Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 AM
ExtraNirvana's Avatar
ExtraNirvana ExtraNirvana is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,195
Rep Points: 8916
Default Darrin Simmons

Some of you call for Simmons head every year but you guys have been awfully quiet this year...

I guess ill get things rolling...Forks anyone?


" Simmons, in the running for NFL Special Teams Coach of the Year, got a franchise year from punter Kevin Huber, an NFL top seven season from cornerback Adam Jones at punt return, and an AFC Special Teams Player of the Month December from new kicker Josh Brown."
__________________


Cincinnati Bengals 2013 AFC North Champs
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 AM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,727
Rep Points: 18414
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

He still lets Tate return some punts and that negates all other accomplishments.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,229
Rep Points: 7676
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
He still lets Tate return some punts and that negates all other accomplishments.
Is that Simmons' or Marvin's call?
__________________

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 AM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,727
Rep Points: 18414
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Is that Simmons' or Marvin's call?
I assume Simmons makes that call because he's the special teams coach.

It's kind of like picking me first in dodgeball............... it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM
AlaskanHero AlaskanHero is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 329
Rep Points: 886
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

The rationale behind using Tate on punts has already been explained. To reiterate it: If Jones is on the field, playing defense, he's not going to be terribly fresh when it comes time to return the punt. Thus Tate. I question if that's the right move, but it is what it is and I see the logic in it.

To me that's reason enough to look for a dedicated returner in the draft. Better a good, compentant, full time kick and punt returner than splitting snaps between a guy who does it well (Jones) and a guy who ranges from mediocre to abysmal (Tate).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,727
Rep Points: 18414
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanHero View Post
The rationale behind using Tate on punts has already been explained. To reiterate it: If Jones is on the field, playing defense, he's not going to be terribly fresh when it comes time to return the punt. Thus Tate. I question if that's the right move, but it is what it is and I see the logic in it.

To me that's reason enough to look for a dedicated returner in the draft. Better a good, compentant, full time kick and punt returner than splitting snaps between a guy who does it well (Jones) and a guy who ranges from mediocre to abysmal (Tate).
And the rationale against that rationale has already been rationally explained.

To reiterate it: Jones at 80% (maybe even less) is better than Tate at 100%, plus he doesn't need to be 100% to call for fair catch or, better yet, to stand at the ten yard line and just let any balls over his head bounce into the endzone, both of which situations I would like better than Tate returning punts.

Jones calling fair catch every play or letting it go inside the ten would be better than Tate.

Hell, me sitting in my wheelchair at the ten and calling fair catch or letting it go if it's over my head would be better than Tate.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,421
Rep Points: 31794
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraNirvana View Post
Some of you call for Simmons head every year but you guys have been awfully quiet this year...

I guess ill get things rolling...Forks anyone?


" Simmons, in the running for NFL Special Teams Coach of the Year, got a franchise year from punter Kevin Huber, an NFL top seven season from cornerback Adam Jones at punt return, and an AFC Special Teams Player of the Month December from new kicker Josh Brown."
anyone that wants Simmons Fired.. Should just quit watching football Because they have NO CLUE
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,421
Rep Points: 31794
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
and the rationale against that rationale has already been rationally explained.

To reiterate it: Jones at 80% (maybe even less) is better than tate at 100%, plus he doesn't need to be 100% to call for fair catch or, better yet, to stand at the ten yard line and just let any balls over his head bounce into the endzone, both of which situations i would like better than tate returning punts.

Jones calling fair catch every play or letting it go inside the ten would be better than tate.

Hell, me sitting in my wheelchair at the ten and calling fair catch or letting it go if it's over my head would be better than tate.
false. and close to losing rep.
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,727
Rep Points: 18414
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
false. and close to losing rep.
Ok, explain how it's false.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM
BengalRugby's Avatar
BengalRugby BengalRugby is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Living in your head
Posts: 11,237
Rep Points: 21787
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

He still lets Tate return some punts and that negates all other accomplishments.

+1
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 AM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,421
Rep Points: 31794
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Ok, explain how it's false.
How many of those Kickoffs did Pacman field cleanly in the playoff game ZERO
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 AM
bengalfan74's Avatar
bengalfan74 bengalfan74 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,515
Rep Points: 16332
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
He still lets Tate return some punts and that negates all other accomplishments.
Exactly, but is that Marvin ??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM
bengalfan74's Avatar
bengalfan74 bengalfan74 is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,515
Rep Points: 16332
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
How many of those Kickoffs did Pacman field cleanly in the playoff game ZERO
All I know is this, there's only one punt return man in the history of the game that's fielded multiple punts inside the 5 yard line and still has a job !!

This isn't aimed at Simmons, I think he's one of our better coaches, but I believe he gets overuled by a higher authority.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,421
Rep Points: 31794
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan74 View Post
All I know is this, there's only one punt return man in the history of the game that's fielded multiple punts inside the 5 yard line and still has a job !!

This isn't aimed at Simmons, I think he's one of our better coaches, but I believe he gets overuled by a higher authority.
We have had one of the Better ST's units in the league for at least the last 3 years.

Tate Returns kicks because Adam Jones is used Heavily on Defense.

I dont understand why its so hard for so many fans to understand this.
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM
urinalcake's Avatar
urinalcake urinalcake is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 638
Rep Points: 1551
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
It's kind of like picking me first in dodgeball............... it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
You'd be a great coach tho

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Shake n Blake's Avatar
Shake n Blake Shake n Blake is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Homers gonna home
Posts: 13,566
Rep Points: 28541
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Everyone who is mad at Simmons for keeping Tate out there should also me angry with Marv.

