Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12539
Default Air Tight

If the Chiefs are smart, they skip the QB with their first pick, but then come back for Matt late in the round; about where we are sitting. The extra pick lets us fill in the last hole with an NFL starting quality type player.

2a Alex Okafor DE 6'4½" 265 Texas – Solid against both the pass and the run with great leadership skills, has experience moving inside. Best DL in the league.

2b Barrett Jones OC 6'5" 302 Alabama – More than just a cerebral player (which is desperately needed). He is a team first guy with an underrated nasty streak. Best OL in the league.

2c Chase Thomas OLB 6'2 245 Stanford – motor, motor, motor with a high football IQ. LB is a tough one, because you do not know what direction they want to go with Burfict. Ogletree, Green, Minter or B Jenkins can all make sense in different scenarios. Burfict to MLB, C Thomas to SAM, H Thomas to WILL.

3a Cobi Hamilton WR 6'3" 209 Arkansas – Competes with MLJ for the #2 wide out position with Sanu as the primary slot. Backs up Sanu as the possession receiver role. Either way, we now have 4 quality WOs.

3b Bacarri Rambo S 6'0⅝" 206 Georgia – Another smart player, knows how to find the ball. The closest thing to a character concern on the list.

4 Kenjon Barner RB 5'11" 192 Oregon – the needed COP back who can also handle some receiving duties out of the backfield.

5 Xavier Nixon OT 6'5" 314 Florida – highly recruited, but injury plagued. Takes Roland’s spot with a much higher upside.

6a Michael Williams TE 6'6" 270 Alabama – the blocking TE that they can never find. Has nice hands for his size.

6b Knile Davis * RB 6'0" 220 Arkansas – Dynamite fishing. Low risk high reward homerun kind of pick. Seems to be lacking confidence after his injury. Would like to see his short area quickness (straight line is not the issue). Is he still scared of his ankle injury?

Last edited by Lolli; 01-12-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11407
Default Re: Air Tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
If the Chiefs are smart, they skip the QB with their first pick, but then come back for Matt late in the round; about were we are sitting. The extra pick lets us fill in the last hole with an NFL starting quality type player.

2a Alex Okafor DE 6'4½" 265 Texas – Solid against both the pass and the run with great leadership skills, has experience moving inside. Best DL in the league.

2b Barrett Jones OC 6'5" 302 Alabama – More than just a cerebral player (which is desperately needed). He is a team first guy with an underrated nasty streak.

2c Chase Thomas OLB 6'2 245 Stanford – motor, motor, motor with a high football IQ. LB is a tough one, because you do not know what direction they want to go with Burfict. Ogletree, Green, Minter or B Jenkins can all make sense in different scenarios. Burfict to MLB, C Thomas to SAM, H Thomas to WILL.

3a Cobi Hamilton WR 6'3" 209 Arkansas – Competes with MLJ for the #2 wide out position with Sanu as the primary slot. Backs up Sanu as the possession receiver role. Either way, we now have 4 quality WOs.

3b Bacarri Rambo S 6'0⅝" 206 Georgia – Another smart player, knows how to find the ball. The closest then to a character concern on the list.

4 Kenjon Barner RB 5'11" 192 Oregon – the needed COP back who can also handle some receiving duties out of the backfield.

5 Xavier Nixon OT 6'5" 314 Florida – highly recruited, but injury plagued. Takes Roland’s spot with a much higher upside.

6a Michael Williams TE 6'6" 270 Alabama – the blocking TE that they can never find. As nice hands for his size.

6b Knile Davis * RB 6'0" 220 Arkansas – Dynamite fishing. Low risk high reward homerun kind of pick. Seems to be lacking confidence after his injury. Would like to see his short area quickness (straight line is not the issue). Is he still scared of his ankle injury?
I actually like this idea/draft a lot. Not 100% sure about Thomas, but as you stated, it's so hard to predict what they'll do at LB.
Either way, seems like a very solid draft that would help the team greatly. Plus, any draft that puts Cook on the bench is solid in my book!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 901

I really like this draft. Would be happy with the first pick okafor, cuz he is a beast, buttt, I highly doubt we go anywhere on the dline with the first pick. Just a gut feeling, and Im not sure he will be there in round two anyways. Bengals have a nack for finding good lineman in the middle rounds, on both sides of the ball. This draft will be different though, simply because we dont have a lot of glaring needs, and we very well could be taking best athletes on the board when we make most of our picks. Been doing that mostly anyways and filling our needs. Im confident we have another good draft.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 18743

This would be a great draft for us. Cobi Hamilton seems like a pretty good WR, but what struck me most about watching his games against Rutgers and Texas A&M was how much I want their OC. The patterns that I saw him draw up look a hell of lot better than what we've seen from Gruden. Too bad their QB is so awful.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19882
bengals Re: Air Tight

Sorry can't stand this draft. Passing on many top tier guys and settling for second tier talent. With the quality of RBs in this draft you get a guy in Barner that is going to be a novelty change of pace guy and then select the second best back from Arkansas.

We are in position to have a top tier safety like Phillip Thomas, Matt Elam, and maybe even Viccaro and you wait on a character issue guy like Rambo.

Sorry do not like it.This offense needs a back that is going to touch the ball more than a change of pace guy. You have 3 down runners such as Bernard, Randle, Gilleslee, Franklin, Taylor, Michaels, etc. which would allow Ellis to do what he is best at which is relief and short yardage but you pass on all of them.

The best back coming out of Arkansas is Dennis Johnson.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Sorry can't stand this draft. Passing on many top tier guys and settling for second tier talent. With the quality of RBs in this draft you get a guy in Barner that is going to be a novelty change of pace guy and then select the second best back from Arkansas.

We are in position to have a top tier safety like Phillip Thomas, Matt Elam, and maybe even Viccaro and you wait on a character issue guy like Rambo.

Sorry do not like it.This offense needs a back that is going to touch the ball more than a change of pace guy. You have 3 down runners such as Bernard, Randle, Gilleslee, Franklin, Taylor, Michaels, etc. which would allow Ellis to do what he is best at which is relief and short yardage but you pass on all of them.

The best back coming out of Arkansas is Dennis Johnson.
If there is a guy that falls that you do not think you should pass on, then you do not make the trade.

Vaccaro is my favorite Safety in this draft. But this is a great class, and there are others that can do the job. I have no idea what drug Rambo had in his system that caused him to fail the test. The possiblities range from who cares to undraftable. I am not aware of any other behavior that would make you scared of the guy other than a failed drug test that led to a suspension. He is smart dude that is actually in a real program. He plays at an All American level.

There are only a hand full of guys that are clear 3 down backs: Lacy, Ball, Taylor (early) and Gillislee, Michael and Wood (late).

The next tier that you have listed are ya but guys. Maybe the make it, maybe they don't.

Bernard - smaller build with a history of injuries. Is that a 3 down guy in the AFCN? May lack the speed / quickness combo to be a COP back.

Randle - slight build for his height. Is that a 3 down guy in the AFCN?

Our primary need at RB is a COP guy. A new bell cow would be great, but Lacy is the only clear upgrade over BJGE (other than the injury guys like Lattimore and Davis). We would still need a COP back.

Last edited by Lolli; 01-12-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 991

Quote:
If there is a guy that falls that you do not think you should pass on, then you do not make the trade.

Vaccaro is my favorite Safety in this draft. But this is a great class, and there are others that can do the job. I have no idea what drug Rambo had in his system that caused him to fail the test. The possiblities range from who cares to undraftable. I am not aware of any other behavior that would make you scared of the guy other than a failed drug test that led to a suspension. He is smart dude that is actually in a real program. He plays at an All American level.

There are only a hand full of guys that are clear 3 down backs: Lacy, Ball, Taylor (early) and Gillislee, Michael and Wood (late).

The next tier that you have listed are ya but guys. Maybe the make it, maybe they don't.

Bernard - smaller build with a history of injuries. Is that a 3 down guy in the AFCN? May lack the speed / quickness combo to be a COP back.

Our primary need at RB is a COP guy. A new bell cow would be great, but Lacy is the only clear upgrade over BJGE (other than the injury guys like Lattimore and Davis). We would still need a COP back.
He had a Weed Brownie when he was at the beach with some of his friends. He confessed to his coach and was inevitably turned into the NCAA. Its not like he ate the whole back bc he is addicted to weed or any other drugs. I hope people arent forgetting about Ogletree and his four game suspension, because according to some these posters standards we should pass on Ogletree too.

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhodey View Post
I really like this draft. Would be happy with the first pick okafor, cuz he is a beast, buttt, I highly doubt we go anywhere on the dline with the first pick. Just a gut feeling, and Im not sure he will be there in round two anyways. Bengals have a nack for finding good lineman in the middle rounds, on both sides of the ball. This draft will be different though, simply because we dont have a lot of glaring needs, and we very well could be taking best athletes on the board when we make most of our picks. Been doing that mostly anyways and filling our needs. Im confident we have another good draft.
The 1st round is hard for me this year.

OT - Whit is still playing well, so where would the new guy play
OG - Warmack and Cooper are players that you probably do not pass on. Assuming you have no shot at Warmack, either Cooper of Boling have to move to OC and there is some risk to that move.
OC - Cook stinks. I like Robinson, but would like him even better as the 1st guy off of the bench. Jones might be worth a 1st.
QB - they are not going to change AD out for some dude out of a bad class.
RB - nobody worth it
WR - the team needs a big bodied WR, not another deep threat guy which is what is available this year in the 1st.
TE - I doubt they give up on Gresh

DE - despite the production, they disapear sometimes.
DT - we are set
LB - if they move Burfict to the middle, Minter does not make much sense. I do not want another gamble on a DE/LB hybrid that Marvin loves so much. If Jones falls this far, it means all the other teams know to pass on him for medical reasons because he is a top 5 guy. If Te'o falls this far, do you take him?
CB - Kirkpatrick is an unknown and the rest of the DBs are not getting younger. If Rhodes has good measurables, I would snatch him up.
S - major need, but a deep class.

Last edited by Lolli; 01-12-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
He had a Weed Brownie when he was at the beach with some of his friends. He confessed to his coach and was inevitably turned into the NCAA. Its not like he ate the whole back bc he is addicted to weed or any other drugs. I hope people arent forgetting about Ogletree and his four game suspension, because according to some these posters standards we should pass on Ogletree too.
Thanks! Did he confess out of guilt?

Here is a fun article on the subject.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ana/index.html

Last edited by Lolli; 01-12-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

It really is timd to get over the AFCN hype. It is a division in the NFL and they are all tough. The Mean Joe Green days are long ago.

Randle has become my favorite after much film. He has the body to add more bulk ......if necessary. He will, as most others , gain strength and size as he works in the weight room. He is a do it all back and that includes picking up the blitz in passing situations.

Lacy has the hype because of were he plays.

As many you obviously relate size to ability. Ball ....way over worked in college by a one dimensional team.

Taylor .......I would suggest film watching for those tooting his horn and I do not mean highlight clips. He is slow to the hole and has very little make you miss quality. Often goes down with first contact and needs wide lanes to break a big one.

The guys you are calling second tier lack only one thing which I believe you are overrating and that is weight. They have all had bulk carries and have all shown themselves capable to be NFL backs .......in any division.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:13 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
I was wondering when someone would bring that up about Ogletree.lol.
Hes everyones favorite.lol
Old 01-12-2013, 03:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
It really is timd to get over the AFCN hype. It is a division in the NFL and they are all tough. The Mean Joe Green days are long ago.

Randle has become my favorite after much film. He has the body to add more bulk ......if necessary. He will, as most others , gain strength and size as he works in the weight room. He is a do it all back and that includes picking up the blitz in passing situations.

Lacy has the hype because of were he plays.

As many you obviously relate size to ability. Ball ....way over worked in college by a one dimensional team.

Taylor .......I would suggest film watching for those tooting his horn and I do not mean highlight clips. He is slow to the hole and has very little make you miss quality. Often goes down with first contact and needs wide lanes to break a big one.

The guys you are calling second tier lack only one thing which I believe you are overrating and that is weight. They have all had bulk carries and have all shown themselves capable to be NFL backs .......in any division.
It is just one factor. And when a player is missing it, you have to see if he has others that can compensate for it. Geno is a perfect example of this.

I put some thought into it, and here is a list of factors that I thought were relevant:

Physical Attributes
Agility - ability to move laterally
Balance - what happens in traffic, or after contact
Height - can be an advantage or disadvantage based on position and other attributes
Power - the translation of strength on the field
Quickness - how fast do they reach top speed
Speed - top speed in those rare occasions you can display it
Weight - when combined with power is an advantage

Durability
Injury - chronic issues?
Wear - given enough wear, injury will result even if there is none today

Mental Attributes
Coachable - can they change their ways and break bad habits, or listen at all
Competitiveness - how do they perform when it matters
Football IQ - Gronko is a moron but he knows football
Intelligence - can they recognize, remember and learn
Leadership - are they a positive influence, will others follow them
Vision - ability to take information in, process it quickly and make decisions

Production - all that stuff is great, but you have to produce results

Last edited by Lolli; 01-12-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
It is just one factor. And when a player is missing it, you have to see if he has others that can compensate for it. Geno is a perfect example of this.

I put some thought into it, and here is a list of factors that I thought were relevant:

Physical Attributes
Agility - ability to move in laterally
Balance - what happens in traffic, or after contact
Height - can be an advantage or disadvantage based on position and other attributes
Power - the translation of strength on the field
Quickness - how fast do they reach top spead
Speed - top speed in those rare occasions you can display it
Weight - when combined with power is an advantage

Durability
Injury - chronic issues?
Wear - given enough wear, injury will result even if there is none today

Mental Attributes
Competitiveness - how do they perform when it matters
Football IQ - Gronko is a moron but he knows football
Intelligence - can they recognize, remember and learn
Leadership - are they a positive influence, will others follow them
Vision - ability to take information in, process it quickly and make decisions
Coachable - can they change their ways and break bad habits, or listen at all

Production - all that stuff is great, but you have to produce results
Yep....I agree with all of those. Randle and Gilleslee meet the above bill and have produced.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2056

Quote:
Yep....I agree with all of those. Randle and Gilleslee meet the above bill and have produced.
Randle reminds me alot of Lamar Miller from last year when I watch his games, slender body, goes down on first contact more than they should and was running through HUGE holes in college. I like Randle as a compliment to BJGE if were getting him in round 3 but before that Im not sure, and I don't think he is an every down RB.

As for Lacy its hard to judge him considering he has 3 Olineman going in the first 2 rounds this year and one of the better blocking TEs out there but he does have a good burst through the holes, good moves and always keeps his legs moving for more yards.

Im not a huge fan of any of the RBs in this years draft early quite honestly, I wouldn't be upset with any of them but I wouldnt be super excited with any of them either. I would prefer to go with other needs the first 2 rounds and get a RB in 3 and 5-6, Jawan Jamison and Kerwynn Williams would be a good pair of guys behind BJGE.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones4980 View Post
Randle reminds me alot of Lamar Miller from last year when I watch his games, slender body, goes down on first contact more than they should and was running through HUGE holes in college. I like Randle as a compliment to BJGE if were getting him in round 3 but before that Im not sure, and I don't think he is an every down RB.

As for Lacy its hard to judge him considering he has 3 Olineman going in the first 2 rounds this year and one of the better blocking TEs out there but he does have a good burst through the holes, good moves and always keeps his legs moving for more yards.

Im not a huge fan of any of the RBs in this years draft early quite honestly, I wouldn't be upset with any of them but I wouldnt be super excited with any of them either. I would prefer to go with other needs the first 2 rounds and get a RB in 3 and 5-6, Jawan Jamison and Kerwynn Williams would be a good pair of guys behind BJGE.
Haven't seen much film on Randle have you.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2056

Quote:
Haven't seen much film on Randle have you.
Yea I watched a few games live and every game of his on Youtube and would love to see more if you know a place to find them. will say I watched the Youtube games about a month or 2 ago so I watched them again to refresh what I thought of the guy.

What I got on him was he did break more tackles than I remember but most seem to be lazy arm tackles by guys in the secondary. He has a narrow frame and im not sure how much weight he could add without it affecting his game. He has a somewhat upright running style but seems to know when to get low. I don't think he has elite speed as I seen him getting run down from behind more than Id like. Pass Pro is good, Running is good but he does have quite a few runs where he isn't touched for 5-10 yards and how many times is that gonna happen for him in the NFL? Receiving game is very good too. I think he does everything good but nothing great, combine that with a narrow frame, an upright running style and a guy without elite speed and I see a 3rd round RB that I would be worried about staying healthy for 16 games getting the majority of the carries in the NFL.

Instead of being a condescending **** how about discussing something next time instead of leaving your one liners.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones4980 View Post
Yea I watched a few games live and every game of his on Youtube and would love to see more if you know a place to find them. will say I watched the Youtube games about a month or 2 ago so I watched them again to refresh what I thought of the guy.

What I got on him was he did break more tackles than I remember but most seem to be lazy arm tackles by guys in the secondary. He has a narrow frame and im not sure how much weight he could add without it affecting his game. He has a somewhat upright running style but seems to know when to get low. I don't think he has elite speed as I seen him getting run down from behind more than Id like. Pass Pro is good, Running is good but he does have quite a few runs where he isn't touched for 5-10 yards and how many times is that gonna happen for him in the NFL? Receiving game is very good too. I think he does everything good but nothing great, combine that with a narrow frame, an upright running style and a guy without elite speed and I see a 3rd round RB that I would be worried about staying healthy for 16 games getting the majority of the carries in the NFL.

Instead of being a condescending **** how about discussing something next time instead of leaving your one liners.
I like Randle but I dont love him at all an he does run very high just a tad bit much for my taste and he rarely switches hands with the ball which may cause a bit of trouble on the next level. To be honest he reminds me of Chris Perry with a softer running style. Just my opinion.