Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2485
Default In depth review of Texans Game....Microcosm of Problems with this team

So I decided to sleep on this a couple of nights and re watch this game. I have really looked into this game. On paper the Texans IMO were the better team. The stat sheet of this game really shows the Texans should have won by about 15-20 points. We match up with them somewhat defense but on Offense we lack behind. We got beat at the line of scrimmage a lot on Saturday. Frankly, for us to be in this game was a borderline miracle with 3 minutes to go. In this game, we saw the microcosms of what ails this team currently and what needs to improve for them to take the next step both at coaching, indiv positions and groups.

1- YOU MUST Dictate the game to your opponent!!! We let the Texans Dictate the Game- I will get into Gruden next, but sometimes I think out coaching staff forgets that we are a big physical team. We play in the toughest division in football. I am old school. My first two plays would have been our bread and butter power double teams right at JJ Watt. I would have told Dre and Zeitler that they better end up lying on top of Watt. I don’t care if we gain one yard. You send a message. Instead we ran the ball for 3 yards and then went shot gun. Watt spends a lot of time waiting to swat passes down, smack em the mouth don’t let them dictate the game and we did. AJ is our best player and he doesn’t have a touch. Dictate the game and throw him the dang ball.

2 Game Planning/ Jay Gruden- I love the Gruden name but there is a big part of me for two years now that believes Gruden is getting a free pass solely on name. Yes, offense has taken some steps but What drove Brat out of here was poor 3rd down %, predictable game plans and abandoning our strengths too quickly. Sounds familiar doesn’t it??? I feel after re-watching this game, Jay Gruden’s game plan was terrible for this game. I know there is execution too but Jay has now shown twice in playoff games an inability to stray from the plan and lack of creativity. I still can not fathom how we only ran the ball 3 times in the first half. Lawfirm ended the game with 63 yards on 11 carries. Our defense was exhausted, at least run to give them a break. Dalton is not a drop back and sling it QB. He HAS to have compliments and a running game is number one. Gruden went into this game totally abandoning the run. Even after Lawfirm gained 29 yards to start our 2nd drive he threw the rest of the drive. Even the next drive Lawfirm gained 12 and we barely went back to it.
We also don’t run a lot of good route combinations. If teams are bracketing Green, why not run heavy to his side and utilize Gresham in the flats on crossing routes with AJ clearing out his side like Houston did??
We have barely run the halfback screen all season and we ran it twice for negative yards on Saturday. We did not see a WR screen bubble screen until the 4th. We did not see a TE screen all game. ZERO shuffle passes. The things we did all year we did not do and we tried new things with the HB screen. I’m sorry but that is not BJGE strength.
Not calling AJ Green’s number for the first 32 minutes is absolutely inexcusable.
0/9 on Third downs is laughable. This is two years straight now that our offense has faded in December and laid down in the playoffs. Plus, the QB has not shown the growth it should be. I’m sorry but this falls on Gruden a lot.

3. Andy Dalton- I have written before on Andy’s issues-Poor Mechanics, Doesn’t let routes develop, etc..This game was the perfect example. To be fair Dalton didn’t have a terrible 2nd half. I feel the pick falls on AJ green. Texans blitzed heavy to the left side so the read is a hot to the right and AJ didn’t even read it. But Dalton once again missed or didn’t make a lot of throws. I believe after watching this game Dalton’s internal clock/ pocket awareness is not very good. I can’t blame him as he did see a lot of pressure all season. Where Dalton errors is that he makes up his mind before the ball is snapped. He then locks on and if it isn’t there he freezes and tucks. IE: On Saturday he read a play to hit Hawk over the middle, it wasn’t there. He felt pressure to his right and instead of letting Lawfirm pick up the blitz he froze and tuck. HE HAD TIME IN THE POCKET but he puckered. If he stands in the pocket he would have seen a wide open Tate to the right of Hawk. Maycock went over this as well. He has to be able to come off reads and stand in there. At this point I haven’t seen him improve in this area.
Also his mechanics in the pocket are poor sometimes. He often drifts backwards in the pocket on blitzes and that causes bad throws. Teams see this hence why they blitz so much. Dalton has to trust the protection like it or not.
Deep Balls- I will never understand overthrowing a receiver. Throw it up and let AJ go get it. If anything it gives you a chance for Defensive PI. An overthrow gives you no chance. 2013 is a BIG BIG year for Mr. Dalton. He is 19-13 as a starter, good stats but I feel he did not improve enough this year. Next Year is essentially a contract year for him.

4. Offensive line- The Texans gave us a lot of pressure only rushing 4 against our 5. Our Oline got pushed back into Dalton’s face a lot. When they brought pressure it was even worse

5. Individual Players and Groups:
Rey Maulugua- Boy was he exposed. He simply doesn’t have the speed in open space to be this team’s middle linebacker. He is a good run fit guy but in space, oh boy did he have a bad day. Owen Daniels owned him. I think we need another option in 13’.

