Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 240
Default Re: GM?

Though I would love to see the change w/ a hire of a GM, it really doesn't guarantee or necessarily bring success. Look at the countless NFL teams that have GMs (most notably the team up I-71) and do absolute squat year after year...

If we would to ever hire a GM, which won't happen, why would we promote Marvin? That sounds horrific. This teams talent needs a new regime of leadership and Marvin is far from that role.

"You can learn a line from a win and a book from a defeat." - Paul Brown

Mikey Brown... our very own Pulitzer Prize winner...
Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately120 View Post
I'll believe it when I sees it.
What he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

We already have a GM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
We already have a GM.
Meddling owner ≠ general manager.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23542
bengals Re: GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by incarsonwetrust9 View Post
I seen a tweet a week or so saying the bengals may hire a GM. I don't see Mike Brown doing that a GM will spend to much money on FA for Mickey's blood. But what do yall think The Bengalswill do on a GM?
Chevrolet?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2069
Default Re: La Canfora from CBS hearing Front Office Rumours

So much for all of this. Havent heard a word from Mike Brown since the playoff loss. Im guessing some things will never change.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23542
bengals Re: La Canfora from CBS hearing Front Office Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
So much for all of this. Havent heard a word from Mike Brown since the playoff loss. Im guessing some things will never change.
Something's shouldn't change. Change for the sake of change is silly.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
This is just dumb. People don't buy tickets to see a GM. They want to see a winning team. If we go 3-13 you think people will buy tickets just because some new guy has an office at PBS.
Problem is that all of the evidence points to having a qualified GM in place being a big part of the recipe for a perennial good team. Anyhow, this would be a good year to do it. Scott Pioli and AJ Smith are on the market AND this team is gonna have to spend wisely when it has to dole out contracts to hit the cap floor.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2333

ANY GM hire would be better than what we have now.

I worry about some of you people.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2809

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CR- View Post
ANY GM hire would be better than what we have now.

I worry about some of you people.
Bengals are one of only seven teams to make the playoffs three of the last four seasons.

Yeah, Cincinnati has an issue building a talented roster

I honestly believe some of you people still think its 1995 and don't actually watch the games.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
Bengals are one of only seven teams to make the playoffs three of the last four seasons.

I honestly believe some of you people still think its 1995 and don't actually watch the games.
wait its not 1995? i was playing doom last night..

No one tells me these things...

***I was hoping this was a new thread with new rumors....***

If there is a rumor of GM and we are letting Zimmer interview without making our moves its most like Duke Turbin to GM

Last edited by XenoMorph; 01-10-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2333

Quote:

And how many of those playoff games have we won?

We do have talent. Talent that wins despite our lackluster front office and mediocre coaching. However, if anything, we've been completely exposed once we get to the post season

MIke Brown as GM will do nothing to create a winning culture. The best he can do at this point is try to shed the losing image he has given this francise.

We're never going to get over the proverbial hump as a francise until we get a legitimate GM. The worst thing we could do is use our recent modest sucess to validate Mike Brown.

Our poor playoff performances point to the fact the we still have a long way to go.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19656

There may be someone added to the FO, but it won't be a GM. That job is currently filled. We'll all be dancing in the streets if that job comes open. I'll believe it when I see it, and maybe not even then.

That said, adding people to the FO would probably be a good thing. That is, unless it's another Brown who just graduated from Yale and needs a job. If it's a qualified individual, keep 'em coming.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

We do have talent. Talent that wins despite our lackluster front office and mediocre coaching. However, if anything, we've been completely exposed once we get to the post season

MIke Brown as GM will do nothing to create a winning culture. The best he can do at this point is try to shed the losing image he has given this francise.

We're never going to get over the proverbial hump as a francise until we get a legitimate GM. The worst thing we could do is use our recent modest sucess to validate Mike Brown.

Our poor playoff performances point to the fact the we still have a long way to go.
Katie's Time is near... Which could be good for very bad we will see.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7534

Quote:

Do you feel the same way about Atlanta?

They are in the same boat albeit more dominant in the reg season.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8689

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleJuice View Post
Do you feel the same way about Atlanta?

They are in the same boat albeit more dominant in the reg season.
Have they won a playoff game over the past 23 years?

They are not in the same boat then.

We're 23-25 in the 2010's. Even the short term is below average.

In the 2000's we were 68-91-1.

In the 1990's we were 52-108.

Last edited by THE PISTONS; 01-10-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

You mean the talent that is selected and signed by the Bengals front office? And the coaches that are so mediocre that they are being sought out by other organizations for promotion possibilities?

Blaming the playoff loss on the front office is beyond stupid. How many teams that didn't even make the playoffs just fired their "legitimate" GM? No GM creates a winning culture on thier own. It is created by bringing in players and coaches that buy in to the team concept and that has been done very well here over the last few years.

Keep blaming Mike Brown all you want but doing so simply shows that you either lack an awareness of what is happening in the organization or are simply too entrenched in your outdated thought process to consider anything else.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmac4 View Post
Just throwing this out there. We have made the playoffs three of the last four years and have done it for two years in a row now. We have a young nucleus that has bought into Marvin's system.

I like the fact MB is giving him more control to Marvin, but lets not fix something that is not broke. We know Marvin is the winning-est coach in Bengals history, and has really helped bring the organization back to a level of respectability.

Lets at least wait until we are done with our post season run before we start re-organizing the team.

