Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 AM
DocRuck DocRuck is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 26
Rep Points: 35
bengals Trade Gresham

Trade Gresham, the big girl to the Packers for their 1st rd pick. I like Orson Charles better. Sign FA TE Dustin Keller and draft Kelce. Would be an upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 AM
Bengal4ever68's Avatar
Bengal4ever68 Bengal4ever68 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,401
Rep Points: 1225
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRuck View Post
Trade Gresham, the big girl to the Packers for their 1st rd pick. I like Orson Charles better. Sign FA TE Dustin Keller and draft Kelce. Would be an upgrade.

Agreed. I doubt we get a 1st for him though. & the Keller pickup would be a huge upgrade.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:59 AM
daltongreen12 daltongreen12 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 118
Rep Points: 121
Default Re: Trade Gresham

how about keep greshem, sign dustin and let orson develop behind them and if he gets traded to packers he will be a beast with rodgers and plus we play them next season
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Bull Durham Bull Durham is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 775
Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Are you guys trying to be idiots or are you just really dumb?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,296
Rep Points: 24364
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Gresham had a couple of awful games. It happens. He'll get better. They all will...except for Rey.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Natikid873's Avatar
Natikid873 Natikid873 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Queen City
Posts: 1,112
Rep Points: 1128
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Yeah, considering this entire board is blowing up about little offensive production, let's just trade away a 2X pro bowl TE for what most of you say, a 3rd rounder.

But no, that makes perfect sense.
__________________

CINwillWIN is the man
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 AM
RCBengalsFan RCBengalsFan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 230
Rep Points: 349
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Things just get dumb around here...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 AM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,300
Rep Points: 7906
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRuck View Post
Trade Gresham, the big girl to the Packers for their 1st rd pick. I like Orson Charles better. Sign FA TE Dustin Keller and draft Kelce. Would be an upgrade.
The Packers have Jermichael Finley who dropped more passes than Gresh BTW, but they still wouldn't trade for Gresh when they just gave Finley a new deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Agreed. I doubt we get a 1st for him though. & the Keller pickup would be a huge upgrade.
Not even close. He's coming off an injury plagued year plus he turns 29 in September. Gresham is 24, coming off of his best season and his career catch rate is 63.9% vs Keller's which is 58.4%. Keller would be a huge downgrade.
__________________

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 AM
TGISunday's Avatar
TGISunday TGISunday is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,679
Rep Points: 4119
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRuck View Post
Trade Gresham, the big girl to the Packers for their 1st rd pick. I like Orson Charles better. Sign FA TE Dustin Keller and draft Kelce. Would be an upgrade.
So the packers would trade to get a guy who's not quite as good as a guy they could get in free agency, without giving up a draft pick?

Am I reading this right?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,122
Rep Points: 2980
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRuck View Post
Trade Gresham, the big girl to the Packers for their 1st rd pick. I like Orson Charles better. Sign FA TE Dustin Keller and draft Kelce. Would be an upgrade.
I like your idea, but I'm guessing that a second maybe is the highest they could get. Which I would take. If Gresh is going to play TE we need to stop asking him to do things he can't, like block. Last year was his third year, he made some big catches, and he is being more productive each year.

However, in the last five games he had 0 TD's and went over 43 yards once. Part of this is Andy, play calling, and Gresh dropping the ball. Look at V.Davis in SF, his production has really dropped because of the QB change and playcalling.

But he can still block very well and is an asset in the run game. Gresh just is not and will never be.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM
austrianpine austrianpine is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: kettering, oh
Posts: 1,576
Rep Points: 1546
Default Re: Trade Gresham

I am always amazed at the marketing pitch in the "Trade" posts.

Why would ANY team want to trade for a player that is advertised as "the big girl"?

It takes two to trade and just because we want to get rid of a player (as fans and/or team) doesn't mean there are any trade partners, particularly, if the object of the trade is presented as "inferior".
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Jasonew6's Avatar
Jasonew6 Jasonew6 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,926
Rep Points: 30406
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Really?

