Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 157
Default Not really Cook's fault

I agree Cook was less than stellar coming back into the starting lineup, but was it really his fault? It is tough to come back from an injury that quickly and be thrusted into the starting lineup. The coaches handled this one wrongly. They should have just let Cook be the backup to Robinson and earn his spot back next year. I still think Cook is a good player and one of the better parts of the offensive line the past couple years. In hindsight we can't do anything about it but it was clearly a case where Cook was still rusty and probably still not 100%. I look forward to him coming back to form next year.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1019
Default Re: Not really Cook's fault

This very well may be the case. He played so poorly that I assumed he was not 100%

Getting the center position fixed is easily one of the top priorities for our offense. Center is a tricky position - drafting a replacement isn't always a perfect fix because it takes time to develop a guy at that position. It's a complicated, cerebral position in the modern NFL. I'm curious to see what we do about it. I can only pray that our coaching staff doesn't think Cook was playing well enough the last few weeks. That would be total horror for me. The film does not lie.

Last edited by LeTigre; 01-09-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118
bengals Re: Not really Cook's fault

I think there are some more important issues to address before center, but he needs to improve or we do this next season.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9545

Was thrust into the starting line-up, but in rotation at first.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714

I know that all these guys are competitors and want to play every snap, but if you're not playing to your ability and aren't 100%; you should sit yourself. If a player is too selfish and decides to stay in a game when there's clearly someone capable waiting on the bench, then yes, it becomes that player's fault. At least Maulaluga had the decency to fake an injury in the playoff game and try and get himself sat.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13214

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhodey77 View Post
I agree Cook was less than stellar coming back into the starting lineup, but was it really his fault? It is tough to come back from an injury that quickly and be thrusted into the starting lineup. The coaches handled this one wrongly. They should have just let Cook be the backup to Robinson and earn his spot back next year. I still think Cook is a good player and one of the better parts of the offensive line the past couple years. In hindsight we can't do anything about it but it was clearly a case where Cook was still rusty and probably still not 100%. I look forward to him coming back to form next year.
When he is in, they stink.

When he is out, they are good.

In stinks.

Out good.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pickens View Post
I think there are some more important issues to address before center, but he needs to improve or we do this next season.
You could look at it as nothing is more important than being better at C. PB's first Bengal draft choice was a C. When Richie Braham went down and never came back, it changed everything for Carson Palmer. If your QB is shaky under pressure up the middle, make sure he doesn't have pressure up the middle.

It's the same in almost any sport. You have to be strong up the middle. C, MLB. Top of the list, imo.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8727

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
You could look at it as nothing is more important than being better at C. PB's first Bengal draft choice was a C. When Richie Braham went down and never came back, it changed everything for Carson Palmer. If your QB is shaky under pressure up the middle, make sure he doesn't have pressure up the middle.

It's the same in almost any sport. You have to be strong up the middle. C, MLB. Top of the list, imo.
You hit this right on the head McC.

A QBs gonna be shaky if the middle of the line is. The C reads the D lineup as well.

We need to get someone that's experienced in there... who's not washed up or broken down.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1476

I think it's hard for us as fans to just watch games, and make the value judgments that coaches can, with all their experience and film study and seeing practice every day.

Yes, we can zero in on a lineman for a few plays and get an impression, but it takes more than that.

HOWEVER.

I do think there's an interesting comparison between the Cook/Robinson situation and the Livings/Mathis situation previously.

The opinion on this board was always overwhelmingly in favor of Mathis, and a lot of it was based on team and oline performance when he was in there, not our ability to actually grade players.

In the case of Cook/Robinson, I think the situation is pretty much the same. We all seem to favor Robinson because of team performance with him on the field, not that we can actually grade these guys either.

But if you look at what Mathis has done since leaving here, and what Livings has done, I'd say we must have been close to right. Maybe it's not such a bad way to judge it, and maybe we're pretty much right again.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5905

Quote:

Cook has never been a "good" center,,,since braham left we have utterly failed to replace him,,cook was better than ghuachic yes, but only average at best,,he just looked better cause the guy he replaced was total garbage. Time for a new center.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19786

Cook is easily a top-5 center in the league. No reason he should lose his job to anyone. Right?

