Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10585
Default Re: Cincinnati May Need a New Defensive Coordinator Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmac4 View Post
Mikey could look to promote some one from within the organization. How would you feel about Hue Jackson, Jay Hayes or Paul Guenther being promoted to DC if Zim leaves?
The guy with 1 year coaching on the defensive side as an assistant secondary coach?

No thank you.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23720
Default Re: Zim to interview in Cleveland

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
Didn't Cleveland say that they didn't want Lovie Smith because they wanted an "offensive minded" coach?
Zimmer's always been pretty offensive.

I'm not that upset about him leaving. Our pass rush, when it was "on" made him look brliiant. When it wasn't, he didn't look so good. And don't forget he left Maualuga in the middle all season. He could have moved Burfict there and let Lamur take over at WILL, or done something. We might still be in the playoffs.

I don't think he's the genius alot of people try and make him out to be.

Last edited by Shady; 01-10-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 AM

Rep Points: 26

I really would hate to see Zimmer go, in a perfect world i would like to see Zimmer become our HC and Marvin moved up to the GM position. But of course this is Mike Brown's own little world and there is nothing even remotely perfect about it.....
Old 01-10-2013, 01:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munoz The Great View Post
I really would hate to see Zimmer go, in a perfect world i would like to see Zimmer become our HC and Marvin moved up to the GM position. But of course this is Mike Brown's own little world and there is nothing even remotely perfect about it.....
http://boards.bengals.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=38

Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
The guy with 1 year coaching on the defensive side as an assistant secondary coach?

No thank you.
Any other in house options that you think might work?

I am not advocating for this btw, I hope we get a big name guy. I actually would not mind seeing Lovie Smith or Romeo Cornell. I also would be curious if Ray Horton might be interested, I hear he has done really well in Arizona. Then again, I am not an expert, I am guessing here.

I would also be intrigued about bringing Ray Lewis in as DC, it is a big gamble, but no one I have ever seen at the MLB position has been more of a coach on the field. He is a great motivator and I would like to stick a thumb in the Ratbird's eye by bringing his fire to our team. This is more fanciful thinking and I am pretty sure it would not happen.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I would've rather Marvin been fired 2 yrs ago when Mikey boy re-signed him, but that's not gonna happen. Brown is gonna keep Lewis around no matter what and i would just like to see Marvin in a position where he could possibly excel, which hasn't been the case as a HC.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Mikey could look to promote some one from within the organization. How would you feel about Hue Jackson, Jay Hayes or Paul Guenther being promoted to DC if Zim leaves?
Hue Jackson as a DC??? I would like to see Hue become our next OC is Gruden gets a HC job. (hopefully that will happen)
Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Any other in house options that you think might work?

I am not advocating for this btw, I hope we get a big name guy. I actually would not mind seeing Lovie Smith or Romeo Cornell. I also would be curious if Ray Horton might be interested, I hear he has done really well in Arizona. Then again, I am not an expert, I am guessing here.

I would also be intrigued about bringing Ray Lewis in as DC, it is a big gamble, but no one I have ever seen at the MLB position has been more of a coach on the field. He is a great motivator and I would like to stick a thumb in the Ratbird's eye by bringing his fire to our team. This is more fanciful thinking and I am pretty sure it would not happen.
Here is a name. Jerry Olsavsky.

Defensive assistant for the Steelers. Played for Marvin in Pittsbugh when Marvin was the LB coach and followed him to Baltimore where he ended his playing career in 1998.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyche'sWarrior View Post
Just what I was thinking. Mike Clown better act fast if Zim goes.....and not some bargain basement type Mike Clown bs hire either. We can't afford to regress on what Zim has built here.
Like Gruden?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 977

Have a hard time believing that He gets a job before Lovie Smith. But if he does go then I am sure Marvin will find the right DC, its not like we wont have enough interested people.

It may be Lovie if he is not hired. Also for those worried about Rob Ryan, he is a 3-4 guy and Marvin prefers a 4-3. Have some faith in Marvin, he did hire the right guy after all.

Trust canít live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 AM
VIP Member

Why does everyone keep mentioning 3-4 guys? We are a 4-3 and a damn good one.

There will be plenty of coaches that wanna step in, Its about the coach, Zim was a 3-4 in dallas as well, but ran a 43 here.

Rob Ryan could do it, but Marvin also doesnt like to pressure a lot, and thats the Ryan's game. Lovie would be favored if he isnt a head coach, But I thought I heard speculation Dallas would try to move on him.

**** Jauron could be a possibility as well I guess. They could get Coyle but would need to offer him a better title Asst Head Coach i believe to get him out of Miami by rule

Old 01-10-2013, 02:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1038

I'm pretty sure Zimmer is gone. I think what he accomplished this year with the Bengals defense really caught eyes around the league. He deserves a ton of credit for what he did.

I'll be happy for him to get a head coaching job especially after what he went through with Vicky.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:40 AM
VIP Member

BTW Bears 3 best ppg avg. 17.3

and low and behold we get to see the NFCN as well lol

Old 01-10-2013, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 983

we should just switch him and marvin. zimmer for our head coach, let lewis go back to what he is good at.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24321
bengals Re: Cincinnati May Need a New Defensive Coordinator Soon!