A 24 year old 3rd year TE who has gone to 2 Pro Bowls, on the strength of coach/player voting rather than fans, and you want to get rid of him?
__________________

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,122
Rep Points: 2980
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrianpine View Post
I am always amazed at the marketing pitch in the "Trade" posts.

Why would ANY team want to trade for a player that is advertised as "the big girl"?

It takes two to trade and just because we want to get rid of a player (as fans and/or team) doesn't mean there are any trade partners, particularly, if the object of the trade is presented as "inferior".
The Carson trade seems to be working out. Do the Raiders need a TE!

We also traded Rivers and got Marvin Jones in the draft.

Me want more trades.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 AM
This is our year's Avatar
This is our year This is our year is online now
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 975
Rep Points: 719
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Gresham worth a first round pick??? The Packers already have an underachieving, frustrating TE. Why would they want another?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 16,009
Rep Points: 48605
Default Re: Trade Gresham

No need to trade Gresham. Just send him to a sports psychologist to get him to focus on the routine catches, as well as he does the fantastic ones.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 AM
BengalRugby's Avatar
BengalRugby BengalRugby is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Living in your head
Posts: 11,946
Rep Points: 24003
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Instead of trading Gresham, why not simply use him towards his strengths, receiving, instead of playing towards his weakness, blocking?


I made a post previously addressing all of the TE's with an inferior catch percentage compared to Jermaine, so why trade him when the elite are worse receivers? The difference is in how the OC utilizes the TE position, which Gruden is terrible at. Consider Orson Charles, who is a solid blocker and has excellent hands, but the Bengals rarely used any 2 TE sets. Doesn't make sense.


What does make sense is drafting a pure run blocking TE, as many have mocked for the Bengals. Put him in when the Bengals are grinding out games, or in short yardage situations. Trading Gresham is basically giving up on the idea of using a receiving TE in the offense and going back to the days of Reggie Kelly.


Pass on that one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,122
Rep Points: 2980
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
No need to trade Gresham. Just send him to a sports psychologist to get him to focus on the routine catches, as well as he does the fantastic ones.
Should I just sent a bottle to PB stadium?
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 AM
SHRacerX's Avatar
SHRacerX SHRacerX is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,785
Rep Points: 4194
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
The Carson trade seems to be working out. Do the Raiders need a TE!

We also traded Rivers and got Marvin Jones in the draft.

Me want more trades.
True, but no one will trade much of a pick for a player entering the final year of his deal. In other words, they won't give much for a player they may lose in FA the next year.

I am REALLY disappointed in Gresham, and his performance in the playoff game was pathetic. But I am not ready to give up a player we used a 1st round pick on this early. I would coach him the way Bellichek would (and, no, I'm not beins sarcastic) by making him EARN his touches. He would have to do some spectacular blocking and run his routes with more purpose before I would give him any targets. Also, I would give Charles more opportunities to distinguish himself...I mean, he was a rookie 4th rounder and he had ONE drop all season. True, he was only targeted 12 times, but he has earned more opportunities and could push Gresh to become the TE they need. I think TJ was a part of what made Chad so good. The talk of TJ being the "real #1" on the Bengals fueled Chad's desire.

The Bengals also will have a number of outstanding options at TE available in the middle rounds of this year's draft. Just like WR, you need more than two options. A third TE that could rotate in on two TE sets and spell Gresh and Charles would only make this offense more impressive. I was really disappointed they held on to Quinn, who never really saw the field this year, a la Jason Allen.
__________________
The year we have been waiting for: 2014 Bengals
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,122
Rep Points: 2980
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post
True, but no one will trade much of a pick for a player entering the final year of his deal. In other words, they won't give much for a player they may lose in FA the next year.