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 687

It really wasn't that Cook was physically not 100 percent. It was his mental mistakes that hurt. The center is responsible for calling out the line's assignments. If he messes this up, you get your QB killed.

As far as I am concerned, there was no reason for Cook to have the mental mistakes in blocking assignments.

The coaches should have seen this and being stubborn may have cost them a playoff game.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8451

Quote:
Nobody is arguing that this was a horrible personnel decision. It was a dumb move by the coaching staff, and instead of admitting they were wrong they kept playing Cook, and it cost us.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

It's not Cook's fault. It's God's fault. He didn't give the guy enough talent.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14676

Quote:

Right on McC !

Palmer's downslide and Braham's injury pretty much go hand in hand. That offensive line never really recovered from losing Braham.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Banned

Rep Points: -4

Quote:
It's not Cook's fault. It's God's fault. He didn't give the guy enough talent.
it could be that Obama fellers fault ....maybe GW Bush
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30147

Quote:
Its either Cooks fault for Sucking...

Or the coaches fault for playing him repeatedly... Either way a change is needed.

cook wasnt exactly Great in 11 either.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-10-2013, 11:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6988

As a whole, the offensive line played much better when Robinson was starting. The chemistry of the offensive line seemed to disappear completely when Cook came back...

Sure, you could argue that Cook is a better overall center than Robinson, but who cares if the entire line falls apart when the "more talented" guy is in?

I don't know what it is, but Robinson seems to mesh with the rest of the Oline a hell of a lot better than Cook... Maybe Cook has really horrific gas and the rest of the line gets too lightheaded to perform well??
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat5775 View Post
As a whole, the offensive line played much better when Robinson was starting. The chemistry of the offensive line seemed to disappear completely when Cook came back...

Sure, you could argue that Cook is a better overall center than Robinson, but who cares if the entire line falls apart when the "more talented" guy is in?

I don't know what it is, but Robinson seems to mesh with the rest of the Oline a hell of a lot better than Cook... Maybe Cook has really horrific gas and the rest of the line gets too lightheaded to perform well??
If that's the case, it's Andy who's getting the brunt of it. Maybe that's why he prefers the shotgun.

Also, I don't think Cook is more talented. Robinson was a rook who wasn't even a C when he got here and the line played better when he played. Was it because of Robinson or just a really big coincidence. I see people run right by Cook. Andy gets sacked while he blocks no one. Hmmm...
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
If that's the case, it's Andy who's getting the brunt of it. Maybe that's why he prefers the shotgun.

Also, I don't think Cook is more talented. Robinson was a rook who wasn't even a C when he got here and the line played better when he played. Was it because of Robinson or just a really big coincidence. I see people run right by Cook. Andy gets sacked while he blocks no one. Hmmm...
If i remember correct Palmer got on to cook for his smell during hard knocks.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
If i remember correct Palmer got on to cook for his smell during hard knocks.
That's right. lol.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21142

Cook was terrible last year and people claimed he looked bad because of the guards. Robison was clicking with the guards and the interior running game was strong.

Cook comes back, and the interior line play is terrible once again.

It isn't rocket science.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2514

Quote:
I agree the coached rushed to judgement here.....either way competition is always good. I think both will be competing in camp, thats a good thing
Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14676

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Cook was terrible last year and people claimed he looked bad because of the guards. Robison was clicking with the guards and the interior running game was strong.

It isn't rocket science.
Exactly Rugby ! I was guilty of sort of giving Cook a pass do to the guards around him. Now that I've seen a bigger sample there's no doubt in my mind that Cook just doesn't cut it !

Andy is a shorter QB, we have to have the center anchored with a guy whom doesn't give ground !
Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post

It isn't rocket science.
Exactly it was harder to tell in 11 but stuck out bad in 12

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry