Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21020
Default Re: Taylor Mays

My only problem with moving Mays to LB is that he's not a very good tackler. We knew this about him coming out of college. His signature move of throwing a flying shoulder (helmet) is good for highlight reels (and penalties), but that's about it.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2892
bengals Re: Taylor Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
My only problem with moving Mays to LB is that he's not a very good tackler. We knew this about him coming out of college. His signature move of throwing a flying shoulder (helmet) is good for highlight reels (and penalties), but that's about it.
Well like I say my technical knowledge is non-existence, but would it be easier for him to not throw the shoulder when he's playing in less space and with more defenders around him? Idk if he did move it would take a while for him to learn and adapt he's body and playing style for LB I just think it would be a good idea and he could move around the field as a hybrid safety/linebacker.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
Well like I say my technical knowledge is non-existence, but would it be easier for him to not throw the shoulder when he's playing in less space and with more defenders around him? Idk if he did move it would take a while for him to learn and adapt he's body and playing style for LB I just think it would be a good idea and he could move around the field as a hybrid safety/linebacker.
Plus, Zimmer's said that he's not real good at blitzing. It could be an interesting experiment, but not until we get a real SS.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
It isn't about where he is on the field. It is about his ability to play disciplined and technically sound. He doesn't. He isn't a blitzer and cant tackle. Not a good LB.

Plus, he would probably get killed trying to throw his shoulder into a lineman.
As a LB, ******* off a guy who is 300+ lbs and is has the opportunity to go at your knee is a terrible idea.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
It isn't about where he is on the field. It is about his ability to play disciplined and technically sound. He doesn't. He isn't a blitzer and cant tackle. Not a good LB.

Plus, he would probably get killed trying to throw his shoulder into a lineman.
As a LB, ******* off a guy who is 300+ lbs and is has the opportunity to go at your knee is a terrible idea.
So we can have a LB in Rey who is slow, can't cover, can't get off blocks, and misses his fair share of tackles.

Or we can have Mays, who is fast, can kind of cover TE's, can't get off blocks, and launches himself resulting in missed tackles.

I don't think anyone here is saying Mays will be a great or even good LB, it's just that our current group aside from Burfict has been abysmal and people are just desperate for a change.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
So we can have a LB in Rey who is slow, can't cover, can't get off blocks, and misses his fair share of tackles.

Or we can have Mays, who is fast, can kind of cover TE's, can't get off blocks, and launches himself resulting in missed tackles.

I don't think anyone here is saying Mays will be a great or even good LB, it's just that our current group aside from Burfict has been abysmal and people are just desperate for a change.
Except Mays would be worse at those things than Rey.
And that desperation is getting out of hand. Mays, regardless of where he plays is not good at football things right now.

And Mays covered a TE for one game last year. If things Rey did dont count for him from last year, neither should things for Mays.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7952
Default Taylor Mays OLB?

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before but why not again being a new off season and all?
If they draft a S and add one via FA would Mays be able to bulk up and play on the outside?
Not sure what his current size is but most of us have seen the picture of him and USC's LBer cops from a few years back.
It's not like the team is getting a lot of production from him at S and the move could give the team some speed and athleticism at the position.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 01-11-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2094
Default Re: Taylor Mays OLB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before but why not again being a new off season and all?
If they draft a S and add one via FA would Mays be able to bulk up and play on the outside?
Not sure what his current size is but most of us have seen the picture of him and USC's LBer cops from a few years back.
It's not like the team is getting a lot of production from him at S and the move could give the team some speed and athleticism at the position.
I think he should have BEEN started playing Sam backer. The only time he came in at safety was to be the SS in OBVIOUS running situations. Why not just make him the starting SLB and get rid of .... of..... I cant even remember his name he was so nonexistent!

Manny Lawson!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 7

i agree with you coach.not only mays but also iloka.mays is 6'3" and 230.iloka is 6'4" and 225.i feel if they each put on 20 lbs of muscle and keep their speed it would be awesome.we bring in kruger at sam and draft dion jordan to play will and chase thomas at sam.we bring back thomas howard and skuta and we have our line backers set.kruger and howard will help with moving burfect to mlb and vet leadership.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 624

lol in all seriousness not sure he is physical enough at the point of attack

Let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger
Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 43072

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLucieBengal View Post

True, as the NFL rules certainly do not favor him. He is at his best against "defenseless" receivers.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3205

Our linebacker situation is really bad.

