Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1014
Default I want someone to SELL me on drafting....

a WR in the first 2 or 3 rounds!

I haven't been open to drafting a WR early, but after reviewing our offense, I guess I would be for it. AJ Green is all we have that is a top talent. Marvin Jones seemed like he was starting to make a statement but the season came to an end. Andrew Hawkins is a slot receiver and outside of a few games, did not really have too much of an effect on our offense this year. Mo Sanu was playing very well until he got hurt. I definitely see him starting for us next year. Brandon Tate will hopefully not be with us next year. Jermaine Gresham is a good tight end, not great, but he doesnt **** like many on here think. He is not a blocker, so why do we continue to use him as one. Orson Charles did not really do too much, but there were some good plays that he was involved in.

Its pretty clear we need a couple more pieces for our Offense to really take off. A RB is a definite need. Our WR situation could use one more big piece. Where does Jones fit in? Sanu? Hawkins? if we draft another WR?

1.) Who are the top WR's in this years draft?
2.) What round should we draft a WR in?

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 390
Default Re: I want someone to SELL me on drafting....

The question is are there any receivers worth drafting early, that would justify ignoring our needs? Would you draft Robert Woods over Alec Ogletree? Would you take Justin Hunter over Manti Teo or a SS?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

The interest rates on WR's are at a forty year low. When you take into consideration that WR typically offers the greatest ROI only a sucker wouldn't invest in a WR right now...

okay, there's my sales pitch.

I'm a fan of DeAndre Hopkins at 2a or even in the first. I think we can make a luxury pick do to having the Raider's early 2nd. I like both Sanu and Jones. However, Hopkins is superior to both IMO. A possesion WR that can stretch the field. Perfect compliment to AJ. Plus, in a pass dominanted league a good OC will find a way to utilize all of his weapons so Hopkins, Sanu, Jones and Hawkins should still all see plenty of PT
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

If you look back at the 05' team when our offense was at its peak we had weapons everywhere. Who could teams double and stop that passing game? If you took Chad away Housh would kill you and doubling both made Henry a matchup nightmare. Fast forward to this year and teams are able to take Aj away without being threatened by another playmaker beating them. The game against Houston proved that. Don't get me wrong Jones and Sanu are talented but I dont think they are explosive enough yet to give defenses
problems. I think Sanu would create major problems for defenses on the inside ala Chris Henry. The jurys still out on Jones but I dont see him becoming a Chad type of talent.
Two recievers in the draft that I think would blow the top off this offense are Corderalle Patterson or Quinton Patton they are both very explosive players and would make teams pay doubling Aj. The 05' team had Brat making the calls.lol
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2951

Save it for next year.

Trade all picks to move into the Top Five.
Draft Marqise Lee.
???
Profit.

Adrian "All Day" Peterson
Old 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8502

No way! Sanu is our guy for the present and future.

Cincinnati Bengals 2013 AFC North Champs
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

It's the biggest need on our team.

Our offense *****.

We have a young QB who struggled at times because he has no weapons and we need him to be successful if we are going to accomplish anything.

Whenever the bengals have been good in the past, they have had two pro- bowl caliber WRs.

It's a passing league and we need to be able to put lots of points on the board in order to keep up with contending teams. We have trouble just scoring one offensive TD in a game.

Having a starting caliber WR will open up the entire offense by allowing guys like Sanu to be the role players they are more suited to so they will be more effective.

And there will be several excellent WRs available when we pick.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 43197

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlesmiley View Post
If you look back at the 05' team when our offense was at its peak we had weapons everywhere. Who could teams double and stop that passing game? If you took Chad away Housh would kill you and doubling both made Henry a matchup nightmare. Fast forward to this year and teams are able to take Aj away without being threatened by another playmaker beating them. The game against Houston proved that. Don't get me wrong Jones and Sanu are talented but I dont think they are explosive enough yet to give defenses
problems. I think Sanu would create major problems for defenses on the inside ala Chris Henry. The jurys still out on Jones but I dont see him becoming a Chad type of talent.
Two recievers in the draft that I think would blow the top off this offense are Corderalle Patterson or Quinton Patton they are both very explosive players and would make teams pay doubling Aj. The 05' team had Brat making the calls.lol

