Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128
Default About WR's...

Me personally, I'm ok with Sanu being our #2. But the great thing about Mo is his versatility. So he'll have no trouble playing slot along with Hawk. Which means we have a lot of routes this April to improve the WR troops. IMO, there isn't a sure 1st round worthy WR in this class. So I don't say pull the trigger in Round 1. I'm in favor of drafting Da'Rick Rogers in round 3. But if we just have a more consistent and unpredictable run scheme and play calling, our passing game will improve tons. So maybe the only way to improve the passing game, is to improve the aspects around it. (A.K.A. Draft Giovanni Bernard and fire Jay Gruden).

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 105
Default Re: About WR's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
Me personally, I'm ok with Sanu being our #2. But the great thing about Mo is his versatility. So he'll have no trouble playing slot along with Hawk. Which means we have a lot of routes this April to improve the WR troops. IMO, there isn't a sure 1st round worthy WR in this class. So I don't say pull the trigger in Round 1. I'm in favor of drafting Da'Rick Rogers in round 3. But if we just have a more consistent and unpredictable run scheme and play calling, our passing game will improve tons. So maybe the only way to improve the passing game, is to improve the aspects around it. (A.K.A. Draft Giovanni Bernard and fire Jay Gruden).
Dont forget Hue Jacksons waiting in the weeds for his shots. Which I still believe is why he was hired to maintain continuity if Gruden left. I like Gruden though he just needs to stop free lancing and stick to his game plan. It seems like he called better games last year but maybe thats just me.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1948

Quote:
I wouldn't fire Gruden just yet, but then again he may be gone anyhow. And if he is then Hue Jackson probably is the leader in the clubhouse, which IMO would be more to my liking with his desire to run the ball.

Having said all that I do agree with the rest of what you wrote especially with regards to making the offense more dynamic by being more dynamic in the run game. Bernard intrigues me as does Kenjon Barner and to a lesser extent Ball, Lacy & Lattimore.

2010 Bengals Draft Prospect Profiles Thread
Link

2011 Bengals Draft Prospect Profiles Thread
Link

E.Bruce/P.Brown/W.Hayes
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28168

Quote:
There are 2 or 3 WRs worth taking in 1. Now, I expect at least 1 to be gone, but Keenan Allen and Terrance Williams are both definitely worth it.

That said, the problem with our WR corps isn't talent, it's experience. AJ Green has spoiled a lot of Bengals fans. Rookie WRs as a general rule struggle. I believe that if Jones, Sanu, and Hawkins stay healthy next year our receiver group will be good.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
There are 2 or 3 WRs worth taking in 1. Now, I expect at least 1 to be gone, but Keenan Allen and Terrance Williams are both definitely worth it.

That said, the problem with our WR corps isn't talent, it's experience. AJ Green has spoiled a lot of Bengals fans. Rookie WRs as a general rule struggle. I believe that if Jones, Sanu, and Hawkins stay healthy next year our receiver group will be good.
I still believe you will see one drafted mainly for competition in Training Camp. I really like Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu and think Sanu completely changed this offense when he was on the field. He brings so much versatility to the offense that can change the game and leaving the defense saying WTF!!! ---see Washington---

Still think it would be a good idea to draft one or two, maybe even a WR and TE! Because if you think of it, this offense isnt that far away. A couple more pieces and a improved playbook and this offense could really take off!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
I still believe you will see one drafted mainly for competition in Training Camp. I really like Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu and think Sanu completely changed this offense when he was on the field. He brings so much versatility to the offense that can change the game and leaving the defense saying WTF!!! ---see Washington---

Still think it would be a good idea to draft one or two, maybe even a WR and TE! Because if you think of it, this offense isnt that far away. A couple more pieces and a improved playbook and this offense could really take off!
I agree completely. It's fair to say that our receivers (as Herb Brooks would say) are not talented enough to won on talent alone, excluding A.J.. Experience will definitely help them. I think I went through a hate phase of Jay Gruden's play calling. I'm better now, but he definitely needs some eraser shavings in that playbook, or erasing in that iPad.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-08-2013, 11:34 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
I agree completely. It's fair to say that our receivers (as Herb Brooks would say) are not talented enough to won on talent alone, excluding A.J.. Experience will definitely help them. I think I went through a hate phase of Jay Gruden's play calling. I'm better now, but he definitely needs some eraser shavings in that playbook, or erasing in that iPad.
Gruden needs to go period! Bring a good young offensive mind who can get the job done and utilize our players to the best of their abilities.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 312

Quote:
Rather sign Jennings or Bowe
Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

Not a fan of Gruden either. Score one TD and Bengals win. He couldn't do that. I hope he gets hired somewhere else and Cincy appoints Hue Jackson to OC. Cincy needs a #2, they do not have one on there roster right now. If it's through FA or the Draft, they need to address the situation.

