Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1884
Default Re: Let's talk FA's again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
Bengals will be spenders but, primarily, on their own.

I expect Michael Johnson and Andre Smith to return with long term deals. I also see an Atkins extension as a probability. 50/50 on a Dunlap extension this offseason and I see Howard coming back. Maualuga could be back, especially if Zim stays on as DC.

As for outside free agents, a #2 WR could be in play but the names are not that attractive. Greg Jennings will be seeking #1 WR money and will most likely get it so he is not an option IMO. Same goes for Mike Wallace. Of the names that are out there the only ones that caught my eye as a potential option are Brian Hartline, Dominik Hixon and Kevin Ogletree. Keep in mind that the team is very high on the idea of what Green, Sanu and Jones can do when on the field together.

Another potential, IMO, is safety. Unlike last season, the FA safety group has some attractive names. Potentials here, IMO, could be Dashon Goldson, Patrick Chung and Kenny Phillips. A Chris Crocker return also wouldn't be a shocker here.

Running back, in my mind, is going to be handled through the draft. It's a good group that is available and the only outside guy I see as a realistic option is Reggie Bush but, IMO, I wouldn't do that.
I do not think they will address WR in FA, they may draft a guy late but that is it. Green is Green, Sanu showed that he can be the possession guy and Jones has the speed to take off the top. With another camp under their belt I too think that this could be a good unit. Green and Jones out wide with Sanu and Hawk rotating the slot.

MJ and Andre will be re-signed, Geno will probably get his pay day and the rest will be played with much like last season.

As much as I would like to see Bush signed I think they get their back in the draft, probably Bernard from NC or Ellington from Clemson.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline Tweeting 101 View Post
I do not think they will address WR in FA, they may draft a guy late but that is it. Green is Green, Sanu showed that he can be the possession guy and Jones has the speed to take off the top. With another camp under their belt I too think that this could be a good unit. Green and Jones out wide with Sanu and Hawk rotating the slot.

MJ and Andre will be re-signed, Geno will probably get his pay day and the rest will be played with much like last season.

As much as I would like to see Bush signed I think they get their back in the draft, probably Bernard from NC or Ellington from Clemson.
Bengals fans will end up being very happy if they get one of those two IMO.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
Bengals fans will end up being very happy if they get one of those two IMO.
Yeah I know I will, I have been saying Ellington for several weeks now and have seen him last till the 3rd round in many mocks. I have also seen Benard going to us in the 2nd. I think we finally erase the curse this year and get a good RB in the draft to get this team over the hump.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline Tweeting 101 View Post
Yeah I know I will, I have been saying Ellington for several weeks now and have seen him last till the 3rd round in many mocks. I have also seen Benard going to us in the 2nd. I think we finally erase the curse this year and get a good RB in the draft to get this team over the hump.
Just don't take a RB in the first and we're good to go. Our best RB's came from outside the first.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Just don't take a RB in the first and we're good to go. Our best RB's came from outside the first.
I don't think any RB's will be taken in the first this year, unless its Lacy (assuming he is coming out). I think the first RB taken will be us with Oakland's pick.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1798
Default Free Agency Wishlist

The cap space is there the cap floor is in the future and the rumors are swirling. We have some signings to make in the near future. Here is a link to a fairly comprehensive list of FA:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...r-list-13?pg=3

Who do we want to see on our team next year?

Aside from our guys on the list I would really like to see us make a run at a vet WR that usually commands double teams. Wallace and Bowe jump out at me as great compliments to AJ.

I would also like to see us make a run at one of the top RBs in FA even if it is to play in a committee with BJGE and the rookie we draft. Reggie Bush seems like the best fit of the bunch, it's been a long time since we've seen a great receiving RB.

It looks like there are a few great safeties on the market this year. Would love to see Delmas or Goldson paired with Nelson.

The LBs on this list look pretty slim besides the 3-4 guys. I wouldn't mind seeing us try to snag Kreuger from the Ravens though I don't know how he would fit in our scheme.

I'm excited to see what we do in FA with the cash we have to spend. I see a big extension coming for Geno, very big.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 13
Default Re: Free Agency Wishlist

Brian Hartline?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:55 AM

Rep Points: 26

I really don't know who's available in the FA market this year, but my off-season wish list is as follows....RB, C, LG, LB, CB, S.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3118

after bringing back our own key players, my dream list would be....

