Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default Trade possibility

I was looking at draft order and the various projected picks and trying to get a feel for who may be making some trades on draft day. The more I looked at the likely prospects available and our team needs the more I felt like we would be stepping back until the player and the need met up while still allowing us to get the BPA. Given our history of incremental step backs instead of whole round movements a 2 trade scenario emerged as what I think is a likely possibility.

Trade 1.
Bengals send #21 overall (800 pts) to the 49ers for their 1ST, #27 (680) and 3RD, #91 (136) giving a trade value of +16 for the Bengals, 800 to 816. The 49ers use this trade to get ahead of the Ravens and select Matt Elam, Dion Jordan, or Ezekiel Ansah.

Trade 2.
Bengals send #27 (680) to the Dolphins for their 2nd, #42 (480) and their 3rd, # 77 (205) giving a trade value of +5 for the Bengals, 680 to 685. The Dolphins use this pick to get ahead of the Texans and select either Robert Woods, or Justin Hunter.

These trades would leave the Bengals with the 7th, 10th, and 21st picks in round 2. As well as the 13th, 21, 27th picks in the 3rd round. I have not worked up an “official” mock with this yet as I am waiting till the combine, but the given the true value of this draft class is late first to mid 3rd this would be a perfect way to maximize need and BPA.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Trade possibility

good info and I would do it.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5019

We are at a point now were we need to draft game changers. I would maybe do the first one, but trading completely out of the 1st doesn't interest me at all. We have some needs, but not so many we need 3 2nds and 3rds.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3369

That would be ideal to grab enough of our needs, and those prospects are plentiful in round two.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:21 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 752

Rd 1 is more then likely to early for Bernard or Lacey and they could both be gone by our Oakland pick and the Wisconcin center will be gone by our 2nd pick in Rd 2 .

We definately need Lacey or Bernard as well as a top flight center B Jones or maybe the kid from North Carolina at left gaurd who is an absolute stud and a pulling machine

So I am inclined to consider trades for value picks unless we are passing on a surefire probowler, ok a stud who everybody thinks will be a surefire probowler

Three thirdrounders would go a long way to updating our linebackers and adding another atlethic safety that looks good in underwear

Last edited by MRMEYERS; 01-10-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 76

As long as we re-sign MJ and AS and no one from the top 10 falls, I'm all for it.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I was looking at draft order and the various projected picks and trying to get a feel for who may be making some trades on draft day. The more I looked at the likely prospects available and our team needs the more I felt like we would be stepping back until the player and the need met up while still allowing us to get the BPA. Given our history of incremental step backs instead of whole round movements a 2 trade scenario emerged as what I think is a likely possibility.

Trade 1.
Bengals send #21 overall (800 pts) to the 49ers for their 1ST, #27 (680) and 3RD, #91 (136) giving a trade value of +16 for the Bengals, 800 to 816. The 49ers use this trade to get ahead of the Ravens and select Matt Elam, Dion Jordan, or Ezekiel Ansah.

Trade 2.
Bengals send #27 (680) to the Dolphins for their 2nd, #42 (480) and their 3rd, # 77 (205) giving a trade value of +5 for the Bengals, 680 to 685. The Dolphins use this pick to get ahead of the Texans and select either Robert Woods, or Justin Hunter.

