Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22042
Default Re: Sign Mike Wallace

Who do you guys think would win in a fight between Thor, and Don Mexico? Don is Ron's cousin. But he's bigger and stronger.

Thor

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Then they do not need to cover AJ when he goes deep then right?
I was asking a question about such matters not making a statement. If the team feels that another deep threat will work then go after the deep threat.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 138

Why would we want to pick up an over-paid attitude problem who has a tendency to drop passes in the clutch?

Mike Wallace has been a little over hyped.

There will be speed guys left in the third round.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1994

Attitude??? I've asked before but I'll ask again.

What else has he done besides hold out? Do we label all receivers divas now?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 32067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcomyst View Post
Why would we want to pick up an over-paid attitude problem who has a tendency to drop passes in the clutch?

Mike Wallace has been a little over hyped.

There will be speed guys left in the third round.
most rookies arent ready to go from the start.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Happy Pants View Post
Attitude??? I've asked before but I'll ask again.

What else has he done besides hold out? Do we label all receivers divas now?
Funny how you lock on to the attitude portion of my comment and ignore the portion of how he drops passes in clutch situations.

Holding out is a sign that you need to be made to feel special. A need to feel special is a sign that you may not be mature enough to understand that if you shut up and play out your contract to the best of your abilities, you will have more of a chance to choose your price and destination the next time around.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcomyst View Post
Funny how you lock on to the attitude portion of my comment and ignore the portion of how he drops passes in clutch situations.

Holding out is a sign that you need to be made to feel special. A need to feel special is a sign that you may not be mature enough to understand that if you shut up and play out your contract to the best of your abilities, you will have more of a chance to choose your price and destination the next time around.
I addressed the dropped passes issue in a previous post. I don't feel like repeating myself.

Multiple people were saying how he had character issues. Holding out does no good for anyone, but he's hardly the first player to do so. People labeled TO a diva, which he was, but he produced on the football field, and he was hardly the cancer people made him out to be. He was worth well the risk IMO.

These receivers are young but I don't see any talent. Bring in someone proven
Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22919
bengals Re: Sign Mike Wallace

Quote:
Sanu/Binns/Jones all worked their tails off right?

What attitude are you talking about? What did he do, besides hold out?

We need a PROVEN receiver. Yes, he's had his drops. But so has every other receiver in the NFL.
Quote:
Sanu/Binns/Jones all worked their tails off right? How did that work out for us? Sanu had his moments, but can we rely on that in the long haul?

What attitude are you talking about? What did he do, besides hold out?

We need a PROVEN receiver. Yes, he's had his drops. But so has every other receivership in the NFL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Please stop the #2 receiver nonsense. We need a starting receiver. Period. The best starting receiver we can get. Stop trying to label guys. It's stupid to come out and intentionally try to sign someone because your goal is to have an inferior second tier player because you have to fit them into some some made-up, imaginary #2 receiver position who isn't supposed to be as good as the receiver across from you.

I mean, who the hell thinks like that? Intentionally trying to sign someone who isnt very good because of some imaginary rule that you have to have one receiver who isn't as good as the other?

I blame idiots who play fantasy football for the stupidity
Quote:
Amen

Forget #1 #2 and so forth. Give me a starter for crying out loud. Our receivers are scrubs, admit it

Throw Gresham in there too
Quote:
So are you stating Hartline is not starting caliber and could not help this team? Or are you stating he is an inferior second tier player. Whether you like it or not the NFL is not Madden and it is stupid to think it is. There are fits and there are not fits. Pretty simple really.
So I see neither of you wish to answer. Seems as if you guys think there is only one FA receiver in the world. So the question remains are you guys stating that Hartline is second tier and not a starting caliber WR?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:09 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I addressed the dropped passes issue in a previous post. I don't feel like repeating myself.

Multiple people were saying how he had character issues. Holding out does no good for anyone, but he's hardly the first player to do so. People labeled TO a diva, which he was, but he produced on the football field, and he was hardly the cancer people made him out to be. He was worth well the risk IMO.

These receivers are young but I don't see any talent. Bring in someone proven
I don't believe that he is a "Diva", but I don't think we need to stack the roster will "what have you done for me lately" types.

As far as talent goes, I have to disagree with you on that.

Sanu, while he doesn't have elite speed, he will an excellent possession receiver that won't be afraid to lay the wood in the running game.