Gresham- I’m sorry but at pick 21 in the first round, this guy has not lived up to the bill. I still think we run him on way too many seem routes and not enough crossing but some of that is because our Oline can’t block enough and our QB doesn’t wait. The Gresham drop on the 2nd play was huge. That would have been a confident play. 2 catches on 7 targets for 7 yards is Horrid. He laid an egg.

Kyle Cook- I have no understanding of why this guy automatically was handed back the job. Frankly he played a very bad game Saturday and our running game was never the same when he got back. He gave up a lot pressure up the middle and he just simply missed a lot of blocks. No way he should be the starter in 13’

Clint Boling- I know he is still learning but too often this season he was the one missing the protection. I thought he struggled Saturday. Should be interesting the battle between he and Wharton next year.

Andre Smith- He had a tough time with Watt but who doesn’t. Maybe that will help motivate Dre if he is here next year.

Strong Safety- Clements is not the answer here and for years we have battled this. But we need better safety play.

Defensive Line- They are the strength of this team but the Texans 100% neutralized our pass rush. That’s what happens when most of the game is 3rd and short.

The Lawfirm- Absolute shame he didn’t get more carries, he deserved them.

Lewis Harris- Stupid Penalties hurt us all year and this was a BIG ONE, Can not hit the returner although I thought he waived late

6. Marvin Lewis- Lewis has done a tremendous job with this young team but any way you slice it 0-4 in the playoffs is just brutal. He should not and will not be let go, but Marvin has to go back to the drawing board. I think it all goes back to dictating your game plan to the other team.

It was a good season without the ending we wanted. This was a playoff game we could have won and we missed by about a 1 yard overthrow to Green. This is a very very young team. This ownership group has a big offseason ahead of it. They need to keep adding pieces. Expectations will be very high in 2013. Can this team meet them. We’ll see

Last edited by ODRAB14; 01-07-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 386
Default Re: In depth review of Texans Game....Microcosm of Problems with this team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODRAB14 View Post
So I decided to sleep on this a couple of nights and re watch this game. I have really looked into this game. On paper the Texans IMO were the better team. The stat sheet of this game really shows the Texans should have won by about 15-20 points. We match up with them somewhat defense but on Offense we lack behind. We got beat at the line of scrimmage a lot on Saturday. Frankly, for us to be in this game was a borderline miracle with 3 minutes to go. In this game, we saw the microcosms of what ails this team currently and what needs to improve for them to take the next step both at coaching, indiv positions and groups.

1- YOU MUST Dictate the game to your opponent!!! We let the Texans Dictate the Game- I will get into Gruden next, but sometimes I think out coaching staff forgets that we are a big physical team. We play in the toughest division in football. I am old school. My first two plays would have been our bread and butter power double teams right at JJ Watt. I would have told Dre and Zeitler that they better end up lying on top of Watt. I donít care if we gain one yard. You send a message. Instead we ran the ball for 3 yards and then went shot gun. Watt spends a lot of time waiting to swat passes down, smack em the mouth donít let them dictate the game and we did. AJ is our best player and he doesnít have a touch. Dictate the game and throw him the dang ball.

2 Game Planning/ Jay Gruden- I love the Gruden name but there is a big part of me for two years now that believes Gruden is getting a free pass solely on name. Yes, offense has taken some steps but What drove Brat out of here was poor 3rd down %, predictable game plans and abandoning our strengths too quickly. Sounds familiar doesnít it??? I feel after re-watching this game, Jay Grudenís game plan was terrible for this game. I know there is execution too but Jay has now shown twice in playoff games an inability to stray from the plan and lack of creativity. I still can not fathom how we only ran the ball 3 times in the first half. Lawfirm ended the game with 63 yards on 11 carries. Our defense was exhausted, at least run to give them a break. Dalton is not a drop back and sling it QB. He HAS to have compliments and a running game is number one. Gruden went into this game totally abandoning the run. Even after Lawfirm gained 29 yards to start our 2nd drive he threw the rest of the drive. Even the next drive Lawfirm gained 12 and we barely went back to it.
We also donít run a lot of good route combinations. If teams are bracketing Green, why not run heavy to his side and utilize Gresham in the flats on crossing routes with AJ clearing out his side like Houston did??
We have barely run the halfback screen all season and we ran it twice for negative yards on Saturday. We did not see a WR screen bubble screen until the 4th. We did not see a TE screen all game. ZERO shuffle passes. The things we did all year we did not do and we tried new things with the HB screen. Iím sorry but that is not BJGE strength.
Not calling AJ Greenís number for the first 32 minutes is absolutely inexcusable.
0/9 on Third downs is laughable. This is two years straight now that our offense has faded in December and laid down in the playoffs. Plus, the QB has not shown the growth it should be. Iím sorry but this falls on Gruden a lot.

