Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5980
Default So I'm the only one who doesn't feel that drafting an RB is necessary?

I mean, sure the offense needs help, but I'd draft line, WRs, TE, or even a project QB before I would worry about an RB. Fix the offense line and give them depth and BJGE will rush for 1500 yards next year. Let's not forget he was the most effective weapon on the offense during our playoff game this year.

Furthermore, we do have obvious defensive needs at linebacker and somewhat at DE. Plenty of spots to draft before spending a pick on an RB who will basically give us what BJGE and our other two RBs already do.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632
Default Re: So I'm the only one who doesn't feel that drafting an RB is necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
I mean, sure the offense needs help, but I'd draft line, WRs, TE, or even a project QB before I would worry about an RB. Fix the offense line and give them depth and BJGE will rush for 1500 yards next year. Let's not forget he was the most effective weapon on the offense during our playoff game this year.

Furthermore, we do have obvious defensive needs at linebacker and somewhat at DE. Plenty of spots to draft before spending a pick on an RB who will basically give us what BJGE and our other two RBs already do.
All of our RB's are AVERAGE at the very least. That's not good in the NFL. B Scott will probably not be back, Gruden never spoke highly of Peerman I think he's gone and Leonard has not done much either( oh BTW all of these are FA's. SO yeah it's pretty IMPORTANT we draft some RB's.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344
Default Re: So I'm the only one who doesn't feel that drafting an RB is necessary?

dude...god no. BJGE was the product of an already effective and very stout run blocking offensive line. BJGE just had his best season. he wont repeat and his slippery slope starts now. there was not 1 team that came into games against us worried about BJGE. It was STOP AJ. with the way sanu showed promise along with marvin oppo of aj and then u throw in Lacy...shoot that opposing defense is gonna have a real problem. Numerous runs of the law firm would/could of been 6 if there was an elite or potential elite back in our backfield. If we want more big plays and TD's outside of the dalton/green combination we draft a running back EARLY. Lacy should be our #1 pick. he will be a first rounder IMO. David Wilson was and Lacy poops on D.wilson.
i pray ur the only one set on the law firm as our back..
Old 01-11-2013, 04:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3568

Totally disagree. BJGE is good but he is a reason why our run game isnt explosive. Like that 29 yarder he got against against HOU, if he had ANY speed or ANY moves AT ALL we may take that for a TD. We only played ourselves this offeason when we went cheap and signed BJGE. And I knew it would happen. Did we have ANY BJGE runs over 50 yards?

Its really hard for a QB on offense when the other team doesnt have to respect your run game

Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

I think the Bengals signed BJGE as a cheap stopgap until they could draft some good RB's. BJGE is still serviceable but not just as a starter in the NFL IMO.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

I'm really not sure why they wouldn't draft a quality RB to grow with the offense. I always thought Boom Herron should have got more of a shot and maybe we wouldnt be having this conversation. The chances he did get anybody could see the speed difference. They really should've drafted Doug Martin or David Wilson last year but oh well.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlesmiley View Post
I'm really not sure why they wouldn't draft a quality RB to grow with the offense. I always thought Boom Herron should have got more of a shot and maybe we wouldnt be having this conversation. The chances he did get anybody could see the speed difference.
Maybe so but I think Boom is nothing special. If he couldn't get any playing time with the RB's we had that's pretty sad to be honest.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:08 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Maybe so but I think Boom is nothing special. If he couldn't get any playing time with the RB's we had that's pretty sad to be honest.
I think its more the coaching staff. Just look how long it took Marvin to play the young defensive lineman together.(Fisher Price Package) It was like pulling teeth when that gave us the best results at the time. Thats one of the things I don't care for about our HC. Another example is Devin Still when he got a chance I thought he played well. I'm not sure whether he was hurt or not but after early on I didn't see anymore from him. The examples go on and on over Marvins tenure here and I understand the practice part that he mentions so much but hey what can you do.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5980

Answer: Yes I'm the only one.

That's OK. Still, if it were up to me I'd definitely go with BJGE, Peerman, and Boom. I'd want the latter two to be active for every game just for what they give us on specifal teams, but yeah I get that no one agrees with me.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I think its more the coaching staff. Just look how long it took Marvin to play the young defensive lineman together.(Fisher Price Package) It was like pulling teeth when that gave us the best results at the time. Thats one of the things I don't care for about our HC. Another example is Devin Still when he got a chance I thought he played well. I'm not sure whether he was hurt or not but after early on I didn't see anymore from him. The examples go on and on over Marvins tenure here and I understand the practice part that he mentions so much but hey what can you do.
Well on Still whose spot is he gonna take? Not Peko, DEFINITELY not Geno, and DEFINITELY not Sims. Hes just a case of depth casuality. We used to have that at WR a while back. ALso facot in Gethers played a good amount of DT this year. If we let Rob and Sims walk STill will get his chance

Old 01-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

bengals Re: So I'm the only one who doesn't feel that drafting an RB is necessary?