-Reggie Bush
-Dwayne Bowe
-Tracy Porter
-Jairus Byrd

if we can address LB and C in the draft, I will be pretty damn confident
Old 01-11-2013, 02:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2682

Obviously retain your own or sign similar players. Instead of pinning hopes up on them outbidding suitors for Byrd or Bowe, cheap starters could allow them to again draft the BPA regardless of needs. Brad Meester would be a tough center that would give stability to the line. I like Robinson and Cook coudl be cut, but they'll need quality interior line depth late in the year. Yeremiah Bell is a solid SS that could turn in production we think a guy like Mays would have. He's a local guy and wouldn't command a big deal. Also, what about Justin Durant? People were screaming for him in the draft and he is very versatile. I don't think the Bengals go into the draft without some sort of plan here.

As far as a wish, they should at least throw their names in there for Bowe or Wallace. I believe in the young guys, but another big play maker would take the offense to another level.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28937

Retaining our own is always the priority. After that, I only want another receiver. Here my list:

1. Dwayne Bowe. I don't think he will be as expensive as people think. He'd be an ideal WR opposite AJ. He's a big target that would command attention.

2. Mike Wallace. As with Bowe, I think this past season dropped his price a bit. Contrary to popular belief, Wallace can do more than just run "go" routes. That said, CBs respect his speed and he'd look great opposite AJ.

3. Brian Hartline. I know this is the popular choice, probably because everyone knows the Bengals won't pursue the big names like Bowe or Wallace. That said, I like Hartline, and I think he'd be even better with AJ getting attention on the opposite side. He'd be a perfect fit.

I'm not too worried about other positions in free agency, but I do like Connor Barwin and Dashon Goldson, so if we pursue them, I certainly wouldn't complain.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:50 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7703

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizoj View Post
The cap space is there the cap floor is in the future and the rumors are swirling. We have some signings to make in the near future. Here is a link to a fairly comprehensive list of FA:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...r-list-13?pg=3

Who do we want to see on our team next year?

Aside from our guys on the list I would really like to see us make a run at a vet WR that usually commands double teams. Wallace and Bowe jump out at me as great compliments to AJ.

I would also like to see us make a run at one of the top RBs in FA even if it is to play in a committee with BJGE and the rookie we draft. Reggie Bush seems like the best fit of the bunch, it's been a long time since we've seen a great receiving RB.

It looks like there are a few great safeties on the market this year. Would love to see Delmas or Goldson paired with Nelson.

The LBs on this list look pretty slim besides the 3-4 guys. I wouldn't mind seeing us try to snag Kreuger from the Ravens though I don't know how he would fit in our scheme.

I'm excited to see what we do in FA with the cash we have to spend. I see a big extension coming for Geno, very big.
He could be the pass rushing SAM we've been looking for, but I don't know about his coverage ability or how he is in the run game.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 AM
VIP Gold Member

There's some pretty decent corners in the FA pool so if we decide to move on from Newman and Clements, and maybe cut Allen, we could grab a decent one. The one that sticks out most to me is Sean Smith, he's 6'4" 214 and he's got solid speed. We've had some trouble matching up against taller receivers, well a tall CB would help. Oh and he turns 26 in July, he's just hitting his prime.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6999
bengals Re: Free Agency Wishlist

Dear Mike,

1. Dwayne Bowe
2. Jairus Byrd
3. Antoine Cason
4. Chris Ivory
5. Jordan Shipley
6. Anthony Fasano or Chris Cooley
7. Make sure you don't lose anybody important of ours. (MJ/Andre/Huber/Brown/Gilberry/Jones/Howard/Harris/Skuta)

Thanks,
Me

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 AM
VIP Gold Member

While Dwayne Bowe would be nice, it's not realistic. I think he stays in KC since Andy Reid is there. Now my personal wish list would be:

1) Reggie Bush RB Miami
Bush can do it all, run, catch, and return punts and kicks if needed, plus he has the speed we've sorely needed for a while now.

2) Greg Jennings WR Green Bay
Jennings didn't have the best year, but it wasn't because he suddenly got bad, he was injured, and when he came back Randall Cobb and James Jones had stepped up to the point to Jennings was almost an after thought. He's just what we need at receiver, good route runner, good hands, can take the top off of defenses if necessary, and a veteran presence can only help our young guys especially since Jennings is the Anti-Diva.

3) Paul Kruger LB Ravens
Now I know you're going to say he's a 3-4 guy but he's very athletic and could be one of those guys who succeeds in both systems. Marvin has wanted a pass rushing SAM ever since he left Baltimore when he had Peter Boulware. He had 9 sacks this season while only starting 5 games and 5.5 last season while starting none. Plus this move weakens the Ravens. Now I don't know about him in the run or pass game because I don't watch Baltimore, you're going to have to ask someone else like Truck or eoxyod.