3. Andy Dalton- I have written before on Andyís issues-Poor Mechanics, Doesnít let routes develop, etc..This game was the perfect example. To be fair Dalton didnít have a terrible 2nd half. I feel the pick falls on AJ green. Texans blitzed heavy to the left side so the read is a hot to the right and AJ didnít even read it. But Dalton once again missed or didnít make a lot of throws. I believe after watching this game Daltonís internal clock/ pocket awareness is not very good. I canít blame him as he did see a lot of pressure all season. Where Dalton errors is that he makes up his mind before the ball is snapped. He then locks on and if it isnít there he freezes and tucks. IE: On Saturday he read a play to hit Hawk over the middle, it wasnít there. He felt pressure to his right and instead of letting Lawfirm pick up the blitz he froze and tuck. HE HAD TIME IN THE POCKET but he puckered. If he stands in the pocket he would have seen a wide open Tate to the right of Hawk. Maycock went over this as well. He has to be able to come off reads and stand in there. At this point I havenít seen him improve in this area.
Also his mechanics in the pocket are poor sometimes. He often drifts backwards in the pocket on blitzes and that causes bad throws. Teams see this hence why they blitz so much. Dalton has to trust the protection like it or not.
Deep Balls- I will never understand overthrowing a receiver. Throw it up and let AJ go get it. If anything it gives you a chance for Defensive PI. An overthrow gives you no chance. 2013 is a BIG BIG year for Mr. Dalton. He is 19-13 as a starter, good stats but I feel he did not improve enough this year. Next Year is essentially a contract year for him.

4. Offensive line- The Texans gave us a lot of pressure only rushing 4 against our 5. Our Oline got pushed back into Daltonís face a lot. When they brought pressure it was even worse

Rey Maulugua- Boy was he exposed. He simply doesnít have the speed in open space to be this teamís middle linebacker. He is a good run fit guy but in space, oh boy did he have a bad day. Owen Daniels owned him. I think we need another option in 13í.

Gresham- Iím sorry but at pick 21 in the first round, this guy has not lived up to the bill. I still think we run him on way too many seem routes and not enough crossing but some of that is because our Oline canít block enough and our QB doesnít wait. The Gresham drop on the 2nd play was huge. That would have been a confident play. 2 catches on 7 targets for 7 yards is Horrid. He laid an egg.

Kyle Cook- I have no understanding of why this guy automatically was handed back the job. Frankly he played a very bad game Saturday and our running game was never the same when he got back. He gave up a lot pressure up the middle and he just simply missed a lot of blocks. No way he should be the starter in 13í

Clint Boling- I know he is still learning but too often this season he was the one missing the protection. I thought he struggled Saturday. Should be interesting the battle between he and Wharton next year.

Andre Smith- He had a tough time with Watt but who doesnít. Maybe that will help motivate Dre if he is here next year.

Strong Safety- Clements is not the answer here and for years we have battled this. But we need better safety play.

Defensive Line- They are the strength of this team but the Texans 100% neutralized our pass rush. Thatís what happens when most of the game is 3rd and short.

The Lawfirm- Absolute shame he didnít get more carries, he deserved them.

Lewis Harris- Stupid Penalties hurt us all year and this was a BIG ONE, Can not hit the returner although I thought he waived late

6. Marvin Lewis- Lewis has done a tremendous job with this young team but any way you slice it 0-4 in the playoffs is just brutal. He should not and will not be let go, but Marvin has to go back to the drawing board. I think it all goes back to dictating your game plan to the other team.

It was a good season without the ending we wanted. This was a playoff game we could have won and we missed by about a 1 yard overthrow to Green. This is a very very young team. This ownership group has a big offseason ahead of it. They need to keep adding pieces. Expectations will be very high in 2013. Can this team meet them. Weíll see
I agree with a good bit of this, but will say this offense reaks of Tampa Bay under Jon Gruden. There is very little creativity here or any ability to adapt your system to your players. I wholeheartedly agree you have to attack your opponent and dictate your gameplan to them. I don't think you can say Marvin Lewis shouldn't be canned. He's failed every year in 10 years of coaching to get this team to the ultimate goal. He is 0-4 in the playoffs and in each of those games, one or more units of those teams have lacked the mental toughness to pull the game out or dictate the game to the opponent. He's rebuilt this team a couple of times and the results have been the same. Lewis is what his career record indicates. Average. Gruden's offensive game plan was very poor for sure, but Marvin as Head Coach would have to approve of it to be implemented.

Dalton has peaked IMO and is showing all of his faults. I agree, he has very poor mechanics, an average arm (no, deep balls are not a gauge of arm strength, though his accuracy on these are severely lacking), and he doesn't let things develop at all. If the slant is his read, no matter the down or distance, he's going to it. Teams have choked off the middle of the field and are sitting on the short routes, forcing him to throw outside of the numbers and his inaccuracy and impatience plays right into opposing defenses hands.

In regards to Gresham and Charles, there is absolutely ZERO creativity in how these guys are used. ZERO. It just amazes me that this team has continued its ineptitude in utilizing a TE. How much does Hayes have to do with this? Seriously.

