Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1340
Default Need proof that upgrading the OL is needed?

See exhibit A: San Fran's absolute domination of Green Bay.

The 9er's have invested a lot in their OL. Its paid off the past two years, and they have unquestionably the best line in the NFL. GB has gotten little pressure in CK, and the run game has been beastly. Upgrading marginal guys like Boling, and Cook/Robinson with some guys who dominate the point of attack (Warmack/Warford/Jones) would go a long way to bringing Cincy's run game up to par. It'd also give Dalton a chance to survey the field. When he feels the 1st hint of pressure, Dalton freaks out and runs or presses the primary receiver. Without a better line, Dalton will continue to look average against better rush teams.

So why not make a decent line into an unquestioned team strength? This makes sense, especially when all other key parts except Andre are signed for the next few seasons.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Need proof that upgrading the OL is needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3r3e3 View Post
See exhibit A: San Fran's absolute domination of Green Bay.

The 9er's have invested a lot in their OL. Its paid off the past two years, and they have unquestionably the best line in the NFL. GB has gotten little pressure in CK, and the run game has been beastly. Upgrading marginal guys like Boling, and Cook/Robinson with some guys who dominate the point of attack (Warmack/Warford/Jones) would go a long way to bringing Cincy's run game up to par. It'd also give Dalton a chance to survey the field. When he feels the 1st hint of pressure, Dalton freaks out and runs or presses the primary receiver. Without a better line, Dalton will continue to look average against better rush teams.

So why not make a decent line into an unquestioned team strength? This makes sense, especially when all other key parts except Andre are signed for the next few seasons.

Your thoughts?

Absolutely agree! Thats why I mocked we should draft Frederick and Warford
Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 7519

Upgrade the dline and win a SB like the Giants.
Upgrade the LB corp and win a SB like the Steelers.
Upgrade the WR corp and win a SB like the Packers.
Upgrade the oline and win a SB like the 49ers might.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

I would jump all over Warmack if he somehow fell to us. It's very unlikely, but last yer everyone said there was no way Decastro would fall to #21 either.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41432

Our Oline is just as talented as San Fran's

Whit=Staley
Boling<Iupati
Cook< Goodwin
Zeitler>Boone
Smith>Davis
Old 01-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post

Whit=Staley
Boling<Iupati
Cook< Goodwin
Zeitler>Boone
Smith>Davis
You're crazy.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
You're crazy.
Which comparison do you disagree with?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25048

Quote:
Which comparison do you disagree with?
the comparisons are fine.
I think the difference between a guy like Iupati and Boling is greater than Smith and Zeitler over Boone and Davis.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
the comparisons are fine.
I think the difference between a guy like Iupati and Boling is greater than Smith and Zeitler over Boone and Davis.
which makes my point if we got frederick and warford we would be much better.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25048

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
which makes my point if we got frederick and warford we would be much better.
Still have other needs to go back to back OL.
Would depend a lot on free agency.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5135

I think our O line is pretty good especially when we have Robinson in over Cook. We need to remember that this was the first season starting for Zeitler, Robinson, and Boiling. Once they mature their going to be a top 5 unit.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1340

Quote:

Whit=Staley
Boling<Iupati
Cook< Goodwin
Zeitler>Boone
Smith>Davis
With all due respect, yer delusional. The Bengals have a decent line, probably in the Top 10. The 49er's have the best line, or at worst, the 2nd best, behind the Pats. Cincy's offensive woes are many. Fix the line however, and you give Dalton more time, so he's not running around like a chicken sans head, like he was in the Wild Card game, and most of the games against good pass-rush teams. Strengthening the line also allows better running lanes for Cincy's marginal RB talent. And also gives receivers an extra second or two to get open.

There's no need to go back to back. However, drafting at least one of the difference makers (ahem Warford...) in the 2nd easily strengthens the line. Cincy doesn't have to go OL/OL with the first two picks, but a difference maker is needed. Boling is not a starter, or if he is, he's average. Cook and Robinson are average at best. These guys are glaring holes when you factor in that Cincy plays 6 games each year against teams with big run-stuffing DT's. Boling and Robinson in particualr are small for interior lineman. It s hard to knock the Hamptons, Ngata's, and Taylor's of the world off the ball when you give up strength and LB's to them. All of that adds up to getting a bigger, better OL to take over. That doesn't preclude the Bengals from getting a S and LB/RB with the other two top picks; it just means it'd be prudent to use one of 'em to grab an upgrade.

Whit = Staley
Boling <<< Iupati
Cook << Goodwin
Zeitler > Boone
Smith > or = Davis

The sum of the parts is that SF has an appreciably better OL than Cincy; doesn't mean Cincy's OL is AZ bad, its just not a Top 3 OL.

With all the cap space that the Bengals have, I envision a 2nd running back being signed via FA. A guy in the Pierre Thomas/ Chris Ivory/Mike Goodson mold. Making RB less of a Day 1 or 2 need. Maybe Mike will surprise us and grab a bigger name, but I doubt it. The bulk of the money will likely be used to sign guys to extensions (Atkins), or new deals (MJ/Andre).

