roster or replace a guy like Whalen. Another Georgia Bulldog for us to groom.

6A. Etienne Sabino LB OSU Sabino has played both SAM and WLB. He was the most productive LB for OSU until he got injured. I think he grades out higher than a 6th round pick but will drop because of the injury.

6B. Dustin Hopkin Kicker FSU Hopkins is the best kicker I have seen in the last 3-4 drafts. Nugent is currently being out kicked by a kicker off the street. It is time for a long term solution.

What do you think?
Great, but I like Barner from Oregon in the 4th instead. Him Lacy and BGE would be pretty solid group of backs. Barner is a Home run/ punt and kick return specialist. All I have to say is bye bye Tate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
1. Alec Ogletree LB Georgia Move Burfict to MLB, Resign Howard to play WLB, and Ogletree to SAM

2A. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama Feature back who can run over people or run past them on the open field.

2B. Travis Frederick OC Wisconsin 6'4' 338 lbs. man beast! Put him next to his old teammate from Wisconsin and let this train role for the next 10 years.

3. Baccari Rambo Safety Georgia Strong Safety of the future and day one starter. Crocker has more football knowledge than physical skills left and Mays has physical talent but on football intelligence. Rambo will have a combination of both.

4. Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois This man is a flat out athlete. Rated as the #1 WR prospect coming out of high school. He is the best athlete when he is on the field. He returns punts & kickoffs for Illinois. Bye-Bye Tate!

5. Tavarres King WR Georgia 6-1 200 lbs King will fight for the final WR spot on the roster or replace a guy like Whalen. Another Georgia Bulldog for us to groom.

6A. Etienne Sabino LB OSU Sabino has played both SAM and WLB. He was the most productive LB for OSU until he got injured. I think he grades out higher than a 6th round pick but will drop because of the injury.

6B. Dustin Hopkin Kicker FSU Hopkins is the best kicker I have seen in the last 3-4 drafts. Nugent is currently being out kicked by a kicker off the street. It is time for a long term solution.

What do you think?
swap out Hawthorne for Leon McFadden and Sabino for Micheal Williams and it looks much better.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlesmiley View Post
If you happen to get a chance dig up the Hawthorne matchup against Quinton Patton and you would be even more worried.
Quinton Patton made him look silly.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
He doesn't worry me any more than having Tate return kickoffs and punts. Hawthorne would excel in the return game. Hawthorne would never be a starting CB unless there is an injury. He is an upgrade over Allen at CB and Newman is on his last leg.
But why Hawthorne there when you can get someone who can actually play on the field and maybe even start one day. If you were looking for a CB to do returns in that round then I'd look at Bushell and Robert Alford.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 PM
mulligan mulligan is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 10,449
Rep Points: 6245
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
I get that and I agree with that. I just don't think there is any way the Bengals draft center or sadly enough an OG because of Boling, Cook and Robinson. They are all young and under contract.

If I had my way about it, I would figure out a way to get the following guys with our first 3 picks:

Warmack
Frederick or Jones
Vacarro
Adding an additional 2 olinemen in 2013 would be overkill especially considering the needs at other positions.

In regards to Cook, I posted this somewhere else. But it is also relevant here.

Why wouldn't the Bengal draft a C?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnat...als/kyle-cook/
Kyle Cook has $1.92 million remaining in pro-rated bonsues.

If the Bengals would cut Cook, the $1.92 million would be "dead cost."

But, Cook is projected to have a $3.34 million salary cap hit next year if he is a Bengals.

Cutting Cook would free up $1.42 million for the Bengals in 2013, $3.34 in 2014, & $3.34 in 2015.

It seems to me that the Bengals are interested in free up cash to sign some big time free agents if not in 2013, especially in 2014 and beyond. (MJ, Smith, Dalton, Green, Gresham?).

Perhaps, some forgot that Trevor Robinson was a rookie in 2012. It is a known fact that olinemen really take a step forward from year 1 to year 2 in strength and playbook understanding.

Despite the shift from a veteran Center to an UDFA, the drop off in production was negligible from Cook to Robinson. IMO, this hurts Cook's status.

Some question why the Bengals started Kyle Cook against the Steelers, Ravens, and Texans. I believe it was based on knowledge and experience against more complex blitzes.

WTS, I believe that Robinson will both bolster his strength and understanding in 2013 which could thereby further reduce Kyle Cook to an expensive bench-warmer.

Hence, I think that the Bengals will consider cutting Kyle Cook in 2013 and perhaps upgrading a Center in the 2013 draft.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Adding an additional 2 olinemen in 2013 would be overkill especially considering the needs at other positions.

In regards to Cook, I posted this somewhere else. But it is also relevant here.

Why wouldn't the Bengal draft a C?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnat...als/kyle-cook/
Kyle Cook has $1.92 million remaining in pro-rated bonsues.

If the Bengals would cut Cook, the $1.92 million would be "dead cost."

But, Cook is projected to have a $3.34 million salary cap hit next year if he is a Bengals.

Cutting Cook would free up $1.42 million for the Bengals in 2013, $3.34 in 2014, & $3.34 in 2015.

It seems to me that the Bengals are interested in free up cash to sign some big time free agents if not in 2013, especially in 2014 and beyond. (MJ, Smith, Dalton, Green, Gresham?).

Perhaps, some forgot that Trevor Robinson was a rookie in 2012. It is a known fact that olinemen really take a step forward from year 1 to year 2 in strength and playbook understanding.

Despite the shift from a veteran Center to an UDFA, the drop off in production was negligible from Cook to Robinson. IMO, this hurts Cook's status.

Some question why the Bengals started Kyle Cook against the Steelers, Ravens, and Texans. I believe it was based on knowledge and experience against more complex blitzes.

WTS, I believe that Robinson will both bolster his strength and understanding in 2013 which could thereby further reduce Kyle Cook to an expensive bench-warmer.

Hence, I think that the Bengals will consider cutting Kyle Cook in 2013 and perhaps upgrading a Center in the 2013 draft.

It wouldn't be overkill, it would lock up the O Line for the next 6 years or so(untilwe have to replace Whit). Boling and Robinson can be added depth and Cook can be cut.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
mulligan mulligan is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 10,449
Rep Points: 6245
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
It wouldn't be overkill, it would lock up the O Line for the next 6 years or so(untilwe have to replace Whit). Boling and Robinson can be added depth and Cook can be cut.
It is overkill. Especially considering the Bengals have many needs; RB1, CoP RB, LB x 2, SS, WR2, RT2, TE3.

Using the same logic, the Bengals could "overkill" at another positional group and lock up the next 6 years. Why not draft a 1st round DT & 2nd round DE and create an awesome dline? Why not? Because there are other needs and it would be overkill.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: As of right now you can't do better :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
It is overkill. Especially considering the Bengals have many needs; RB1, CoP RB, LB x 2, SS, WR2, RT2, TE3.

Using the same logic, the Bengals could "overkill" at another positional group and lock up the next 6 years. Why not draft a 1st round DT & 2nd round DE and create an awesome dline? Why not? Because there are other needs and it would be overkill.
It's NOT overkill when we have many FA's and some will not be back. Until we can better protect Dalton we're a 1 and done team in the playoffs every year. So with $$$$ to spend and plenty of picks all the needs can be met. That's the goal anyway you look at it no matter how you get there. Just because you don't like the way I approach it means it's wrong.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.