The running game is almost comical, considering how quickly they moved away from it. Whitworth is over-rated IMO and the guy gets eaten up by speed rushers. The only guy on that line I am sold on is Zeitler.

I have always been a Rey fan, but he is better suited for an ILB slot in a 3-4 which doesn't require him to drop, but place himself into run fits. He is an average LB and shows none of the instincts and aggresiveness which he exhibited in college.

Totally agree that the Texans neutralized our DLine. They played down and distance ball and were patient about it. I think a lot of teams make the mistake of focusing on scoring as opposed to moving the ball with consistency and making first downs. Move the ball effectively, control and dictate the tempo, and you will get into the redzone and score.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178
Default Re: In depth review of Texans Game....Microcosm of Problems with this team

Nice read, thanks! Agree with almost everything!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailroad View Post
I agree with a good bit of this, but will say this offense reaks of Tampa Bay under Jon Gruden. There is very little creativity here or any ability to adapt your system to your players. I wholeheartedly agree you have to attack your opponent and dictate your gameplan to them. I don't think you can say Marvin Lewis shouldn't be canned. He's failed every year in 10 years of coaching to get this team to the ultimate goal. He is 0-4 in the playoffs and in each of those games, one or more units of those teams have lacked the mental toughness to pull the game out or dictate the game to the opponent. He's rebuilt this team a couple of times and the results have been the same. Lewis is what his career record indicates. Average. Gruden's offensive game plan was very poor for sure, but Marvin as Head Coach would have to approve of it to be implemented.

Dalton has peaked IMO and is showing all of his faults. I agree, he has very poor mechanics, an average arm (no, deep balls are not a gauge of arm strength, though his accuracy on these are severely lacking), and he doesn't let things develop at all. If the slant is his read, no matter the down or distance, he's going to it. Teams have choked off the middle of the field and are sitting on the short routes, forcing him to throw outside of the numbers and his inaccuracy and impatience plays right into opposing defenses hands.

In regards to Gresham and Charles, there is absolutely ZERO creativity in how these guys are used. ZERO. It just amazes me that this team has continued its ineptitude in utilizing a TE. How much does Hayes have to do with this? Seriously.

The running game is almost comical, considering how quickly they moved away from it. Whitworth is over-rated IMO and the guy gets eaten up by speed rushers. The only guy on that line I am sold on is Zeitler.

I have always been a Rey fan, but he is better suited for an ILB slot in a 3-4 which doesn't require him to drop, but place himself into run fits. He is an average LB and shows none of the instincts and aggresiveness which he exhibited in college.

Totally agree that the Texans neutralized our DLine. They played down and distance ball and were patient about it. I think a lot of teams make the mistake of focusing on scoring as opposed to moving the ball with consistency and making first downs. Move the ball effectively, control and dictate the tempo, and you will get into the redzone and score.

Very good comparison to the Tampa Bay Offense..I didn't even think about that. Great point.

I don't think Dalton has peaked. I think we are seeing a second year QB go through second season woes. I don't think he will ever win you games solely on throwing but I do think he is capable of winning football games. Someone posted on another thread that Aaron Rogers wins without a running game. Let's end this now, Dalton is not and never will be Aaron Rodgers. There are only about 5 teams in the league with elite QB's. Dalton has had some fine games but in those games the pieces around him contributed.

As for Marvin, I will disgaree. Yes he is 0-4 but I just can't get over the fact of who in the world could have done better with this owner and this franchise. Your right he has rebuilt this thing alot and we have been in the dance 3/4 years. I get we want more but in this league that is impressive. Marvin has earned the right to be here but yes his record is average. But after the horrid 90's and early 2000's he has done a good job brining actual football to this city. Maybe I am settling!!!!

Agree on the TE's, we seem to be the only franchise in the NFL unable to figure this out

As for the Oline,Zeitler is tough, Andre played alot better this year. There was some plays Saturday where Zeitler and Dre crushed it on running plays but yet we only ran 11 times. But you are right from center to the left side we need better play. Whit was not and has not been the same guy.

You right about Rey in the 3-4, he would be exposed as much. I love Zim but one area his defenses have aleays struggled has been covering TE's

Good post
Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 52

Agree with a great portion of this.

We are there defensively and Marvin still has a chance to be a special head coach.

Not sure Jay Gruden is there yet IMO, he is being courted for some coaching jobs but I think he stays, they believe they can win it all and that is part of the battle in Cincy.

We need a nasty, go tear some heads off, slot WR, I love Dane but dont think he is that way. The things Smith did against colts yesterday blocking down field was special.

"Nothing cleanses the soul like getting the hell kicked out of you"
Woody Hayes

Twitter @wvabuckeye
Old 01-07-2013, 12:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

As for Marvin, I will disgaree. Yes he is 0-4 but I just can't get over the fact of who in the world could have done better with this owner and this franchise. Your right he has rebuilt this thing alot and we have been in the dance 3/4 years. I get we want more but in this league that is impressive. Marvin has earned the right to be here but yes his record is average. But after the horrid 90's and early 2000's he has done a good job brining actual football to this city. Maybe I am settling!!!!
First off, fantastic OP, thanks for taking the time to re-watch and post the info. The only thing I disagree with is Marvin Lewis, I believe you are settling as you put it, lol.

