Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

View Poll Results: Jones on the board at 21?
Yes 18 41.86%
No 5 11.63%
Yes, but we wouldn't take him 20 46.51%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 157
Default Will Barrett Jones be there at 21?

I think he could be a great pick for this team as a center/guard. Probably would end up playing center. The question is, will he last until then? Pick up Jones then focus the rest of the draft on S, RB, WR, OLB in that order.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 96
Default Re: Will Barrett Jones be there at 21?

I don't know. Free agency could be a solution. I just feel like we really can't speculate too well until knowing how aggressive the front office will be in the free agent market.

With the money they are said to have on hand, along with the position their in. Its time to stop putting cheap parts on this car and start getting the best of the best.

We all like saving money but when you are on the cusp of taking over the AFC North and making a possible Superbowl run. You can't penny pinch.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

He will be there but we won't take him. I think Green Bay takes him in the 1st tho.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9005

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
He will be there but we won't take him. I think Green Bay takes him in the 1st tho.
Walters has him falling to #36 to the Lions. That's one pick before Cincy at #37 in the second.
He is the most polished & intelligent O-lineman in this draft. He immediately makes whetever team that drafts him instantly better on the field and off.
He is one of the very few truly impactful players in this draft.I would be overjoyed if Cincy drafted him.
Walters has Cincy grabbing Bernard at #37 which luckily is another prospect that could be truly impactful.
Great numbers and instincts but doesn't possess blazing speed or overpowering size.
Man it's tough but I want Barrett. RB's can be found in FA or 3-4 rds..imo
I don't like Walters mock for our first pick Montgomery...I'm not sold on him.
I voted no at #21 but at #37 heck yes.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 01-13-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:55 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290

If we don't take him at 21, we sure as hell better draft a center at 2a or 2b. The guy we have now looks like an UDFA.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 PM
VIP Member

I think we should draft Travis Frederick C/G Wisc in the 2nd rd

Last edited by pulses; 01-13-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
He's probably my next choice.He's versatile and the team needs help stopping the rush up the middle.I think we can all agree on that assessment.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
He's probably my next choice.He's versatile and the team needs help stopping the rush up the middle.I think we can all agree on that assessment.

Yeah that's why I want us to draft Frederick and Warford.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24280
bengals Re: Will Barrett Jones be there at 21?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhodey77 View Post
I think he could be a great pick for this team as a center/guard. Probably would end up playing center. The question is, will he last until then? Pick up Jones then focus the rest of the draft on S, RB, WR, OLB in that order.
I think Jones is a very good lineman however if you watch the Georgia game you may notice something. He struggles badly when you place a big NT directly over him. That could be an issue in our division.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
I think Jones is a very good lineman however if you watch the Georgia game you may notice something. He struggles badly when you place a big NT directly over him. That could be an issue in our division.
Played most of the game with a lisfranc injury and when they decided to run it in the second half it was right at John Jenkins,Jarvis Jones, and Ogletree.
Lacy,Yeldon, and Bama's O-line was very effective in that game.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 01-14-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

There is no way we take him at 21, especially if Ogletree is there. LB is a much bigger need right now then Center. If he is there at 37, then maybe. There were some games throughout the season when Jones did not look all that impressive. I know he played with an injury towards the end of the season but he got manhandled quite a bit. But then again, playing in the SEC, that will happen. I think I would rather wait and see what Frederick does and if he is there at 2B.

1 - LB - Ogletree
2 - RB - Lacy
2B - OL / WR / S - either one

With Cook getting his extension, I really do not see why the bengals would address that issue so early in the draft. We would all love to see that position addressed, but I just do not see it happening!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
There is no way we take him at 21, especially if Ogletree is there. LB is a much bigger need right now then Center. If he is there at 37, then maybe. There were some games throughout the season when Jones did not look all that impressive. I know he played with an injury towards the end of the season but he got manhandled quite a bit. But then again, playing in the SEC, that will happen. I think I would rather wait and see what Frederick does and if he is there at 2B.

1 - LB - Ogletree
2 - RB - Lacy
2B - OL / WR / S - either one

With Cook getting his extension, I really do not see why the bengals would address that issue so early in the draft. We would all love to see that position addressed, but I just do not see it happening!
We're not going to reach for a LB just because you think it might be a need right now before free agency or the off-season has even started.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
We're not going to reach for a LB just because you think it might be a need right now before free agency or the off-season has even started.

Hahaha what are you talking about? LB is by far our biggest need in this years draft / FA period. Would you like to resign Maualuga and watch him hold back our team? Ogletree is projected in the first round. I highly doubt it would be a reach by any means. I am basing a LB off no FA activity. If they sign a LB via FA then I would change who is taken in the first round. But seeing how this thread does not specifiy whether or not there will be any FA moves, I based it off our biggest need. In this certain scenario, BPA and Need seems to match up for the Bengals, a la, Alec Ogletree!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3245

TAKE HIM, Cook *****!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hahaha what are you talking about? LB is by far our biggest need in this years draft / FA period. Would you like to resign Maualuga and watch him hold back our team? Ogletree is projected in the first round. I highly doubt it would be a reach by any means. I am basing a LB off no FA activity. If they sign a LB via FA then I would change who is taken in the first round. But seeing how this thread does not specifiy whether or not there will be any FA moves, I based it off our biggest need. In this certain scenario, BPA and Need seems to match up for the Bengals, a la, Alec Ogletree!
We had one of the worst offenses in the NFL. We scored one offensive TD in the last three games (and that was against backups) and something like six TDs in the last seven games. And you think LB is the biggest need?

