Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

View Poll Results: Which University Should I Attend?
Ohio University 9 50.00%
The Ohio State University 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Bengalrocker's Avatar
Bengalrocker Bengalrocker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: OSU
Posts: 8,570
Rep Points: 11426
Default OSU vs OU

So the time has finally come. Being in the final semester of my senior year, it is time to select
the college that best suits me. I have narrowed down my choices to two universities here in Ohio.
They are The Ohio State University and Ohio University. I am going to be a business major, though I haven't
really decided what I will specialize in just yet. However, both schools have very solid business programs.
So, of these two schools, which would provide me with the best college experience, as well as the
best education moving forward after my time in college into the real world. Thoughts, and any stories
from times at either university would be greatly beneficial. Thanks!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM
33's Avatar
33 33 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Plains, Ohio
Posts: 1,810
Rep Points: 3143
Default Re: OSU vs OU

OU, we need another big time Bengals fan in Athens.
__________________

Xbox live Gamertag- WhoDeyMaster.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 PM
whodey21's Avatar
whodey21 whodey21 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,957
Rep Points: 6183
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Ohio is a better party school, if you're looking that sort of thing, while Ohio State has more money and reasons to celebrate (football, basketball, better town). The Fisher College of Business has worldwide name recognition, while you are likely to confuse people outside of the state if you tell them you went to 'Ohio'. If you are intimidated by a large campus and student body, however, you should probably be Athens-bound.

If I were looking for something in liberal arts, I may have considered being a Bobcat instead of a Buckeye, but if you want to major in business, engineering, or nursing, Columbus is the place to be.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Bengalrocker's Avatar
Bengalrocker Bengalrocker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: OSU
Posts: 8,570
Rep Points: 11426
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 View Post
OU, we need another big time Bengals fan in Athens.
Is Athens lacking Bengals fans?

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
33's Avatar
33 33 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Plains, Ohio
Posts: 1,810
Rep Points: 3143
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalrocker View Post
Is Athens lacking Bengals fans?

You have fans of every team, the Bengals are either the biggest group I or close. But seriously Athens is a fun town, the college of business is one of the best colleges on campus.
__________________

Xbox live Gamertag- WhoDeyMaster.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,486
Rep Points: 23546
Default Re: OSU vs OU

You'll find that most people on here will vote OSU, so if you want a legitimate unbiased opinion, don't take these ones. Go with whichever one has the better educational program. Personally, I dig OU because Athens is one of the greatest places on the planet. I'm sure Columbus has a perk or two though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Bengalrocker's Avatar
Bengalrocker Bengalrocker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: OSU
Posts: 8,570
Rep Points: 11426
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
Ohio is a better party school, if you're looking that sort of thing, while Ohio State has more money and reasons to celebrate (football, basketball, better town). The Fisher College of Business has worldwide name recognition, while you are likely to confuse people outside of the state if you tell them you went to 'Ohio'. If you are intimidated by a large campus and student body, however, you should probably be Athens-bound.

If I were looking for something in liberal arts, I may have considered being a Bobcat instead of a Buckeye, but if you want to major in business, engineering, or nursing, Columbus is the place to be.
From what I've heard, The Fisher College of Business is an outstanding school, which is obviously very important
when looking into where you want to go for your college education. Honestly partying is not that big
of a deal because I know that wherever I wind up going there will be parties, so that really isn't factoring
too greatly into where I decide to go. Thanks for the input!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 PM
MrRager's Avatar
MrRager MrRager is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,044
Rep Points: 2210
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Michigan.... Like by miles.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Bengalrocker's Avatar
Bengalrocker Bengalrocker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: OSU
Posts: 8,570
Rep Points: 11426
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRager View Post
Michigan.... Like by miles.
Besides the fact that I cannot stand Michigan, the likelihood that I would be accepted there is very small.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM
whodey21's Avatar
whodey21 whodey21 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,957
Rep Points: 6183
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
You'll find that most people on here will vote OSU, so if you want a legitimate unbiased opinion, don't take these ones. Go with whichever one has the better educational program. Personally, I dig OU because Athens is one of the greatest places on the planet. I'm sure Columbus has a perk or two though.
Yeah, people are biased towards the bigger school with more money, ressources, and prestige for no reason. Don't believe the hype about Harvard, either.
Business is all about connections. Ohio State has nearly a half a million alumni.

Ohio State is ranked #56. Ohio is ranked #131.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...hio-state-6883
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...niversity-3100
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,486
Rep Points: 23546
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
Yeah, people are biased towards the bigger school with more money, ressources, and prestige for no reason. Don't believe the hype about Harvard, either.
Business is all about connections. Ohio State has nearly a half a million alumni.

