Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6698
Default Re: So if we dont get Manti, Alec or minter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I think it is a no brainer that we move Burfict to MLB. It's his natural position. I think they like Lemur. And Howard will probably be back considering he was our best LB two years ago. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lawson back to play SAM. I thought the Moch to LB experiment was over when he came back from suspension weighing 270lbs.

I could see us starting Howard, Burfict, and Lawson next year and having an improved LB corps.
I don't think it's a no-brainer. He may have played MIKE in college, but so did Rey. In a 4-3, Burfict is going to have to cover the middle of the field. I'm not sure he can do that.

I think we need to draft a speed.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
I don't think it's a no-brainer. He may have played MIKE in college, but so did Rey. In a 4-3, Burfict is going to have to cover the middle of the field. I'm not sure he can do that.

I agree. Burfict is not much/if any faster than Maualuga, moving him to Mike to cover the middle of the field in coverage is not a good idea. we need to draft someone to play MIKE who can cover.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344

Quote:
I disagree that there are a bunch of good LBs in this draft. Not many top notch options. And none of them are flawless.

A lot of people are down on Lawson. But he isn't completely useless. And we have nothing on the roster that is a better option at SAM. I agree Howard will be a big question mark coming off an injury. But it happened early in the year so he will have had a lot of time to get ready. Lemur could be ready to play as well.

I think we would be in way worse shape if we have no veteran options and are starting two rookie LBs next to Burfict with UDFA's as backups.

Burfict, Howard, Lawson, Lemur leaves room for us to upgrade the back end of our LB corps. Instead of trying to find two starters in a thin class.

It could be a toss up between Maualuga and Lawson whoever resigns plays SAM.
Do whatever we want or whatever we need to do with lawson...but that doesnt change the fact that he is awful and it would upset me if he was back...the feeling is mutual with mauluaga...both come back if we are concerned with depth, it will not be becuase the can produce.
This draft is stacked with linebackers...yes i agree none of them are flawless but there are potential studs and starters for years in this draft almost in every round 2 maybe 3 deep. BTW i am really excited about Lammur and really hope we give Moch 1 more year. just 1. i love the idea of him.
IMO potential starters in this draft at OLB or ILB
Jarvis Jones
B.Mingo
Manti Teo
Alec Ogeltree
Sean Porter
Chase Thomas
Kahssem Greene(although i worry bout his size)
Kevin Minter
Arthur Brown
Jelani Jenkins
Gerald Hodges
Devonte Holloman
Meshak Williams
Brandon Sharpe
Kiko Alonso
Jon Bostic
Nico Johnson
Kevin Reddick

i got tired of doing this...all these guys i think can and will produce a ton at the next level. Pretty good class to me bud.

Last edited by RIPChrisHenry; 01-11-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1353

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
Do whatever we want or whatever we need to do with lawson...but that doesnt change the fact that he is awful and it would upset me if he was back...the feeling is mutual with mauluaga...both come back if we are concerned with depth, it will not be becuase the can produce.
This draft is stacked with linebackers...yes i agree none of them are flawless but there are potential studs and starters for years in this draft almost in every round 2 maybe 3 deep. BTW i am really excited about Lammur and really hope we give Moch 1 more year. just 1. i love the idea of him.
Jarvis Jones
B.Mingo
Manti Teo
Alec Ogeltree
Sean Porter
Chase Thomas
Kevin Minter
Arthur Brown
Jelani Jenkins
Gerald Hodges
Devonte Holloman
Meshak Williams
Brandon Sharpe
Kiko Alonso
Jon Bostic
Nico Johnson
Kevin Reddick

i got tired of doing this...all these guys i think can and will produce a ton at the next level. Pretty good class to me bud.
The main thing you point out is that there are many guys who can help Cincy upgrade their putrid LB core. Rey needs to go. Lawson needs to go. Howard needs to get healthy. Burfict needs to stay. That leaves several slots to upgrade with talent.

It's time for Raggedy Andy to go...
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

I think we keep Burfict at WLB and draft a SAM and resign Maualuga. I still think he is a solid MLB.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny44 View Post
I think we keep Burfict at WLB and draft a SAM and resign Maualuga. I still think he is a solid MLB.
Only thing Maualuga is good for is stopping the run and those are a dime a dozen.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Wrong. Moch practiced exclusively with the LBs when he came back.
Are you sure about that? Because it seemed to me he played more snaps at DE in the preseason than he did at LB and after packing on mass I don't know why they would just give up on that idea when we had recently lost Anderson and didn't know what we had with Gilberry.

So prior to his NFL debut in a game he played DE you are telling me the coaches gave him no reps at DE in practice?

"Jaylynn arrived the same week her dad made his NFL debut in Cleveland. On Sunday, Moch took a handful of third-down snaps at end for his first action since the Bengals took him in the third round in 2011. After Moch had a team-leading 3.5 sacks in the preseason, a career as a pass-rusher that has been hampered by a foot injury, headaches and a league suspension looks like it's about to get started."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...3-3fb76d3b8899
Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post

I agree we could use some speed. That is why bringing Howard back would be big because if he returns to form he has tons of speed.

