Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 PM
gardner30's Avatar
gardner30 gardner30 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,901
Rep Points: 4231
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...t-cap-strategy

Well, there should be ZERO excuse for signing all of our young talent in the offseason. The Bengals lead the NFL in cap space.
I would suspect Andre and MJ to eat up about 15 mil or so of that money, if they are re-signed.

An Atkins deal might push it to 25 mil.

I can't see Hobson being able to write a cap excuse article this year though.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Au165 Au165 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,769
Rep Points: 5721
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
I would suspect Andre and MJ to eat up about 15 mil or so of that money, if they are re-signed.

An Atkins deal might push it to 25 mil.

I can't see Hobson being able to write a cap excuse article this year though.
There is a minimum threshold this year they must meet. At worst they will be even with a lot of teams at best we can outspend all of them.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
JungleRock85's Avatar
JungleRock85 JungleRock85 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Posts: 1,942
Rep Points: 2610
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardner30 View Post
I would suspect Andre and MJ to eat up about 15 mil or so of that money, if they are re-signed.

An Atkins deal might push it to 25 mil.

I can't see Hobson being able to write a cap excuse article this year though.
Oh he will write one. It will be similar to the last couple of years when we let Joseph walk and then with a young talented team coming into this season we didn't bring in a big time talent in FA when we clearly had room to do so. The excuse continues to be we have to account for the young talent on this team. He used to say Mauluga and Hall, etc. Now we have to save money for deals for AJ, Andy, Geno, Dunlap. We have plenty of room and there is smart ways to get those deals done and still bring in talented FA but Mike Brown saves as much as possible and will spend what he has to to be close enough to the cap now and nothing more.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
gardner30's Avatar
gardner30 gardner30 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,901
Rep Points: 4231
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

The team only needs a few supplemental pieces, no splashes.

They should be able to find those pieces priced right.

The pieces you pay big for are already here, just need to keep them.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Hammerstripes Hammerstripes is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Atkinson, NE
Posts: 7,651
Rep Points: 6793
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Well, either way, you should be able to front load a lot of deals and leave the future year's cap space in good shape.

Granted, we do have a bunch of free agents, but there is no reason that this team shouldn't return intact with the starters (minus the ones we don't want back)
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,884
Rep Points: 8983
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

We had $30 million in cap space when we lost Joseph.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
D.Boon's Avatar
D.Boon D.Boon is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,184
Rep Points: 2759
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
We had $30 million in cap space when we lost Joseph.
There was also no mandate to spend to the Salary Cap floor. The new CBA specifically put this in to address free riders like Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson. What hasn't been made clear is what the penalty is. In other words, MB might be able to save more money just absorbing the penalty and remaining 30 mil under cap.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Bengalsman1983 Bengalsman1983 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Huber Heights, OH
Posts: 588
Rep Points: 540
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

This should be simple. Let Maualuga, Cook, and Sims walk (only bc we have Still & Thompson). Those savings alone should land us Dwayne Bowe or an equally talented #2 WR along with resigning Andre Smith & MJ. We then sign Atkins and Dunlap to long term deals. Get an OLB, RB, Center/Guard, & Safety in the draft. We will be playoff bound for the next 6 years.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LV-426
Posts: 36,318
Rep Points: 36800
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
Oh he will write one. It will be similar to the last couple of years when we let Joseph walk and then with a young talented team coming into this season we didn't bring in a big time talent in FA when we clearly had room to do so. The excuse continues to be we have to account for the young talent on this team. He used to say Mauluga and Hall, etc. Now we have to save money for deals for AJ, Andy, Geno, Dunlap. We have plenty of room and there is smart ways to get those deals done and still bring in talented FA but Mike Brown saves as much as possible and will spend what he has to to be close enough to the cap now and nothing more.
You guys love to twist this little thing for your purpose dont you... The year JJoe left During the lock out was also the year Palmer had Quit (a big part of why JJoe left) We offered him a 40+_ mil dollar deal Houston matched and gave something like another 1 mil guarenteed and JJoe signed there.

We didnt bring in a big time Free agent because we had to keep 15 mil in cap space incase carson reported to camp (and therefore gets his salary) If we had spent that money carson shows up and forces us to cut him and get nothing. Instead we got Dre Kirkpatick and pick 35(i think) this year in the Draft. It had absolutely nothing to do with mike brown not paying players and everything to do in making sure palmer didnt get away for nothing in return.

