Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6791
Default A Wingnut's Mock

For this I'm assuming either Andre Smith and MJ get re-signed ( or franchise tagged) along with most, but not all, of our potential FAs. Otherwise, RT and RE will need to be addressed high in the draft and at this point I prefer to think about that.

I'd also like to trade back for an additional pick just like last year. If the Bengals could completely trade out of the first round this year for a 2013 2nd and an extra 2014 1st, I'd do it. Why? Two words. Jadeveon Clowney.

1 LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia

Give me Daryl Smith in free agency to play SAM, then Burfict and Ogletree can settle who plays MIKE and WILL in training camp.

2 WR Terrance Williams, Baylor

The Bengals need a weapon opposite AJ.

2 CB David Amerson, NC State

Big, physical corner whose stock has dropped. I see him playing on the outside opposite Kirkpatrick with Hall covering the slot in nickel situations.

3 S Bacarri Rambo, Georgia

Rambo can play either safety position. In today's NFL with penalty's for hits to the head and defenseless receivers, I think you need two safeties who can cover rather than guys like former Bengal/Cowboy Roy Williams.

3 (acquired in trade) RB Kenjon Barner, Oregon

Change of Pace back and Scott's replacement.

4 OT Ricky Wagner, Wisonsin

He is similar in build to Zeitler and played both LT and RT at Wisconsin. I think he could be a Day 1 starter at LG. Let's face it, Cook signed a five year extension in 2011 and isn't going anywhere. We might as well try to give him some help in the middle.

5 RB Dennis Johnson, Arkansas

I think he would be effective in a rotation with BJGE and he can return kickoffs.

6 TE Michael Williams, Alabama

Enough of the three TE sets with Roland.

6 CB Tyrann Mathieu, formerly of LSU

Mostly for punt return duties. Redeemer + Kmart Blue Light Special = Match made in Heaven.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128
Default Re: A Wingnut's Mock

Wouldn't hate it, putting Ogletree outside of the 1st RIGHT NOW is unrealistic. With the ravens right there at 25, I don't see how they could resist. Sorry, don't see the need for a CB with the first 3 picks. And after the Fiesta Bowl, not sure if I want Barner now...

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
Wouldn't hate it, putting Ogletree outside of the 1st RIGHT NOW is unrealistic. With the ravens right there at 25, I don't see how they could resist. Sorry, don't see the need for a CB with the first 3 picks. And after the Fiesta Bowl, not sure if I want Barner now...
I think the Ravens would take Minter before Ogletree, IMO.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3274

Quote:
Because 143 yards (4.8 YPC) is terrible? You're making it sound like OP is mocking him within the first two rounds. Barner is still good value in the late third round. OP may be thinking that Barner's stock will still rise some after the combine. With his athleticism, it's very possible.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 01-11-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Not a bad mock at all. I don't love all the picks, but could be ok with the draft. I am split on Amerson. I like his ball hawking but don't like guys without a clear position that early. And would rather see Sean Porter over Barner, but that's just my defense first mindeset.

I do like the idea of trading back and like the angle of stockpiling 2014 firsts. Not for Clowney though but for Manziel!
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 01-11-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344

change dennis johnson to Michael Dyer and i love it. want n Rb that could eventually take over for BJGE.. i dont want a comp back BJGE isnt good enough to get a Comp back. Dyer all day b the end of next year hopfuly
Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
change dennis johnson to Michael Dyer and i love it. want n Rb that could eventually take over for BJGE.. i dont want a comp back BJGE isnt good enough to get a Comp back. Dyer all day b the end of next year hopfuly

get off dyers jock homie zac stacy or kerwynn williams is a better pick for us
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344
bengals Re: A Wingnut's Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
dude i love dyer....I think hes gonna be somthin in the league. I like stacy but kerwynn does nothing for me as a starting back in this league...il take him to compliment Lacy...or dyer ha
Old 01-11-2013, 06:33 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41624

Quote:
And after the Fiesta Bowl, not sure if I want Barner now...
What did Barner do in the Fiesta Bowl to turn you off? Rushed for 143 yards at almost 5 YPC and had a 27 yard TD catch.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Quote:
Agree. I just don't see the sense of pigeon-holing Leon Hall into a slot CB and shrinking his snaps from 100% to 35% (more along the lines of Pacman's 2012 snaps).
Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30061

I really don't see Williams making it out of the first round.

