Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 386
Default Interesting Running Back Article

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...ks-on-the-move
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 165
Default Re: Interesting Running Back Article

To be honest, I'd rather draft a back. HBs have some of the shortest careers in tbe game due to the punishment they take. Signing a 30 year old back is like getting a 36 year old receiver.

Last edited by WhoDeySailor; 01-11-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1102

Quote:
Originally Posted by renorvis View Post
I would take MJD, gamble on Darren McFadden, or definitely be up for Chris Johnson.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1454

MJD would be fantastic, but think he'll ask for more than he's worth
Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118
bengals Re: Interesting Running Back Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeySailor View Post
To be honest, I'd rather draft a back. HBs have some of the shortest careers in tbe game due to the punishment they take. Signing a 30 year old back is like getting a 36 year old receiver.
Completely agree on this
Old 01-11-2013, 06:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 37

I like to see us pick up Mendenhall. He's only 25 I think he has some good years ahead of him.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed Champ View Post
I like to see us pick up Mendenhall. He's only 25 I think he has some good years ahead of him.
Can likely get him on the cheap as well. Personally, I'd like either Chris Ivory or Pierre Thomas, depending on who NO cuts in their misguided attempts to keep Mark Ingram as a starter. Both are better backs than Ingram, who has done little to to this point, other than a few decent games this year. They just weren't drafted high.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6663

I like Mendenhall,Tate,Ivory,MJD,Thomas, and Vareen from that list.
I should say that I could see these as possibilities.
MJD and Tate meh maybe, but any of the other three could happen.
Vareen has terrific hands and good quickness, plus he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on his body.
Thomas and Ivory run hard and Thomas has decent hands out of the backfield.
If the team were to land MJD or Tate, well that would be a good day to be a Bengal.
Mendenhall would have a personal vendetta against Pitt so that might be a good thing when Cincy plays them.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 01-12-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1210

I think Mendenhall is a major headache, who would create more friction and problems than he's worth.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1771

Quote:
Originally Posted by renorvis View Post
I would be very curious to see these reviews of the Bengals backs. It wouldn't be pretty.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 48689

All things considered I'd rather draft Lacy with our 2nd round pick we got from Oakland. This kid could be special, and seems to have all the ability we'd be looking for.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 251

Lacy really impressed me in the championship game
Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19797

I would take MJD, gamble on Darren McFadden, or definitely be up for Chris Johnson.

I agree.

By the same token, I hope the Bengals would still snag a RB is a deal fell in their laps during the draft.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post

I agree.

By the same token, I hope the Bengals would still snag a RB is a deal fell in their laps during the draft.
Someone like McFadden could be had pretty cheaply since he's so boom or bust due to his injury history, not to mention he's absolutely bad in a ZBS. Sign him for around $4-5M per, keep BGE to spell McFadden, then draft a back that has speed plus decent vision and allow him to develop for a season or two while using him as a returner in the mean time.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 696

Whoever is available should love coming here. Our OL will be improved even if Smith walks.
Wharton was our best G at the beginning of the season but didn't play a down. Now he'll have to battle with Boling and Zietler who have enormous upside. One of the most competitive battles of next seasons training camp will be at C. I expect Cook and Robinson to show improvement as they duke it out to start.. We still use a true FB. something RB love. Chris Johnson would be a huge addition if we could get him at a reasonable price but that's a pipe dream.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodabengal View Post
Lacy really impressed me in the championship game
He was impressive but I don't think he has breakaway speed. He and BJGE are too much the same. You'd be drafting him to replace BJGE and we need a supplement to a power back. Or a powerback that could take it to the house like Dillon.