Quote:

That's OK. Still, if it were up to me I'd definitely go with BJGE, Peerman, and Boom. I'd want the latter two to be active for every game just for what they give us on specifal teams, but yeah I get that no one agrees with me.
boom coulnt even get PT with BJGE and Peerman infront of him, i think someone already said this but that is pathetic. Need a new running back. BJGE was a band aid he did heal anything.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Well on Still whose spot is he gonna take? Not Peko, DEFINITELY not Geno, and DEFINITELY not Sims. Hes just a case of depth casuality. We used to have that at WR a while back. ALso facot in Gethers played a good amount of DT this year. If we let Rob and Sims walk STill will get his chance
please let peko walk... i could move him around.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

Im not tryna get confrontatioal, im saying this to get a straight answer not to have an argument.

What I got from that statement is basically if it were up to you youd be happy with a average at best, LITERALLY NEVER explosive running attack.

Why in gods name would you wanna run with BJGE, Leonard, and Boom again? This year would literally be repeated next year and probably wed do worse because our schedule is harder.

What I just saw was youre happy with mediocracy. Because yes in todays NFL with all these athletes and total monsters at RB, running with BJGE, Brian, and Boom is TOTALLY MEDIOCRE

Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Im not tryna get confrontatioal, im saying this to get a straight answer not to have an argument.

What I got from that statement is basically if it were up to you youd be happy with a average at best, LITERALLY NEVER explosive running attack.

Why in gods name would you wanna run with BJGE, Leonard, and Boom again? This year would literally be repeated next year and probably wed do worse because our schedule is harder.

What I just saw was youre happy with mediocracy. Because yes in todays NFL with all these athletes and total monsters at RB, running with BJGE, Brian, and Boom is TOTALLY MEDIOCRE
My only point is that if Boom got a GOOD shot at getting some quality snaps then you would see that he was at least a 600yrd back this year sharing the load. Thats all I will say. Where are all the BOOM FANS! LOL.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
please let peko walk... i could move him around.
I thought this was one of Peko's better years he really made plays and got some good push upfront. He still has a couple good years left but maybe he can eventually go into Simms role so the young guys can show it.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My only point is that if Boom got a GOOD shot at getting some quality snaps then you would see that he was at least a 600yrd back this year sharing the load. Thats all I will say. Where are all the BOOM FANS! LOL.
dude. no. booms fans...stay in ur holes. I am not even opposed to completely cleaning house with our rb situation. they all are mediocre
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Obviously he didn't show enough to warrant any time.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3438

I'm going to ignore the talent debate, because IMO we can get 'better'. But looking at it from a contract situation, we aren't really in that great of shape and could use one anyway.

Benjarvus Green Ellis...signed thru 2015
Dan Herron...signed thru 2016

Brian Leonard..FA
Bernard Scott..FA
Cedric Peerman...Restricted FA

Even if we sign Peerman, we should add another, whether it be for talent or roster depth.

Very much agree with you though that we have an obvious need at LB and DE is a need also.

Last edited by goalpost; 01-11-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1340

Quote:

Pretty much, you're in the minority. Peerman and Leonard are replacement-level talents. Herron is a PS guy. GJGE is a plodder. Bernard Scott can't stay healthy. The RB position has to be addressed via FA or the draft, or both. It'd be nice if the Bengals could somehow acquire Michael Smith from the Bucs, the guy they should've drafted instead of Herron. Once the Bucs put out Blount, Smith will be the lightning to the Muscle Hamster's thunder.

Last edited by t3r3e3; 01-11-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

We have a collection of backup RBs and situational players. We don't have a single guy on the roster who is a complete every-down starting caliber RB.

Yes, we need to somehow acquire a top notch RB.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

So you are OK with having the worst run game in the NFL if BJGE happens to get banged up? Considering HBs get injured more than just about anybody in the NFL I think it would be very risky staying status quo.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2917

You have to think that Marv and the FO is waiting to pounce on Lacy. That is the everydown guy they are craving.

One thing good about Boom is he showed he can play ST's and that is good. He can be that 3rd/4th back that we never see on O. I'm almost for drafting two backs, Lacy and maybe Barner. BJGE, Lacy, Barner. I'll take it.

The motto for this offseason should be "builds the running game cause we cant's throw it."

1st - Vaccaro FS
2nd - Lacy RB
2nd - Fredrick C
3rd - J.Collins LB,
4th - Barner RB/KR

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37705

Quote:

Ellis is not good enough, he played decent but that's the best he's gonna be. If we had a truly dynamic top tier RB, the offense would really take off.

You add a RB good enough to force teams to stack the box with AJ on the outside...fuhgetaboutit. We need balance, I don't think Dalton is the kind of QB and I don't think Gruden is the kind of OC that we can just go out and chuck the ball all over the yard.

If Aaron Rodgers is your QB or Sean Payton is running your offense then you can pull that off. Most teams best bet for high level performance on offense is via being balanced and the Bengals are def one of those teams.....We need an upgrade at RB to achieve that.
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.

The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19260

The Law Firm is a quality back but he's just not the homerun threat that I think we want.

Yes, it's good to have a back that can be consistant, especially in our division, but, with the way the NFL has changed, we need a back that's also a threat to break a big play.

The big play threat is also big for the WCO because the pass keeps them out of the box and then you need someone that can make things happen when they get into space.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23828

I'm not sure that BJGE, Peerman, Boom, and Leonard are a quality stable of RBs for a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

There are guys coming out in the draft with far more upside than any of the guys currently on our roster. Mark my words, we signed those FA WRs at the end of the season for a reason. We're going to be looking for a stronger #2 WR, and we'd rather not use a draft pick on one. We're going after the best RB available.