Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5268
Default Re: Interesting Running Back Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeySailor View Post
To be honest, I'd rather draft a back. HBs have some of the shortest careers in tbe game due to the punishment they take. Signing a 30 year old back is like getting a 36 year old receiver.
I agree and I would rather have the big money spent on the OL than on a RB so the draft is the way I would go for sure.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:00 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since82 View Post
He was impressive but I don't think he has breakaway speed. He and BJGE are too much the same. You'd be drafting him to replace BJGE and we need a supplement to a power back. Or a powerback that could take it to the house like Dillon.
Exactly - The Law firm is great in short yardage and his durability was pretty good. We need a guy that can take it to the house, can catch it and make people miss.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10669

Give me Ben Tate.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-12-2013, 04:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25271
bengals Re: Interesting Running Back Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeySailor View Post
To be honest, I'd rather draft a back. HBs have some of the shortest careers in tbe game due to the punishment they take. Signing a 30 year old back is like getting a 36 year old receiver.
Amen!

Give me Randle or Gilleslee. They can carry the ball 15 to 20 times a game with Ellis in relief. As well, both are sound at picking up the blitz and have excellent hands out of the backfield.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 53862

I don't want a "change of pace" type back to compliment BJGE. I want a three down type back that has more speed then Benny. They can still split carries, but I want a good do-it-all type back. I don't want the opponent to be able stack the defense based on if we have our "inside" RB or our "outside" RB in the game. We should be able to get a guy like that with one of our second round picks.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1501

nobody has mentioned this guy yet , recently cut by the Steelers ( B.Rainey ) his g/f came out today and said he didnt assault her . yeah right . i dont know he is a speed guy and mike and marvin beleive in 2nd chances
Old 01-12-2013, 05:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1501

woops sorry , Chris Rainey .... lol
Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotweales View Post
Exactly - The Law firm is great in short yardage and his durability was pretty good. We need a guy that can take it to the house, can catch it and make people miss.

BJGE - 5'11" 215lb 4.6s
Bernard Scott - 5'10" 198lb 4.44s
Eddie Lacy - 5'10" 220lb 4.44s
Kenjon Barner - 5'11" 192lb 4.39s

We need a guy that makes a decision and goes. Lacy's decision making and burst was really impressive to me, and when he weighs in at the combine at 230 and runs a 4.40, he will jump into the first round. Barner is a speed guy that hasn't been asked to break a tackle, that worries me. I think a safe 3 down guy is Montee Ball with our second pick in the 2nd round.

I like the way Chris Ivory runs, its like a Marshawn Lynch style. An interesting guy for me is Michael Smith, who's buried on the TB Depth chart (for now). Fast, compact, runs with power like MJD. He isn't a free agent, but a former 7th rounder could find himself out of a job. Alex Green in GB could be out and he's a nice combination of speed and power, but hasn't proven durable or explosive at this level.

Check out T.U.G.G.
Alternareggae Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddypiper View Post
trevor laws was the next tim krumrie

Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 154

McFadden at a descent price; lacy in the draft. Mjd has a lot of miles and turner is at his end

1st Round- BPA that falls ie. Warmack(long shot) or one of the top DE of OT, starting to like Rhodes, CB, FSU
2A Round- Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama
2B Round- Eddie Lacy, RB, USC
3rd Round- Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
4th Round- Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma
5th Round- Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
6th Round-
7th Round-
Free Agent- Dominique Rogers Cromartie CB
Paul Kruger OLB
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4724

Ben Tate?? hmmm...
Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 338

i still want us to draft a running back, i personally like 3 guys right now Giovanni Bernard, Joseph Randle, and Andre Ellington.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9474

Looks like my boy Vareen showed some of his untapped skillz today...
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM

Rep Points: 0

I keep seeing the name Darren McFadden popping up and while his stats are good, career 4.3 yards per carry and 9.2 yards per catch, the guy can't stay healthy. In his 5 years in the NFL he's never played more than 13 games in a season and in his last 2 seasons he's played 19 out of a possible 32 games. The talent is there...but so are the injuries.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st and Ten View Post
I keep seeing the name Darren McFadden popping up and while his stats are good, career 4.3 yards per carry and 9.2 yards per catch, the guy can't stay healthy. In his 5 years in the NFL he's never played more than 13 games in a season and in his last 2 seasons he's played 19 out of a possible 32 games. The talent is there...but so are the injuries.
That's why you give him 10-15 carries a game and keep a decent all-around back-up for relief.
If we could get him for less than $5million per I think it's worth the risk. Just make his contract is incentive-laced.

Last edited by shaolinghost; 01-14-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since82 View Post
He was impressive but I don't think he has breakaway speed. He and BJGE are too much the same. You'd be drafting him to replace BJGE and we need a supplement to a power back. Or a powerback that could take it to the house like Dillon.

