Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22673
Default Shady's Ultimate Pre-Free Agency Draft

OK, so I put the D ahead of the Offense. I'm hoping we address offense in free agency.

1. 21 Alex Okafor, DE Texas
Yes, Michael Johnson had a big year for us. We might re-sign him, and I hope we do. Even if we do, Okafor would bring more pressure from that side of the ball.

2a. 37 Alec Ogletree, LB UGa
Very smart player who will only get better. Put him or Tez in the middle.

2b. 52 Khassem Greene, LB Rutgers
Like Ogletree, Greene is a former safety with alot of speed. They'd really help us in terms of their ability to play the pass. Let's face it. We don't know how well Thomas Howard will recover. Time to erase our ??? at LB.

3. 85 Baccari Rambo, S, UGa
Great playmaker for the secondary.

4. 115 Stedman Bailey, WR UWV
I like this kid alot. He's a great WR because of his football intelligence as well as his athleticism and moxy. He has great body control and goes after the ball aggressively. Also great with YAC. Put him on the outside across from AJ, and run Sanu in the slot. I think we'd have a great WR corps.

5. 148 Kerwynn Williams RB Utah State
We don't have to draft a marquis name to get a great RB. Just ask the Redskins. Williams is a tough runner with good speed, averaging 7 yards a carry at Utah State his senior year. Plus, he's a tremndous receiver. When's the last time we said that about a Bengal RB?

6a. 181 Chris Thompson, RB, Florida State
Injured during his senior season, I think he falls. Great speed. Better than B. Scott as a change of pace back.

6b. 188 Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse
Hard-nosed, tough safety. I'm not sure how good his cover skills are, but he's a beast in run support.

Last edited by Shady; 01-12-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13389
Default Re: Shady's Ultimate Pre-Free Agency Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
OK, so I put the D ahead of the Offense. I'm hoping we address offense in free agency.

1. 21 Alex Okafor, DE Texas
Yes, Michael Johnson had a big year for us. We might re-sign him, and I hope we do. Even if we do, Okafor would bring more pressure from that side of the ball.

2a. 37 Alec Ogletree, LB UGa
Very smart player who will only get better. Put him or Tez in the middle.

2b. 52 Khassem Greene, LB Rutgers
Like Ogletree, Greene is a former safety with alot of speed. They'd really help us in terms of their ability to play the pass. Let's face it. We don't know how well Thomas Howard will recover. Time to erase our ??? at LB.

3. 85 Baccari Rambo, S, UGa
Great playmaker for the secondary.

4. 115 Stedman Bailey, WR UWV
I like this kid alot. He's a great WR because of his football intelligence as well as his athleticism and moxy. He has great body control and goes after the ball aggressively. Also great with YAC. Put him on the outside across from AJ, and run Sanu in the slot. I think we'd have a great WR corps.

5. 148 Kerwynn Williams RB Utah State
We don't have to draft a marquis name to get a great RB. Just ask the Redskins. Williams is a tough runner with good speed, averring 7 yards a carry at Utah State his senior year. Plus, he's a tremndous receiver. When's the last time we said that about a Bengal RB?

6a. 181 Chris Thompson, RB, Florida State
Injured during his senior season, I think he falls. Great speed. Better than B. Scott as a change of pace back.

6b. 188 Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse
Hard-nosed, tough safety. I'm not sure how good his cover skills are, but he's a beast in run support.
I have mixed feelings. That would be a top 5 D no matter who the DC is.

If they grabbed an interior guy, preferably a top Center (which is a cheaper position if FA in case you are listening MB) it would be a home run.

The only pick that I do not like is Bailey. I am not down on the player, but he might end up playing slot in the NFL, and I think we need a wide out.

Last edited by Lolli; 01-12-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:27 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post

If they grabbed an interior guy, preferably a top Center (which is a cheaper position if FA in case you are listening M it would be a home run.

The only pick that I do not like is Bailey. I am not down on the player, but he might end up playing slot in the NFL, and I think we need a wide out.
Regardless bailey is better than any WR on our team not named AJ he's a definite upgrade for our team.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Love the Okafor pick. Dunlap/Okafor at LDE, with Johnson/Gilberry at RDE would be a scary set of ends. Not a huge fan of picking Ogletree AND Greene because they're so similar, but it does fill a need. I'd change out Greene for the top WR/RB on the board and it's great.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post

If they grabbed an interior guy, preferably a top Center (which is a cheaper position if FA in case you are listening M it would be a home run.

I think Bailey has the skills and speed to be an outside guy, but he'd do well in the slot. The same holds true for Sanu, I think.

I'm really intrigued by our signing of Tuinei as well. He's lke 6'4" or 6'5". Bailey is 5'10".

I'm just sick of watching Hawkins sitting back on balls and waiting for them to come to him, allowing LBs and Safeties to either knock them away or pick them off. Related to his small stature, his arms are not very long. His reach and range are limited.

Having AJ and Tuinei/Jones on the outside and Sanu and Bailey on the inside in our 4 WR sets would be pretty imposing for opposing Ds.

I still like your pick of Jones with 2a, don't get me wrong. But when I sat down and looked at it, I thought that Marvin is not going to replace Cook unless Cook gets hurt. If he does, we have Robinson. We have Boling, with Wharton coming back. We have Whit and, hopefully, Andre Smith. And, of course, Zeitler. So, barring inury, I think our OLine is as good as it's going to get unless I'm just wrong about Marvin's love for Kyle Cook.

So, based on that, I went pure defense with the first 4 picks.

Last edited by Shady; 01-12-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Love the Okafor pick. Dunlap/Okafor at LDE, with Johnson/Gilberry at RDE would be a scary set of ends. Not a huge fan of picking Ogletree AND Greene because they're so similar, but it does fill a need. I'd change out Greene for the top WR/RB on the board and it's great.
Besides Burfict, what LBs currently on our roster would you have us start? Greene and Ogletree are both smart players who make alot of tackles who can also play well in coverage. Putting them behind our DLine (with Okafor) would make for a tremendous front 7. Add Rambo to the mix of Hall, Dre K, Ghee, Neuman, Jones, and Nelson. I think we have the best D in the division.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3118

I love the draft for the most part....those first 3 picks? OUTSTANDING

I'm hoping that we get a RB and a WR2 in FA to balance it out...
Old 01-12-2013, 04:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
I love the draft for the most part....those first 3 picks? OUTSTANDING

I'm hoping that we get a RB and a WR2 in FA to balance it out...
B + B?

Bush and Bowe?

Breaking Bad
Old 01-12-2013, 08:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
B + B?

Bush and Bowe?

Breaking Bad
If that happens....then the Mayans forgot to carry a 1....the world ends in 2013.

I'd absolutely love it tho.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

No way in hell Ogletree falls to our 2A pick!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Why? Because that is where most have him going. Late first, early second.
He doesn't have a defined position yet. Raw as a LB in general and needs to get much stronger on top of his character concerns.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Why? Because that is where most have him going. Late first, early second.
He doesn't have a defined position yet. Raw as a LB in general and needs to get much stronger on top of his character concerns.
With Urlacher most likely not returning with the Bears, I could definitely see the Bears snatching him up.

If the Bengals for some reason would pass on him, well that would be a mistake.

The Ravens are losing Lewis, and with a win tonight, they fall farther down the draft board, so they would have to address their LB situation as well.

I have seen tons of mocks showing Ogletree going in the first round. I am by no means saying that mocks are a 100% correct, because there is always one or two players that fall down the boards, but I just dont see how Ogletree does not come off the board in the first round! Outside of Jones and Te'o, Ogletree is the best LB to come out!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
With Urlacher most likely not returning with the Bears, I could definitely see the Bears snatching him up.