I get what you are saying, but you have your comparisons mixed up. Sanu is more like a Houshmanzadeh type than he is a Chris Henry type of player. We could easily find a tall reciever that is good at running in a straight line, in the later rounds.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post

I haven't been open to drafting a WR early, but after reviewing our offense, I guess I would be for it. AJ Green is all we have that is a top talent. Marvin Jones seemed like he was starting to make a statement but the season came to an end. Andrew Hawkins is a slot receiver and outside of a few games, did not really have too much of an effect on our offense this year. Mo Sanu was playing very well until he got hurt. I definitely see him starting for us next year. Brandon Tate will hopefully not be with us next year. Jermaine Gresham is a good tight end, not great, but he doesnt **** like many on here think. He is not a blocker, so why do we continue to use him as one. Orson Charles did not really do too much, but there were some good plays that he was involved in.

Its pretty clear we need a couple more pieces for our Offense to really take off. A RB is a definite need. Our WR situation could use one more big piece. Where does Jones fit in? Sanu? Hawkins? if we draft another WR?

I say find a WR in FA. If o WR falls into our laps, that's a different story. But for crying out loud, fill that hole without having to hope a rookie can do it.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 0

The draft is my favorite part of the year and this is actually one of the strongest draft classes for wr in awhile.this would be my top ten in order

1. Keenan Allen- has scary similarities to aj green
2. Justin hunter- bolden 2.0
3. Deandre Hopkins- this would be my choice in second round
4. Tavon Austin- another Percy harvin
5. Terrance Williams- solid wr a lot of potential.
6. Robert woods- solid wr but time will tell if he was system wr
7. Da'rick Rogers- has size and speed to be good, Ocho cinco mini
8. Stedman bailey- another product that made geno look so good
9. Cobi Hamilton- big dude plaxico potential
10. Kenny stills- possession wr

IMO Hopkins is best for us
Austin is the fastest coming out
There's about 7 number 1 Wrs coming out
Old 01-13-2013, 03:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6377

It was brutally obvious that WR is one of the weakest positions on this team this year.

The nice part is that I don't think you need to spend a first rounder on a WR this year because almost all of them are graded pretty equal and are more than likely to be around in the 2nd round.

Sell you on drafting a WR?

1. Until we get a deep threat, burner, playmaker across from AJ, he will see double teams constantly.
2. The middle of the field will be closed off until we get another WR that teams respect because they don't have to dedicate 2 safeties to double our WRs. They can keep one in the middle of the field.
3. Having another legit WR would keep defenses from creeping 8 men in the box.
4. Another WR would make teams pay for blitzing.
5. It would enhance the running game significantly.
6. It should make Dalton's development much better.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post

It's pretty obvious we need another WR after watching what Atlanta's WR's have been able to do today.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgybaby84 View Post
The draft is my favorite part of the year and this is actually one of the strongest draft classes for wr in awhile.this would be my top ten in order

1. Keenan Allen- has scary similarities to aj green
2. Justin hunter- bolden 2.0
3. Deandre Hopkins- this would be my choice in second round
4. Tavon Austin- another Percy harvin
5. Terrance Williams- solid wr a lot of potential.
6. Robert woods- solid wr but time will tell if he was system wr
7. Da'rick Rogers- has size and speed to be good, Ocho cinco mini
8. Stedman bailey- another product that made geno look so good
9. Cobi Hamilton- big dude plaxico potential
10. Kenny stills- possession wr

IMO Hopkins is best for us
Austin is the fastest coming out
There's about 7 number 1 Wrs coming out

Quinton Patton is better than ALOT of those WR's you just mentioned.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

I just can't rally a sales pitch for WR in the early rounds.

I feel much more strongly that if the Bengals draft well at the fundemental positions, blockers and tacklers, that the WRs already on the roster will look much better.

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraNirvana View Post
No way! Sanu is our guy for the present and future.

