Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10490
Default Re: Interesting

God I'm sick of this. Dalton is a 2nd year QB with no off season in his first year. Everyone wants this kid to be Montana right out the gate. How about I have a kid, and then put him up for adoption because the slow little freak can't read Stephen King's "The Stand" during year two?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast Jones View Post
Man, what a loser. Right? Dude only went to the Superbowl twice. And he's only won 9 games out of 19 tries.Yeah, totally fair comparison to use with Dalton's 0-2, with a -115 QB rating.

PS Dalton was 24-41 with ZERO TD's and two interceptions against Pit. Anytime your QB posts a QB rating in the 50's and you win, you won in spite of him. The defense won that game. Period.
So what you want from Dalton is just 1 SB win? Got it.

I don't doubt that the Defense won that game. However Dalton played very well in that game. Jones catches that pass in the endzone and TD, Green gets 2 feet in bounds and the drive is still alive. Green not fumbling killed a drive as well. So while Dalton's stats against PItt isn't overwhelming, he did make the crucial throw that was needed to win that game.

Now back to the playoffs. Everyone is up in arms against Dalton some even want to get rid of him. Winning in the NFL is hard yet Dalton has a winning record in the NFL. Winning in the postseason is harder. What some believe is one of the best QBs to play the game was 1 and done 3 times before getting his first playoff win and then after that went 2-1, 1-1, and then 0-1 before FINALLY winning a SB. So what we need from Dalton is for him to continue to win in the regular season so that we can have HOPE for any success in the post season.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24488

Quote:
Originally Posted by neek View Post
God I'm sick of this. Dalton is a 2nd year QB with no off season in his first year. Everyone wants this kid to be Montana right out the gate. How about I have a kid, and then put him up for adoption because the slow little freak can't read Stephen King's "The Stand" during year two?
I mean, he really needs to stop dropping passes that hit him in the hands on third down.
Oh wait....
Old 01-12-2013, 09:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkValleyBengal View Post
And the Colts had the #1 overall pick when Manning got there. And his rookie year was the last year they didn't make the playoffs before last season.
Actually they missed the playoffs in 2001. Which was Manning's 4th year.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
And those passes for easy touchdowns/first downs Green has dropped/failed to locate?
Bottom line, neither Green nor Dalton played as good as they should have in the stretch.
Exactly. Green is phenomenal yet he did lead the AFC North in Drops for WRs. Dalton has a lot of room for improvement yet him and Green will be a solid tandem going forward. I believe BOTH help each other out.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
Exactly. Green is phenomenal yet he did lead the AFC North in Drops for WRs. Dalton has a lot of room for improvement yet him and Green will be a solid tandem going forward. I believe BOTH help each other out.
They play well together. Compliment each other's strengths. Only issue arises is when neither is on their game, only one of them gets blamed for it.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Funniest thing I think I have ever read on here.

Yeah all those passes that sail on Dalton that Green has to bail him out and make a crazy catch, that's Dalton making Green better.

Manning made Harrison more than the other way around. Look at the numbers after he left. Manning made Pierre Garcon into a stat stuffer. Dallas Clark hurt? Oh, who's this Jacon Tamme guy? Look at Eric Decker's numbers from last year and then look at them this year. Do the same thing with Demarius Thomas. Manning can put up numbers with anybody.
Oh yes, Manning knows how to read defenses, NOW. However what was he like as a rookie? He needed a go to guy just like AJ is for Andy. AJ is a great WR and all but he is far from perfect and I am OK with that because he is only in his 2nd year. Dalton is also in his 2nd year and BOTH look to be primed for an excellent 3rd year. They may even do something that we as Bengals' fans have never seen before and make the playoffs a 3rd year in a row. Now wouldn't that be something?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 15596

Quote:
God I'm sick of this. Dalton is a 2nd year QB with no off season in his first year. Everyone wants this kid to be Montana right out the gate.
No they don't. They just don't want him to look like absolute garbage, which he did against Houston.