Solid though.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Because 143 yards (4.8 YPC) is terrible? You're making it sound like OP is mocking him within the first two rounds. Barner is still good value in the late third round. OP may be thinking that Barner's stock will still rise some after the combine. With his athleticism, it's very possible.
...I guess I missed a lot after I stopped watching it.
My bad. In the first half it seemed like he couldn't get anything going.
Clearly a different 2nd half...

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
LaMicheal James went in the second round.

I just don't see Barner available when the Bengals pick in the bottom of the 4th.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
Not a bad mock at all. I don't love all the picks, but could be ok with the draft. I am split on Amerson. I like his ball hawking but don't like guys without a clear position that early. And would rather see Sean Porter over Barner, but that's just my defense first mindeset.

I do like the idea of trading back and like the angle of stockpiling 2014 firsts. Not for Clowney though but for Manziel!
Brandon Browner, 6'4", 221 lbs, 4.63 forty

Richarad Sherman, 6'3", 195 lbs, 4.54 forty

David Amerson 6'3", 194 lbs, 4.48 forty

I see Amerson as a big, physical CB similar to Browner and Sherman who win at the line of scrimmage in press coverage, only faster. And with the added ability to transition to S if needed.

The defense (NFL rank 7th and 6th) outplayed the offense (NFL rank 20th and 22nd) two years running. The offense needs some play makers. I'm fine with a starting LBer trio of D. Smith, Burfict, and Ogletree.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I considered Kerwynn Willimas in the 6th round, but after comparing their stats vs. level of competition I'd wager Barner has a better chance of success in the NFL. And that's not a knock against Williams.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
dude i love dyer....I think hes gonna be somthin in the league. I like stacy but kerwynn does nothing for me as a starting back in this league...il take him to compliment Lacy...or dyer ha
I have a strict limit of one knuckle-headed, pot head per draft class and filled it with Tyrann Mathieu.

Dyer has been kicked off of two teams in less than one year. Plus he had to testify in court regarding his connection with an armed robbery involving four former Auburn players and friends...and some of his own drug use. You would think he would have learned from his mistakes at Auburn, but guns and drugs got him dismissed from Arkansas State, too.

Dyer is an idiot who has literally ****** his career away, e.g. failed drug tests. Mathieu is only slightly less of an idiot and the only reason I picked him was for his PR ability and Mike Brown's love of draft day bargains who slide due to character concerns. I would think Mike would have learned to shy away from these type of players after Stanley Wilson's Super Bowl meltdown, but they're like crack to him.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Agree. I just don't see the sense of pigeon-holing Leon Hall into a slot CB and shrinking his snaps from 100% to 35% (more along the lines of Pacman's 2012 snaps).
Pigeon-holing?

WTH are you talking about?

The coaches already have Leon covering the slot WR in nickel situations with Newman and Jones covering the WRs lined up on the outside. Both Newman and Jones (and Clements) are FAs. Leon's role and number of snaps would remain unchanged.

So really what I'm suggesting amounts to David Amerson starting over Jason Allen in nickel situations. With the walking wounded of Allen, Ghee, and Prater for depth. And a 2nd round CB would be much cheaper salary cap wise than Newman, Jones, or Clements. Of those three, I would only consider re-signing Jones. But with his injury history combined with Allen's, Ghee's, and Prater's injury history we still need CB depth.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
I really don't see Williams making it out of the first round.

Solid though.
You may be right. If he doesn't make it to #37, I'd take DeAndre Hopkins.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
...I guess I missed a lot after I stopped watching it.
My bad. In the first half it seemed like he couldn't get anything going.
Clearly a different 2nd half...
I'm not basing his selection in the bottom of the 3rd round upon a single half in a bowl game, but rather his entire body of work.

There are lots of RBs I like in this draft, but chose Barner because he is an explosive playmaker who compliements what the Bengals already have.

I might be convinced to go Lacy, Bernard, or Ellington in the late 2nd round, but feel Amerson is better value since you can find RBs of value later in the draft. Especially, since I think a RB like Dennis Johnson could be next year's Alfred Morris.