Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 886
Default Re: Shake N Blake's quote on Dalton deserves it's own thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
If you can't see what that guy's got, you weren't paying attention. When he played, he delivered. He had an effect on every game in which he played. And Dalton looked for him because Sanu gave him a second reliable receiver. Had he played the rest of the year, the offense would not have tanked so badly.
Indeed. Sanu ran sharp routes, caught what was thrown his way, and had Dalton's trust to be where he needed to be. He's probably not going to burn anyone like Green or MLJ, but he'll move the sticks. We missed having a guy who could reliably make those 3rd down catches for the first down.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 AM

Rep Points: 26

Dalton is by no means a great QB, but he can be a very efficient QB as soon as he gets a few more weapons and a much better O-Line that will actually give him time to throw the ball. Dalton was sacked a total of 46 times during the regular season and was constantly pressured during the Houston game. If this organization doesn't get Dalton better pass-protecting O-Lineman, then i don't see Dalton lasting too long in the NFL.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10359

Our offense is also missing a sure handed receiver like Wes Welker, Brandon Stokely, Tony Gonzalez...

Don't get me wrong I love AJ but he like all the other receivers has had a ton of drops.

It's not Dalton's fault when it hits you in your palms or chest.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-10-2013, 02:03 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2584

Dalton has a long way to go.....as does the offense in general.

I think there is probably a middle ground in regards to the debate of Dalton. I for one am not a proponent of making all these excuses for him because i've seen enough coach cam to see players running open and dalton just flat out not executing. With that said I also see him getting pressured quite a bit and considering this is his 2nd year i am willing to give him 1 more year.

So in conclusion, Dalton has 1 more year to prove that he can take this team to the next level. If he doesn't have a good year or the team struggles i think it might be time to invest in a QB not named Andy Dalton.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 251
Default Re: Dalton = Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Boo on you distorting facts to try and bash your QB. WTF is wrong with you... Watts jumped up and stole that ball andy didnt toss it to him. It happened because Mike Mcgewyn didnt put his hands on Watt and force him to keep his hands down and feet on the ground or get pancaked.

Dalton is Greater than Sanchez. Sanchez was told he wasnt ready leaving college Because he only started 1 year.

Your post are starting to become trashy ramblings. for someone that bleeds orange and black you seem to take any chance you get to talk down on your team...
I Bleed orange and black more than you will ever know! I live in Dallas and everyday i walk into work going to bat for the bengals when the guys talk football. Everyone i know knows i am a diehard Bengals fan. I get on jungle noise to vent after decades of post season failure! You must be really young so you still want to sing kumbya when we make playoffs. I want to win a SB!!!!! I dont know what the Hell you want. Andy Dalton is Not the guy to do that unless they can get a QB coach that can fix his deficiencies or a offensive coordinator than can Mask it
Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7591

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
You didn't answer the question.

BTW a pitcher can throw a no hitter and lose the game..

No sure what the FG comment means.
If a pitcher is throwing a no hitter than that means the other team isn't scoring and the pitcher throwing the no hitter typically plays all 9 innings, so how would he lose?

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Dalton plays in a WCO. He competes. Led this team to 2 playoff appearances. Has 47 TD passes these past 2 seasons. Was 3rd in the AFC in TD passes.

Dalton's stats his first two regular-seasons compared to other QBs:
Dalton: 19 wins, 47 TDs
Brady: 20 wins, 46 TDs
Flacco: 20 wins, 35 TDs
Big Ben: 22 wins, 34 TDs
I'm gonna build on this if you don't mind.

Dalton: 19 wins, 47 TDs, 29 INTs, 7,067 yards, 60.2% completion, 70 sacks
Brady: 20 wins, 46 TDs, 26 INTs, 6,607 yards, 62.8% completion, 72 sacks
Flacco: 20 wins, 35 TDs, 24 INTs, 6,584 yards, 61.7% completion, 68 sacks
Big Ben: 22 wins, 34 TDs, 20 INTs, 5,006 yards, 64.6% completion, 53 sacks
Carson: 17 wins, 50 TDs, 30 INTs, 6,733 yards, 64.6% completion, 44 sacks
P. Manning: 16 wins, 52 TDs, 43 INTs, 7,874 yards, 59.2% completion, 36 sacks
E. Manning: 19 wins, 48 TDs, 35 INTs, 7,006 yards, 55.1% completion, 53 sacks
Brees: 10 wins, 28 TDs, 31 INTs, 5,392 yards, 59.5 % completion, 45 sacks
Rodgers: 17 wins, 58 TDs, 20 INTs, 8,472 yards, 64.1% completion, 84 sacks