So we get a really good LB. Then maybe we can lose games 17-10 instead of 19-10!

Wow.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
We had one of the worst offenses in the NFL. We scored one offensive TD in the last three games (and that was against backups) and something like six TDs in the last seven games. And you think LB is the biggest need?

So we get a really good LB. Then maybe we can lose games 17-10 instead of 19-10!

Wow.
So by drafting Barret Jones @ 21 will take us from 22nd ranked offense (which is not "one of the worst offenses") to a top 10 offense! Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no! We are two - three pieces away from becoming that good of an offense.

Barrett Jones would be a reach at 21. IF he is there in the second, and I mean IF, then yes, maybe you look into it, but he is not the BPA nor is he an IMMEDIATE need for the Bengals at 21.

In your opinion, which is the bigger need? LB or a Center?

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

If he is I do not want him. Linebacker/safety is a bigger concern plus I wouldn't mind seeing what Robinson can do in training camp. I do not think the Bengals will resign Maualuga (nor do I want them to) which makes linebacker a need in this draft. If Ogletree is there at 21 I say take him, but if not draft running back eddie lacy. Then with the two 2nd round picks, focus on the safety (good depth this year)/wait and see if Jones falls.

That is my opinion which means absolutely nothing lol.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

Quote:

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290

Quote:
SCORING POINTS is our biggest need right now. But I agree LB also needs an upgrade.

One offensive TD in the last 3 games?!?!?! C'mon man!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvllbuck View Post
SCORING POINTS is our biggest need right now. But I agree LB also needs an upgrade.

One offensive TD in the last 3 games?!?!?! C'mon man!

Look, I understand that we need to score more points. 22nd ranked offense isnt going to get this team to the Super Bowl. What I do know is that drafting Barrett Jones with our 21st overall pick is not the answer. Will it help? Absolutely. Will it make us a more dominant offense? Maybe. Will we score a ton more points? Not necessarily. The offense is a couple pieces away.

We NEED a WR to compliment AJ
We NEED a RB who will be a threat
We NEED a LB to replace Rey (who by the way was the worst LB in the league).
We NEED a Safety to take over for Chris Crocker

I think most people on here would agree that those are our 4 biggest NEEDS this offseason.

Answer these questions for me.
1.) Is Barrett Jones the Best Player Available for us at 21?
2.) Is the Center position an Immediate Need for us at 21?

In MY OPINION (and we all have our own opinion which I respectfully undestand), I think taking Jones at 21 would be a bad idea. LB and RB and maybe even Safety may be the better option to go with. If Jones is there with 2A or 2B, then maybe!

One offensive TD in the last three games is frekin unbelievable. But you cannot put that on our Center position. That is due to the lack of weapons for Dalton and an uncreative playbook from Gruden.

Here Us......ROAR!!!

Last edited by Stewee28; 01-14-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
So by drafting Barret Jones @ 21 will take us from 22nd ranked offense (which is not "one of the worst offenses") to a top 10 offense! Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no! We are two - three pieces away from becoming that good of an offense.

Barrett Jones would be a reach at 21. IF he is there in the second, and I mean IF, then yes, maybe you look into it, but he is not the BPA nor is he an IMMEDIATE need for the Bengals at 21.

O-Line.

Not even close.

But I don't draft for need. The goal should be to acquire the most talented players you possibly can.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20599

Quote:

Andy Dalton says C.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3245

I'm ok with either Safety or Center with the first pick i don't see a huge need for LB. Burfict can play in the middle, I believe Howard is still under contract? I know Brandon Joiner will be on the roster as well, and who knows what a healthy Dontay Moch can do. I think we can get a LB via FA.

I think with our second pick we go RB.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24280
bengals Re: Will Barrett Jones be there at 21?

Quote:
Linebacker is also a position that could easily be a strength before the draft. What I would do for what it is worth.

1) Burfict moves to the middle where he should be.

2) I would have Guenther RIGHT NOW start working with Taylor Mays on a transition to WLB. He is physical enough and has more speed than any LB you are going to find. His coverage issues lie with WRs in open space. He has shown he can lockdown TEs and RBs. Our LB issues were in coverage in the short field where we got beat up badly.

3) Re-sign Thomas Howard and convert him to SLB. There is no reason he could not make this move smoothly. He is strong against the run and very good in coverage. Now the question would be is he going to be 100% healthy? See 4)

4) Sign Justin Durant in FA. Durant would be your insurance policy at SLB in the event Howard is not healthy. If Howard is healthy then you are in prime position as you could have Durant start at SLB and move Howard back to WLB at the very least you have outstanding depth at the position.

5) Skuta should as well be re-signed.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35053

Quote:
This is who I want!!!!