No one, at least not me, is/was asking for 300 yards and 3 TD's and a 110+ QB rating. But there is no excuse for the performance he put up. This offense scored 1 TD the last 4 weeks of the year. He threw 4 TD's over his last 6 games. There was some concern to be had, and then with that stinker of a game in the playoffs, people are wondering what the hell is going on.

If Tony Romo has the same game Dalton does against Houston does he get ripped? What about Flacco? Eli? Cam Newton? Michael Vick? etc, etc etc. All of those QB get ripped with a performance like that.

Well, everyone thinks Dalton is in that class, maybe even higher (fair enough) so why is he held to a lower standard? Why is not ok for fans here to voice their displeasure when it's ok for fans of other teams to voice theirs?

And spare me the year 2 stuff. All I heard was how good he'd be with a full offseason and another year of seasoning. The kid has 34 starts plus 8 preseason games. Look at what Collin Kapernick is doing right now in the playoffs. Look at what Russell Wilson did last week. Look at the season RG3 had. Andrew Luck had a better playoff performance and he's got less talent on offense. Year 1, 2, 3, 10 there is no excuse for how he looked. He ******.

No one expects Joe Montana. But it's total bs people get labeled as unreasonable for ripping an obvious bust of a showing. People praise Dalton all that time, and get so upset anytime he's not held higher than a guy like a Vick, a Newton, or a Romo, yet we're not allowed to hold him to the same standards? They'd get ripped, but somehow he's shouldn't. Doesn't make any sense.

The kid ****** last weeked. It was a big game. It's concerning. Period. End of story.

Last edited by Toast Jones; 01-12-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
They play well together. Compliment each other's strengths. Only issue arises is when neither is on their game, only one of them gets blamed for it.
Correct again. Green told Gruden that he would like to play with Dalton. When Green drops an easy pass for a TD no one says a word. Let Dalton under throw or overthrow him and Dalton is a terrible QB.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8718

Holy CRAP!!! Who cares?

By the way, do you know who Dalton reminds me of?

Wait for it...

Andy Dalton reminds me of Andy Dalton.

No one knows what Dalton is going to turn in to, NO ONE. Let Dalton develop and turn in to who he's going to be. He may lead the Bengals to multiple Super Bowl wins or he may completely regress to a peewee football quarterback. The guy is in his second year and people are acting like he's an 8 year veteran.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10490

Quote:
No they don't. They just don't want him to look like absolute garbage, which he did against Houston.

No one, at least not me, is/was asking for 300 yards and 3 TD's and a 110+ QB rating. But there is no excuse for the performance he put up. This offense scored 1 TD the last 4 weeks of the year. He threw 4 TD's over his last 6 games. There was some concern to be had, and then with that stinker of a game in the playoffs, people are wondering what the hell is going on.

If Tony Romo has the same game Dalton does against Houston does he get ripped? What about Flacco? Eli? Cam Newton? Michael Vick? etc, etc etc. All of those QB get ripped with a performance like that.

Well, everyone thinks Dalton is in that class, maybe even higher (fair enough) so why is he held to a lower standard? Why is not ok for fans here to voice their displeasure when it's ok for fans of other teams to voice theirs?

And spare me the year 2 stuff. All I heard was how good he'd be with a full offseason and another year of seasoning. The kid has 34 starts plus 8 preseason games. Look at what Collin Kapernick is doing right now in the playoffs. Look at what Russell Wilson did last week. Look at the season RG3 had. Andrew Luck had a better playoff performance and he's got less talent on offense. Year 1, 2, 3, 10 there is no excuse for how he looked. He ******.

No one expects Joe Montana. But it's total bs people get labeled as unreasonable for ripping an obvious bust of a showing. People praise Dalton all that time, and get so upset anytime he's not held higher than a guy like a Vick, a Newton, or a Romo, yet we're not allowed to hold him to the same standards? They'd get ripped, but somehow he's shouldn't. Doesn't make any sense.