*Notes*
For the guys I added I counted their first two seasons starting as them starting 8 or more games in one season, if I didn't do that some of these stats would be worse, namely Eli who started 7 games his rookie season and just missed my cut.
Now, not all of these guys started their rookie season.
Only 2 guys took more sacks than Dalton; Brady and Rodgers, I think they turned out ok.
Rodgers didn't start until his 4th season and sat behind Favre and GB's staff developed him while he sat which is why his stats are so impressive for his first two seasons starting.
Roethlisberger has a high completion % but it should be noted he only attempted 563 passes over 25 games, lower than Dalton's 1,044 in 32 games.
Brees is considered one of the best QBs in the NFL right now, but if you were to go by his first two seasons as a primary starter, you would think he wouldn't even be in the NFL right now, plus he only managed 10 wins in 27 games.
Only Dalton, Flacco, and Peyton started all 32 games of their first 2 seasons in the NFL.
Dalton has thrown for more TDs and yards than Flacco while taking 2 more sacks.
Dalton won more games than Peyton, had a better completion %, threw 14 less INTs, and took 34 more sacks than Peyton.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

Last edited by Bryan; 01-10-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3388

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Perfectly stated.
Agreed. Dalton is allergic to losing and has already taken the Bengals to as many playoffs as the quitter. I'm not ready to give up on Marvin Jones, but I want to see him AND Sanu AND Hawkins AND Gresham AND AJ on the field at the same time with a sinle back that can catch. Green Bay, SF, New Orleans, and New England have all learned that four to five options in a pattern forces defenses to rush 5 or fewer. It makes it easier for the QB to navigate the rush, and teams simply can't cover that many receivers. The Bengals could go to this byway selection. They do not have the offensive line and RB talent to be a play-action, run-first team like Houston or Minnesota.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post
Agreed. Dalton is allergic to losing and has already taken the Bengals to as many playoffs as the quitter. I'm not ready to give up on Marvin Jones, but I want to see him AND Sanu AND Hawkins AND Gresham AND AJ on the field at the same time with a sinle back that can catch. Green Bay, SF, New Orleans, and New England have all learned that four to five options in a pattern forces defenses to rush 5 or fewer. It makes it easier for the QB to navigate the rush, and teams simply can't cover that many receivers. The Bengals could go to this byway selection. They do not have the offensive line and RB talent to be a play-action, run-first team like Houston or Minnesota.
5 O-Linemen
Dalton
Gresh
AJ
Hawk
Sanu
Jones
RB

That's 12 men, 1 too many.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7076

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Perfectly stated.

So does Shake snore when he sleeps at night? Or a quiet snoozer?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabo614 View Post
Wasnt a bad match up,,was their best bet,,,was BAD COACHING

No need in screaming.

But curious to why the coaches are interviewing for HC positions if they did so bad.

People act as if Gruden was thrown the keys to a Ferrari. Not so.

Houtons #1, well seasoned defense was a bad match-up for a young Bengals offense. Especially on the road.

To put all expectations on one single game where we were underdogs is narrow minded.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

It's true that Dalton has had a revolving #2 WR. It's true that Dalton looks good on paper. However, Dalton becomes problematic when you watch him play. There are issues that he has as a QB that are independent of his weapons on offense (which are not bad, btw. AJ is amazing, Gresh is inconsistent but a weapon, the running game is solid, the O-line is solid...if you want to see a QB w nothing to work with look at Andrew Luck). Here are Dalton's issues:

1. Poor downfield accuracy. Been an issue since he came to Cinci. Continues to be an issue. Quite frankly, I think he lacks accuracy on all throws (short, intermediate and long) but really needs to work on the 20+ yarders.

2. Poor pocket presence. Seems to be a new issue for Dalton but a major one. A concern of mine is that Dalton seems to be regressing in the mental aspect of the game,

3. Poor vision. Dalton locks on. Doesn't go through progressions and from my perspective needs to work on recognizing who is open and who isn't. How many times have we seen Dalton throw it into double coverage when there was a wide open WR available?