Last edited by t3r3e3; 01-13-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24280
bengals Re: Need proof that upgrading the OL is needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
I think our O line is pretty good especially when we have Robinson in over Cook. We need to remember that this was the first season starting for Zeitler, Robinson, and Boiling. Once they mature their going to be a top 5 unit.
It is funny sometimes on these boards. People make statements about a guy like Boling yet do not back it with any fact. Boling has been rated anywhere from 2 to 12th at his position depending which source you look at.

That is not too shabby no matter how you slice it. People just have zero patience it seems.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 395

The only difference between SF lines and Cincy is the position coach. Cincy's offensive line coach is horrible and no one in the organization realizes it. The line play will improve when this sorry for an excuse coach is canned.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24280
bengals Re: Need proof that upgrading the OL is needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBengal View Post
The only difference between SF lines and Cincy is the position coach. Cincy's offensive line coach is horrible and no one in the organization realizes it. The line play will improve when this sorry for an excuse coach is canned.
Not saying Alexander is good or bad however there are some points to consider:

1) Clint Boling - Benched last year then this season is ranked from 2-12 at LG in the NFL depending on different sources.

2) Trevor Robinson - UDFA rookie that had never taken a snap at center until training camp is forced into duty and played at an extremely high level given the circumstances.

3) Kevin Zeitler - Rookie RG ends up ranked in the top 5 at his position by virtually every source. A couple of sources graded him out at the best at his position.

4) interior line as a whole consisted of a first year player and two rookies, one undrafted, and still makes a very respectable showing.

Most will tell you that the really good lines have a developed chemistry that generally takes more than a single season to produce. So all in all the season for this line could not be considered terrible by any means.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4731

Our line is pretty damn good except for two things. The linchpin (center) is by the far the weakest link with Cook in there, it needs upgraded. Secondly, if Smith doesn't re-sign or get tagged, we have a huge problem and OT becomes the most pressing need by far. That's why I like drafting Barrett Jones. He can play 4 out of 5 positions and would give us tons of flexibility, toughness and leadership.

Last edited by et2house; 01-13-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
It is funny sometimes on these boards. People make statements about a guy like Boling yet do not back it with any fact. Boling has been rated anywhere from 2 to 12th at his position depending which source you look at.

That is not too shabby no matter how you slice it. People just have zero patience it seems.
I don't give a sheot what those ratings say. Boling is average at best. Warford is a CLEAR upgrade over him so he must be the best G in the NFL coming into the draft then LOL according to whatever ratings you're going by.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20599

Got all the proof I needed the end of this season.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6650

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Not saying Alexander is good or bad however there are some points to consider:

1) Clint Boling - Benched last year then this season is ranked from 2-12 at LG in the NFL depending on different sources.

2) Trevor Robinson - UDFA rookie that had never taken a snap at center until training camp is forced into duty and played at an extremely high level given the circumstances.

3) Kevin Zeitler - Rookie RG ends up ranked in the top 5 at his position by virtually every source. A couple of sources graded him out at the best at his position.

4) interior line as a whole consisted of a first year player and two rookies, one undrafted, and still makes a very respectable showing.

Most will tell you that the really good lines have a developed chemistry that generally takes more than a single season to produce. So all in all the season for this line could not be considered terrible by any means.
I'm sold on Boling as being a good fit in our system. Just because Profootball Focus has him rated high doesn't mean squat. If he was that good, he would be headed to the Pro-Bowl.

There is something wrong with the line, otherwise we wouldn't be watching them give up as many sacks and pressures as they do.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
Got all the proof I needed the end of this season.
IF we'd draft Frederick and Warford our O Line would be DOMINANT.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955

The argument here is that because Colin Kaepernick ran all over GB, and Mathews (their only lineman worth a salt, Raji is good at appearing in State Farm Commercials), SF dominated GB at the point of attack. Ergo we should covet a OLman early?

Proof? I dunno. Our line isn't bad. We could use some depth, and if someone falls I'd grab a talented guy. But I wouldn't prioritize it over the 5 or 6 other positions we need to fill.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
The argument here is that because Colin Kaepernick ran all over GB, and Mathews (their only lineman worth a salt, Raji is good at appearing in State Farm Commercials), SF dominated GB at the point of attack. Ergo we should covet a OLman early?

Proof? I dunno. Our line isn't bad. We could use some depth, and if someone falls I'd grab a talented guy. But I wouldn't prioritize it over the 5 or 6 other positions we need to fill.
If you can get a dominant Guard who is CLEARLY better than what we have u do it. We have enough picks to take one early and still fill all of our needs.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20599

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
IF we'd draft Frederick and Warford our O Line would be DOMINANT.
I'd have no problem with that. Gotta be strong up front, especially in the middle.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I'd have no problem with that. Gotta be strong up front, especially in the middle.
Yeah Frederick 6'4 338 and Warford 6'3 343 with what we have now sounds real good!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Wow, never have I've been more confused about an o-line thread. In the Middle of the season when Robinson was dominating, you all loved him, ever since Cook came back, you all hated both of our centers. Put robinson in at C, release Cook and our O-line is fine.

CINwillWIN is the man