With us being under the Cap the last 2 years We get to roll the left over cap space to next year. (which with what we rolled over last year we were close to spending normal full cap space.) And we actually will need to be slightly over to raise our average floor. This will be a big spending year but what is most important is resigning our own.

There is normally not a need to go out and brake the bank on an aging vet like most of you want. If you look around the league most of them dont pan out to nearly what they are getting paid. Best bet is to find guys like Howard and gilberry to fill in some holes.

Or we can go out Sign a Super Priced Player just so we can say we have one... And let talented players go.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Brunz Brunz is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CINCINNATI!!!
Posts: 532
Rep Points: 178
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
This should be simple. Let Maualuga, Cook, and Sims walk (only bc we have Still & Thompson). Those savings alone should land us Dwayne Bowe or an equally talented #2 WR along with resigning Andre Smith & MJ. We then sign Atkins and Dunlap to long term deals. Get an OLB, RB, Center/Guard, & Safety in the draft. We will be playoff bound for the next 6 years.

Sounds like what should happen, but probably won't. I'd be ecstatic if that happen actually. Don't want none of them back and Bowe would make this offense truly dynamic. We can only hope but Mikey won't like it.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LV-426
Posts: 36,318
Rep Points: 36800
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
This should be simple. Let Maualuga, Cook, and Sims walk (only bc we have Still & Thompson). Those savings alone should land us Dwayne Bowe or an equally talented #2 WR along with resigning Andre Smith & MJ. We then sign Atkins and Dunlap to long term deals. Get an OLB, RB, Center/Guard, & Safety in the draft. We will be playoff bound for the next 6 years.
Okay this doesnt help our cap space at all..

Sims and Rey M are free agents meaning no pending money.

Cook is on a contract so the only way to save money is to trade him.


Also i want to keep sims... We played still at little but the run D didnt work till sims returned.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Night's Watch's Avatar
Night's Watch Night's Watch is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,426
Rep Points: 2640
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Not only are we sitting pretty, look at Pittsburgh, New Orleans, New York Jets, Carolina and Dallas, they are going to have to cut a lot of people, meaning some extra talent in FA that might not normally be there.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM
THEBURG THEBURG is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,398
Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
This should be simple. Let Maualuga, Cook, and Sims walk (only bc we have Still & Thompson). Those savings alone should land us Dwayne Bowe or an equally talented #2 WR along with resigning Andre Smith & MJ. We then sign Atkins and Dunlap to long term deals. Get an OLB, RB, Center/Guard, & Safety in the draft. We will be playoff bound for the next 6 years.
Cook is going nowhere, take that to the bank.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LV-426
Posts: 36,318
Rep Points: 36800
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
Not only are we sitting pretty, look at Pittsburgh, New Orleans, New York Jets, Carolina and Dallas, they are going to have to cut a lot of people, meaning some extra talent in FA that might not normally be there.
The worse part about all that is if we were cap tight and having to cut a good player every year for cap space everyone would be *****ing about cap management.

When we have extra to actually do what we need to with it. Everyone *****es we are not spending it. New flash we only can have 53 guys... And 2 of the Major positions which demand High Pay are just entering their 3rd years and we cannot reUp to a contract normal of their position yet. (which is why we have some extra money...... Andy/AJ salary is nothing compared to what Palmer and Chad were making)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
old man old man is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clermont Co. Ohio, South Texas
Posts: 515
Rep Points: 536
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
You guys love to twist this little thing for your purpose dont you... The year JJoe left During the lock out was also the year Palmer had Quit (a big part of why JJoe left) We offered him a 40+_ mil dollar deal Houston matched and gave something like another 1 mil guarenteed and JJoe signed there.

We didnt bring in a big time Free agent because we had to keep 15 mil in cap space incase carson reported to camp (and therefore gets his salary) If we had spent that money carson shows up and forces us to cut him and get nothing. Instead we got Dre Kirkpatick and pick 35(i think) this year in the Draft. It had absolutely nothing to do with mike brown not paying players and everything to do in making sure palmer didnt get away for nothing in return.

With us being under the Cap the last 2 years We get to roll the left over cap space to next year. (which with what we rolled over last year we were close to spending normal full cap space.) And we actually will need to be slightly over to raise our average floor. This will be a big spending year but what is most important is resigning our own.

There is normally not a need to go out and brake the bank on an aging vet like most of you want. If you look around the league most of them dont pan out to nearly what they are getting paid. Best bet is to find guys like Howard and gilberry to fill in some holes.