The kid ****** last weeked. It was a big game. It's concerning. Period. End of story.
If Dalton had Lynch or Gore, it would make his job a lot easier. Nobody thought that Dalton would be the savior when he was drafted. Yea he had an AWFUL game, but that doesn't mean we should get rid of him. The kid has things that he needs to improve on, but he's not garbage.

Romo finally won a playoff game in his 3rd year. Vick was what, 2-6 in the playoffs? I''m not saying that Dalton can't get ripped, but give the kid a chance.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

Eli was 1 and done twice in the playoffs before winning a SB. Flacco has had some terrible playoff games yet the TEAM still wins so Flacco is credited for having a good playoff record, yet until he wins a SB, then that will be the ONLY thing he has. Cam brings attention to himself so that is why he is criticized so much. Vick wasn't criticized as much as Dalton in his early years and didn't receive his criticism until he went to the Eagles and the media kept hyping the team every year he has been there.

No one is saying that you can't critique a player as long as you do it fairly. The whole point is winning in the playoffs is hard. Dalton took us there 2 times in his short career. The Bengals were a 4-12 team that he inherited and he went 9-7 his first year and 10-6 his second year. Sure he is 0-2 in the playoffs, yet the way this team seems to be headed is not only multiple trips to the playoffs and wins but also multiple trips to he SB and maybe even a SB win. Dalton will be a big part of that, once Green and him grow some more.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
If Dalton had Lynch or Gore, it would make his job a lot easier. Nobody thought that Dalton would be the savior when he was drafted. Yea he had an AWFUL game, but that doesn't mean we should get rid of him. The kid has things that he needs to improve on, but he's not garbage.

Romo finally won a playoff game in his 3rd year. Vick was what, 2-6 in the playoffs? I''m not saying that Dalton can't get ripped, but give the kid a chance.
Yeah, having home run threats in the run game sure helps in games.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Happy Pants View Post
I don't blame Peyton for their loss today. Their defense blew a lead with 30 seconds left in the game
Yea, but don't forget that he threw a pick six and the special teams scored 14 of the points through huge kick returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
Yet in the Playoffs he is a let down. If THAT is what Dalton will be like then NO THANK YOU.
To each his own. If Dalton can go 9-10 in the playoffs I'd be ecstatic. That pretty much means a 9-8 record in the postseason from today onward...you seriously wouldn't take that? You're so full of mularkey!

Last edited by Nately120; 01-12-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately120 View Post
Yea, but don't forget that he threw a pick six and the special teams scored 14 of the points through huge kick returns.

To each his own. If Dalton can go 9-10 in the playoffs I'd be ecstatic. That pretty much means a 9-8 record in the postseason from today onward...you seriously wouldn't take that? You're so full of mularkey!
So your saying that you wouldn't mind a QB to just may the playoffs but not win the SB? As long as we have a winning record in the regular season everything is all right.

If you had to choose having Trent Dilfer on your team for 5 years KNOWING that he will win 1 SB (granted with a great Defense) and only go to the playoffs 1 time or Dan Marino on your team for 5 knowing that he will NEVER win a SB even though he would go to the playoffs every year and even make the SB once but just fall short of winning it. I am pretty sure you would take the SB win.

Now I do think Dalton can and will win a SB. I just want his Play Off record to be a winning one with multiple SB appearances and wins.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8524

First of all Andy isn't in the same class as the Manning bros.He hasn't even won a playoff game let alone a SB ring. He doesn't have their pedigree either. Andy has several shortcomings but to point them out is nit picking. All in all he has been a blessing and I'm thankful that he fell into the second rd.
There was a reason that he fell.
Try to take into account that the league is currently very pass friendly & he's throwing to basketball players for most of his numbers and I would say that he is currently exceeding expectations.To say that he is even close to a Manning is a large stretch across an endless ocean.
Hey I like the kid but he needs more competiton to push him other than only having Grad who he knows is there strictly as a back up with no pressure on him.
Look at SF...it's nice to have two good qb's, a few weapons, and a solid D.
A team can go all the way on that combo.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5905

Quote:

Toast never said get rid of him.

