Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Slappy from New Haven's Avatar
Slappy from New Haven Slappy from New Haven is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Cackalaky
Posts: 12,620
Rep Points: 17635
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattro Bus View Post
ever heard of a Sophomore Slump ? let's hope thats what it is and we can expect big things this year
His numbers were better this year.

Having said that it amazes me that teams that have drafted QB's in the last two weeks script the offense around the skill set of the QB.
If Andy has the fastest delivery set the offensive to highlight that skill. With a short passing game in the no huddle they could have other teams gassed by half time.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 AM
BengalRugby's Avatar
BengalRugby BengalRugby is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Living in your head
Posts: 11,760
Rep Points: 23352
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Daltons struggles because there isn't a ground threat to keep the defense honest and the interior o-line has a habit of collapsing on him. Not to mention Gruden's lack of creativity, and frustrating habit of not sticking with what works, hurts the whole offense.

Sturdy interior o-line, via replacing Cook with Robinson or drafting the monster C from Wisconsin, and that problem is solved and Andy improves.

Drafting a young back, or aquiring MJD, McFadden, orChris Johnson in FA, gives the Bengals a great ground game, and further makes Dalton's job easier.

A new OC would call better plays attacking the D where it is wilting, like running against the Cowboys to seal the victory, or Baltimore in the first game as their D was giving away yards on the ground. Or if a pass rusher is killing the OT, running the ball over them, or rolling the QB out to the other side of the o-line, or tossing a RB screen to that side.


I am all about placing blame where it belongs and holding people accountable, but Dalton cannot be blamed here. Further, if anything, he's undercoached as he misses a lot of reads and hasn't grown much as a player. Hope the Bengals get in a better OC and QB coach soon, lest they ruin Dalton.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,109
Rep Points: 2917
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattro Bus View Post
ever heard of a Sophomore Slump ? let's hope thats what it is and we can expect big things this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Um, Dalton was clearly more efficient this year in spite of sacked more. He jumped his passer rating about 8 points. Suggesting he regressed or had a "sophomore slump" is not accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Noodle View Post
Jesus. Dalton is a 2nd year player. He is fine. He's done some really good things and some really bad things. Bottom line, 2 winning seasons in a row. You can't credit him for all of that, but certainly you can't blame him for losing a lot of games. Is he the best qb in the league? No. Is he the worst? Absolutely no. Give the guy a running game and a #2 receiver and he'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
Remember, the anti-Dalton gang and "concerned" posters are immune to logic and facts. Andy improves in virtually every stat category this year over last but somehow that is a slump. The lack of a usable outlet or #2 WR doesn't matter, nor does the lack of speed at RB or the bad pass protection when the lack of experience at Guard plus the bizarre Center rotation caught up to us. Not even the way to vanilla scheme with no elements in it to defuse pass rush. It's all Andy.....right...
I think "most" of us are saying the same thing. The #2, playcalling, Oline, running game all factor in, Andy's play also factors in big.

Joelist here are some stats for you,
Last six games this year 4 TD's 6 INTs. Comp 58% QBR 70.6 take out the BAL game 65 QBR!

2011 last six games. 4 TD's 4 INT's, 73 QBR. COMP 54%.

His Career Average is 84 QBR, 3-1 TD to INT ratio, COMP 61%

So what is happening at the end of seasons? Is the Oline not blocking, the running back not running, the WR not going out for passes? Playcalling? IDK.
His number two at the start of the year isn't even on the team, yet he held his career average.

We got zero control over the situation, but how can this not be one of the first things they look at in the offseason. If he just has his career average in the last six games we are getting ready for another playoff game this weekend.

Let's hope for Andy's, the team's, and the fans sake that the MB posters aren't the only ones that see this. Go Andy I'm rooting for you, that is why I said he needs to sit down with the coaches
and say WTF is going on, your the coaches help me/us fix it.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!

Last edited by D's Nuts and Bolts; 01-12-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 AM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 15,781
Rep Points: 47397
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Daltons struggles because there isn't a ground threat to keep the defense honest and the interior o-line has a habit of collapsing on him. Not to mention Gruden's lack of creativity, and frustrating habit of not sticking with what works, hurts the whole offense.

Sturdy interior o-line, via replacing Cook with Robinson or drafting the monster C from Wisconsin, and that problem is solved and Andy improves.

Drafting a young back, or aquiring MJD, McFadden, orChris Johnson in FA, gives the Bengals a great ground game, and further makes Dalton's job easier.

A new OC would call better plays attacking the D where it is wilting, like running against the Cowboys to seal the victory, or Baltimore in the first game as their D was giving away yards on the ground. Or if a pass rusher is killing the OT, running the ball over them, or rolling the QB out to the other side of the o-line, or tossing a RB screen to that side.


I am all about placing blame where it belongs and holding people accountable, but Dalton cannot be blamed here. Further, if anything, he's undercoached as he misses a lot of reads and hasn't grown much as a player. Hope the Bengals get in a better OC and QB coach soon, lest they ruin Dalton.

All good and very valid points.

Many people seem to forget that offense is a complex machine, in order to have consistent success, it requires that all 11 parts be in sync and functioning properly.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,109
Rep Points: 2917
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
All good and very valid points.

Many people seem to forget that offense is a complex machine, in order to have consistent success, it requires that all 11 parts be in sync and functioning properly.
I agree valid points, + the coaches too need to be in sync and function properly.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM
WhoDeyWalker WhoDeyWalker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 346
Rep Points: 466
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Perhaps stop looking in the bargain bin for a #2 receiver?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-12-2013, 12:21 PM
shaolinghost shaolinghost is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,572
Rep Points: 4645
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Dalton struggles against teams with solid defenses. This may be due to his lack of experience(and the offense as a whole), but for now it's still a topic of concern.