My reasoning can be related to Kyle Cook in regard to your arguement. Cook was night and day better than Gutcheck, so people can be blinded by that and hold onto the memory of the past. Realize (as most did this year) that Cook needs to be upgraded. Well same theory with Marvin Lewis, just because he has provided a better 2000s than we experienced in the 90s does not mean we can not upgrade.

Funny part is this really had a 1 game swing this year for Marvin Lewis. If he wins 1 more game (as in Houston - playoffs) then I am right there giving him another shot next year regardless of how round 2 against Denver went. However, if we lose 1 more game (as in Pittsburgh) (which coaching we kind of did) then everyone is calling for his head and he is done in regards to the fans.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
First off, fantastic OP, thanks for taking the time to re-watch and post the info. The only thing I disagree with is Marvin Lewis, I believe you are settling as you put it, lol.

My reasoning can be related to Kyle Cook in regard to your arguement. Cook was night and day better than Gutcheck, so people can be blinded by that and hold onto the memory of the past. Realize (as most did this year) that Cook needs to be upgraded. Well same theory with Marvin Lewis, just because he has provided a better 2000s than we experienced in the 90s does not mean we can not upgrade.

Funny part is this really had a 1 game swing this year for Marvin Lewis. If he wins 1 more game (as in Houston - playoffs) then I am right there giving him another shot next year regardless of how round 2 against Denver went. However, if we lose 1 more game (as in Pittsburgh) (which coaching we kind of did) then everyone is calling for his head and he is done in regards to the fans.
I rewatch most of the games, thats my coaching coming in!!!
I will call myself out on Lewis, I don't think it will happen but I agree a little culture shock might be good. I know sometimes change is good but I also know the grass isn't always greener. I just can't seem to let go of the fact Marvin has gotten mikey and the gang to do things no one else could. Marvin does have Mikey's ear....Not sure another coach could do it!!! I think it takes a really special cat to coach for this owner.....But maybe I am just settling, obviously torn on this but it doesnt matter because Lewis isnt going anywhere
Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 991

Soooooo, you emailed this to Marvin Lewis and Jay Gruden right?? Because I pretty much agree with everything you put in there....

ODRAB for our next Offensive Coordinator!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 386

Quote:
Very good comparison to the Tampa Bay Offense..I didn't even think about that. Great point.

I don't think Dalton has peaked. I think we are seeing a second year QB go through second season woes. I don't think he will ever win you games solely on throwing but I do think he is capable of winning football games. Someone posted on another thread that Aaron Rogers wins without a running game. Let's end this now, Dalton is not and never will be Aaron Rodgers. There are only about 5 teams in the league with elite QB's. Dalton has had some fine games but in those games the pieces around him contributed.

Agree on the TE's, we seem to be the only franchise in the NFL unable to figure this out

As for the Oline,Zeitler is tough, Andre played alot better this year. There was some plays Saturday where Zeitler and Dre crushed it on running plays but yet we only ran 11 times. But you are right from center to the left side we need better play. Whit was not and has not been the same guy.

You right about Rey in the 3-4, he would be exposed as much. I love Zim but one area his defenses have aleays struggled has been covering TE's

Good post
I swear, when I see Dalton, I see Brad Johnson II (not just because of the hair...) and BJGE is Ernest Graham. The only difference I see is the natural progression to more spread principals with heavier reliance on shotgun and 4-5 WR's.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 445

Agreed. People need to understand that Dalton's ceiling is NOT that of Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Dalton can be a very good 'system' QB but you must surround him with talent and tailor the gameplan for his strengths.

Joe Flacco is a win away from the AFC Title game for the 2nd year in a row.

People need to chill out on Dalton. He's not Joe Montana but i think they are capable of winning with him IF they continue to develop and invest around him (#2 WR for starters).

Quote:

Good post
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TremaineMackAttack View Post
Agreed. People need to understand that Dalton's ceiling is NOT that of Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Dalton can be a very good 'system' QB but you must surround him with talent and tailor the gameplan for his strengths.

Joe Flacco is a win away from the AFC Title game for the 2nd year in a row.

People need to chill out on Dalton. He's not Joe Montana but i think they are capable of winning with him IF they continue to develop and invest around him (#2 WR for starters).
Friend of mine said that to me yesterday, If Flacco can do it, Dalton sure as hell can
Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

From gruden Interview:

"Gruden is mad at himself for calling two screens early that got blown up ("We hadn’t run a lot of screens throughout the year and now you see why"), but he thought it was the best way to attack Houston's pass rush."