Ohio State is ranked #56. Ohio is ranked #131.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...hio-state-6883
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...niversity-3100
Pssst...your bias is showing.

Here's Michigan: Ranked #29 Don't be mad.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ann-arbor-9092

My point however, was for him to decide what college to go to based on what he wants to do and what is good for him and his future. Asking the "Which of these two colleges should I go to?" question on this message board will likely yield biased results.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM
whodey21's Avatar
whodey21 whodey21 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,957
Rep Points: 6183
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
Pssst...your bias is showing.

Here's Michigan: Ranked #29 Don't be mad.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ann-arbor-9092

My point however, was for him to decide what college to go to based on what he wants to do and what is good for him and his future. Asking the "Which of these two colleges should I go to?" question on this message board will likely yield biased results.

You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

I presented the facts with statistics to back them up. It is apparent that you have some problem with OSU. He clearly stated he was deciding between two colleges (Michigan is NOT one of them), and wants to go into business. The university with the better business school is clearly Ohio State, though I presented some other contributing factors that may make him prefer Ohio. One of them turned out to be a non-factor for him, while his preference toward school size remains unclear. Regardless, no bias was shown.
__________________

Last edited by whodey21; 01-09-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,486
Rep Points: 23546
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

I presented the facts with statistics to back them up. It is apparent that you have some problem with OSU. He clearly stated he was deciding between two colleges (Michigan is NOT one of them), and wants to go into business. The university with the better business school is clearly Ohio State, though I presented some other contributing factors that may make him prefer Ohio. One of them turned out to be a non-factor for him, while his preference toward school size remains unclear. Regardless, no bias was shown.
No. No problem with OSU if that's where he wants to begin his secondary education. If that's what fits him, then that's where he should go. I only mentioned Michigan because in your first post, it was clear that you had some overly heavy lovely feelings toward the place in Columbus.

Simply put,...you will not get an unbiased opinion on these boards, whether you'd like to admit it or not. OSU homers are strong in the state of Ohio. If what you say is true, then hopefully he goes to that school and gets the education he deserves.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 PM
BengalbobZilla BengalbobZilla is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: The shady school of white loathing
Posts: 380
Rep Points: 700
Default Re: OSU vs OU

My whole family went to OSU, so I will probably be a bit biased, but go with OSU

the classes are good, the teachers are laid back, they got some wicked *** parties and the girls are more loose than a soggy roast beef sandwich, and you cant go wrong there

and also, a state school is always better anyways
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM
whodey21's Avatar
whodey21 whodey21 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,957
Rep Points: 6183
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
No. No problem with OSU if that's where he wants to begin his secondary education. If that's what fits him, then that's where he should go. I only mentioned Michigan because in your first post, it was clear that you had some overly heavy lovely feelings toward the place in Columbus.

Simply put,...you will not get an unbiased opinion on these boards, whether you'd like to admit it or not. OSU homers are strong in the state of Ohio. If what you say is true, then hopefully he goes to that school and gets the education he deserves.
You're a bit contradictory here. If what I say is true (and legitimate news sources, public records, and a basic Google search indicate that it is) then I was being overly generous in illuminating Ohio's irrelevant good qualities. Ie, not being "lovey" enough towards Ohio State.

You, on the other hand, go out of the realm of the conversation for no reason except spite, wrongfully accuse others of bias without doing any research to back it up, and have yourself presented bias towards Ohio ("I dig OU" & "one of the greatest places on the planet"). The fact is, even if people are biased, that is what he asked for in the first place -- OPINIONS and experiences on the TWO schools.

Also, you may notice that I am in Florida. Not Ohio.
__________________

Last edited by whodey21; 01-09-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,486
Rep Points: 23546
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalbobZilla View Post
My whole family went to OSU, so I will probably be a bit biased, but go with OSU
This is a straight up lie. I have it on a very credible source that this board is not biased toward such a thing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Bengalrocker's Avatar
Bengalrocker Bengalrocker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: OSU
Posts: 8,570
Rep Points: 11426
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Bump for more opinions
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 PM
BANJAXED's Avatar
BANJAXED BANJAXED is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OAKLEY
Posts: 23,009
Rep Points: 56334
Default Re: OSU vs OU

You honestly can't lose either way. I have friends that graduated from both and have spent a lot of time at both as well.

If you want to live in a more metro type area and enjoy the ultimate sports life I would choose OSU. Do not let the size of the school intimidate you as classes are usually logisitically close due to what you are studying. I have had more of a partying good time at OSU than OU honestly just because there are more places to go. If I could do it all over again I would have honestly condsidered OSU more.

OU is more of an intimate setting being smaller and confinded by Athens. You are not going to get the sports experiences like an OSU but you will get more attention in your smaller class sizes (which was def more important for me at least). The social/greek aspect of OU is pretty great if you are interested in that too.