Toast never said he was garbage he said he played like garbage in the playoffs 2 years in a row.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5445

Quote:
DItto. And to give up a 70 yd TD with three rushers, and just the way it happened... good grief. I don't feel nearly as bad as a Bengals fan now.
Exactly...if our D gave up that TD with 30 seconds everyone on these boards would have called for the firing of Zimmer...even though that play was wholly on the players themselves....gotta love Bengals fans.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3660

Quote:
People compare him to Eli, not Peyton

Dalton can't hold Peyton's jock strap
First two years vs. first two years, the hell he can!
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

1.) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2.) Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
2.) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
3.) Gabe Jackson, G, Miss St.
4.) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
5.) Jemea Thomas, S, Georgia Tech
6.) Jeff Janis- WR, Saginaw Valley State
6) Compensatory pick- Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
7.) Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorade State
7.) Compensatory pick- Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Difference being of course that Manning took what was otherwise a perennial .500 type team or worse and carried it to the playoffs, whereas Dalton while playing solid for stretches has largely ridden the coattails of a stout defense.
You mean the 4-12 team? Those coat tails? Ridiculous. Everyone and their brother, even those fans on this board, thought they would be 0-16 in his rookie season. Yet, after road wins at Seattle and Tennesse they go 9-7 and make the playoffs. This, without the benefit of OTAs and a normal training camp with an entirely new offense and coach.

Yes, the defense has played very well, but it was Dalton that won the Redskins game. It was Dalton that destroyed the Giants. They don't make the playoffs without those games. And it gave a taste of what he is capable of with a shred of consistency in his receiving corps. Gresham drops 5 balls in a playoff game that hit him in two hands. And that is Dalton's fault? Hawkins stands like a corpse and allows a DB to come from behind him and knock the ball out in a place where he was already 7 yards past the first down marker. Ever heard of coming back to the ball? And that is Dalton's fault? Amazing stuff. He has improved the QB play over the $100 million first overall pick in the draft and has made the playoffs in each of his first two seasons yet some are ready to draft a new QB. Amazing.

With two rookies (Marvin and Sanu) and two second-year players (AJ and Hawkins) as his WRs, a rookie TE, a rookie G, a second year G, and a rookie C for some of the season, this team showed promise along with a lot of inexperience-driven mistakes. They will be significantly better with another year and offseason preparation under their belt. Hell, how much did Sanu and Jones get when Binns and Tate were supposed to be the #2 by committee?

I am 100% behind Dalton.
2014 Bengals Draft: Tougher, Faster, Deeper: Traded #1s with #30 San Fran and picked up an additional 2nd rounder

Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
How on earth could people compare Dalton to Peyton Manning? Because he has as many touchdowns in his first two seasons? Take away AJ and he gets no where close.
Did you happen to see his stretch of games without AJ last year? You know, like the one where he put up 380 yards passing against the Ratbirds in Baltimore?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRacerX View Post
You mean the 4-12 team? Those coat tails? Ridiculous. Everyone and their brother, even those fans on this board, thought they would be 0-16 in his rookie season. Yet, after road wins at Seattle and Tennesse they go 9-7 and make the playoffs. This, without the benefit of OTAs and a normal training camp with an entirely new offense and coach.

Yes, the defense has played very well, but it was Dalton that won the Redskins game. It was Dalton that destroyed the Giants. They don't make the playoffs without those games. And it gave a taste of what he is capable of with a shred of consistency in his receiving corps. Gresham drops 5 balls in a playoff game that hit him in two hands. And that is Dalton's fault? Hawkins stands like a corpse and allows a DB to come from behind him and knock the ball out in a place where he was already 7 yards past the first down marker. Ever heard of coming back to the ball? And that is Dalton's fault? Amazing stuff. He has improved the QB play over the $100 million first overall pick in the draft and has made the playoffs in each of his first two seasons yet some are ready to draft a new QB. Amazing.