Now, when I say, "Who's da mastah?" you say, "Sho'nuff!"
Old 01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 192

I'm telling you guys.
DeAndre Hopkins Clemson. He 6-1 200 with 4.40 speed. He plays next to Watkins so he knows how to play the 2 (even though he has been more productive). He is a beast! Him and AJ could make such a good duo.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1454

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm226 View Post
I'm telling you guys.
DeAndre Hopkins Clemson. He 6-1 200 with 4.40 speed. He plays next to Watkins so he knows how to play the 2 (even though he has been more productive). He is a beast! Him and AJ could make such a good duo.
Definitely a Nuk fan, just don't think we need to snag a WR before the 4th rd.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2040

I would like to see us draft Roy Roundtree

$70 PER REFERRAL ---> ONE TIME $7.94 + A computer!!!
http://www.60.instantrewards.net/index.php?ref=456329

Credit to a user named "Oldsie" of caws.ws
Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2372

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm226 View Post
I'm telling you guys.
Like this guy, he just declared as well. Reminds me a little of AJ, however I don't know if another deep threat is an option with Andy's arm.

I think this kid will be a mover in the draft.
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
VIP Member

Draft Quinton Patton. Him across from AJ would be good. If you haven't saw any video on him go to youtube and see what he did against TAMU's D. 21 catches for like 230 yards and 4 TD's dude is legit.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1513

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82bengal View Post
Not a fan of Gruden either. Score one TD and Bengals win. He couldn't do that. I hope he gets hired somewhere else and Cincy appoints Hue Jackson to OC. Cincy needs a #2, they do not have one on there roster right now. If it's through FA or the Draft, they need to address the situation.
Isn't it a little unfair to blast Gruden knowing we don't have a real #2 target or a consistent running game? Granted BJGE had a couple nice runs, but he doesn't do it consistently.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezmerga View Post
Isn't it a little unfair to blast Gruden knowing we don't have a real #2 target or a consistent running game? Granted BJGE had a couple nice runs, but he doesn't do it consistently.
they abandoned the running game when BJGE was averaging over 6 a carry in that playoff game, thats totally Gruden's fault nobody elses.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezmerga View Post
Gruden being out coached is Grudens fault and Brown/Marvins fault for thinking a guy could step out of the Arena league and coach an offense in the NFL.

He had plenty to score more TD's then our defense I would think.
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown
Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 946

Another mid-round gem: Josh Boyce, TCU

He'd be an ideal #2. Good speed. Good hands. Good rapport with ginger boy. A sleeper...;
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
VIP Member

projected in the 5-6 range as of now.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929

I am of the mindset that if we want a legitimate #2 we need to take one that could also be the #1 in a pinch and has been the #1 before in college. I don't want to take a flyer on a mid round prospect, we have tried that before, just fill the hole with BPA. To me there are 4 guys that could be had at our 2 or 2b pick:
1. Robert Woods
2. DeAndre Hopkins
3. Justin Hunter
4. Terrance Williams.

I ranked them in my order if preference.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I am of the mindset that if we want a legitimate #2 we need to take one that could also be the #1 in a pinch and has been the #1 before in college. I don't want to take a flyer on a mid round prospect, we have tried that before, just fill the hole with BPA. To me there are 4 guys that could be had at our 2 or 2b pick:
1. Robert Woods
2. DeAndre Hopkins
3. Justin Hunter
4. Terrance Williams.

I ranked them in my order if preference.
Of those 4 I like Hopkins the best. I still think many are overlooking Patton.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Of those 4 I like Hopkins the best. I still think many are overlooking Patton.
I am initially passing over him because the level of competition he played against is possibly over inflating his accomplishments. The major school he competed against was Texas A&M and their best CB is projected to be only an NFL UDFA. Granted he did go 21 for 233 for them so that is impressive none the less. His performances were also all over the place. 36 yds against Houston, 164 vs Illinois, 41 and 42 against Idaho and New Mexico State. I need to see a lot more videos of him before I know enough to say yes or no to him.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6283

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
Like this guy, he just declared as well. Reminds me a little of AJ, however I don't know if another deep threat is an option with Andy's arm.

I think this kid will be a mover in the draft.
He's more than a deep threat. He can work the middle of the field as well. I like him a lot in the 2nd round.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
I am initially passing over him because the level of competition he played against is possibly over inflating his accomplishments. The major school he competed against was Texas A&M and their best CB is projected to be only an NFL UDFA. Granted he did go 21 for 233 for them so that is impressive none the less. His performances were also all over the place. 36 yds against Houston, 164 vs Illinois, 41 and 42 against Idaho and New Mexico State. I need to see a lot more videos of him before I know enough to say yes or no to him.
Johnathon Banks said Patton was the most complete WR he went up against.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 946

Quote:
He played decent against Johnathan Banks (Miss. St.) in 2011. Banks'll be a Day 1 or 2 guy. Patton is intriguing, but so was Troy Edwards when he came out of La Tech about 12 years ago. The Steelers drafted him in the 1st, and he had more raw talent than Patton. I remember watching Edwards tune up Ralph Brown for about 400 yards and 3 TD's in a shootout with Nebraska, but I digress. Edwards had a hit and miss career pro career. Patton seems to run better routes than Edwards.