The Ravens are losing Lewis, and with a win tonight, they fall farther down the draft board, so they would have to address their LB situation as well.

I have seen tons of mocks showing Ogletree going in the first round. I am by no means saying that mocks are a 100% correct, because there is always one or two players that fall down the boards, but I just dont see how Ogletree does not come off the board in the first round! Outside of Jones and Te'o, Ogletree is the best LB to come out!
They could. But most aren't even projecting Ogletree inside anymore. So I don't think he ends up either place long run.

His rawness, character and lack of bulk could easily slide him to the 2nd round.
I wouldn't be shocked to see Khaseem Greene go ahead of him.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3253

Quote:
They could. But most aren't even projecting Ogletree inside anymore. So I don't think he ends up either place long run.

His rawness, character and lack of bulk could easily slide him to the 2nd round.
We'll have to see how Greene measures.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yea true. But I think he really grew as a LB this year. He looked like he knew what to do and athletically gifted to make big plays. He was suspended for 4 games and still managed to lead the Bulldogs in tackles.

What's he projected to play in the NFL?

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea true. But I think he really grew as a LB this year. He looked like he knew what to do and athletically gifted to make big plays. He was suspended for 4 games and still managed to lead the Bulldogs in tackles.

What's he projected to play in the NFL?
Most have him playing WLB right now.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7520

Quote:

Jay Cutler wants an olinemen.

The Ravens may be loosing Ed Reed as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
2009 Mock Draft Contest Champion

Rep Points: 806

At first glance, we're a top-10 defense and an underachieving offense. You would think offense is the way to go - and maybe it is. That being said, I have no problem spending our first 3-4 picks bolstering an already stout defensive unit.

If our first 4 picks shook out this way - I'd be pretty ecstatic.

I don't think we take 2 RBs and I'd like to see an O-lineman in there at some point, though.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Love it.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22042

I really like the idea of Greene and Ogletree, as it gives the Bengals a pair of linebackers who can cover.

Don't like going after a DE in the first with S and RB being a much bigger need. In addition, Gilberry really played well for the limited snaps and Johnson will likely get re-signed.

Drafting a WR is a bad idea as the talent is already so young and first year WR's rarrly contribute much.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
I really like the idea of Greene and Ogletree, as it gives the Bengals a pair of linebackers who can cover.

Don't like going after a DE in the first with S and RB being a much bigger need. In addition, Gilberry really played well for the limited snaps and Johnson will likely get re-signed.

Drafting a WR is a bad idea as the talent is already so young and first year WR's rarrly contribute much.
Stedman Bailey is better than any WR on our team not named AJ. Upgrading our WR corp and letting someone like Whalen or Tate or Sazenbacher(sp) go is a win win.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

alec ogletree will be a first round pick. he is projected in the second round right now because it is prior to the combine. Alec ogletree is a freak athlete and when it comes to vert, 40 times, ect at the combine his numbers are gonna be eye popping and someone like chicago will grab him in round 1.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 540

Quote:
I second this!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
I agree. We really need LBs who can cover as well as tackle with ferocity.

Quote:
I appreciate your point. I just think Okafor is THAT much better than what we have, and our pass rush could still improve.

Alot of posters have questioned whether Ogletree will be around in the 2d. I'd be ok with moving him up to our first round pick, and sliding the best RB available between him and Greene.

Quote:
You could be right about this, but taking Stedman Bailey in the 4th would improve our WR corps. To quote Pulses' comment:

Quote:
Stedman Bailey is better than any WR on our team not named AJ.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3089

I'm a bit skeptical of Bailey as our WR2 due to his size, but other small receivers make it work, such as Steve Smith.

I definitely like Kerwynn Williams. Not only can he do everything you mentioned, but he is a great return man as well. Also, he does not have good speed. He has great speed.

Like some others, there are still places that could have been addressed if this draft happened, but they could be filled in FA beforehand. If this draft scenario happened, hopefully FA was kind to us. Still a pretty good draft.