Who knows, maybe Zimmer is at his best at defensive co-ordinator, maybe he is like many other coordinators who have failed has head coaches. Do we want to risk it? If we did not have Marvin, I would be up for giving him a chance at head coach, but right now we have a coach that is doing well. Lets not upset the apple cart.
Here is a thought i look at everyday of my life.Do any of you on here Honestly believe that our CINCINNATI BENGALS WILL EVER WIN A SUPER BOWL??? Give this some serious thought before you answer with some reason.I have been waiting for 45 years and counting.I just do not in my thoughts feel like we can compete with the top teams with a huge fan base and tons and tons of money to attract the top players.its also top qualitiy Head coaches,General managers that know what the crap they are doing and EVERYONE WORKING TOGETHER TO PUT THE BEST OUT THERE.We just do not have that as mike brown makes the final decision on everything,folks.yes, we are a better team, but honestly i do not believe we will ever be an elite team.I hope they prove me wrong, but i am looking at reality after 45 years this franchrise had been here.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
Here is a thought i look at everyday of my life.Do any of you on here Honestly believe that our CINCINNATI BENGALS WILL EVER WIN A SUPER BOWL??? Give this some serious thought before you answer with some reason.I have been waiting for 45 years and counting.I just do not in my thoughts feel like we can compete with the top teams with a huge fan base and tons and tons of money to attract the top players.its also top qualitiy Head coaches,General managers that know what the crap they are doing and EVERYONE WORKING TOGETHER TO PUT THE BEST OUT THERE.We just do not have that as mike brown makes the final decision on everything,folks.yes, we are a better team, but honestly i do not believe we will ever be an elite team.I hope they prove me wrong, but i am looking at reality after 45 years this franchrise had been here.
Weve been twice its been a while But I would share your opinion if the player salary wasnt capped.. If this was like baseball i dont think we would stand a chance.

but with all teams having to on the same level playing field as far as money spent goes. It will help spread out the elite talent as no team could afford to many.

the culture and team here has been steadily improving sense marvin was hired as Head coach. Its been an upward trend as far as talent on the roster too. building a winner takes time. but after 3 really good drafts in a row. We are very close to closing that gap...
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I do. The next one after I die.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1681

Quote:
You mean the talent that is selected and signed by the Bengals front office? And the coaches that are so mediocre that they are being sought out by other organizations for promotion possibilities?

Blaming the playoff loss on the front office is beyond stupid. How many teams that didn't even make the playoffs just fired their "legitimate" GM? No GM creates a winning culture on thier own. It is created by bringing in players and coaches that buy in to the team concept and that has been done very well here over the last few years.

Keep blaming Mike Brown all you want but doing so simply shows that you either lack an awareness of what is happening in the organization or are simply too entrenched in your outdated thought process to consider anything else.
Mike Brown will allow Mike Zimmer to walk just like he did J-JOE AND ALL THE OTHERS. His thoughts are everyone can be replaced and there is plenty of men looking to get involved, which in my opinion is stupid.Look how long the pats coach has been there!!! Yes, we can get another DC, but I am telling you, our team will go backwards for awhile and i am seeing us not even making the playoffs next year,as all of you know how picking hard it is to even get there.If he had the goonies to make a difference and he pulls the strings, he would promote zim as he knows this team inside and out, move marvin upstairs and eat the difference in money , if he is serious about winning, allow zim to bring in his own DC, and get started with the draft.but I will not hold my breathe this would ever happen.Looks like we are losing zim.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Unhappy Re: La Canfora from CBS hearing Front Office Rumours

Quote:
Mike Brown will allow Mike Zimmer to walk just like he did J-JOE AND ALL THE OTHERS. His thoughts are everyone can be replaced and there is plenty of men looking to get involved, which in my opinion is stupid.Look how long the pats coach has been there!!! Yes, we can get another DC, but I am telling you, our team will go backwards for awhile and i am seeing us not even making the playoffs next year,as all of you know how picking hard it is to even get there.If he had the goonies to make a difference and he pulls the strings, he would promote zim as he knows this team inside and out, move marvin upstairs and eat the difference in money , if he is serious about winning, allow zim to bring in his own DC, and get started with the draft.but I will not hold my breathe this would ever happen.Looks like we are losing zim.
If Zim gets a NC job, MB can't stop him. Nor would he even try. All coaches are in it to be the head guy. Some get there, some don't. If a guy gets the chance, he takes it. And you don;t try to stand in his wy. You wish him well.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Name one team that has fired their head coach just so they can keep their defensive coordinator on staff. It has basically never happened because it is a dumb idea.

If Zim gets a head gig (which hasn't happened yet despite some of your gloom and doom), you wish him well and move on. And your JJoe take is beyond silly and shows that your MB outrage is engrossed in fallacy. Why is it that these days the JJoe argument seems to be the only thing MB haters revert to?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18122

Quote:

I give you Walt Jocketty....and he wasn't brought in until new ownership stepped in. Castellini wants to make money AND win.....Mikey just wants to make money, and if he wins along the way....that's fine too. Make no mistake about that.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18122

Quote:
Name one team that has fired their head coach just so they can keep their defensive coordinator on staff. It has basically never happened because it is a dumb idea.

If Zim gets a head gig (which hasn't happened yet despite some of your gloom and doom), you wish him well and move on. And your JJoe take is beyond silly and shows that your MB outrage is engrossed in fallacy. Why is it that these days the JJoe argument seems to be the only thing MB haters revert to?
Because he's the last big name Mikey had come to FA and we let him walk?