Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1013
Default My first attempt at mocking the 2013 bengals draft

Round 1:Matt Elam - SS - Florida Round
This year I feel it's a must not to neglect the SS position. Elam is the hands down best SS in this years draft. Will he last until the Bengals are on the clock. Time will tell but I think this is the type if player that could help this defense take the next step.

2a:Kevin Minter - MLB - LSU Round
I am a Rey fan but I think it is time for a change. Minter is a tackle machine and good in coverage. Again it may be a stretch that he will be there at the top of round 2 but if he is Minter better be the choice.

2b:Andre Ellington - RB - Clemson
Speed kills and this guy can be the big play threat this team has been missing. Ellington is not afraid to run between the tackles and shows good hands making him a possible 3 down RB in the NFL. I love me some Ellington!

Round 3:William Gholston - DE - Michigan State
Boom bust pick but I love his size and pass rush ability. I think the Bengals need to keep the stables full. The D-Line is solid but could be deeper. William can be dominant but can also disappear. I am banking on him figuring it out.

Round 4:Conner Vernon - WR -Duke
I think a possession WR is still a need. Conner has good speed and great ball skills. Could push Whalen for a roster spot and turn into a reliable weapon for Dalton.

Round 5:Leon McFadden - CB - San Diego State
Is a sleeper for a late round prospect that could provide some production year 1. Plays a very solid all around game. Does everything pretty damn well. Would be a nice addition and some much needs youth to the CB spot.

Round 6a:Rex Burkhead - RB - Nebraska
I love this player. He has a nose for the goal line and great hands. May not be the explosive supper burner but I think he has all he tools to be a very good NFL player. I would compare him to a Matt forte type of player if given time to grow.

Round 6b:Tyrann Mathieu - CB/KR- LSU
Speed, return skills, playmaker and a checkered past. Sounds good to me! I am not one to judge but I am one to covet playmakers. I know he is only 5'7 and I don't care. Put him at KR and PR while training him to play the nickel.

Please keep in mind this is pre-everything and where these players are projected to go will change dramatically. I want to sure up the defense and get some playmakers on the roster that this team has been missing desperately. What do my fellow draft dorks think?

Check out: http://bengalsnfldraft.blogspot.com/ @WHO_DEY_DOUGH on twitter

Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1909
Default Re: My first attempt at mocking the 2013 bengals draft

This mock has bust written all over it. Just to many high risk and I don't see Elam as a top 5 safety, let alone our top overall pick.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

I would have to disagree and I am looking for a SS. I think Elam is the best bar none in this draft class. It's just my opinion but thanks for checking this out.

I think this mock would land 3 future starters with the first 3 picks and solid role players who could provide big time production for this team.

Last edited by PhxBENGALfanatic; 01-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
This mock has bust written all over it. Just to many high risk and I don't see Elam as a top 5 safety, let alone our top overall pick.
I agree. Although I do like Elam. I think their is too much depth at S to draft one in the 1st.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Fair enough my fellow fans. Minter is a bust? Elam is a bust? Ellington is a bust? Time will tell. Thanks again for the input what safeties do you rank higher? Keep SS in mind unless you are putting Nelson at SS.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBENGALfanatic View Post
Fair enough my fellow fans. Minter is a bust? Elam is a bust? Ellington is a bust? Time will tell. Thanks again for the input what safeties do you rank higher? Keep SS in mind unless you are putting Nelson at SS.
Minter is not a bust but he's no better in COVERAGE than maualuga is.So that doesn't help us any in that area. We need good COVERAGE LB's. I like Ellington I just like other backs better( Lacy). We need a SS but some of the FS's can play SS that's in the draft this year. With plenty of depth at S i like Rambo,Jefferson, S Williams, DJ Swearinger. They fill our needs and have better value.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2432