Quote:
If Zimmer goes don't expect us to get a replacement that is a hot name. No hot shot position coach or recently fired head coach is coming here.

The name I would keep an eye out for is Dave Wannstedt.
If this is the case then why is Zimmer here? The woe is me in regard to this team is tired. Zimmer was one of the hottest names for the position when he came here. Fact is he came here because of Marvin. Probably because Marvin has more respect around the league then he does here.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:47 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLucieBengal View Post
Why does everyone keep mentioning 3-4 guys? We are a 4-3 and a damn good one.

There will be plenty of coaches that wanna step in, Its about the coach, Zim was a 3-4 in dallas as well, but ran a 43 here.

Rob Ryan could do it, but Marvin also doesnt like to pressure a lot, and thats the Ryan's game. Lovie would be favored if he isnt a head coach, But I thought I heard speculation Dallas would try to move on him.

**** Jauron could be a possibility as well I guess. They could get Coyle but would need to offer him a better title Asst Head Coach i believe to get him out of Miami by rule
In Dallas Zimmer was forced into the 3-4 by Parcells. He is a 4-3 guy. No thanks to Rob Ryan period.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
Mike Zimmer's defense is why the Cincinnati Bengals have been in the playoffs for three of the past four seasons. There, I said it! As we speak, Mike has been interviewing for head coaching jobs in Cleveland and soon in San Diego and I'm torn: One side of me hopes he stays in Cincinnati and puts another winning defense on the field while another side of me thinks he would be a terrific head coach and I hope he succeeds wherever he might go.

So, Bengaldom, what should happen if Mike gets a head coaching job? Obviously Cincinnati will need a new defensive coordinator and I really don't see any of the current position coaches being even close to worthy to become Mike's successor. Therefore I believe the Front Office will have to hire from the outside but right now the NFL coaching carousel is stacked with offensive coaches and I can only think of two available defensive coaches I would consider in Mike's league: Romeo Crennel and Lovie Smith.
Crennel is a 3-4 guy, no thanks, and Lovie will likely be a head coch. I would love Mike Nolan.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2693

Quote:

You know what? I considered Rob Ryan but with all that fire comes zero experience with running a 4-3 defense and changing to a 3-4 would be idiotic for the Bengals because the personnel on the defensive line and at linebacker aren't suited for it. One of the big advantages Cincinnati has on defense is the ability to pressure a quarterback with the four guys up front and this is a luxury few other teams have. Here's why I love the idea of hiring Romeo Crennel: He was Bill Belichick's defensive coordinator when the Patriots won three Super Bowls in 2001, 2003, and 2004. That would give Romeo more championship experience than any other coach in Bengals history.
Rob Ryan hasn't done squat. The guy is a hack.

Lovie Smith is a guy I could get on board with.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 78466

Quote:

You know what? I considered Rob Ryan but with all that fire comes zero experience with running a 4-3 defense and changing to a 3-4 would be idiotic for the Bengals because the personnel on the defensive line and at linebacker aren't suited for it. One of the big advantages Cincinnati has on defense is the ability to pressure a quarterback with the four guys up front and this is a luxury few other teams have. Here's why I love the idea of hiring Romeo Crennel: He was Bill Belichick's defensive coordinator when the Patriots won three Super Bowls in 2001, 2003, and 2004. That would give Romeo more championship experience than any other coach in Bengals history.
As I recall, the Pats ran the 3-4 in 2001, 2003, and 2004.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1309

Rob Ryan is a stiff. His last name is the only reason he's been coaching in the NFL. He hasn't produced as a DC.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 52865

If the new Bears coach doesn't keep keep Rod Marinelli as DC he would be a great chaice.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
If they want a job, they will go wherever will hire them even if it is McDonalds.
Andy just lost his second playoff game and this was all on him. he has the ability to change the plays at the line and he just played super bad in that game, and the defense and aj green were super upset at him. he let this team down, who knows the reason. Your qb is the reason you win or lose for the most part.Bad play-calling, dropped passes, no running game all was a reason, but when nothing is going right, your qb HAS TO PULL IT OUT.THE pass to aj that was overthrown is typical of what he has done last part of the season. I like andy and i do feel he will be better, but that game comes down to him getting it done and he did not.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28268

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
If the new Bears coach doesn't keep keep Rod Marinelli as DC he would be a great choice.
That's a good point! Da Bears have a solid 4-3 defense too.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1709

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
If you ask me, I see him as being a better HC than coordinator. Maybe he'd be a great coordinator. But I wouldn't turn my defense over to Jesus himself if he'd never coached before.
TO ME, i am a selfish fan, i do not want to see zimmer go at all, you cannot replace him with someone that is going to be better than him and this defense will be going the opposite direction for a while.AND mike brown and company will not bring in a top guy as most of you on here know, it will be someone that unproven and just learning.and to think zim could be the brownies head man just stinks to me.anywhere but there.that will be a dagger in our bengal dome hearts.that will just super stink, believe that.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
Singletary as our DC.
this is what I was going to say