Generally the WILL should have better coverage ability than your MIKE.

Only reason I say it's a no brainer is because if Howard comes back he was our best LB before the injury. So he regains his previous job at WILL and Burfict goes back to the position he has the most experience playing. And we aren't forced to start a rookie in the middle.

And Burfict is said to have a high football IQ and he seemed to be directing some traffic even though Maualuga was still supposed to be the one doing it. We signed him to play MLB, and now chances are we are moving on from the one guy who was in front of him.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Jarvis Jones
B.Mingo
Manti Teo
Alec Ogeltree
Sean Porter
Chase Thomas
Kevin Minter
Arthur Brown
Jelani Jenkins
Gerald Hodges
Devonte Holloman
Meshak Williams
Brandon Sharpe
Kiko Alonso
Jon Bostic
Nico Johnson
Kevin Reddick

There are tons of solid LB prospects in every draft. The majority of them don't pan out. And even some of the most highly regarded ones bust (think Rivers, Curry). Muckelroy was supposed to be a damn good option. He couldn't beat out a bunch of undrafted guys.

I'm just saying if we go into the year with undrafted free agents backing up rookie starters our LB play could have us wishing we had Maualuga back.

I'm not against drafting LBs. I just think it would be best to have our solid veterans back and start the upgrading at the back end of the roster where I think Skuta and Rey could be replaced.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
There are tons of solid LB prospects in every draft. The majority of them don't pan out. And even some of the most highly regarded ones bust (think Rivers, Curry). Muckelroy was supposed to be a damn good option. He couldn't beat out a bunch of undrafted guys.

I'm just saying if we go into the year with undrafted free agents backing up rookie starters our LB play could have us wishing we had Maualuga back.

I'm not against drafting LBs. I just think it would be best to have our solid veterans back and start the upgrading at the back end of the roster where I think Skuta and Rey could be replaced.
Any of the LB's i've had in my mocks I'd take over Maualuga any day of the week and not be worried all year.

Upgrading our backups instead of our starters is stupid.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Any of the LB's i've had in my mocks I'd take over Maualuga any day of the week and not be worried all year.

Upgrading our backups instead of our starters is stupid.
So you think it is a better idea replacing our starters with guys who have never played a snap in the NFL and keeping the same backups who were not even good enough to overtake starters who seemingly underwhelmed all year.

Having a rookie in the middle calling plays would be a bad start, and on top of that if we have an injury the backups are the same guys who were not good enough to get any meaningful action over the guys everyone wants replaced.

There is a reason every coach in the NFL when given the option if the ability is equal chooses veteran player over inexperienced player.

To think that throwing just about any rookie/s in there is going to be an upgrade is living in fantasy land.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
So you think it is a better idea replacing our starters with guys who have never played a snap in the NFL and keeping the same backups who were not even good enough to overtake starters who seemingly underwhelmed all year.

Having a rookie in the middle calling plays would be a bad start, and on top of that if we have an injury the backups are the same guys who were not good enough to get any meaningful action over the guys everyone wants replaced.

There is a reason every coach in the NFL when given the option if the ability is equal chooses veteran player over inexperienced player.

To think that throwing just about any rookie/s in there is going to be an upgrade is living in fantasy land.
buddy when it comes to maualuga he is horrendous it don't take much to get better than him,catch my drift.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

I think Ogletree will go to us in the 1st.

OLB-Ogletree

MLB-Burfict

OLB-Howard
Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2980

LB is going to be interesting during the offseason. Since Howard was injured so early I hope he is able to make it back and also resign.

I saw this guy early this year and he kind of stuck out. I'm not going to lie he reminds me a little of Tez. I think he would be a possibility at SAM and rush end. Looks like he needs some coaching much like Tez but the natural instints are there. He could be a nice pickup in the 4th don't know if he would be starting material in his first year but you never know.

Jamie Collins Southern Miss. 6-3 240
These are game filmes not "highlights"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgo4xXFTA84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdfOVU3dtSo

Does alot of different things in these two games. Rush the passer, cover, swat balls down, sack the qb, play the run.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I agree with the non pass rushing LB in the first. Dion Jordan, provided he is healthy, is the only LB/DE I want in the first. I almost think we need Tez in the middle and have a rotation like the Dline with the other guys at LB.

I don't know what happened to Muck, he really looked promising and made plays when given the chance. IDK I guess that is why we are on the MB's and they are coaches.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
I think Ogletree will go to us in the 1st.

OLB-Ogletree

MLB-Burfict

OLB-Howard
I wish everybody would stop ASUMING that Howard is just going to come back from an ACL injury and just be like he used to be. Nothing is a guarantee that's why you have to address it in the draft.