"In hindsight we should have tried to force the run more. They’re stout on the inside and (defensive tackle) J.J. Watt is a good player," Gruden said. "They were down a little bit at linebacker so maybe we should have tried to force the run issue a little bit more but I was trying to get into a groove there and get some positive plays through the air and keep them off balance. Instead, we were off balance more than they were.”

Once again, don't overscheme yourself. Dictate your strengths to your team. 2nd and 4, run the ball and be physical or target AJ, run the plays your confident running not something you hadn't run alot all season.

More and more I go back to this game, Gruden is my goat of the game

Last edited by ODRAB14; 01-09-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 956

Quote:

1- YOU MUST Dictate the game to your opponent!!! We let the Texans Dictate the Game- I will get into Gruden next, but sometimes I think out coaching staff forgets that we are a big physical team. We play in the toughest division in football. I am old school. My first two plays would have been our bread and butter power double teams right at JJ Watt. I would have told Dre and Zeitler that they better end up lying on top of Watt. I donít care if we gain one yard. You send a message. Instead we ran the ball for 3 yards and then went shot gun. Watt spends a lot of time waiting to swat passes down, smack em the mouth donít let them dictate the game and we did. AJ is our best player and he doesnít have a touch. Dictate the game and throw him the dang ball.

2 Game Planning/ Jay Gruden- I love the Gruden name but there is a big part of me for two years now that believes Gruden is getting a free pass solely on name. Yes, offense has taken some steps but What drove Brat out of here was poor 3rd down %, predictable game plans and abandoning our strengths too quickly. Sounds familiar doesnít it??? I feel after re-watching this game, Jay Grudenís game plan was terrible for this game. I know there is execution too but Jay has now shown twice in playoff games an inability to stray from the plan and lack of creativity. I still can not fathom how we only ran the ball 3 times in the first half. Lawfirm ended the game with 63 yards on 11 carries. Our defense was exhausted, at least run to give them a break. Dalton is not a drop back and sling it QB. He HAS to have compliments and a running game is number one. Gruden went into this game totally abandoning the run. Even after Lawfirm gained 29 yards to start our 2nd drive he threw the rest of the drive. Even the next drive Lawfirm gained 12 and we barely went back to it.
We also donít run a lot of good route combinations. If teams are bracketing Green, why not run heavy to his side and utilize Gresham in the flats on crossing routes with AJ clearing out his side like Houston did??
We have barely run the halfback screen all season and we ran it twice for negative yards on Saturday. We did not see a WR screen bubble screen until the 4th. We did not see a TE screen all game. ZERO shuffle passes. The things we did all year we did not do and we tried new things with the HB screen. Iím sorry but that is not BJGE strength.
Not calling AJ Greenís number for the first 32 minutes is absolutely inexcusable.
0/9 on Third downs is laughable. This is two years straight now that our offense has faded in December and laid down in the playoffs. Plus, the QB has not shown the growth it should be. Iím sorry but this falls on Gruden a lot.

3. Andy Dalton- I have written before on Andyís issues-Poor Mechanics, Doesnít let routes develop, etc..This game was the perfect example. To be fair Dalton didnít have a terrible 2nd half. I feel the pick falls on AJ green. Texans blitzed heavy to the left side so the read is a hot to the right and AJ didnít even read it. But Dalton once again missed or didnít make a lot of throws. I believe after watching this game Daltonís internal clock/ pocket awareness is not very good. I canít blame him as he did see a lot of pressure all season. Where Dalton errors is that he makes up his mind before the ball is snapped. He then locks on and if it isnít there he freezes and tucks. IE: On Saturday he read a play to hit Hawk over the middle, it wasnít there. He felt pressure to his right and instead of letting Lawfirm pick up the blitz he froze and tuck. HE HAD TIME IN THE POCKET but he puckered. If he stands in the pocket he would have seen a wide open Tate to the right of Hawk. Maycock went over this as well. He has to be able to come off reads and stand in there. At this point I havenít seen him improve in this area.

4. Offensive line- The Texans gave us a lot of pressure only rushing 4 against our 5. Our Oline got pushed back into Daltonís face a lot. When they brought pressure it was even worse

Rey Maulugua- Boy was he exposed. He simply doesnít have the speed in open space to be this teamís middle linebacker. He is a good run fit guy but in space, oh boy did he have a bad day. Owen Daniels owned him. I think we need another option in 13í.

Gresham- Iím sorry but at pick 21 in the first round, this guy has not lived up to the bill. I still think we run him on way too many seem routes and not enough crossing but some of that is because our Oline canít block enough and our QB doesnít wait. The Gresham drop on the 2nd play was huge. That would have been a confident play. 2 catches on 7 targets for 7 yards is Horrid. He laid an egg.

Kyle Cook- I have no understanding of why this guy automatically was handed back the job. Frankly he played a very bad game Saturday and our running game was never the same when he got back. He gave up a lot pressure up the middle and he just simply missed a lot of blocks. No way he should be the starter in 13í

Andre Smith- He had a tough time with Watt but who doesnít. Maybe that will help motivate Dre if he is here next year.