Wouldn't use a first round pick on Elam as of now but need to find out more about him between now and the draft. Seems more like a 2nd rounder as of now. I keep mocking an OLB around the 3rd round to this team because I think Burfict is the guy we move to the middle linebacker spot but if they want to keep him at OLB then we will need to draft a MLB. If we do go with a new MLB then Minter would be a good pick as would Ogletree. Either guy in the 2nd round would be good value. Ellington is a solid pick especially where you have him going. I think this offense needs either him or Bernard from this draft.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Minter is not a bust but he's no better in COVERAGE than maualuga is.So that doesn't help us any in that area. We need good COVERAGE LB's. I like Ellington I just like other backs better( Lacy). We need a SS but some of the FS's can play SS that's in the draft this year. With plenty of depth at S i like Rambo,Jefferson, S Williams, DJ Swearinger. They fill our needs and have better value.
I really like Bernard and Ellington for the fits for this offense with BJGE on the roster and Lacy would make having BJGE obsolete and he is signed for two more years with a reasonable contract. With that said though my gosh Lacy looked like a BEAST in that National Championship. If we drafted him it wouldn't hurt my feelings but I doubt it happens based on our offensive coordinator even talking about a change of pace guy.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I personally would only consider Kenny Vaccaro or Eric Reid in the first round. I think it doesn't really matter which spot that Nelson plays because Zimmer would have a field day using Nelson and another top Safety talent together in his defense.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118
bengals Re: My first attempt at mocking the 2013 bengals draft

I'm not a huge fan of the RB's you have but that's just my opinion. You can tell you did some research.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

I love the discussion! Thanks for the heads up on some S prospects I was sleeping on for sure. BTW I love Lacy and I do not think having him and BJGE is a bad idea. That would be a backfield of thumpers right there! Plus there are a ton of fast RB they should take long looks at. Lets have some fun with this.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 779

Walter football has as its' 21st mock draft pick by Cincinnati, Sam Montgomery
Walter Football has as its' 22nd mock draft pick by St. Louis, Ken Vaccarro.
Walter Football has as its' 29th mock draft pick by San Fransico, Matt Ellam.

Why, in your mock, does Ellam rate higher than Vaccarro?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Walter football has as its' 21st mock draft pick by Cincinnati, Sam Montgomery
Walter Football has as its' 22nd mock draft pick by St. Louis, Ken Vaccarro.
Walter Football has as its' 29th mock draft pick by San Fransico, Matt Ellam.

Why, in your mock, does Ellam rate higher than Vaccarro?
Cbssports has Vaccaro ranked lower than both Elam and Reid. Different "experts" have different opinions.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Cbssports has Vaccaro ranked lower than both Elam and Reid. Different "experts" have different opinions.
THIS! I also respect CBSsports way more than Walterfootball. I also think Vaccaro is a FS I want a true SS. No playing games and having guys learn the game at the fast pace. Elam is the best true SS in this year’s draft in my opinion. He has is a bruising hitter that will make TE and WR think more than twice. I do think he needs to clean up his coverage skills but not a major overhaul of his technique. I am also going to hang my hat on the level of competition Elam played against in the SEC. He is a better player for our system and what we NEED!

Now go make me a sandwitch!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2727

Quote:
THIS! I also respect CBSsports way more than Walterfootball. I also think Vaccaro is a FS I want a true SS. No playing games and having guys learn the game at the fast pace. Elam is the best true SS in this year’s draft in my opinion. He has is a bruising hitter that will make TE and WR think more than twice. I do think he needs to clean up his coverage skills but not a major overhaul of his technique. I am also going to hang my hat on the level of competition Elam played against in the SEC. He is a better player for our system and what we NEED!