Or we can go out Sign a Super Priced Player just so we can say we have one... And let talented players go.
OK, there's been talk about extending Andy also. With the new rookie cap, I don't know when it went into place. Do you know what Andy's salary was and for how many years? What do you think he might get, and for how long?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Au165 Au165 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,769
Rep Points: 5721
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
OK, there's been talk about extending Andy also. With the new rookie cap, I don't know when it went into place. Do you know what Andy's salary was and for how many years? What do you think he might get, and for how long?
Andy can't be extended yet just like AJ can't.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:06 PM
old man old man is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clermont Co. Ohio, South Texas
Posts: 515
Rep Points: 536
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
Andy can't be extended yet just like AJ can't.
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Night's Watch's Avatar
Night's Watch Night's Watch is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,426
Rep Points: 2640
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
The worse part about all that is if we were cap tight and having to cut a good player every year for cap space everyone would be *****ing about cap management.

When we have extra to actually do what we need to with it. Everyone *****es we are not spending it. New flash we only can have 53 guys... And 2 of the Major positions which demand High Pay are just entering their 3rd years and we cannot reUp to a contract normal of their position yet. (which is why we have some extra money...... Andy/AJ salary is nothing compared to what Palmer and Chad were making)
Agreed, which is why fans should NOT expect MB to spend the whole 55 million in cap space. Whatever amount he is allowed to roll over for next season will most likely be hit (so then he can extend AJ then) however, it still should be a good FA period after signing our own first.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Luvnit2's Avatar
Luvnit2 Luvnit2 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,331
Rep Points: 18680
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012...t-cap-strategy

Well, there should be ZERO excuse for signing all of our young talent in the offseason. The Bengals lead the NFL in cap space.
I have no problem as fans as we debate salary cap. I do have an issue if fans chime in and don't know the new rules of the new CBA. The fact is these new rules start going ot effect this year as far as as minimum salary cap contributions by each team. This makes 2011 a moot point point because now the rules are different.

In 2013, bengals have a lot of cap money and they have to spend a lot more than in the past (new rules) so it would make no sense to not sign our best guys to long term contracts. So all this BS about the past is just that, it is BS based on the new cap rules.
__________________
Young Team Finally Grows Up!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Luvnit2's Avatar
Luvnit2 Luvnit2 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 16,331
Rep Points: 18680
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.
How does it not answer your question. Andy and AJ can not be extended until after year 3 at the earliest or they can wait until after year four and franchise tag one of them. His point was dalton and Green are signed uo through year 2014 at a minimum and can't extend them this year even if they wanted to extend them so no need for discussion until after year 3 of their contracts.
__________________
Young Team Finally Grows Up!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
old man old man is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clermont Co. Ohio, South Texas
Posts: 515
Rep Points: 536
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
How does it not answer your question. Andy and AJ can not be extended until after year 3 at the earliest or they can wait until after year four and franchise tag one of them. His point was dalton and Green are signed uo through year 2014 at a minimum and can't extend them this year even if they wanted to extend them so no need for discussion until after year 3 of their contracts.
You don't learn if you don't ask. I don't know how this new rookie thing works so that why I asked. Lighten up. Didn't mean to ruffle anybodies skirt.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LV-426
Posts: 36,318
Rep Points: 36800
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.
Well he wont get a palmer size extenstion thats for sure but he will probly be making around 7-8 mil a year as a starting QB.

AJ will command more than that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
old man old man is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clermont Co. Ohio, South Texas
Posts: 515
Rep Points: 536
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Well he wont get a palmer size extenstion thats for sure but he will probly be making around 7-8 mil a year as a starting QB.

AJ will command more than that.
Thanks 024
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LV-426
Posts: 36,318
Rep Points: 36800
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
How does it not answer your question. Andy and AJ can not be extended until after year 3 at the earliest or they can wait until after year four and franchise tag one of them. His point was dalton and Green are signed uo through year 2014 at a minimum and can't extend them this year even if they wanted to extend them so no need for discussion until after year 3 of their contracts.
Additonally this is true for any rookie drafted under the new CBA All must complete 3 full years before eligiable for an extenstion.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
THE PISTONS's Avatar
THE PISTONS THE PISTONS is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,884
Rep Points: 8983
Default Re: Shocker - Cap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
There was also no mandate to spend to the Salary Cap floor. The new CBA specifically put this in to address free riders like Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson. What hasn't been made clear is what the penalty is. In other words, MB might be able to save more money just absorbing the penalty and remaining 30 mil under cap.
We've covered why the floor won't increase spending over and over.

There was a floor in the CBA a few years ago. This is nothing new. For the uncapped year and last year there weren't.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.