Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233
bengals Meet Men

WATSON-M-BLOCK-150.JPG

Just the average mammoth Englishman who had a rough childhood and bounced from basketball to boxing to football. After the first 8 football games of his life at a junior college he showed enough to get a scholarship from one of the most prestigious schools in the nation and earned a starting spot on the OL for a team predicted to have a shot at the national title.

At 6-6 320lbs Menelik has the prototype OL build with top notch athleticism for a man his size. The desire to provide for his family led him to declare for the draft. With another year in school and some more notoriety I have no doubt his name would be in the first round conversation and if he played LT probably top 10. Thanks to his early declaration we have yet another option for OL in this years draft.

The first time I saw a FSU game this year I remember thinking to myself... DAMN who is that right tackle? I've heard of Xavier Nixon but thought he played left tackle. So I went to look it up. Saw Menelik was a junior and did no further research.

Turns out that monster RT declared and he has a very interesting story. If you have some time read a couple articles on him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...son/index.html
http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/foot...tate-seminoles

He will probably be a household name after the combine. But for now I can hope and pray he is available in the 3rd round. I think we would be doing ourselves a huge favor picking this guy up.

Sorry for the disappointment Bfine and Berserk I know you two probably got pretty pumped up after reading the title.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8278

I lol'd at the last sentence
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Default Re: Meet Men

Couple short clips.

Not exactly good technique but shows his power.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ukruK5tPA

Destroying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT1TicBpSmM
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1813

Nole alum here and this guy seemed to get a lot of penalties. Probably alot to do with not having a long time playing the game though. He can get some bodies moving in the run game though.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesaw View Post
Nole alum here and this guy seemed to get a lot of penalties. Probably alot to do with not having a long time playing the game though. He can get some bodies moving in the run game though.
Hmm. Maybe another reason he slides on draft day.

With his supposed top notch work ethic and the basketball and boxing background and his willingness to learn I think he is a project pick with sky high potential.

I think we have seen the peak of Roland's development. Time to bring in another athletic freak and see how he develops. I think he could come in and do for us in the run game what Roland does and offer a lot more versatility.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

Garrett Gilkey of Chadron State is another guy I hope we look into as a project player. He plays a little high but he moves his feet well and could become something special.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 119

With so little experience at the game I'm wondering if this is the second coming of Stacey Andrews.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22337

Consider another monster sized RT that the Bengals have failed to develop in Dennis Roland. Does anyone have confidence in Alexander developing o-linemen?

While I like the guy as a possible late rounder, the Bengals have bigger needs early. The reasons I stated first cement the Bengals passing on the kid. Plus center is a much more glaring need than RT.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-fo..._travis00.html
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 53932

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Consider another monster sized RT that the Bengals have failed to develop in Dennis Roland. Does anyone have confidence in Alexander developing o-linemen?

While I like the guy as a possible late rounder, the Bengals have bigger needs early. The reasons I stated first cement the Bengals passing on the kid. Plus center is a much more glaring need than RT.

Until we re-sign or replace Smith, I wouldn't overlook RT on our 'needs' list. We have enough holes to fill.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 372

Quote:

Question is does anyone have confidence Alexander can develop anything other than his piano skills. Horrible position coach and he needs to be canned!!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

I don't think Roland has the athleticism that Men does. You can't forget that Roland is a free agent as well. He is a guy who was always on the 46 man gameday roster and was basically our 6th OL. I wouldn't overlook the need to replace him. It's obvious he is never going to develop into a starter, and bringing in somebody who can do his job and offer upside with potential to develop into a starter wouldn't be a bad idea.

I wouldn't say he is only a RT either. With that athleticism and size he could be a pretty scary pulling guard too.

I came across a pretty interesting quote from Zeitler the other day that made me like Frederick even more...

“He is by far the strongest, most bear-like human being I’ve ever seen, or had the pleasure of being around,” senior right guard Kevin Zeitler said.

http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html
Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkValleyBengal View Post
With so little experience at the game I'm wondering if this is the second coming of Stacey Andrews.
Andrews is a good comparison. But even Menelik has more experience with football than he did coming out.