These trades would leave the Bengals with the 7th, 10th, and 21st picks in round 2. As well as the 13th, 21, 27th picks in the 3rd round. I have not worked up an “official” mock with this yet as I am waiting till the combine, but the given the true value of this draft class is late first to mid 3rd this would be a perfect way to maximize need and BPA.
If both of these trades were to happen this way I would be ecstatic. I really don't see a guy in the first round that I would really love at 21 without reaching. Making a trade like this would allow us to get some quality players and fill our needs completely as you said. If it were to play out like this I would hope for something like this...
2a. Alex Okafor DE
2b. Eddie Lacy RB
2c. Khaseem Greene WLB
3a. Da'Rick Rogers WR
3b. Bacarri Rambo S
3c. Gerald Hodges SLB
4. Ricky Wagner OT
5. Leon McFadden CB
6. Michael Williams TE
6. Zach Stacy RB
This would be a DREAM DRAFT for us. It completely fills our needs and gives us depth at multiple positions. Would love a G instead of a T in Wagner, but eh as long as we could get rid of Roland, I'd be fine with it. Again this would be a Dream for us all.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBengalsFan View Post
If both of these trades were to happen this way I would be ecstatic. I really don't see a guy in the first round that I would really love at 21 without reaching. Making a trade like this would allow us to get some quality players and fill our needs completely as you said. If it were to play out like this I would hope for something like this...
2a. Alex Okafor DE
2b. Eddie Lacy RB
2c. Khaseem Greene WLB
3a. Da'Rick Rogers WR
3b. Bacarri Rambo S
3c. Gerald Hodges SLB
4. Ricky Wagner OT
5. Leon McFadden CB
6. Michael Williams TE
6. Zach Stacy RB
This would be a DREAM DRAFT for us. It completely fills our needs and gives us depth at multiple positions. Would love a G instead of a T in Wagner, but eh as long as we could get rid of Roland, I'd be fine with it. Again this would be a Dream for us all.
That is similar to what I was thinking. There are no real playmakers in this draft outside of the top 3 or 5. I really love Ogletree as a prospect, but it seems he is destined to rise out of our slotted pick. With that the case a draft like you detailed is the kind of move you make that propels your team into the next level. That is at least 6 holes filled with impact players right off the bat. I would change a few players for others but that would just be quibbling over the point.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
2a. Alex Okafor DE
2b. Eddie Lacy RB
2c. Khaseem Greene WLB
3a. Da'Rick Rogers WR
3b. Bacarri Rambo S
3c. Gerald Hodges SLB
4. Ricky Wagner OT
5. Leon McFadden CB
6. Michael Williams TE
6. Zach Stacy RB
I like it all but Rogers,sub in Patton and i like it better.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
2a. Alex Okafor DE
2b. Eddie Lacy RB
2c. Khaseem Greene WLB
3a. Da'Rick Rogers WR
3b. Bacarri Rambo S
3c. Gerald Hodges SLB
4. Ricky Wagner OT
5. Leon McFadden CB
6. Michael Williams TE
6. Zach Stacy RB

You could always take Lacy at 2A and Frederick at 2B then draft a DE in the 3rd like Brandon Jenkins and then in the 4th take Hodges.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
You could always take Lacy at 2A and Frederick at 2B then draft a DE in the 3rd like Brandon Jenkins and then in the 4th take Hodges.
As much as I would love for them to do that to get Frederick specifically, I just don't think they would. I think that they are happy with Cook and Robinson and are going to see who is the better center come game time. Also we still have Wharton and I don't think they would just give up on him yet and he and Boling will battle it out for LG. Really there would be no room for Frederick. I'd love to do that though.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
As much as I would love for them to do that to get Frederick specifically, I just don't think they would. I think that they are happy with Cook and Robinson and are going to see who is the better center come game time. Also we still have Wharton and I don't think they would just give up on him yet and he and Boling will battle it out for LG. Really there would be no room for Frederick. I'd love to do that though.
Wharton tore an ACL and he is 32 their is no definitive answer that he;ll even be able to return and to what extent.Drafting young and upgrading is the way to go I think.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Wharton tore an ACL and he is 32 their is no definitive answer that he;ll even be able to return and to what extent.Drafting young and upgrading is the way to go I think.
Like I said, I would love for them to. It's a matter of will they actually do it, and I don't think they will.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118
bengals Re: Trade possibility

Great idea, but probably a move that is better for a team like New England or Green Bay that only needs to add depth. Hopefully we are just a year or 2 away from making draft trades like this.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2653

Quote:

Trade 1.

Trade 2.

Burma, always like your input and prospective on things.

This year IMO we need quality over quantity. Not saying we would couldn't get some good players with your trade senerio and if they player/players they're targeting in the 1st are gone why not. It would also build great depth in some areas.

I would like to see maybe us trade our 1 to JAC/PHI/KC if one of the QB's is there they want and get their 2 and 3 or next years one.

After the bowl game Lacy had I'm thinking we will have to stay in the 1st if he is a target.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10752

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
Burma, always like your input and prospective on things.

This year IMO we need quality over quantity. Not saying we would couldn't get some good players with your trade senerio and if they player/players they're targeting in the 1st are gone why not. It would also build great depth in some areas.

I would like to see maybe us trade our 1 to JAC/PHI/KC if one of the QB's is there they want and get their 2 and 3 or next years one.

After the bowl game Lacy had I'm thinking we will have to stay in the 1st if he is a target.

Agree with this. Bengals need quality and not quantity this draft. Would like to make some sort of move to get an extra 1st or 2nd round pick without giving up one of ours.
Know that this would be difficult, but think it could be achieved with creativity .
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
… This year IMO we need quality over quantity. Not saying we would couldn't get some good players with your trade senerio and if they player/players they're targeting in the 1st are gone why not. It would also build great depth in some areas…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Agree with this. Bengals need quality and not quantity this draft. Would like to make some sort of move to get an extra 1st or 2nd round pick without giving up one of ours.
Know that this would be difficult, but think it could be achieved with creativity .
We are in a very good position if we want to trade up. Here is a link to the most commonly referenced trade value chart. It is from before the rookie salary cap, but the trades made last draft still used the values presented here.
http://wordpressdev.nepatriotsdraft....valuechart.jpg

If we want to trade up our 1st, #21 and 3rd, #85 are worth a combined 965 points. Those 2 picks by them selves are worth enough to allow us to move up to the 17th pick (950). If we chose to include the Raiders luxury pick #39 that would add an additional 510 points to the trade value, allowing us to reach the 8th overall pick.