I am REALLY disappointed in Gresham, and his performance in the playoff game was pathetic. But I am not ready to give up a player we used a 1st round pick on this early. I would coach him the way Bellichek would (and, no, I'm not beins sarcastic) by making him EARN his touches. He would have to do some spectacular blocking and run his routes with more purpose before I would give him any targets. Also, I would give Charles more opportunities to distinguish himself...I mean, he was a rookie 4th rounder and he had ONE drop all season. True, he was only targeted 12 times, but he has earned more opportunities and could push Gresh to become the TE they need. I think TJ was a part of what made Chad so good. The talk of TJ being the "real #1" on the Bengals fueled Chad's desire.

The Bengals also will have a number of outstanding options at TE available in the middle rounds of this year's draft. Just like WR, you need more than two options. A third TE that could rotate in on two TE sets and spell Gresh and Charles would only make this offense more impressive. I was really disappointed they held on to Quinn, who never really saw the field this year, a la Jason Allen.
He may never get on the field! LOL.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM
bfine32's Avatar
bfine32 bfine32 is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Radcliff, KY
Posts: 23,008
Rep Points: 42869
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Really?

A 24 year old 3rd year TE who has gone to 2 Pro Bowls, on the strength of coach/player voting rather than fans, and you want to get rid of him?
Well to be fair he is a 2x Pro Bowler because others couldn't attend.


Be I agree, OP is misguided.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Bengalrocker's Avatar
Bengalrocker Bengalrocker is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: OSU
Posts: 8,571
Rep Points: 11426
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Yes, Gresham has had some drops, and played very poorly in the playoff game, but that is no reason to ship him off now.
Let's be honest, when is the last time any other Bengals TE was even CONSIDERED for the pro-bowl?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
CLTWhoDey's Avatar
CLTWhoDey CLTWhoDey is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 369
Rep Points: 468
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The Packers have Jermichael Finley who dropped more passes than Gresh BTW, but they still wouldn't trade for Gresh when they just gave Finley a new deal.


Not even close. He's coming off an injury plagued year plus he turns 29 in September. Gresham is 24, coming off of his best season and his career catch rate is 63.9% vs Keller's which is 58.4%. Keller would be a huge downgrade.
Hey hey hey...you know better than to use facts and statistics in making your argument. Geez, read the memo on blind, ridiculous ideas after bad games...the nerve of some people on here...facts...spit!

__________________
Big Red and Green Machine!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-12-2013, 02:10 PM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,122
Rep Points: 2980
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I like your idea, but I'm guessing that a second maybe is the highest they could get. Which I would take. If Gresh is going to play TE we need to stop asking him to do things he can't, like block. Last year was his third year, he made some big catches, and he is being more productive each year.

However, in the last five games he had 0 TD's and went over 43 yards once. Part of this is Andy, play calling, and Gresh dropping the ball. Look at V.Davis in SF, his production has really dropped because of the QB change and playcalling.

But he can still block very well and is an asset in the run game. Gresh just is not and will never be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTWhoDey View Post
Hey hey hey...you know better than to use facts and statistics in making your argument. Geez, read the memo on blind, ridiculous ideas after bad games...the nerve of some people on here...facts...spit!

If he were a factor in our dominate run game it would be different.

When we needed our "Pro Bowl" TE he vanished. Fact Period.

I know we could do worse, this is the team that started Dan Coats, but maybe we could do better or get a player who better fits what this team wants to do.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,752
Rep Points: 25290
bengals Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRuck View Post
Trade Gresham, the big girl to the Packers for their 1st rd pick. I like Orson Charles better. Sign FA TE Dustin Keller and draft Kelce. Would be an upgrade.
If we are signing a FA TE then give me Martellus Bennett. Then Jake Stoneburner in the 6th.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM
StLucieBengal's Avatar
StLucieBengal StLucieBengal is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 891
Rep Points: 1111
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBengalsFan View Post
Things just get dumb around here...

Yup
__________________


Trust canít live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.