Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 348
Default Re: So I'm the only one who doesn't feel that drafting an RB is necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
I'm not sure that BJGE, Peerman, Boom, and Leonard are a quality stable of RBs for a team with Super Bowl aspirations.

There are guys coming out in the draft with far more upside than any of the guys currently on our roster. Mark my words, we signed those FA WRs at the end of the season for a reason. We're going to be looking for a stronger #2 WR, and we'd rather not use a draft pick on one. We're going after the best RB available.
brother, id be one happy mother frikker if we drafted wr patterson and rb bernard. Stick those two playmakers with what we already got and the o could finally be as good as the d. Patterson, green, sanu, jones, hawkins, green ellis, bernard, gresham, charles....a lot of frikkn options there.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24280
bengals Re: So I'm the only one who doesn't feel that drafting an RB is necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerFan View Post
I mean, sure the offense needs help, but I'd draft line, WRs, TE, or even a project QB before I would worry about an RB. Fix the offense line and give them depth and BJGE will rush for 1500 yards next year. Let's not forget he was the most effective weapon on the offense during our playoff game this year.

Furthermore, we do have obvious defensive needs at linebacker and somewhat at DE. Plenty of spots to draft before spending a pick on an RB who will basically give us what BJGE and our other two RBs already do.
Sorry disagree highly. Those 40 yard runs Ellis had would have went for 6 points if it were Bernard, Randle, Gilleslee, etc. this is not a knock on Ellis I think he has done for his skillset. Unfortunately, his skillset does not include finishing straightline speed.

If you are drafting a back that gives you what our current guys have then you are not drafting a back in the right fashion.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025
Default Re: So I'm the only one who doesn't feel that drafting an RB is necessary?

Our biggest need on the offensive side of the ball is our RB situation. Even our offensive coordinator agrees. The line created some huge holes form BJGE and he did a fine job of getting through those, but when you have a DB or S or LB that barely has to run to catch him, you have a problem. I could count 5+ runs that BJGE had that a RB like Barner or Franklin or Bernard or Lacy would have taken to the house. We are extremely slow at RB and it needs to be upgraded. A solid RB tandem could take a TON of pressure off our QB. We need to limit AD's passing to 20 - 25 throws a game. When we rushed the ball well this year, our offense played much better.....Andy played much better!

One of our top three picks will be a running back. I am 100% confident it will be.

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:09 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1173

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't want a COP back. I want a well rounded guy. That would likely mean a 2nd or 3rd rounder. If ones there, pull the trigger.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM
VIP Platinum Member

bengals Re: So I'm the only one who doesn't feel that drafting an RB is necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoADay View Post
I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't want a COP back. I want a well rounded guy. That would likely mean a 2nd or 3rd rounder. If ones there, pull the trigger.
That makes two of us. Give me Randle or Gilleslee. Both would have no problem with 15-20 carries a game. Both have good hands out of the backfield and can pick up a blitz.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoADay View Post
Agree.

I don't want any more of these situational RBs where the defense knows what we're doing based on who is in the game.

We need a guy who is a good all-around back who can play all three downs and be a legit starter.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:08 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
Agree.

I don't want any more of these situational RBs where the defense knows what we're doing based on who is in the game.

We need a guy who is a good all-around back who can play all three downs and be a legit starter.
Exactly so give me Randle or Gilleslee.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
Im not tryna get confrontatioal, im saying this to get a straight answer not to have an argument.

What I got from that statement is basically if it were up to you youd be happy with a average at best, LITERALLY NEVER explosive running attack.

Why in gods name would you wanna run with BJGE, Leonard, and Boom again? This year would literally be repeated next year and probably wed do worse because our schedule is harder.

What I just saw was youre happy with mediocracy. Because yes in todays NFL with all these athletes and total monsters at RB, running with BJGE, Brian, and Boom is TOTALLY MEDIOCRE
My argument for BJGE, Peerman, and Boom: BJGE is your workhorse back. If he goes down, I believe Peerman can carry the load. Mainly though, I'm filling out the roster with respect to special teams, where I feel like Peerman and Boom contribute.

BJGE had what, 3 consecutive 100 yard rushing games this year? He's broken off big runs which is something I haven't seen an RB do for us in a long time. And frankly, most of the games where he isn't productive, I'd fault the line. That's why I feel like drafting or further developing our line and the depth on it is the priority.

Finally, as for 'not taking it all the way to the house' maybe you have a point, but I'll still take an RB who can break off a 40 yard run over some unproven guy. And while I realize RBs don't have a long life span in the NFL BJGE is only 27.

Other thing I believe: if we had handed the ball to BJGE more in Houston game, we would've won that game. 11 carries, 63 yards. I'm embarrassed by how stubbornly this team refuses to do what works sometimes.

Anyways, in conclusion I'll say no, I don't want mediocrity for this team. And if we draft an RB, I will trust the coaches and my fellow fans and hope that RB brings us to new heights. However, if we don't I see a lot of paths to improving this team. I do want to repeat this year in terms of going at least 10-6. And I'm not convinced that next year's schedule is tougher than we thought this year's would be.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

BJGE is not fast enough and does not have the best hands. We need a better all around back who is big and fast.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
You have to think that Marv and the FO is waiting to pounce on Lacy. That is the everydown guy they are craving.

One thing good about Boom is he showed he can play ST's and that is good. He can be that 3rd/4th back that we never see on O. I'm almost for drafting two backs, Lacy and maybe Barner. BJGE, Lacy, Barner. I'll take it.

The motto for this offseason should be "builds the running game cause we cant's throw it."

1st - Vaccaro FS
2nd - Lacy RB
2nd - Fredrick C
3rd - J.Collins LB,
4th - Barner RB/KR
I looked at your draft list, and think they would be great picsk, but after the way Lacy ran the ball, you may have to switch Vaccaro and Lacy. Either way, I would be so happy, I could not type right.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president