How many times does tit take for you guys to realize that SANU isa slot receiver ONLY. he's not a legit #2 WR.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I get what you are saying, but you have your comparisons mixed up. Sanu is more like a Houshmanzadeh type than he is a Chris Henry type of player. We could easily find a tall reciever that is good at running in a straight line, in the later rounds.
I wasn't really comparing Sanu to Henry's skill set I was looking at it from more of a matchup standpoint with Sanu inside. I think we have 2 good ones just think we need that 3rd on the outside. I like babyhawk but he seems more of gadget player to me.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 118

We should NOT draft a WR early, unless everybody that we wanted and needed are gone and they are absolutely the BPA. If we go after a receiver it should be in FA. We don't need more talented youth to come in at that position, we need a veteran ( Jennings, Hartline, etc ) who could come in and be an onfield coach. Teach the young kids how to read a defense, how the hot route should be run, timing, precise route running and what it takes to be a very good reliable receiver. There are other positions of NEED that I believe will help us more right away.
@ BBlesmiley your argument lacks severely. As Sunset pointed out you are comparing wrong WR to each other. Not only that but you do know that Chad And TJ were in the league for 4 years already right? If you look at there second year Boone was askingg TJ to be our #2 receiver. Henry was a rookie but all we really asked from him was to run a go route all the time. Not too hard to do. The receivers now are asked to know every position and all routes. If you ask me it breaks down like this.

AJ > Cha
Sanu ( with his versatility and great hands) will be > TJ
Jones might not have the top end speed of Henry but is a better overall receiver.
You add a vet and you are looking a lot better than that 05 team. And we can't forget what Hawkins gives us. See me in 3 yrs and see how good this receiving core is.

WhoDey4ever!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdaddy08 View Post
We should NOT draft a WR early, unless everybody that we wanted and needed are gone and they are absolutely the BPA. If we go after a receiver it should be in FA. We don't need more talented youth to come in at that position, we need a veteran ( Jennings, Hartline, etc ) who could come in and be an onfield coach. Teach the young kids how to read a defense, how the hot route should be run, timing, precise route running and what it takes to be a very good reliable receiver. There are other positions of NEED that I believe will help us more right away.
@ BBlesmiley your argument lacks severely. As Sunset pointed out you are comparing wrong WR to each other. Not only that but you do know that Chad And TJ were in the league for 4 years already right? If you look at there second year Boone was askingg TJ to be our #2 receiver. Henry was a rookie but all we really asked from him was to run a go route all the time. Not too hard to do. The receivers now are asked to know every position and all routes. If you ask me it breaks down like this.

AJ > Cha
Sanu ( with his versatility and great hands) will be > TJ
Jones might not have the top end speed of Henry but is a better overall receiver.
You add a vet and you are looking a lot better than that 05 team. And we can't forget what Hawkins gives us. See me in 3 yrs and see how good this receiving core is.

WhoDey4ever!!!
Sanu and Jones have not proven anything yet. Comparing them to other WR's who done something is stupid.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Sanu and Jones have not proven anything yet. Comparing them to other WR's who done something is stupid.
Read the post again. I only compared because BB started the comparison. I also pointed out that Chad and TJ were vets while ours were all rookies and second year receivers. So I put in my two cents of what I think will happen in three years when our guys will be in the league 4 years. It was a comparison of what they are at the same time of their careers. But thank you for the very insightful comment.

WhoDey4ever!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdaddy08 View Post
Read the post again. I only compared because BB started the comparison. I also pointed out that Chad and TJ were vets while ours were all rookies and second year receivers. So I put in my two cents of what I think will happen in three years when our guys will be in the league 4 years. It was a comparison of what they are at the same time of their careers. But thank you for the very insightful comment.

WhoDey4ever!!!

You never know what's going to happen in the NFL, Sanu and Jones may not even be on the team or even in the league then. With so many players and concussions anymore it's really a toss up.

And I know what you were saying, I just think it's silly for anyone to compare these players to anyone yet when they haven't proven a thing to this date.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37729

Chris Harper out of K-State is bigger than Sanu and Faster than M.Jones.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:00 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Here's your late round, small school sleeper.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...randon-kaufman

Here come's the....BOOM!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Here's your late round, small school sleeper.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...randon-kaufman
Another player whose had season ending injuries, no thanks. I'd take Mellette over him any day.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7952

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Chris Harper out of K-State is bigger than Sanu and Faster than M.Jones.
Whats his 40 time? I know he's a talented kid was originally a QB I think. Similar to Jordy Nelson when he began his career at KSU.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37729

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
Whats his 40 time? I know he's a talented kid was originally a QB I think. Similar to Jordy Nelson when he began his career at KSU.
mid 4.4