Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > College Football

College Football Now all you Buckeyes homers have your own place to talk about your favorite team.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5657
Default 2013 Buckeyes

With the 2012 college football season behind us, it's time to start focusing on 2013. Ohio State finished the season at #3 with the only undefeated record in the country, and now stand as the clear favorites to win the Big Ten in the upcoming season. They return virtually all of their skill position players, including Braxton Miller at QB, who finished #5 in Heisman voting last year, and Bradley Roby at CB, who many thought would leave for the NFL, and Jordan Hall, a senior RB who was sidelined for much of 2012 by a foot injury. They also have a recruiting class that currently ranks in the top three, as ranked by Scout, Rivals, and ESPN.

The biggest question for Ohio State in 2013 is whether they will be able to extend the longest active winning streak in college football to 26. If they can remain focused, their schedule could allow them to run the table for a second year, as they dodge some of the better teams outside their division, such as Nebraska and Michigan State. The Wisconsin game comes early in the regime of the Badgers' new coach, and I think that the sanctions put on Penn State will start to show this year. Regardless, both of these division games will take place in the 'Shoe. By my estimation, the biggest game on the schedule will be at Northwestern (the only team on the schedule to have won a bowl game in the 2012 season), followed by at Michigan and at Purdue.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025
Default Re: 2013 Buckeyes

2013 Ohio State Schedule:

Buffalo Bulls
San Diego State Aztecs
@ California Golden Bears
Florida A&M Rattlers
Wisconsin Badgers
@ Northwestern Wildcats
---Bye---
Iowa Hawkeyes
Penn State Nitany Lions
@ Purdue Boilermakers
---Bye---
@ Illinois Fighting Illini
Indiana Hoosiers
@ Michigan Wolverines

At first glance, you might not think that is a hard schedule, but if you look closer, it could be a very competitive schedule.

- San Diego State has been competitive ever since Brady Hoke was their coach and remained competitive since Hoke left.

- California played us very hard in the Shoe last year and now we go to them. Granted, they will have a new coach but still, that might not be a pushover.

- Florida A&M should not be a problem what so ever.

- Wisconsin going through a head coaching change but that is the first trap game of the year for the Buckeyes bc its the start of the Big Ten conference play and its always a hard fought game.

- Northwestern is scary. Not many people give them must respect because they havent been relevant all the way up till two years ago.

- Iowa shouldnt be a problem at all.

- Bill OBrien has taken a program that was completely buried 6 feet in the ground and dug them right out and put his stamp on the future of Penn State. OBrien is the classiest coach in college football. He had the oppurtunity to turn to the NFL this year and has already said he is in it for the long run.

- Purdue is going through another head coaching change and bringing in Hazzell from Kent State, but we have played down to Purdue for two straight years; lost one and won one. Dont over look the Boilermakers.

- Illinois shouldnt be a problem at all.

- Indiana somehow put up huge numbers against us last year so that wont be easy.

- Michigan, well, is Michigan. Biggest game of the year. Arguably the greatest rivalry in all of sports. It rivals Bama vs Auburn as the greatest rivalry game in college football.

Brady Hoke's Michigan and Urban Meyer's Ohio State are the face of the Big Ten Conference. There are some strong coaches coming into the conference and I give it another 2 - 3 years before this conference is back to the second best conference in football. The only reason the SEC is the best conference in football is because they seem to be the only conference that doesnt have standards for their football players.

With all that being said, Urban was undefeated in his first year as the Buckeyes head coach and installing a new system. Meyer has come out and said that Braxton is more athletically talented then Tebow and is the perfect QB for his system. If Braxton can fix his throwing issues, he will be scary. Its Manziel, Bridgewater and Miller for Offensive Heisman and Clowney for Defensive Heisman. I may be a homer but I strongly believe this Buckeyes team has a very good chance of repeating another undefeated season and win the Big Ten Championship and possibly get into a championship game. Again, that is the homer in me, so take it for what its worth!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11426

Can't wait for this upcoming season. Should be interesting to see if they can improve on an already
great 2012 season.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1609

With Johnny Manziel I'm not sure if Braxton Miller will have a shot at the Heisman.

Braxton went to my old high school, Wayne HS, in Huber Heights, Ohio.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118

A couple of things here...As pointed out, the schedule will be tougher than it looks. But, as long as we stay healthy, this offense will be putting up some ridiculous numbers, like Oregon, especially in the weak B1G. Wisconsin, although losing their coach and Ball, returns a ridiculous amount of seniors which is concerning. You guys have gone over most of the schedule so no need to do that again, but it will be crucial for (assuming we make the game and want to be undefeated and playing for a national title), that whoever we play in the B1G title game is undefeated or only has one loss so the game gets a ton of hype. That would really help us out with out perceived weak schedule. On a side note, I have respect for Bill O'Brien for staying but I wouldn't necessarily call him the classiest guy...http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNAXxpZJAc (warning has the f word). And I'm predicting Manziel doesn't win another Heisman because he seems like the type of guy that is already reading to many news paper clippings about himself...http://houston.culturemap.com/newsde...mall-town-guy/
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
2013 Ohio State Schedule:

Buffalo Bulls
San Diego State Aztecs
@ California Golden Bears
Florida A&M Rattlers
Wisconsin Badgers
@ Northwestern Wildcats
---Bye---
Iowa Hawkeyes
Penn State Nitany Lions
@ Purdue Boilermakers
---Bye---
@ Illinois Fighting Illini
Indiana Hoosiers
@ Michigan Wolverines

At first glance, you might not think that is a hard schedule, but if you look closer, it could be a very competitive schedule.