Lacy would leave BJGE in the dust. Lacy runs a 4.40 and BJGE ran a 4.60. Lacy has the speed to get to the next level and ran past the safeties and they are not the same back at all. BJGE is a north to south runner with little agility, Lacy can do the same but is a great cut and run guy that can make defenders look silly. He reminds me most of Arian Foster.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 116

I'd love us to draft 2 RBs this year i want Either Lacy or Ball and also i think in the 5th round we should take a gamble on Lattimore, I know the injury was a bad one but he came back once he can do it again and a 5th rounder is a gamble to be any good any way.

You could then end up with 3 backs that would be very serviceable (one of which we trade away down the line)
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36197

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
I like Mendenhall,Tate,Ivory,MJD,Thomas, and Vareen from that list.
I should say that I could see these as possibilities.
MJD and Tate meh maybe, but any of the other three could happen.
Vareen has terrific hands and good quickness, plus he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on his body.
Thomas and Ivory run hard and Thomas has decent hands out of the backfield.
If the team were to land MJD or Tate, well that would be a good day to be a Bengal.
Mendenhall would have a personal vendetta against Pitt so that might be a good thing when Cincy plays them.
Ivory is a Restricted so Will cost a pick if they match.

Thoms though
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunz View Post
Lacy would leave BJGE in the dust. Lacy runs a 4.40 and BJGE ran a 4.60. Lacy has the speed to get to the next level and ran past the safeties and they are not the same back at all. BJGE is a north to south runner with little agility, Lacy can do the same but is a great cut and run guy that can make defenders look silly. He reminds me most of Arian Foster.
I'll bet he runs closer to a 4.5 than a 4.4. Besides that, flat out speed doesn't matter if you can't get through the front 7.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1862

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdyson1984 View Post
I'd love us to draft 2 RBs this year i want Either Lacy or Ball and also i think in the 5th round we should take a gamble on Lattimore, I know the injury was a bad one but he came back once he can do it again and a 5th rounder is a gamble to be any good any way.

You could then end up with 3 backs that would be very serviceable (one of which we trade away down the line)
I was waiting for some one to bring up Lattimore. This is the guy I want to draft- I think it will be before the 5th, I think we should take him with one of our 2nd. I know he had a bad injury but McGhee and Gore went through similar injuries before getting drafted and most recently Peterson recovered from one. He's a huge back that runs a 4.5 and has the vision of a pro, he does it all. Injury prone- track record says, yes. But I dont think there is a better back in the draft
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedorange85 View Post
I was waiting for some one to bring up Lattimore. This is the guy I want to draft- I think it will be before the 5th, I think we should take him with one of our 2nd. I know he had a bad injury but McGhee and Gore went through similar injuries before getting drafted and most recently Peterson recovered from one. He's a huge back that runs a 4.5 and has the vision of a pro, he does it all. Injury prone- track record says, yes. But I dont think there is a better back in the draft

For me he would have gone as the top RB (probably in the top 10 had he declared this year and not got the second injury.)

I'm in the UK but a big gamecocks fan and I watched every game he played up to the injury the kid is class in every dimension. A lot of teams will pass on him now so he will certainly drop i'd be happy to spend a 2nd rounder on him and if he goes that high then i would say that is a huge testament to the player he is.

if he comes back from the injury at 95% he is still worth the punt. the injury has not effected his ability to make the right decision etc so its only the speed and cuting which would be impacted (yes i know they are big parts of the position)

It would be perfect for me if he was to leave my college team and join the Bengals!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 379

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotweales View Post
Always thought he was a better complimentary RB that could catch the ball, good inside the 10, and you would not lose much giving him 6-7 carries but he's not a 20-25 carry RB because he just leaves a boatload of yards out there.....Difference between averaging 3.9 ypc and 4.5 plus knocks a bunch of those 3rd and 2's/1's off the board..
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1862

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdyson1984 View Post
For me he would have gone as the top RB (probably in the top 10 had he declared this year and not got the second injury.)

I'm in the UK but a big gamecocks fan and I watched every game he played up to the injury the kid is class in every dimension. A lot of teams will pass on him now so he will certainly drop i'd be happy to spend a 2nd rounder on him and if he goes that high then i would say that is a huge testament to the player he is.

if he comes back from the injury at 95% he is still worth the punt. the injury has not effected his ability to make the right decision etc so its only the speed and cuting which would be impacted (yes i know they are big parts of the position)

It would be perfect for me if he was to leave my college team and join the Bengals!
I agree he played awesome coming back from the first injury this year from last and played fine, I'd expect the same. I think he's worth the flyer like you said even at 95% the kid just has it all and is all potential. I would love to have him in the 2nd because I dont think he'll be around past then and thats only bc of the injury. The guy really does it all, he's a complete back running, catching, vision, finding the hole, pass blocking, you name it he does it well. For those who haven't seen him look him up he's worth watching.