At the end of the day - if the money is comparable - I can see it being a very tough decision.

Like BobZilla my whole family went to Ohio State at some point, my grandfather taught at the dental school there for a long time, I got recruited for swimming there - so I got to experience it for many many years. College wise I would find it hard to find the type of pride that school has.

A part from Bobzilla, I will disagreed on "state schools being the best tho" haha.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
BANJAXED's Avatar
BANJAXED BANJAXED is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OAKLEY
Posts: 23,009
Rep Points: 56334
Default Re: OSU vs OU

And I would not really get into the whole "ranking" business between the two are both are quality programs.

What you will find is you dont need an ivy league education to be successful (success being a relative word based on your goals of course).

I could go into hundreds of examples - but I will give you one. My boss is one of the most influential and high powered people at my company (a fortune 100 Health Care Company) - Did she study at an Ivy league school? nope, studied secondary education at NKU.

Our CFO? U of Dayton
Our Chairman? Louisianna Tech
Our CEO? North Texas

You will find this is the case the majority of the time.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Bengalrocker's Avatar
Bengalrocker Bengalrocker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: OSU
Posts: 8,570
Rep Points: 11426
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANJAXED View Post
You honestly can't lose either way. I have friends that graduated from both and have spent a lot of time at both as well.

If you want to live in a more metro type area and enjoy the ultimate sports life I would choose OSU. Do not let the size of the school intimidate you as classes are usually logisitically close due to what you are studying. I have had more of a partying good time at OSU than OU honestly just because there are more places to go. If I could do it all over again I would have honestly condsidered OSU more.

OU is more of an intimate setting being smaller and confinded by Athens. You are not going to get the sports experiences like an OSU but you will get more attention in your smaller class sizes (which was def more important for me at least). The social/greek aspect of OU is pretty great if you are interested in that too.

At the end of the day - if the money is comparable - I can see it being a very tough decision.

Like BobZilla my whole family went to Ohio State at some point, my grandfather taught at the dental school there for a long time, I got recruited for swimming there - so I got to experience it for many many years. College wise I would find it hard to find the type of pride that school has.

A part from Bobzilla, I will disagreed on "state schools being the best tho" haha.
The hardest part of it all, is that I feel "at home" at both campuses. They are virtually the same cost wise, so it makes it even more difficult.
I have scheduled visits at both for later in the month, and plan to sit in on some classes to see what each offer class wise.
However, it certainly is not going to be an easy choice, but I'm confident that either choice will wind up being good for me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Bengalrocker's Avatar
Bengalrocker Bengalrocker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: OSU
Posts: 8,570
Rep Points: 11426
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANJAXED View Post
And I would not really get into the whole "ranking" business between the two are both are quality programs.

What you will find is you dont need an ivy league education to be successful (success being a relative word based on your goals of course).

I could go into hundreds of examples - but I will give you one. My boss is one of the most influential and high powered people at my company (a fortune 100 Health Care Company) - Did she study at an Ivy league school? nope, studied secondary education at NKU.

Our CFO? U of Dayton
Our Chairman? Louisianna Tech
Our CEO? North Texas

You will find this is the case the majority of the time.

That is good to know, thanks!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:28 PM
BANJAXED's Avatar
BANJAXED BANJAXED is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OAKLEY
Posts: 23,009
Rep Points: 56334
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalrocker View Post
The hardest part of it all, is that I feel "at home" at both campuses. They are virtually the same cost wise, so it makes it even more difficult.
I have scheduled visits at both for later in the month, and plan to sit in on some classes to see what each offer class wise.
However, it certainly is not going to be an easy choice, but I'm confident that either choice will wind up being good for me.
Well, I know you are a sports guy - so all things considered the same at either I would pick OSU for the experience. I would have loved to of hit the Shoe' every saturday and then bball.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Morning Star Morning Star is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,806
Rep Points: 2354
Default Re: OSU vs OU

there both better then Clemson..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,486
Rep Points: 23546
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
there both better then Clemson..
A lot of schools are better than Clemson. What's your point?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,837
Rep Points: 30022
Default Re: OSU vs OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalrocker View Post
So the time has finally come. Being in the final semester of my senior year, it is time to select
the college that best suits me. I have narrowed down my choices to two universities here in Ohio.
They are The Ohio State University and Ohio University. I am going to be a business major, though I haven't
really decided what I will specialize in just yet. However, both schools have very solid business programs.
So, of these two schools, which would provide me with the best college experience, as well as the
best education moving forward after my time in college into the real world. Thoughts, and any stories
from times at either university would be greatly beneficial. Thanks!
If the academic programs are equivalent, the "experience" at tOSU is one of the best anywhere.
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.