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1188

first off all Mikey Brown is not going to fork out any big $$$ for anyone like C.Johnson , Jones - Drew or McFadden , so you can forget any of them . when you talk about the Bengals signing people , you have to be realistic . they dont sign top tier free agents , you guys should know that by now . they go 2nd and 3rd tier free agents . with that said the only guys i see possibly getting are ( C.Ivory - B.Tate - A.Dixon - D.Carter - D.Brown ) ... Ivory and Tate are pretty good and would probably get more money elsewhere . someone i would consider on a 1 or 2 year contract , is Micheal Turner . everyone keeps saying he's done , but i dont see that . if he shares carries with the Law Firm , he could be a good fit . but really we need a fast guy to compliment BGE . so i say they probably look for a back in the draft .
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2073

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Someone like McFadden could be had pretty cheaply since he's so boom or bust due to his injury history, not to mention he's absolutely bad in a ZBS. Sign him for around $4-5M per, keep BGE to spell McFadden, then draft a back that has speed plus decent vision and allow him to develop for a season or two while using him as a returner in the mean time.
This. If not speciffically McFadden then at least a bargain back that signs weeks before the draft to have a job in place. That allows you to not have to reach for a back or give into a trade you may not be fully sold on. I wouldn't want them to pass on a mid round back that has high potential for a low ceiling but NFL ready back.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcommish<2009> View Post
first off all Mikey Brown is not going to fork out any big $$$ for anyone like C.Johnson , Jones - Drew or McFadden , so you can forget any of them . when you talk about the Bengals signing people , you have to be realistic . they dont sign top tier free agents , you guys should know that by now . they go 2nd and 3rd tier free agents . with that said the only guys i see possibly getting are ( C.Ivory - B.Tate - A.Dixon - D.Carter - D.Brown ) ... Ivory and Tate are pretty good and would probably get more money elsewhere . someone i would consider on a 1 or 2 year contract , is Micheal Turner . everyone keeps saying he's done , but i dont see that . if he shares carries with the Law Firm , he could be a good fit . but really we need a fast guy to compliment BGE . so i say they probably look for a back in the draft .
He's never been forced to spend money before this off-season, so the days of him hoarding cap money are over. In fact, those rules were specifically put in place so owners like Mike Brown don't keep doing what you're talking about.

If we take that into account, then it's an even worse financial decision to overpay for a mediocre player than to pay top dollar to a guy who's proven his value at one point or another. Either way he's gonna have to spend.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46635

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
I would take MJD,
MJD will be 28 this year. That sounds young, but he has a lot of wear and tear on his body. He had 1084 touches the 3 seasons prior to this year and broke down in week six. There is a great study out there that shows that Eric Dickerson is about the only RB in history to average over 350 touches per year on a regular basis and not break down quickly. I doubt Jones-Drew will ever match his prevoius production.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 991

Please.....please.....please do not sign any of these bums! The only one I would even consider would be MJD! Thats it. Darren McFadden has played in like 5 games the past 30 years! No Thanks. Rashad Mendenhall? really....hell no.

Please draft someone like Lacy, or Bernard or Barner or whoever! I think we have a much better shot at drafting some talent then wasting money on those losers. Especially when you think about how else that money could be used a la MJ, Andre, AD, AJ extensions. Draft someone!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2324

Quote:
It's just crazy it's a passing league now and the life of a rb got shorter. Yet when most of the NFL was ground game the rbs lasted forever
Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Running backs no longer have leverage as far as contracts are concerned. You can get a real good proven back for fractions of what they once demanded.
The only one on the list I wouldn't want is McCluster.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6663

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
MJD will be 28 this year. That sounds young, but he has a lot of wear and tear on his body. He had 1084 touches the 3 seasons prior to this year and broke down in week six. There is a great study out there that shows that Eric Dickerson is about the only RB in history to average over 350 touches per year on a regular basis and not break down quickly. I doubt Jones-Drew will ever match his prevoius production.
Very true but he has had an entire year off to heal and recharge his batteries. I think he has another good 3-4 years left. I don't see him ending up in Cincy under any circumstances. Though it would be a step up from Jax.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcommish<2009> View Post
This is what I was thinking as well.I didn't see Bush on the list but IMO Mike isn't going to pay two running backs, and Bush knows he can sign for a good amount. Bush made 5 million last year.

BJGE gives a building block, Boom can take over the ST role. If Lacy is there they have to think hard about him. Then maybe T.Riddick later.

If we get a "speed back" he needs to return kicks as well, IMO.
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown