Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-13-2013, 04:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2682
Default Rough draft of a smooth draft

Staying:
Geno Atkins: First thing you do with all that money is lock up the All-Pro
Andre Smith: Will likely have to be franchised, it would say a lot of they could lock him up.
Kevin Huber: Should be paid like a top 10 punter, clutch kicks to end the year.
Josh Brown or Mike Nugent: Got nothin, they're loyal to Nuge but he's injury prone.
Michael Johnson: He will hit the market and take Cincy's deal, hopefully stay motivated..
Adam Jones: CB depth and returns, totally worth resigning.
Terence Newman: Signed again as insurance for Dre, deserves it.
Wallace Gilberry: Cincy gives him something like 3 years before free agency starts
Cedric Peerman: League minimum deal to come in as #4 and fight for a roster spot.
Thomas Howard: Comes back to fight for the WLB spot.
Chris Crocker: Retained on the cheap, Yeremiah Bell is another option.
Nate Clements: Love the versatilty, hope he can stay but likely one vet DB leaves.
Clark Harris: Should retain the guy we don't hear anything about.
Bruce Gradkowski: He comes back cheap, unless Hue is OC maybe J.Campbell?
Dan Skuta: Cheap bacup LB/ST player stays.

Leaving:
Pat Sims: Someone will pay him more than Cincy wil, they will rely on their youth
Bernard Scott:
Brandon Tate
Richard Quinn
Dennis Roland
Brian Leonard
Jeromy Miles
Manny Lawson
Robert Geathers
Rey Maualuga

Trade: Pierre Thomas for 6th round pick. He is owed 2.5M and NO has no space. Cincy makes a deal for a runner to get one need out of the way.

Free Agency:
WR Brian Hartline: Ohio native returns after Miami lands Welker and another top 3 WR. This is a big signing as a vet that can get open and take pressure off the others.

SLB Justin Durant: With the turnover of LBs, they'll need this solid vet hitting their prime.

1. Alec Ogletree, LB Georgia: Awesome sideline to sideline and coverage skills will help complement Vontaze and round out the LB crew.
2a. Barret Jones OL Alabama: His versatility makes him very valuable, but his mind and strength makes him a weapon at center.
2b. David Amerson CB/S NC State: Amerson gives Cincy another tweener type that will actually pick passes off and can hold his own in coverage.
3. Brandon Williams DT MSSU/William Gholston DE MSU: Ideally you take a run stuffing DE like Gholston, but the potential of Williams may be too great to pass on.
4.Jawan Jamison, RB Rutgers: Another Rutgers playmaker. This one is electric and wouldn't need to be rushed if they sign a FA RB. Barner could go here if Jamison is gone.
5. Lerentee McCray LB Florida: Can develop as a SLB backup that can help rush the QB, especially if Moch isn't ready. Lewis loves these DE/LB types on the strong side.
6(comp) Jake Stoneburner TE Ohio State: A lot to prove but he's tall & an average blocker.
7. Braden Brown T BYU Smart tackle that could fight his way onto the roster.

Last edited by phil413; 01-13-2013 at 04:54 AM. Reason: typo, change
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496
Default Re: Rough draft of a smooth draft

The enquirer didn't do Rey any favors in thier article in todays morning paper. Even if they resign him I still think they go LB early. I think if they draft Ogletree it will be to play weakside or strongside and not the middle. He can use his atheletisim more on the outside without having to play in traffic downhill which isnt a strong suit.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1738

It's a nice mock, landing Hartline would be especially nice.

Only thing I don't like is you don't address the DE position (Gholston underachieves like no other so I don't count him) and safety (unless you have Amerson playing safety).

Overall I would be happy though.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
It's a nice mock, landing Hartline would be especially nice.

Only thing I don't like is you don't address the DE position (Gholston underachieves like no other so I don't count him) and safety (unless you have Amerson playing safety).

Overall I would be happy though.
I like Kenny Vaccaro enough that I hope they consider him for an early pick. Ogletree swarms to the ball too well to pass on, plus it will be their biggest need. Jones is too nice of a fit, so if those guys are on the board I don't go safety til the late 2nd round pick. Amerson's ball skills are too good to pass up as something Cincy really needs, and like it or not I think they'll resign all the vets and draft another tweener type if he is the best available DB. I'd rather have a true starting SS, but not sure they do that. Fresno State's Philliip Thomas is more of a balanced safety, and I could see him at this pick.