Burfict..signed thru 2015
Lamur...signed thru 2015
Moch...who?...signed thru 2015
Schaffer...practice squad

Howard..FA
Lawson..FA
Maualuga..FA
Skuta..FA
Rey..Exclusive Rights FA

If we don't fill in with some bodies, Mays or someone else will have to play it.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 76825

He doesn't have the bulk and he's not strong enough at the point of attack.

"Her name Bubbles!!!"
Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9218

I can't say I'd be totally opposed to this. He is fast, so he should be able to handle TEs in coverage and his ability to hit makes him a good candidate for taking on RBs coming out of the backfield, however, few DBs, especially at the S position, have to deal with shedding blockers the size of the guys (meaning OL) LBs do. That could be a huge hurdle to overcome.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLucieBengal View Post

I know it's been discussed but it's a new off season and there's a new draft coming.
He's a talented kid. He's just not a great S...well at least not thus far. If he bulks up he may be stronger at the point of attack.
Hate to see talent squandered.

If someone would plz post the USC pick I would be grateful.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16879

Quote:
I know it's been discussed but it's a new off season and there's a new draft coming.
He's a talented kid. He's just not a great S...well at least not thus far. If he bulks up he may be stronger at the point of attack.

If someone would plz post the USC pick I would be grateful.
He;s not talented
Old 01-11-2013, 06:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9218

Quote:
LOL - Your comments just made me think of this: Mays is shaping up to be the S equivalent of Tim Tebow.

They both have a lot of talent and natural athletic ability, but they have yet to show it in the NFL and may be running of time to do so. At least Tebow lead the Broncos to a playoff win.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 43072

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
LOL - Your comments just made me think of this: Mays is shaping up to be the S equivalent of Tim Tebow.

They both have a lot of talent and natural athletic ability, but they have yet to show it in the NFL and may be running of time to do so.

And that is OK, as they each have had their chance to earn their keep on more than one NFL team. There are new up and comers every year, just as athletically gifted, and they all deserve their shot as well. Both Tebow and Mays should start considering life after the NFL.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
He doesn't have the bulk and he's not strong enough at the point of attack.
People thought the same of Thomas Davis, and he excelled, until multiple knee injuries derailed him. I'd try Mays at Will or on nickel. Moch to me, is still a situational pass rusher. He's better suited to a 3-4 team as a rush LB. Marvin has drafted several 3-4 tweener-types, and none have borne fruit while here. Maybe Moch can stand up and play, but history tells us the odds are against it.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Don't misunderstand I'm not a big fan of Mays but sometimes gambles work out.
See Vontez Burfict.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 76825

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3r3e3 View Post
People thought the same of Thomas Davis, and he excelled, until multiple knee injuries derailed him. I'd try Mays at Will or on nickel. Moch to me, is still a situational pass rusher. He's better suited to a 3-4 team as a rush LB. Marvin has drafted several 3-4 tweener-types, and none have borne fruit while here. Maybe Moch can stand up and play, but history tells us the odds are against it.
It's the injury aspect I would be most worried about for Mays at LB. His body wasn't made for the pounding LBs take, IMO.

I don't necessarily disagree about Moch. But at this point, we can't really tell because the guy can't stay healthy enough to get on the field. It's looking like he's gonna be a washout.

"Her name Bubbles!!!"
Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5594

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
Our linebacker situation is really bad.

Burfict..signed thru 2015
Lamur...signed thru 2015
Moch...who?...signed thru 2015
Schaffer...practice squad

Howard..FA
Lawson..FA
Maualuga..FA
Skuta..FA
Rey..Exclusive Rights FA

If we don't fill in with some bodies, Mays or someone else will have to play it.
You can add Brandon Joiner to that mix. Bengals have him listed as a LB not a DE.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

I'm hoping that he shows up with an appreciation for life and for the opportunity to play pro ball. Like to see a Burfict like season out of him his rookie year.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:21 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6540
bengals Re: Taylor Mays OLB?

I was pounding this drum earlier in the season when I was forced to watch Maualuga. I was praying Burfict would go back inside and maybe Mays could be the WILL. Maybe he could be Howard's backup in case if he doesn't come back 100%. At the very least you know Mays has the speed to not run 7 yards behind TEs/RBs (we're looking at you Maualuga and Lawson).

Guy's 230lbs, so it's not like he's small. He's already bigger than most safeties. Emmanuel Lamur was a safety in college too, who got converted to LBer. Maybe a pro version of this for Mays.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

It would be worth the try. SAM covers the TE and he did a pretty good job of covering them. He would need to add maybe 10-15 lbs.