- San Diego State has been competitive ever since Brady Hoke was their coach and remained competitive since Hoke left.

- California played us very hard in the Shoe last year and now we go to them. Granted, they will have a new coach but still, that might not be a pushover.

- Florida A&M should not be a problem what so ever.

- Wisconsin going through a head coaching change but that is the first trap game of the year for the Buckeyes bc its the start of the Big Ten conference play and its always a hard fought game.

- Northwestern is scary. Not many people give them must respect because they havent been relevant all the way up till two years ago.

- Iowa shouldnt be a problem at all.

- Bill OBrien has taken a program that was completely buried 6 feet in the ground and dug them right out and put his stamp on the future of Penn State. OBrien is the classiest coach in college football. He had the oppurtunity to turn to the NFL this year and has already said he is in it for the long run.

- Purdue is going through another head coaching change and bringing in Hazzell from Kent State, but we have played down to Purdue for two straight years; lost one and won one. Dont over look the Boilermakers.

- Illinois shouldnt be a problem at all.

- Indiana somehow put up huge numbers against us last year so that wont be easy.

- Michigan, well, is Michigan. Biggest game of the year. Arguably the greatest rivalry in all of sports. It rivals Bama vs Auburn as the greatest rivalry game in college football.

Brady Hoke's Michigan and Urban Meyer's Ohio State are the face of the Big Ten Conference. There are some strong coaches coming into the conference and I give it another 2 - 3 years before this conference is back to the second best conference in football. The only reason the SEC is the best conference in football is because they seem to be the only conference that doesnt have standards for their football players.

With all that being said, Urban was undefeated in his first year as the Buckeyes head coach and installing a new system. Meyer has come out and said that Braxton is more athletically talented then Tebow and is the perfect QB for his system. If Braxton can fix his throwing issues, he will be scary. Its Manziel, Bridgewater and Miller for Offensive Heisman and Clowney for Defensive Heisman. I may be a homer but I strongly believe this Buckeyes team has a very good chance of repeating another undefeated season and win the Big Ten Championship and possibly get into a championship game. Again, that is the homer in me, so take it for what its worth!
Good lord look at that cup cake schedule. Criminal.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal Droppings View Post
Good lord look at that cup cake schedule. Criminal.
Yeah, maybe they should have scheduled some real toughies like Western Kentucky or Florida Atlantic. Maybe even a late season matchup against Western Carolina?

At least Cal and SD State were respectable when we scheduled them several years ago.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Graduated Newbie

bengals Re: 2013 Buckeyes

Vanderbilt gave OSU the middle finger at the last minute of the scheduling game and dropped OSU from the schedule and SDSU was the best school willing to schedule us last minute.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20086

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
Yeah, maybe they should have scheduled some real toughies like Western Kentucky or Florida Atlantic. Maybe even a late season matchup against Western Carolina?

At least Cal and SD State were respectable when we scheduled them several years ago.

It is pretty cupcake of a schedule, in terms of the non-conference schedule. And this is one thing I do not like at all about College FB schedules, is that teams agree to play each other like 8-10 years in advance. Should be no more than 4 years in advance if that even.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 01-11-2013, 05:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
It is pretty cupcake of a schedule, in terms of the non-conference schedule. And this is one thing I do not like at all about College FB schedules, is that teams agree to play each other like 8-10 years in advance. Should be no more than 4 years in advance if that even.

Uhm, Millz...The Big 10 is pretty much a cupcake schedule, these days. Just sayin', and I'm a fan.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20086

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Uhm, Millz...The Big 10 is pretty much a cupcake schedule, these days. Just sayin', and I'm a fan.

Well cupcake for the Buckeyes at least. Should be renamed the "OSU + 13 Other Schools Conference" for football these next few years, and Big10 for the other sports.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Well cupcake for the Buckeyes at least. Should be renamed the "OSU + 13 Other Schools Conference" for football these next few years, and Big10 for the other sports.

As Buckeye fans, we can only hope that the other programs pick up the pace. Otherwise, the Buckeyes will get housed in a major bowl, simply by not being used to the level of competition.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Graduated Newbie

No matter what happens in the B1G, Urban Frank Meyer will have us competing with Bama, LSU or any other SEC team!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pickens View Post
No matter what happens in the B1G, Urban Frank Meyer will have us competing with Bama, LSU or any other SEC team!

Being able to compete with them is one thing, being able to beat them is another.

Imo, a championship team must face championship level competition, in order to truly know how to handle adversity and overcome.

If you ask me, had Bama' not had to face Georgia in the SEC title game, ND might have had a fighting chance against them.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Graduated Newbie

Quote:
Being able to compete with them is one thing, being able to beat them is another.

Imo, a championship team must face championship level competition, in order to truly know how to handle adversity and overcome.

If you ask me, had Bama' not had to face Georgia in the SEC title game, ND might have had a fighting chance against them.
We will have the talent to beat teams like Bama within 2 more years. Mark it down
Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

It's a delicate balance, I think. You have to have an easy enough schedule to go undefeated, but hard enough that you are prepared. Michigan scheduled Alabama, and Notre Dame, and that didn't help them at all. Alabama played one of the worst nonconference schedules I've ever seen (aside from their game against Michigan, and they were overrated this year), and it worked out nicely for them. Hopefully this will change when the playoff system starts.

Last edited by whodey21; 01-13-2013 at 02:16 AM. Reason: clarification