Marv is obviously cool with it. In fact, I bet Tate will still be out there returning for us next year.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
If you think Dalton will average 25 passes per game, put your money where your mouth is. I'll even make it easy on you.

If Dalton averages over 30 passes per game in 2014, I win. If he averages less than 30, you win. Loser can't post in any Dalton threads for 1 year. You game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by umkubas View Post
Yes, log it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,727
Rep Points: 18414
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
How many of those Kickoffs did Pacman field cleanly in the playoff game ZERO
We're not talking about kickoffs, we're talking about punts, which Pacman fielded one.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM
ExtraNirvana's Avatar
ExtraNirvana ExtraNirvana is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,195
Rep Points: 8916
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Great coverage on special teams, blocked punts, fake punts on 4th down, replacing your kicker mid-season and getting your punter to play at a high level is some of what Darrin Simmons and his crew have accomplished this season.

It should all just be erased though because Tate returns kicks. (I'm in no way supportive of Tate when it comes to returns.)


Jungle Noise
__________________


Cincinnati Bengals 2013 AFC North Champs
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 PM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,727
Rep Points: 18414
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraNirvana View Post
Great coverage on special teams, blocked punts, fake punts on 4th down, replacing your kicker mid-season and getting your punter to play at a high level is some of what Darrin Simmons and his crew have accomplished this season.

It should all just be erased though because Tate returns kicks. (I'm in no way supportive of Tate when it comes to returns.)


Jungle Noise
When he starts a guy continually that makes mistakes that run the risk of costing us games, then yes, it is all erased, because the job of special teams is to not give the other team good field position, don't give your team bad field position, and don't turn the ball over.

Special teams aren't difficult, but they can cost a team a game very easily.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,421
Rep Points: 31794
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
When he starts a guy continually that makes mistakes that run the risk of costing us games, then yes, it is all erased, because the job of special teams is to not give the other team good field position, don't give your team bad field position, and don't turn the ball over.

Special teams aren't difficult, but they can cost a team a game very easily.
Other than TATE there really was no one that could field those Kicks...

A Jones is more important on D.
M Jones couldnt handle it
Hawkins cant field the ball

Who do you want Simmons to put back there... He doesnt get final say in the roster.
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,421
Rep Points: 31794
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
We're not talking about kickoffs, we're talking about punts, which Pacman fielded one.
Convenient Hmmmmm....

Again A Jones was more important on Defense to use... When we use him on returns we generally lose him to his hammy.

And Pacman or A Jones fielded Punts in many games. Tate just got the deep ones.
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
ExtraNirvana's Avatar
ExtraNirvana ExtraNirvana is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,195
Rep Points: 8916
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
When he starts a guy continually that makes mistakes that run the risk of costing us games, then yes, it is all erased, because the job of special teams is to not give the other team good field position, don't give your team bad field position, and don't turn the ball over.

Special teams aren't difficult, but they can cost a team a game very easily.

I agree that Tate needs to be replaced and he is costly. Put that aside though for the moment and look at the level these guys played at. We get a solid returner and our special teams is golden.

I would bet that Tate isn't gonna be back returning kicks anyways in this upcoming season.
__________________


Cincinnati Bengals 2013 AFC North Champs
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
bradfritz21's Avatar
bradfritz21 bradfritz21 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 10,727
Rep Points: 18414
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Other than TATE there really was no one that could field those Kicks...

A Jones is more important on D.
M Jones couldnt handle it
Hawkins cant field the ball

Who do you want Simmons to put back there... He doesnt get final say in the roster.
Jones is more important on D, but he has enough energy to go back there and, if nothing else, just wave his arm and call for a fair catch.

If a team punts, that generally means that they weren't on the field that long. If they had gotten the first down, Pacman would be on the field covering receivers anyways.

He doesn't get final say in the roster, but he could plead Marvin or Mike, or just put Jones back there. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Convenient Hmmmmm....

Again A Jones was more important on Defense to use... When we use him on returns we generally lose him to his hammy.

And Pacman or A Jones fielded Punts in many games. Tate just got the deep ones.
Convenient? We're talking about punts............ you act like I'm avoiding some big point.

Since you brought it up, though, he Pacman didn't do too bad on kickoff returns in that game.

You're weakening your argument.
__________________
http://bradfritz.org/

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM
THEBURG THEBURG is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,398
Rep Points: 7448
bengals Re: Darrin Simmons

After reading these posts, I agree with everything, except fire Simmons, the problem could have been solved with Shipley, everyone said Tate was kept because of his return ability, wasn't Shipley a return guy at Texas, and a few times his rookie year, seems that would have been the only move to make, unless of course, Shipley wasn't healed enough to return kicks, after his injury.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-14-2013, 04:49 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 33,421
Rep Points: 31794
Default Re: Darrin Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBURG View Post
After reading these posts, I agree with everything, except fire Simmons, the problem could have been solved with Shipley, everyone said Tate was kept because of his return ability, wasn't Shipley a return guy at Texas, and a few times his rookie year, seems that would have been the only move to make, unless of course, Shipley wasn't healed enough to return kicks, after his injury.
So your gonna have a guy recovering from a torn ACL & MCL returning kicks?

I would have liked to stash him on our roster but we had an extreme lack of talent other than AJ and i guess they choose healthy bodies Over past production.
__________________

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.