Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 35
bengals Trade Gresham

Trade Gresham, the big girl to the Packers for their 1st rd pick. I like Orson Charles better. Sign FA TE Dustin Keller and draft Kelce. Would be an upgrade.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRuck View Post
Trade Gresham, the big girl to the Packers for their 1st rd pick. I like Orson Charles better. Sign FA TE Dustin Keller and draft Kelce. Would be an upgrade.

Agreed. I doubt we get a 1st for him though. & the Keller pickup would be a huge upgrade.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 121

how about keep greshem, sign dustin and let orson develop behind them and if he gets traded to packers he will be a beast with rodgers and plus we play them next season
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Are you guys trying to be idiots or are you just really dumb?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24364

Gresham had a couple of awful games. It happens. He'll get better. They all will...except for Rey.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Yeah, considering this entire board is blowing up about little offensive production, let's just trade away a 2X pro bowl TE for what most of you say, a 3rd rounder.

But no, that makes perfect sense.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 349

Things just get dumb around here...
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7906

Quote:
The Packers have Jermichael Finley who dropped more passes than Gresh BTW, but they still wouldn't trade for Gresh when they just gave Finley a new deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Agreed. I doubt we get a 1st for him though. & the Keller pickup would be a huge upgrade.
Not even close. He's coming off an injury plagued year plus he turns 29 in September. Gresham is 24, coming off of his best season and his career catch rate is 63.9% vs Keller's which is 58.4%. Keller would be a huge downgrade.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4119

Quote:
So the packers would trade to get a guy who's not quite as good as a guy they could get in free agency, without giving up a draft pick?

Am I reading this right?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2980

Quote:
I like your idea, but I'm guessing that a second maybe is the highest they could get. Which I would take. If Gresh is going to play TE we need to stop asking him to do things he can't, like block. Last year was his third year, he made some big catches, and he is being more productive each year.

However, in the last five games he had 0 TD's and went over 43 yards once. Part of this is Andy, play calling, and Gresh dropping the ball. Look at V.Davis in SF, his production has really dropped because of the QB change and playcalling.

But he can still block very well and is an asset in the run game. Gresh just is not and will never be.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1546

I am always amazed at the marketing pitch in the "Trade" posts.

Why would ANY team want to trade for a player that is advertised as "the big girl"?

It takes two to trade and just because we want to get rid of a player (as fans and/or team) doesn't mean there are any trade partners, particularly, if the object of the trade is presented as "inferior".
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30406

Really?

A 24 year old 3rd year TE who has gone to 2 Pro Bowls, on the strength of coach/player voting rather than fans, and you want to get rid of him?

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrianpine View Post
I am always amazed at the marketing pitch in the "Trade" posts.

Why would ANY team want to trade for a player that is advertised as "the big girl"?

It takes two to trade and just because we want to get rid of a player (as fans and/or team) doesn't mean there are any trade partners, particularly, if the object of the trade is presented as "inferior".
The Carson trade seems to be working out. Do the Raiders need a TE!

We also traded Rivers and got Marvin Jones in the draft.

Me want more trades.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 719

Gresham worth a first round pick??? The Packers already have an underachieving, frustrating TE. Why would they want another?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 48605

No need to trade Gresham. Just send him to a sports psychologist to get him to focus on the routine catches, as well as he does the fantastic ones.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24003

Instead of trading Gresham, why not simply use him towards his strengths, receiving, instead of playing towards his weakness, blocking?

I made a post previously addressing all of the TE's with an inferior catch percentage compared to Jermaine, so why trade him when the elite are worse receivers? The difference is in how the OC utilizes the TE position, which Gruden is terrible at. Consider Orson Charles, who is a solid blocker and has excellent hands, but the Bengals rarely used any 2 TE sets. Doesn't make sense.

What does make sense is drafting a pure run blocking TE, as many have mocked for the Bengals. Put him in when the Bengals are grinding out games, or in short yardage situations. Trading Gresham is basically giving up on the idea of using a receiving TE in the offense and going back to the days of Reggie Kelly.

Pass on that one.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
No need to trade Gresham. Just send him to a sports psychologist to get him to focus on the routine catches, as well as he does the fantastic ones.
Should I just sent a bottle to PB stadium?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4194

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
The Carson trade seems to be working out. Do the Raiders need a TE!

We also traded Rivers and got Marvin Jones in the draft.