4. Poor decision making. Goes with the lack of vision. Dalton makes really bad decisions which cost his team.

So overall, I think Dalton is a decent QB. I'm not sure how good he can be. I know that he needs to improve in all of these areas for the team to have some real success. But put me in the camp that has doubts about Dalton. I'll give him this year to progress. If he doesn't it's time to look for your new franchise QB bc Dalton ain't it.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
It's true that Dalton has had a revolving #2 WR. It's true that Dalton looks good on paper. However, Dalton becomes problematic when you watch him play. There are issues that he has as a QB that are independent of his weapons on offense (which are not bad, btw. AJ is amazing, Gresh is inconsistent but a weapon, the running game is solid, the O-line is solid...if you want to see a QB w nothing to work with look at Andrew Luck). Here are Dalton's issues:

1. Poor downfield accuracy. Been an issue since he came to Cinci. Continues to be an issue. Quite frankly, I think he lacks accuracy on all throws (short, intermediate and long) but really needs to work on the 20+ yarders.

2. Poor pocket presence. Seems to be a new issue for Dalton but a major one. A concern of mine is that Dalton seems to be regressing in the mental aspect of the game,

3. Poor vision. Dalton locks on. Doesn't go through progressions and from my perspective needs to work on recognizing who is open and who isn't. How many times have we seen Dalton throw it into double coverage when there was a wide open WR available?

4. Poor decision making. Goes with the lack of vision. Dalton makes really bad decisions which cost his team.

So overall, I think Dalton is a decent QB. I'm not sure how good he can be. I know that he needs to improve in all of these areas for the team to have some real success. But put me in the camp that has doubts about Dalton. I'll give him this year to progress. If he doesn't it's time to look for your new franchise QB bc Dalton ain't it.
Very solid all-around post.....He's simply also lacking the ability to extend plays or potentially bad ones...No, not the way a RG3 or Wilson does but simply stepping up in a pocket and/or side-stepping in the pocket to buy another half-second..Unfortunately, this is really an innate feature/luxury and if you don't have it by now, well.............

All facets of a team really rub on/off other facets....What I mean is DB's are only as good as their DL in the grand scheme...LB's are mostly worthless if the DL is letting too many OL get into the 2nd level, and OL can only block so long and do need the awareness and savvy of their QB to but a bit of time...Again, if Dalton has more of a presence to do some things then more plays are made and we're not making the OL look quite as bad as it is or we're not harping on the fact that there's "no #2 WR"...So much just goes hand in hand....

If we had a starting RB that did not average around 3.7 YPC but more the average of the league (Bengals were 7th lowest rated YPC in the NFL or a guy that had some speed to go the distance) then you're talking about several more 3rd and shorts versus 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4..........Everything is tied in..
Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 757

The sample size will increase on quarterback Dalton in the 2013 National Football League season. In quarterback Dalton's previous National Football League seasons, he has accumulated an outcome of 19-13.

It might be that the expectations of the Cincinnati Bengal fans are too high (playoff wins). Perhaps quarterback Dalton is nothing more than a quarterback who gets into the playoffs but is unable to win in the playoffs? His record so far indicates that this is a true statement.

Unfortunately the Lombardi Trophy is the prize in the National Football League not regular season wins or losses or statistics. In the search for the Lombardi Trophy, quarerback Dalton seems lost (2 playoff losses). But of course, there is always next year.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2676

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
It might be that the expectations of the Cincinnati Bengal fans are too high (playoff wins). Perhaps quarterback Dalton is nothing more than a quarterback who gets into the playoffs but is unable to win in the playoffs? His record so far indicates that this is a true statement.
So did Peyton Manning's in his first two seasons with one fewer appearance not that anyone takes your Dalton posts seriously.

In fact, Manning did not win a playoff game at all until his 6th season in the league.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Dalton = Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
If a pitcher is throwing a no hitter than that means the other team isn't scoring and the pitcher throwing the no hitter typically plays all 9 innings, so how would he lose?
You better brush up on your baseball, or talk to bfine.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2717

I LIKE TURTLES!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by higametz View Post
Very solid all-around post.....He's simply also lacking the ability to extend plays or potentially bad ones...No, not the way a RG3 or Wilson does but simply stepping up in a pocket and/or side-stepping in the pocket to buy another half-second..Unfortunately, this is really an innate feature/luxury and if you don't have it by now, well.............

All facets of a team really rub on/off other facets....What I mean is DB's are only as good as their DL in the grand scheme...LB's are mostly worthless if the DL is letting too many OL get into the 2nd level, and OL can only block so long and do need the awareness and savvy of their QB to but a bit of time...Again, if Dalton has more of a presence to do some things then more plays are made and we're not making the OL look quite as bad as it is or we're not harping on the fact that there's "no #2 WR"...So much just goes hand in hand....