Last edited by pulses; 01-12-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

This draft should be used to completely over-haul our LB corps. And by overhaul, I mean, draft two solid LBs. There are some good linebackers in this draft. I like Chase Thomas, Hodges from Penn State, Greene from Rutgers, Porter from A&M. I would not be upset if we snatched two of them. I dont really know who would fit a SAM or a WILL LB but if it meant shifting Burfict to the MIKE, I would be completely fine with that!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
This draft should be used to completely over-haul our LB corps. And by overhaul, I mean, draft two solid LBs. There are some good linebackers in this draft. I like Chase Thomas, Hodges from Penn State, Greene from Rutgers, Porter from A&M. I would not be upset if we snatched two of them. I dont really know who would fit a SAM or a WILL LB but if it meant shifting Burfict to the MIKE, I would be completely fine with that!
I respect your opinion with these to but I just don't see it. They really don't fit the SAM linbacker mold. Greene is a converted S and IMO plays like it. He would make a good Nickle Cover LB.

Porter is going to get drafted higher becaue of Von Miller. He misses and arm tackles too much. Looks good in a straight line to the QB when no one is blocking him.

I think Thomas fits really well, is build like a LB, and I would welcome that.

It seems like more and more colleges are making safties LB's and LB's DE's to combat the option and spread.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

The mid rounder I wanted Cincy to draft last year was Bobby Wagner. How'd he do? There are guys out there who can handle it. Refusing to replace mediocrity (Rey) with a potential upgrade because you're worried about experience means you'll continue to get mediocrity. That's not going to advance the defense from a good one to an NFL elite defense. Changes have to be made. Chances have to be taken. Or 9-7/10-6 is all the Bengals will get. That's not cutting it. The LB core needs upgrades, be they starters or reserves. Here's a novel thought: Hopefully draft a replacement starter, and allow Burfict and Howard to continue starting. Draft another LB to bolster the reserves.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I respect your opinion with these to but I just don't see it. They really don't fit the SAM linbacker mold. Greene is a converted S and IMO plays like it. He would make a good Nickle Cover LB.

Porter is going to get drafted higher becaue of Von Miller. He misses and arm tackles too much. Looks good in a straight line to the QB when no one is blocking him.

It seems like more and more colleges are making safties LB's and LB's DE's to combat the option and spread.
I still like Arthur Brown as a Mike or WILL. He has the speed to cover TE's, and holds up well at the point of attack (except against TA&M, and he didn't play as badly as Teo did against Bama). Brown would also give provide another nickel LB to the defense.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
VIP Member

Quote:

Khaseem Greene is a playmaker and getting better. And he's better than any LB we have besides maybe Burfict.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25428
bengals Re: So if we dont get Manti, Alec or minter...

Quote:
Does that mean Burfict moves to Mike? I think LB is a glaring need that needs to be addressed early, but the only middle backers worthy of an early pick imo are manti, alec and minter but some worry of minters coverage. I personally like minter but also dont wanna go another season losing to crossing routes to guys like Owen Daniels either. I love guys like Thomas, porter, and greene but all three are OLB's. Just curious and wanted to get others take on it...
Not really interested in any of the players mentioned.

Burfict without question should move to the middle. No brainer.

Re-sign Thomas Howard and transition him to SLB. Sign Justin Durant as an insurance policy to the Howard injury. If both are healthy then training camp battle for starting spot.

Transition Taylor Mays to WLB. Not a joke. He already has the size and strength and can run better than any LB you will find. Coverage issues for Mays come with covering WRs in open space. He has shown that he can run with and cover backs and TEs.

This would be an outstanding LB group. If Mays does not transition then Howard can move back to the weakside with Durant on the strongside. They can as well continue to develop Lamur.

In the 4th you could then draft a guy like Gerald Hodges.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Khaseem Greene is a playmaker and getting better. And he's better than any LB we have besides maybe Burfict.
First it's not hard to be better then Rey and 3 UDFA. Greene reminds me of another former high profile undersized LB with a lot of stats in college. That's Ernie Sims, he was suppose to be a stud.

He seems to get lost in the run game when a blocker gets to him and has a hard time sifting through traffic. Not a thumper like Burfict more of a speed guy.

Greene is projected in the 2nd not willing to spend a 2nd on a undersized LB. He does make plays and would make a good nickle guy and I'm sure would provide more then Rey and Rey. Would start on ST day one for sure.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
First it's not hard to be better then Rey and 3 UDFA. Greene reminds me of another former high profile undersized LB with a lot of stats in college. That's Ernie Sims, he was suppose to be a stud.

He seems to get lost in the run game when a blocker gets to him and has a hard time sifting through traffic. Not a thumper like Burfict more of a speed guy.

Greene is projected in the 2nd not willing to spend a 2nd on a undersized LB. He does make plays and would make a good nickle guy and I'm sure would provide more then Rey and Rey. Would start on ST day one for sure.
Dude he's the same size or bigger than your man Arthur brown so size has nothing to do with it. The kid is a playmaker and that's all that matters. And he's better than Brown.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dude he's the same size or bigger than your man Arthur brown so size has nothing to do with it. The kid is a playmaker and that's all that matters. And he's better than Brown.
Ok Dude, I never said anything about Brown, I don't really want Brown. Why because he is undersized and his frame is maxed out. I don't know where he would play on our D except in the Nickel.

I watched every snap Brown played this year don't know as much about Greene. Just was giving my opinion.

In the 3 rnd yes, in the second no.