Me want more trades.
True, but no one will trade much of a pick for a player entering the final year of his deal. In other words, they won't give much for a player they may lose in FA the next year.

I am REALLY disappointed in Gresham, and his performance in the playoff game was pathetic. But I am not ready to give up a player we used a 1st round pick on this early. I would coach him the way Bellichek would (and, no, I'm not beins sarcastic) by making him EARN his touches. He would have to do some spectacular blocking and run his routes with more purpose before I would give him any targets. Also, I would give Charles more opportunities to distinguish himself...I mean, he was a rookie 4th rounder and he had ONE drop all season. True, he was only targeted 12 times, but he has earned more opportunities and could push Gresh to become the TE they need. I think TJ was a part of what made Chad so good. The talk of TJ being the "real #1" on the Bengals fueled Chad's desire.

The Bengals also will have a number of outstanding options at TE available in the middle rounds of this year's draft. Just like WR, you need more than two options. A third TE that could rotate in on two TE sets and spell Gresh and Charles would only make this offense more impressive. I was really disappointed they held on to Quinn, who never really saw the field this year, a la Jason Allen.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post
True, but no one will trade much of a pick for a player entering the final year of his deal. In other words, they won't give much for a player they may lose in FA the next year.

I am REALLY disappointed in Gresham, and his performance in the playoff game was pathetic. But I am not ready to give up a player we used a 1st round pick on this early. I would coach him the way Bellichek would (and, no, I'm not beins sarcastic) by making him EARN his touches. He would have to do some spectacular blocking and run his routes with more purpose before I would give him any targets. Also, I would give Charles more opportunities to distinguish himself...I mean, he was a rookie 4th rounder and he had ONE drop all season. True, he was only targeted 12 times, but he has earned more opportunities and could push Gresh to become the TE they need. I think TJ was a part of what made Chad so good. The talk of TJ being the "real #1" on the Bengals fueled Chad's desire.

The Bengals also will have a number of outstanding options at TE available in the middle rounds of this year's draft. Just like WR, you need more than two options. A third TE that could rotate in on two TE sets and spell Gresh and Charles would only make this offense more impressive. I was really disappointed they held on to Quinn, who never really saw the field this year, a la Jason Allen.
He may never get on the field! LOL.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Really?

A 24 year old 3rd year TE who has gone to 2 Pro Bowls, on the strength of coach/player voting rather than fans, and you want to get rid of him?
Well to be fair he is a 2x Pro Bowler because others couldn't attend.

Be I agree, OP is misguided.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11426

Yes, Gresham has had some drops, and played very poorly in the playoff game, but that is no reason to ship him off now.
Let's be honest, when is the last time any other Bengals TE was even CONSIDERED for the pro-bowl?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The Packers have Jermichael Finley who dropped more passes than Gresh BTW, but they still wouldn't trade for Gresh when they just gave Finley a new deal.

Not even close. He's coming off an injury plagued year plus he turns 29 in September. Gresham is 24, coming off of his best season and his career catch rate is 63.9% vs Keller's which is 58.4%. Keller would be a huge downgrade.
Hey hey hey...you know better than to use facts and statistics in making your argument. Geez, read the memo on blind, ridiculous ideas after bad games...the nerve of some people on here...facts...spit!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I like your idea, but I'm guessing that a second maybe is the highest they could get. Which I would take. If Gresh is going to play TE we need to stop asking him to do things he can't, like block. Last year was his third year, he made some big catches, and he is being more productive each year.

However, in the last five games he had 0 TD's and went over 43 yards once. Part of this is Andy, play calling, and Gresh dropping the ball. Look at V.Davis in SF, his production has really dropped because of the QB change and playcalling.

But he can still block very well and is an asset in the run game. Gresh just is not and will never be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTWhoDey View Post
Hey hey hey...you know better than to use facts and statistics in making your argument. Geez, read the memo on blind, ridiculous ideas after bad games...the nerve of some people on here...facts...spit!

If he were a factor in our dominate run game it would be different.

When we needed our "Pro Bowl" TE he vanished. Fact Period.

I know we could do worse, this is the team that started Dan Coats, but maybe we could do better or get a player who better fits what this team wants to do.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25290
bengals Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
If we are signing a FA TE then give me Martellus Bennett. Then Jake Stoneburner in the 6th.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBengalsFan View Post
Things just get dumb around here...

Yup

Trust canít live in the same space as secrets and lies.