Now go make me a sandwitch!
Elam is very gifted, but he needs to learn to harness his aggression appropriately. If that can be done, he should be a great SS.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:45 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Elam is very gifted, but he needs to learn to harness his aggression appropriately. If that can be done, he should be a great SS.
Agreed but seeing what we did with Vontaze, think we can have him focused properly.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

i dont even need to go into detail bro...No thanks on this draft.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1351

I am usually very much against drafting a RB in Rd 1, but since we draft late, it is still possble we could get the top RB in the draft by picking at 21. I think I want to go with Lacy or Bernard with the #21 pick and then hit the Safety and an OLB in Rd 2. I could be lured to taking Ogletree at 21 and then the RB at 37 tho while moving Burfict to MLB..
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
I am usually very much against drafting a RB in Rd 1, but since we draft late, it is still possble we could get the top RB in the draft by picking at 21. I think I want to go with Lacy or Bernard with the #21 pick and then hit the Safety and an OLB in Rd 2. I could be lured to taking Ogletree at 21 and then the RB at 37 tho while moving Burfict to MLB..
Love this senerio and the players you mentioned are all ballers. I do not think getting Olgeltree is going to happen. He seems to be the people's choice on the boards but there are some plenty of good OLB in this draft if moving Vontaze to MLB happene OLB will be high on the needs list.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
i dont even need to go into detail bro...No thanks on this draft.
Great incite bro! Who do you like? Days after putting this draft together I have another plan in mind. Mock 1 you got to look at what the teams around us need. You will not get a shot at most of the go to guys.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 152

Quote:
Round 1:Matt Elam - SS - Florida Round
This year I feel it's a must not to neglect the SS position. Elam is the hands down best SS in this years draft. Will he last until the Bengals are on the clock. Time will tell but I think this is the type if player that could help this defense take the next step.

2a:Kevin Minter - MLB - LSU Round
I am a Rey fan but I think it is time for a change. Minter is a tackle machine and good in coverage. Again it may be a stretch that he will be there at the top of round 2 but if he is Minter better be the choice.

2b:Andre Ellington - RB - Clemson
Speed kills and this guy can be the big play threat this team has been missing. Ellington is not afraid to run between the tackles and shows good hands making him a possible 3 down RB in the NFL. I love me some Ellington!

Round 3:William Gholston - DE - Michigan State
Boom bust pick but I love his size and pass rush ability. I think the Bengals need to keep the stables full. The D-Line is solid but could be deeper. William can be dominant but can also disappear. I am banking on him figuring it out.

Round 4:Conner Vernon - WR -Duke
I think a possession WR is still a need. Conner has good speed and great ball skills. Could push Whalen for a roster spot and turn into a reliable weapon for Dalton.

Round 5:Leon McFadden - CB - San Diego State
Is a sleeper for a late round prospect that could provide some production year 1. Plays a very solid all around game. Does everything pretty damn well. Would be a nice addition and some much needs youth to the CB spot.

Round 6a:Rex Burkhead - RB - Nebraska
I love this player. He has a nose for the goal line and great hands. May not be the explosive supper burner but I think he has all he tools to be a very good NFL player. I would compare him to a Matt forte type of player if given time to grow.

Round 6b:Tyrann Mathieu - CB/KR- LSU
Speed, return skills, playmaker and a checkered past. Sounds good to me! I am not one to judge but I am one to covet playmakers. I know he is only 5'7 and I don't care. Put him at KR and PR while training him to play the nickel.

Please keep in mind this is pre-everything and where these players are projected to go will change dramatically. I want to sure up the defense and get some playmakers on the roster that this team has been missing desperately. What do my fellow draft dorks think?
I like Elam but want Vaccaro if there.He can play either safety position at 6-1/215 and can cover receivers.I dont know much about Minter but would like to have a MLB that can cover te's.I use to like Maualuga but the last couple years hes been very disappointing.I also want Barret Jones at 37 if hes there to replace Cook who continues to **** me off with his play.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

I am concerned about the center play but that's a huge value pick right there. If jones was the pick and turned into a 10 year player great job. He is a tough kid and good prospect. I liked Robinson at center but I understand an upgrade is possible. I want playmakers with the first 3 picks.