Defensive Line- They are the strength of this team but the Texans 100% neutralized our pass rush. Thatís what happens when most of the game is 3rd and short.

The Lawfirm- Absolute shame he didnít get more carries, he deserved them.

It was a good season without the ending we wanted. This was a playoff game we could have won and we missed by about a 1 yard overthrow to Green. This is a very very young team. This ownership group has a big offseason ahead of it. They need to keep adding pieces. Expectations will be very high in 2013. Can this team meet them. Weíll see
Great break down only problem I have is #5 Rey is not a good run fit nor has he ever been.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 226

Quote:

Good post
Very very good OP sir............Interesting you say that Dalton can't win you games throwing and I pretty much believe that but if you look at the Pitt game he could have had another 75 plus yards easily throwing the ball had Jones not dropped a 30 yard TD in the endzone and had both AJ not dropped a perfect over-the-shoulder 35 yard catch inside the 10 for a 3rd down conversion.......Would have been a great game for him with close to 340 yards throwing against their top D..Of course Pitt forfeited the pass in order to line 8-9 up in the box........So the plays were right there..Agree, though, that in a balanced defensive set with varying mixed blitz/stunt packages that Dalton does not have both the tangibles and intangible to shine week in..

But, imho, his weakness's are being both magnified and exasperated but terrible terrible OL protection and he's starting to gain really bad muscle memory in his decision-making...
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higametz View Post
Very very good OP sir............Interesting you say that Dalton can't win you games throwing and I pretty much believe that but if you look at the Pitt game he could have had another 75 plus yards easily throwing the ball had Jones not dropped a 30 yard TD in the endzone and had both AJ not dropped a perfect over-the-shoulder 35 yard catch inside the 10 for a 3rd down conversion.......Would have been a great game for him with close to 340 yards throwing against their top D..Of course Pitt forfeited the pass in order to line 8-9 up in the box........So the plays were right there..Agree, though, that in a balanced defensive set with varying mixed blitz/stunt packages that Dalton does not have both the tangibles and intangible to shine week in..

But, imho, his weakness's are being both magnified and exasperated but terrible terrible OL protection and he's starting to gain really bad muscle memory in his decision-making...

Thanks, what I mean by that is our game plan should never be to throw 40 a game. Dalton can do it sure, but I don't think we will win a ton of games. He did play a very good fourth QTR in PITT I thought that would carry over.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
Great break down only problem I have is #5 Rey is not a good run fit nor has he ever been.

Actually, he is pretty good about run fitting the gaps. thats what i meant. Our Dline did a good job giving him space this year to get up in the gap and tackle. after the first few games Rey actually did okay at this. Where Rey struggles is the second line and when the defensive line hasn't cleared the lane for him. He doesn't shed blocks well and he lacks speed to persue.

I compare him to a wrecking ball. Very good at this. Go in the whole and blow up the full back or wedge the A/B gap. These are the things Rey will excel in.

He is not a horrid football player but in a league that is transforming into a game about matchups and open space Rey is most likely going to be left behind
Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 26826

Quote:
Actually, he is pretty good about run fitting the gaps. thats what i meant. Our Dline did a good job giving him space this year to get up in the gap and tackle. after the first few games Rey actually did okay at this. Where Rey struggles is the second line and when the defensive line hasn't cleared the lane for him. He doesn't shed blocks well and he lacks speed to persue.

I compare him to a wrecking ball. Very good at this. Go in the whole and blow up the full back or wedge the A/B gap. These are the things Rey will excel in.

He is not a horrid football player but in a league that is transforming into a game about matchups and open space Rey is most likely going to be left behind
Then it sounds like he can't really be a 3 down ILB.

Maybe we should switch Vontaz and Rey with Rey going out on 3rd downs?

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Quote:

Umm just filling a gap isn't his job. He has to fill the right gap I guess we saw different things, I saw him over persue and guess which hole to hit which he was wrong a lot.

I agree with the wrecking ball aspect but then sometimes he wasn't good at that either.

I think he is a very horrid player. And is ranked last for inside linebackers. If he us not the example of bad/horrid name a player starting that is worse.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINCYPRODUCT View Post
Umm just filling a gap isn't his job. He has to fill the right gap I guess we saw different things, I saw him over persue and guess which hole to hit which he was wrong a lot.

I agree with the wrecking ball aspect but then sometimes he wasn't good at that either.

I think he is a very horrid player. And is ranked last for inside linebackers. If he us not the example of bad/horrid name a player starting that is worse.
Hence why I said in OP,

"Rey Maulugua- Boy was he exposed. He simply doesnít have the speed in open space to be this teamís middle linebacker. He is a good run fit guy but in space, oh boy did he have a bad day. Owen Daniels owned him. I think we need another option in 13í."
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

[quote=Stewy;2770883]Then it sounds like he can't really be a 3 down ILB.