4) Sean Smith CB Miami
Assuming we don't resign Newman who will be 35 in September and Clements who will be 34 in December, the smart thing to do would be to sign a guy just hitting his prime. Look no further than Smith. We've had trouble with taller receivers, well Smith could be our answer, he's 6'4" 214. He has good speed and decent ball skills, plus he'll only be 26 in July and just hitting his prime. Now people will say we have Kirkpatrick, but there's no guarantee he'll be healthy or even any good. Smith is healthy and pretty good. I think a CB trio of Hall, Smith and Pacman is better than Hall, Allen/Kirk, and Pacman.

5) Jairus Byrd FS Buffalo
He is the definition of playmaker, with 18 career picks and 10 forced fumbles in just 4 seasons he has good speed for a safety and a knack for picking off passes. We could slide Reggie Nelson over since he plays both positions anyway and be solidified at safety for the next few years.

6) Jason Campbell QB Chicago
Campbell is a former first rounder with a rocket for an arm with some decent wheels. We need someone to push Dalton and Campbell is the best QB not named Flacco in the FA pool. Now I know people will say we have Gradkowski, do you honestly think Grad can push Dalton? The answer is no. He can do his "mentor" thing as the 3rd QB on the depth chart.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Last edited by Bryan; 01-11-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1791

just 3 two really expensive ej henderson and paul kruger. 1 moderate in devery henderson.
resign MJ and franchise andre. we would have a chance to compete for a championship. Draft a running back with 1 of our first 3 picks to compliment lawfirm.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 886

Huh, I'm surprised Odom is still in the league.

If he's healthy, I wouldn't be surprised if they signed Aaron Curry. I'm curious if the guy has anything left.

Am I the only one who would think it'd be hilarious if the team re-signed Keith Rivers?

I doubt they go after Bowe and Wallace is a pipe dream. If the team is looking for a free agent WR, they're probably looking for a guy who'll be okay with just a one or two year contract, so I don't know if any of the really young WR would want to come here. Jennings on the other hand is a remote possibility.

I know it'll probably never happen, but signing Connor Barwin would be awesome. He's probably a priority for the Texans front office though. Ah well.

Sean Smith looks like a guy looking for that big payday. With who the team already has on the roster and is likely going to bring back, I just don't see the Bengals making that move. It would be nice though, seeing how the Dolphins pretty much run the same defense as us.

Considering the massive, recognized hole in Safety, if the Bengals do make an out of the ordinary splash in free agency, I could see them going for one of the top safeties. Safety is relatively cheaper and there are some darn good options likely to be available. I'd do a celebration dance if we got Byrd, but Delmas, Goldson, or Chung would be nice also.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10798

Jarius Byrd and Dwayne Bowe.

Get the rest via draft.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 30

I don't think Byrd will hit free agency. It's between him and Levitre as to who they put the Tag on and I've got to think they try to get at least one of them tied up before they have to use the tag.

Bowe will likely come in cheaper than expected. He's too inconsistent (I know his QBs haven't helped there) and doesn't always seem to have the best attitude. Bringing him in as a number 2 might work.

Personally Wallace is the obvious choice at WR. A true deep threat that can help pull the safety away from AJs side a bit. After the issues him and the Steelers had this year I doubt he goes back there.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2675

How about a TE who is roughly 250 lbs, ran a 4.70 at the combine, and can also throw the ball as a back-up QB. (Gresham ran a 4.66)

The one I'm thinking of has a playoff win vs. Pittsburgh on his resume.

I'm only half-trolling. I wouldn't mind having that weapon for games when our offense is getting otherwise stuffed.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4998

addition by subtraction - DO NOT re-sign Rey!!!!!

re-sign our own WORTHY free agents

Paul Krueger LB
Sean Smith CB
Jarius Byrd S
Bowe or Hartline WR

I see a veteran WR as a very important addition.

Get a RB in 1 of the first two rounds along with a Center (by round 3).
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2585

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.W. View Post
addition by subtraction - DO NOT re-sign Rey!!!!!

re-sign our own WORTHY free agents

Paul Krueger LB
Sean Smith CB
Jarius Byrd S
Bowe or Hartline WR

I see a veteran WR as a very important addition.

Get a RB in 1 of the first two rounds along with a Center (by round 3).
ravens fans despised Kreuger the first half of the season.

Part of me makes me wonder how much of his performance was contract related.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basballguy View Post
ravens fans despised Kreuger the first half of the season.

Part of me makes me wonder how much of his performance was contract related.
A lot of times fans despise players that don't deserve the criticism.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
A lot of times fans despise players that don't deserve the criticism.

And a lot of other times they make excuses for players that deserve it.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basballguy View Post
And a lot of other times they make excuses for players that deserve it.
I don't know how well he played I didn't watch any Ravens games except the season opener, and I know he got to Dalton. What I do know is he's considered one of the better FA this season, and I know the Ravens players think very highly of him, and that the FO wants him back. Ozzie Newsome knows players.

Best Run I've Ever Seen