With two rookies (Marvin and Sanu) and two second-year players (AJ and Hawkins) as his WRs, a rookie TE, a rookie G, a second year G, and a rookie C for some of the season, this team showed promise along with a lot of inexperience-driven mistakes. They will be significantly better with another year and offseason preparation under their belt. Hell, how much did Sanu and Jones get when Binns and Tate were supposed to be the #2 by committee?

I am 100% behind Dalton.
It's really quite striking how many will forgive his shortcomings as opposed to Gresham and others. Of course it's never all about the QB, but when I hear over and over how he practically needs Pro Bowl caliber talent everywhere around him, I'm inclined to think many here think he's a poorer QB than I do. And by the way, that 4-12 team had nothing to do with Andy. In both his seasons the defense has been top 10, and yes it has overall been more responsible for the team's success than the offense.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1908

Quote:
It's really quite striking how many will forgive his shortcomings as opposed to Gresham and others. Of course it's never all about the QB, but when I hear over and over how he practically needs Pro Bowl caliber talent everywhere around him, I'm inclined to think many here think he's a poorer QB than I do. And by the way, that 4-12 team had nothing to do with Andy. In both his seasons the defense has been top 10, and yes it has overall been more responsible for the team's success than the offense.
They are saying he needs consistent talent not Pro Bowl talent. Look at the games when the line up was the same with Robinson and Sanu, Andy had 3 games in a row with a 100+ rating. All people are saying is give him a consistent group to gel with and he will perform much better. Despite what most think, it takes time to adjust to the NFL level, nearly all of the skill players on offense are first or second year players that have been rotated in and out. Give them consistency and the errors or flaws everyone so eloquently points out will fade and this team will look much better.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1550

Quote:
Speaking for myself, and I would probably guess for a good deal of others as well, it's not just the fact Dalton is 0-2 in the playoffs. It's not at all that simple. It's how he's looked in those two losses. He's looked like garbage.

So people can keep bringing up other guys' playoffs records, or how so and so did in his first two years record wise, but it's not going to change what I think based on what I've seen so far. I see a QB that is average at best, who has played absolutely terrible in the playoffs. He also doesn't appear to have much more of a ceiling physically. He continues to struggle with the deep ball. He gets happy feet. He doesn't seem to see the field well at times. And he fails to show up for big games. (See playoff losses, we won in spite of him vs Pitt, etc.) He also finished off his 2nd year worse than he started his first year. Starts 26-34 looked worse than starts 1-8. He seems to be regressing, or not improving as much as one may hope.

PS 9-10 (basically a .500 record) is a lot different than an 0-fer. I'm not sure how I understand this comparison at all. Peyton wins in the playoffs at about a 50% clip. Peyton has won a Superbowl. And lastly, and most importantly, has Peyton ever performed like Dalton did last weekend in a playoff game. Wins and losses aside, has he ever looked that poorly? (I'm guessing no.)
Not sure how old you are Toasty, but I am an old geezer who was a Browns fan as a young child because there were no Bengals then.

The Bengals have been to two Super Bowls both against the 49ers, and both of them they lost in very close games.

I believe that this current team, has more talent A-Z, than the two SB teams. Now , before you have a conniption, I am saying that they have a young more 'complete' team than the two SB teams. I'm not saying that they have a better QB, RB, TE, etc etc.

There is more natural talent on this team on both sides of the ball than before!

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazz70 View Post
exactly...if our d gave up that td with 30 seconds everyone on these boards would have called for the firing of zimmer...even though that play was wholly on the players themselves....gotta love bengals fans.
+1