Maybe we should switch Vontaz and Rey with Rey going out on 3rd downs?[/QUOTE

I don't think Rey is a 3 down player at all, never has been. To be honest before this season our only 3 down backer really was Howard. Hopefully Howard bounces back and we sign him and with Burfict we will have 2 3 down guys. One guy we don't talk about alot is Lawson who is equally bad in pass coverage but Lamur was able to spell him. With Rey and Lawson we have a tough time covering RB's and TE's with these guys.

The problem is teams like the Texans who have a guy like Owen Daniels and on 3rd and 5 or less can bring him out there. Rey is then on the field in the dreaded matchup situation. That is why it is so important on 1st and 2nd down because your sub package matchups all hinge on yardage and distance. Our defense struggled to hold them to 3rd and longs which put Rey in bad matchups, plus they were able to spread us out.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3092

I agree with everything you said. We lost to them the year before, so one would have thought a new game plan would have appeared...ie..stop the run. Obviously Houston scouted Maualuga. It seemed we had no pre-game plan, or scouting, at all. It certainly couldn't have been to come out and not throw to AJ. Thought Zimmer played it too conservative with our defensive looks.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Hence why I said in OP,

"Rey Maulugua- Boy was he exposed. He simply doesnít have the speed in open space to be this teamís middle linebacker. He is a good run fit guy but in space, oh boy did he have a bad day. Owen Daniels owned him. I think we need another option in 13í."
Yes his cover skills have always lacked, I was never rebutting that. I'm speaking strictly of his lack of run stopping skill. I just don't agree to him being a good fit to stopping the run and if this past game is the only time you've seen this then I don't know what to tell you. I can count one hand how many decent (not great) games he had against the run. I've been coining this phrase for a while "just because a guy goes from terrible to just below average against the run does not make him good". That embodies Rey completely he is a liability in pass and run defense. And no one can tel me a worse inside linebacker in the nfl against tge run or pass.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
VIP Member

[quote=ODRAB14;2770937]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
Then it sounds like he can't really be a 3 down ILB.

Maybe we should switch Vontaz and Rey with Rey going out on 3rd downs?[/QUOTE

I don't think Rey is a 3 down player at all, never has been. To be honest before this season our only 3 down backer really was Howard. Hopefully Howard bounces back and we sign him and with Burfict we will have 2 3 down guys. One guy we don't talk about alot is Lawson who is equally bad in pass coverage but Lamur was able to spell him. With Rey and Lawson we have a tough time covering RB's and TE's with these guys.

The problem is teams like the Texans who have a guy like Owen Daniels and on 3rd and 5 or less can bring him out there. Rey is then on the field in the dreaded matchup situation. That is why it is so important on 1st and 2nd down because your sub package matchups all hinge on yardage and distance. Our defense struggled to hold them to 3rd and longs which put Rey in bad matchups, plus they were able to spread us out.
Omg yes Lawson is just as bad if not worse than Rey I think ppl forget about him because others try and defend Rey which results in forgetting about the other guys that are bad.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10097

Quote:
From gruden Interview:

"Gruden is mad at himself for calling two screens early that got blown up ("We hadnít run a lot of screens throughout the year and now you see why"), but he thought it was the best way to attack Houston's pass rush."

"In hindsight we should have tried to force the run more. Theyíre stout on the inside and (defensive tackle) J.J. Watt is a good player," Gruden said. "They were down a little bit at linebacker so maybe we should have tried to force the run issue a little bit more but I was trying to get into a groove there and get some positive plays through the air and keep them off balance. Instead, we were off balance more than they were.Ē

Once again, don't overscheme yourself. Dictate your strengths to your team. 2nd and 4, run the ball and be physical or target AJ, run the plays your confident running not something you hadn't run alot all season.

More and more I go back to this game, Gruden is my goat of the game
As usual I agree with most of what you say.

It was a horrible game plan where, as you point out we didn't do what we do well ! And instead tried to trick them, we only tricked ourselves.

I asked in another thread about the screens. I been begging for screens for years on this team ! ! Why is it we can't run a D@m screen ? I don't buy the we don't have the personnel arguement. The answer is called practice and/or coaching.

It's inexcuseable that we ignored one of the very best WR's in the game for 35 minutes of the game.

Gruden was out thinking himself ! I'm a firm believer in the if it ain't broke don't fix it philosophy.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5397

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan74 View Post
I asked in another thread about the screens. I been begging for screens for years on this team ! ! Why is it we can't run a D@m screen ? I don't buy the we don't have the personnel arguement. The answer is called practice and/or coaching.
In the early years of this offensive style, the screen was a major part-the Bengals made their living running screens to Essex and Paul Robinson. Later, these developed into flare routes for Archie and Pete.

You have to actually practice screens a lot to get the timing right. BJGE didn't even act like he was going to block Barwin, which is why Barwin tackled him for a 5-yard loss.

Back to ODRAB's point, though. Stick to what you know has worked in the past and fit that to the defense you face. I'm sure a bubble screen to Baby Hawk (a killer in the past) might have worked, once.

ALL IN FOR ANDY