If we had a starting RB that did not average around 3.7 YPC but more the average of the league (Bengals were 7th lowest rated YPC in the NFL or a guy that had some speed to go the distance) then you're talking about several more 3rd and shorts versus 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4..........Everything is tied in..
Like you said everything is tied in...but on offense everything comes back to the QB. In my way of thinking the running game (and the offense) struggled so mightily down the stretch because of the lack of a downfield passing game. Some of that is on the OC but Dalton also has to take a large share of the blame. As I see it defenses are stacking the box and putting a safety over the top of Green. They're daring the Bengals to do anything other than the short stuff on offense. DC's are capatilizing on Dalton's limitations as a QB (intermediate and deep throws). Gruden and the Oline are doing him no favors, but until Dalton proves that he can get the ball to his guys over 15 yards in the air we're going to see the same thing (i.e. stacking the box, playing over top of Green and sitting on the underneath stuff). The offense isn't dynamic...and a large part of that is that Dalton struggles with anything other than the quick outs and short stuff. If we had a passing game outside of Green that people respected you'd see that loosen up...but until proven otherwise expect defenses to dare Andy and some WR not named AJ Green to beat them 15+ yards down the field.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
You better brush up on your baseball, or talk to bfine.
What am I missing? If a pitcher throws a no hitter than the other team can't score.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
What am I missing? If a pitcher throws a no hitter than the other team can't score.
Walk, error, stolen base, sac fly, the list goes on.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan74 View Post
Walk, error, stolen base, sac fly, the list goes on.
Darn, how could I forget that?

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 147

Still believe in Andy. I been watching this game a long time. I think he is Phil Simms of the present day in a lot of ways. Good enough to win the big one in this league but the stars have to align. More than just on the QB. Two years in this league is not a long time, give him 8 more years. We have nothing to lose and he's winning us games.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3773

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
I LIKE TURTLES!

Forgot about the "Turtle" video. Funny stuff.

Oh, and why do I read posts about how Dalton susck posted by people who know next to nothing about playing football. Yet, I keep doing it, so I guess I'm the stupid one.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Rep Points: 37

What? Dalton is the 2nd best value in football. He's not Sanchez! Check out this article. Wanted to start a thread on it, but don't have enough posts yet. Need to stop being a lurker and post more.

Quote:
What I did was pretty basic: I took each QB's 2012 salary cap hit number and divided it by how many wins he led his team to. Before we start, there are several things to think about: Not every QB had a chance to start all 16 games, so that skews some of the numbers; young QB's are much cheaper than veterans; QB's get paid whether their team wins or loses; and as discussed earlier, no QB is solely responsible for the outcome of each game. Taking all of that into consideration, things like injuries or being benched don't stop a player from being paid (outside of being cut without a guaranteed contract or not meeting incentives). Those who top each list probably won't blow your mind, but what it cost each team to pay their QB in relation to wins just might.
Quote:
Least Expensive SCH Per Win

1.) Russel Wilson, Seahawks - $49,531 (11-5)
2.) Andy Dalton, Bengals - $118,504 (10-6)
3.) Christian Ponder, Vikings - $230,879 (10-6)
4.) Colin Kaepernick, 49ers - $232,922 (5-2)
5.) Brandon Weeden, Browns - $293,900 (5-10)

http://voices.yahoo.com/putting-pric...48.html?cat=14
Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLEEdOrangeandBlack View Post
St LlThink about how many people were saying how Good Sanchez was and poised and all that crud when he supposedly "led them to two AFC championship games in a row." I was one of the few people very unimpressed and said he would be garbage. Now look at him! He was exposed when he couldn't lean on a top 2 defense to win him games. Now despite my title, i dont think Dalton is as bad a Sanchez. I actually think hes descent. But descent aint gonna get us over the hump. Its time to realize he is what he is. Dalton was a 2nd round pick becuz he is a 2nd tier QB. In college dalton threw quick passes and didnt need time to sit in the pocket. Thats why when he has happy feet when his internal clock speeds up. Its gotta be frustrating for Green to run past his man tme and time again just to turn around and see the ball swirling out of bounds. Yes the OL can play better, but there were a multitude of opportunities for dalton to step up and make an easy completion but he panicked and threw ball away.. his footwork is horrible. He has no clue what a sidestep is. Dalton has regressed a bit this year and i say if after this season he doesnt play better we get a QB. I mean he lost to TJ Yates for cryoing out loud!!!!!! Negative six yards in a half. Are you kidding me. Wait til ya see what Brady does to that same defense.

Boo, quarterbacks get hyped all the time. This is a ***** post