I wouldn't be afraid to wager that he'll be a 100+ catch a year receiver in 2 years, granted he stays healthy.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not aware of any other FA's..I'd be happy with Hartline, Bowe, or any other talented receivers. Those guys are WAY more talented than what we have

But don't act like Wallace isn't worth looking at
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not aware of any other FA's..I'd be happy with Hartline, Bowe, or any other talented receivers. Those guys are WAY more talented than what we have

But don't act like Wallace isn't worth looking at
Hate to burst your Wallace bubble but no he is not worth the price tag he thinks he is worth. He is not a good route runner. I mean other than the one route he runs. He does not have great hands. He gives the appearance of being a very me first player which we do not need.

As well, TO was not worth it and yes he was a cancer.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2594

Mike Wallace-yes I would sign him of all the free agents out there, this guy would free AJ from the double and triple teams....

Ian
Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but if ol mikey boy pulled a trigger on that, i might have a heart attack.

I don't see us signing too many big names in free agency..wishful thinking maybe.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2432

I've said that I think we have some talented guys here in Sanu (in the slot) and Jones (outside) and it doesn't really matter who is the technical #2 or #3 on the offense. For arguments sake though if the front office shocked us all and brought in a top flight FA for once I would hope they would choose Greg Jennings over Mike Wallace. As others have mentioned the reports on Wallace isn't that he doesn't run very good routes and is mostly one dimensional as a deep threat only which throwing deep passes is not Dalton's strength anyways. Greg Jennings would be a better fit for this offense. If we could have Green, Jennings, Sanu, and Jones with a Speed Back like Giovani Bernard and Gresham at tight end that would seem like the makings of an elite offense. Spread the defenses out and let Dalton get back to playing the way he did while at TCU. We can all dream though right?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19135

Come on, how would he not make our offense better? Bubble screens, end around's, the ability to catch a five yard slant and take it to the house. He would most certainly take some of the heat off AJ.

Can't see MB ever signing him, considering his asking price, but I'm with Shake, to say he wouldn't be a major upgrade is silly.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 43

Mike Wallace = One Trick Pony....no thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Come on, how would he not make our offense better? Bubble screens, end around's, the ability to catch a five yard slant and take it to the house. He would most certainly take some of the heat off AJ.

Can't see MB ever signing him, considering his asking price, but I'm with Shake, to say he wouldn't be a major upgrade is silly.
Why doesn't Pittsburgh do these things with him?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 97

Wallace has had one mediocre season plagued with drops. Every receiver is due for a couple drops now and then. He wasn't excited to come back and play for Pittsburgh so maybe that had something to do with it. Sign the man.... Andy will work on everything he needs to this offseason and what better way to work on his deep ball accuracy then with A.J. Green and Mike Wallace?

Also, I would take a look at Greg Jennings to also bring in and play the slot or have a reduced role then what he was familiar with in GB. The man is getting up there in age and can still perform at a high level and while it is blasphemy to talk about Mr. Brown spending a lot of dough on a big name player let alone 2... it would scare the livin sh** out of opposing defenses if they had to line up and gameplan against Green - Wallace - Jennings - Sanu - Jones/Hawkins.

Last edited by cin_city4L; 01-08-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Like the whole Steelers offense, he was much better with Arians. Bringing in Haley was a mistake.

One trick pony? At least he HAS a trick. Dawkins is good in the open field. No one respects Gresham. Jones hasn't proven anything.

Like I said before, Wallace is similar to AJ and he would free him up more. I'll stop now, I'm beating a dead horse
Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19135

Quote:
You're kidding, right?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28944

Funny thing is, if we actually did sign Mike Wallace, I bet everyone on here would be bragging about how awesome our offense will be next season.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 312

Plus Wallace can run gadget plays
Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13389

Headache.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6999

Quote:
Forgive me, thread police, if this has already been posted.

But can you imagine, 2 deep threat receivers on our team?

Pay the man, Mike Brown. (that will never sound right)
Only problem I see is I don't think he has a good attitude, and there's also the fact that another deep threat isn't likely to increase the 27th in the league 34.1% third down conversion rate that the Bengals rocked in 2012.

I'm officially banging the drum for Dwayne Bowe to Cincinnati. I think he'll cost less than Wallace, and has much more value in short/intermediate routes than Mike Wallace.

As a secondary campaign, I am also wanting the Bengals to bring Shipley back home. He's healthy and a FA. Bowe and Shipley would make the Bengals easily in the top 10 in 3rd down conversion, and a WR corps of Green/Bowe/Shipley/Hawkins/Sanu/Jones is as good as any in the league.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2696

[quote=neek;2769933]Last year I thought that all the people that made posts like this were really dumb, this year I think they're even dumber. No offense to Captain Happy Pants, but you might as well start a thread asking for a magic bean stalk that leads to an endless amount of hookers and blow.[/quote]

Line of the year! +100