As for the DE position, if MJ is resigned and Sims leaves then I think they lean toward bringing along a DE/DT type like they've used in the past. Gillberry has shown enough to where he should be in competition for the 3rd DE spot, and I still think they'll consider Still for some of the reps Geathers gives up. Gholston actually fits the bill of an undearachieving freakishly built DL type that Marvin and Co. may take, I agree that he has wasted his talent but don't be shocked if they take him in hopes of a high payoff. McCray as a 3rd down DE is another option if he is taken. .
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4468

I'm not a big fan of your offseason moves, but I do love the mock, outside of the Amerson pick. I just don't see a scenario or keeping both Smith and MJ unless one signs before free agency. I don't see the need for a high priced WR, I'm willing to be patient with Sanu/Jones and a veteran would only slow their development.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3379

Well, LB got covered (Yes to both Durant! and Ogletree).

Otherwise, meh. It's rough I guess.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 36845

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil413 View Post
Staying:
Geno Atkins: First thing you do with all that money is lock up the All-Pro
Andre Smith: Will likely have to be franchised, it would say a lot of they could lock him up.
Kevin Huber: Should be paid like a top 10 punter, clutch kicks to end the year.
Josh Brown or Mike Nugent: Got nothin, they're loyal to Nuge but he's injury prone.
Michael Johnson: He will hit the market and take Cincy's deal, hopefully stay motivated..
Adam Jones: CB depth and returns, totally worth resigning.
Terence Newman: Signed again as insurance for Dre, deserves it.
Wallace Gilberry: Cincy gives him something like 3 years before free agency starts
Cedric Peerman: League minimum deal to come in as #4 and fight for a roster spot.
Thomas Howard: Comes back to fight for the WLB spot.
Chris Crocker: Retained on the cheap, Yeremiah Bell is another option.
Nate Clements: Love the versatilty, hope he can stay but likely one vet DB leaves.
Clark Harris: Should retain the guy we don't hear anything about.
Bruce Gradkowski: He comes back cheap, unless Hue is OC maybe J.Campbell?
Dan Skuta: Cheap bacup LB/ST player stays.

Leaving:
Pat Sims: Someone will pay him more than Cincy wil, they will rely on their youth
Bernard Scott:
Brandon Tate
Richard Quinn
Dennis Roland
Brian Leonard
Jeromy Miles
Manny Lawson
Robert Geathers
Rey Maualuga

Trade: Pierre Thomas for 6th round pick. He is owed 2.5M and NO has no space. Cincy makes a deal for a runner to get one need out of the way.

Free Agency:
WR Brian Hartline: Ohio native returns after Miami lands Welker and another top 3 WR. This is a big signing as a vet that can get open and take pressure off the others.

SLB Justin Durant: With the turnover of LBs, they'll need this solid vet hitting their prime.

1. Alec Ogletree, LB Georgia: Awesome sideline to sideline and coverage skills will help complement Vontaze and round out the LB crew.
2a. Barret Jones OL Alabama: His versatility makes him very valuable, but his mind and strength makes him a weapon at center.
2b. David Amerson CB/S NC State: Amerson gives Cincy another tweener type that will actually pick passes off and can hold his own in coverage.
3. Brandon Williams DT MSSU/William Gholston DE MSU: Ideally you take a run stuffing DE like Gholston, but the potential of Williams may be too great to pass on.
4.Jawan Jamison, RB Rutgers: Another Rutgers playmaker. This one is electric and wouldn't need to be rushed if they sign a FA RB. Barner could go here if Jamison is gone.
5. Lerentee McCray LB Florida: Can develop as a SLB backup that can help rush the QB, especially if Moch isn't ready. Lewis loves these DE/LB types on the strong side.
6(comp) Jake Stoneburner TE Ohio State: A lot to prove but he's tall & an average blocker.
7. Braden Brown T BYU Smart tackle that could fight his way onto the roster.
I absolutely love the idea of landing Hartline and I dig getting a good LB in the first too. I still wanna see a RB by the second round though, maybe even the first if there's a guy worth it. Pierre Thomas is awrite, but I want a bona fide star at RB, that more than anything would help the offense tremendously.
2014 Bengals........13-3, #1 seed in playoffs. That's gonna happen.