Miami(7th): 65.3rating
Pit(x2)(6th): 57.6rating
Baltimore(week1)(12th): 65.3rating
Denver(4th): 81.3rating
San Diego(16th): 66.9rating

That's an average rating of 67.3. Not good.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Hammerthis Hammerthis is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fort Worth, TX.
Posts: 2,112
Rep Points: 1400
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

[quote=Carl Pickens;2774990]Best thing for Dalton is to get more talent around him. It's a qb driven league now, get him more weapons![/

Even with better talent, IMHO if this team is driven by the QB in 2013 we're in trouble against good teams. Dalton needs at least 2 more years.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM
THEBURG THEBURG is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,398
Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
I think the reasons for Daltons struggles is because he's being over coached...Dalton has to become more relaxed in the pocket. I think his game was better in 2011 than 2012. It seemed like Dalton changed, and became more tense & upright during this season.

I think Marvin or Jay are telling Dalton to do things a certain way causing him to start thinking to much instead of doing what's more comfortable for himself...He needs to start doing things his way & the coaches need to stop messing with his drop back stance and throwing from..his dropback in college looked way better than what it does now because he seemed more relaxed..Andy is thinking to much about looking "professional" instead of just playing the game & just doing it. I think over coaching is messing with his natural game...Andy needs to drop back the way he wants to drop back and he needs to throw the way he wants to. He's done it all his life a certain way and you shouldn't really mess with tha a whole lot. Gruden may be being hard on Dalton pounding things into his brain on how to do things a certain way...This is the only explanation for me on why Dalton is struggling. He looks different from his rookie season, in a bad way.

Gruden should also look into TCU's offensive playbook during the time Dalton was there and watch how they run 5 WR sets with good blocking schemes, & use plays where Andy steps out of the pocket a little bit or roll out, and maybe advise his to scramble & run it if he has the opportunity.

Look at how his throwing motion and drop back form are more relaxed and he is comfortable. He makes a good deep ball throw look easy, But recently he looks very tense and uptight, and his deep ball looks like he's just winging it with no touch to it. My advice to Dalton would be..Do things the way you know how to do them. Drop back the way you want to, & throw the ball the way you want to. Practice playing the game like yourself in the offseason & do what's comfortable to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQkHpQom85w
Oh boy, now he is over coached, was under coached, what will it be next?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Derrick Derrick is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,634
Rep Points: 1984
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
are you saying he doesn't need more reliable weapons?
Probably, but he also needs to accurately hit the ones he has. Some are tall, some are short. He needs to adjust his throw to the target better.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Bengal4ever68's Avatar
Bengal4ever68 Bengal4ever68 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,401
Rep Points: 1225
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
Oh boy, now he is over coached, was under coached, what will it be next?

I see a difference between this years Dalton and last years Dalton. He played much more relaxed & loose like last year, and didn't focus much on making mistakes..He needs to have faith in himself and his recievers to make it happen. Play with the mindset like it's college again.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 PM
BigPapaKain's Avatar
BigPapaKain BigPapaKain is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 6,980
Rep Points: 13103
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Dalton struggles against teams with solid defenses. This may be due to his lack of experience(and the offense as a whole), but for now it's still a topic of concern.

Miami(7th): 65.3rating
Pit(x2)(6th): 57.6rating
Baltimore(week1)(12th): 65.3rating
Denver(4th): 81.3rating
San Diego(16th): 66.9rating

That's an average rating of 67.3. Not good.
Because that's all on Dalton with no credit given to the opposing defense.

Sure, makes sense.
__________________
Vi veri universum vivus vici - By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,353
Rep Points: 24492
bengals Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Probably, but he also needs to accurately hit the ones he has. Some are tall, some are short. He needs to adjust his throw to the target better.
You mean like hitting Gresham dead in his hands and AJ as well?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM
savagehenry54's Avatar
savagehenry54 savagehenry54 is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Columbus
Posts: 14,526
Rep Points: 37705
Default Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Dalton struggles against teams with solid defenses. This may be due to his lack of experience(and the offense as a whole), but for now it's still a topic of concern.

Miami(7th): 65.3rating
Pit(x2)(6th): 57.6rating
Baltimore(week1)(12th): 65.3rating
Denver(4th): 81.3rating
San Diego(16th): 66.9rating

That's an average rating of 67.3. Not good.
Thing is, his passer rating is also a function of how well the offense as a whole is performing. QB more than any other position, their numbers take a hit based on what the moving parts around them are doing or not doing well.

Dalton is solid, improve the parts of the offense that are not solid i.e. letting the ball hit the ground too often (ironically enough the Bengal pass catchers that are in the pro bowl are the most guilty in that dept.), interior Oline pass pro, WR2 position and the biggest need of all, a more dynamic RB.
__________________
2014 Bengals........12-3-1
#1 seed in playoffs.
That's gonna happen.


The Patriots, Steelers and
Giants got fat while the Bengals
starved in the streets. It's our turn.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 22,353
Rep Points: 24492
bengals Re: Dalton being over coached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Thing is, his passer rating is also a function of how well the offense as a whole is performing. QB more than any other position, their numbers take a hit based on what the moving parts around them are doing or not doing well.

Dalton is solid, improve the parts of the offense that are not solid i.e. letting the ball hit the ground too often (ironically enough the Bengal pass catchers that are in the pro bowl are the most guilty in that dept.), interior Oline pass pro, WR2 position and the biggest need of all, a more dynamic RB.
Very accurate post!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.