There are a only a few players I would be interested in trading up for that would not be cost prohibitive.
1. Dee Milliner. ( think he’s the next Revis) currently projected from 5th (1700 points) to 13th (1150) if he starts to slip then I would consider this. Total luxury pick though.
2.Alec Ogletree. To feel comfortable about getting ahead of the Steelers, and Bears we would most likely be looking at moving up to the Ram’s #16 (1,000) which would cost us our 1st, 3rd, and 5th or a pick from 2014 which is valued at half the points of a pick from the same slot in the current year.
3. Robert Woods. Injury hampered his production and drove his value down. If he starts to slide towards the 2nd round I would be interested in spending the Raiders pick and something else to move up a few spots to get him.
4.Montee Ball. I like him as much as Lacy and think he can bring much more value to the table. Projected as a mid 2nd to early 3rd we could package our 3rd rounder and others to move up to the bottom of the 2nd for him.
5. Bacarri Rambo. Best pure play maker in this safety class. Same trade scenario as Monteee Ball.

As you can see I think the true value and most benefit from trading up can be found in rounds 2 and 3 where it is not wholly cost prohibitive to move up to get a target player.

If I was the GM I would move up in 1 to get Ogletree. We have needed that athletic coverage LB for a very long time. I target Dallas at 18 and offer them our 1st, and 4th (960) for their 1st and 5th (933).

Then try and trade down from #39 to around #55 or #58 garnering us a late 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. That would allow us to move easily around in rounds 3 and 4 to catch BPA as they fall.

But that is just me

Last edited by Burma; 01-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3051

Quote:
We are in a very good position if we want to trade up. Here is a link to the most commonly referenced trade value chart. It is from before the rookie salary cap, but the trades made last draft still used the values presented here.
http://wordpressdev.nepatriotsdraft....valuechart.jpg

If we want to trade up our 1st, #21 and 3rd, #85 are worth a combined 965 points. Those 2 picks by them selves are worth enough to allow us to move up to the 17th pick (950). If we chose to include the Raiders luxury pick #39 that would add an additional 510 points to the trade value, allowing us to reach the 8th overall pick.

There are a only a few players I would be interested in trading up for that would not be cost prohibitive.
1. Dee Milliner. ( think he’s the next Revis) currently projected from 5th (1700 points) to 13th (1150) if he starts to slip then I would consider this. Total luxury pick though.
2.Alec Ogletree. To feel comfortable about getting ahead of the Steelers, and Bears we would most likely be looking at moving up to the Ram’s #16 (1,000) which would cost us our 1st, 3rd, and 5th or a pick from 2014 which is valued at half the points of a pick from the same slot in the current year.
3. Robert Woods. Injury hampered his production and drove his value down. If he starts to slide towards the 2nd round I would be interested in spending the Raiders pick and something else to move up a few spots to get him.
4.Montee Ball. I like him as much as Lacy and think he can bring much more value to the table. Projected as a mid 2nd to early 3rd we could package our 3rd rounder and others to move up to the bottom of the 2nd for him.
5. Bacarri Rambo. Best pure play maker in this safety class. Same trade scenario as Monteee Ball.

As you can see I think the true value and most benefit from trading up can be found in rounds 2 and 3 where it is not wholly cost prohibitive to move up to get a target player.

If I was the GM I would move up in 1 to get Ogletree. We have needed that athletic coverage LB for a very long time. I target Dallas at 18 and offer them our 1st, and 4th (960) for their 1st and 5th (933).

Then try and trade down from #39 to around #55 or #58 garnering us a late 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. That would allow us to move easily around in rounds 3 and 4 to catch BPA as they fall.

But that is just me
Depending on who you ask, he is projected early to mid second round. I would not trade up for a WR this year. No receiver in this upcoming draft is as complete as Green or Calvin Johnson were. The first and second round prospects are all about the same level in skill. Some may be better at one skill than others, but none of the receivers are the complete package right now.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 19

does anyone think barret jones lasts till the 37th pick?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincifan1973 View Post
does anyone think barret jones lasts till the 37th pick?
nope, I'm gonna go on record saying that the Packers will take him the 1st Rd.