Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7956
bengals Resigning JOhnson and Atkins are the KEY off season moves needed.

We need to keep Michael Johnson even if we need to franchise tag him, but I'ld rather see us just sign him up longer than a year. .....Geno Atkins can be a free agent after next season and you don't want that. We may have other DTs but not like Geno. He is a Pro Bowl and possible Hall of Fame DT at a level we have never had including Mike Reid...Geno is like an Alan Page or Bob Lilly or Mean Joe Green at DT and locking him into a long term contract is important.

Now Dave Lapham says Bengals may not be able to pay big money to Andre Smith and resign Geno the same off season....well then....good-bye Andre Smith because we need Geno alot more.... If it comes down between the two, Atkins is alot better at his position than Smith is at his.

If we resign Michael Johnson and Geno Atkins to stay with Peko and Dunlap then we maintain one of the best young defensive lines in the NFL, and thats a good thing to have if you want play-off wins and Super Bowls. .....now Rey Maualuga and Andre Smith may or may not be back. Other starters up for free agency are Crocker, Nugent, Huber....I know these players have fans, as do all the players off the bench. CBs Newman, Clements and Jones are all up for free agency, but Hall is a starter and I'm sure Kirkpatrick as our 2012 top pick is slated to be a starter, so we may lose some of the CBs ......I think we can keep and resign some or most of our own players...BUT IN THE END....THE MAIN THING is to keep Michael Johnson and lock up Geno Atkins past next season.....We do that, and anything else is icing on the cake.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:40 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3707
Default Re: Resigning JOhnson and Atkins are the KEY off season moves needed.

Yeah there definitly isnt ANY thread about this on this board...

Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 154

Can't helP but feel smith is #1 resign priority even before mj but not by much

1st Round- BPA that falls ie. Warmack(long shot) or one of the top DE of OT, starting to like Rhodes, CB, FSU
2A Round- Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama
2B Round- Eddie Lacy, RB, USC
3rd Round- Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
4th Round- Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma
5th Round- Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
6th Round-
7th Round-
Free Agent- Dominique Rogers Cromartie CB
Paul Kruger OLB
Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMAHABENGAL54 View Post
Smith will probly be easier to get a deal done with...

Mj Probly gets a Tag.. (cant let him leave already need to replace geathers.)

Geno a 5 year extenstion...(this doesnt have to be rushed just before the season starts imo)
Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMAHABENGAL54 View Post
According to Dave Lapham...it's not about Smith or MJ.....it's about Smith or Geno...do we pay Smith as the highest paid right tackle in the NFL or do we resign Geno past next year.....money wise, I would choose locking in Geno over keeping Smith...because Geno is a much better DT than Smith is a right tackle. We can get another RT as good or better tham Smith, but we are not going to get another DT like Geno Atkins.....

So I would choose Geno over Smith......and keeping MJ is important and Lapham says he thinks if nothing else, they will franchise tag MJ.......

Now Smith fans won't like this and fans of Rey or Huber or Nugent or Clements or Newman or Jones or Crocker or any of the others won't like it, but of the 20 or so players up for free agency.....Keeping MJ is key, and resigning Geno past next season is a must.....Smith has been overweight, injured, not that good and then OK, but paying him as the best RT in the NFL may be too expensive. He could be replaced easier than Geno.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8882

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
According to Dave Lapham...it's not about Smith or MJ.....it's about Smith or Geno...do we pay Smith as the highest paid right tackle in the NFL or do we resign Geno past next year.....money wise, I would choose locking in Geno over keeping Smith...because Geno is a much better DT than Smith is a right tackle. We can get another RT as good or better tham Smith, but we are not going to get another DT like Geno Atkins.....

So I would choose Geno over Smith......and keeping MJ is important and Lapham says he thinks if nothing else, they will franchise tag MJ.......

Now Smith fans won't like this and fans of Rey or Huber or Nugent or Clements or Newman or Jones or Crocker or any of the others won't like it, but of the 20 or so players up for free agency.....Keeping MJ is key, and resigning Geno past next season is a must.....Smith has been overweight, injured, not that good and then OK, but paying him as the best RT in the NFL may be too expensive. He could be replaced easier than Geno.
Smith is nowhere near the best RT in the NFL so he shouldn't be paid as such. The Eagles destroyed him with speed rushes. Von Miller destroyed him.

Plus, I could see him getting fat and lazy again once he gets a huge payday.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post

Geno a 5 year extenstion...(this doesnt have to be rushed just before the season starts imo)
actually, it does...because MIke Brown never ever negotiates once the season starts...plus, once the season starts, it becomes next to impossible to keep players from testing the free agent market at years end.....So yes, they do need to lock up Geno before the season starts in September. ....and Lapham says that if they pay Smith, they may not have the money and / or cap room to lock in Geno.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
Smith is nowhere near the best RT in the NFL so he shouldn't be paid as such. The Eagles destroyed him with speed rushes. Von Miller destroyed him.

Hes had his struggles but the numbers dont lie.. PFF has him rated as one of the Top 5 RT's in the league right now. (for this season at least) and he was no slouch last season.

If we cant keep him then some other team will be happy to give him a big check to come play for them.

and then that will dictate one of our Draft choices if we cant find a replacement in Free agency.

Additionally.. Unless marvin said as long as hes HC here Smith and Whitworth will be his tackles lol.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
actually, it does...because MIke Brown never ever negotiates once the season starts...plus, once the season starts, it becomes next to impossible to keep players from testing the free agent market at years end.....So yes, they do need to lock up Geno before the season starts in September. ....and Lapham says that if they pay Smith, they may not have the money and / or cap room to lock in Geno.
I did say before the season starts in my post yes.... I just mean it doesnt need to be done before Freeagency or the Draft.

Waiting for After Free agency will probly be best... So the we can structure his deal to fill our remaining cap space.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73805

Quote:
Now Dave Lapham says Bengals may not be able to pay big money to Andre Smith and resign Geno the same off season
Why the hell not? We have a jillion dollars to spend
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
Why the hell not? We have a jillion dollars to spend
We also have over 20 Free Agents to replace or Re-sign.

If we cant get Smith Back... Draft a replacement or use Collins.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 378

Quote:

Andre is a huge re-sign need. Best RT in the game or one of the best. Too, I do NOT want any dropoff in the OL. I'm less sure about MJ's talent and how much his contributions are a factor of Geno's. At any rate, we're so far below the cap, there is plenty of money so that shouldn't be an issue.

Having this talent develop like we'd hoped .... isn't that a good thing? Isn't that what you are hoping for? Or as we just spending time developing players, so some other team can use them when they start to peak? Talent by the way equals money.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 18

Quote:
We also have over 20 Free Agents to replace or Re-sign.

If we cant get Smith Back... Draft a replacement or use Collins.
We have something like 50+ million dollars to spend. And a few of those Free Agents we probably don't need.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by degolfisfun View Post
Andre is a huge re-sign need. Best RT in the game or one of the best. Too, I do NOT want any dropoff in the OL. I'm less sure about MJ's talent and how much his contributions are a factor of Geno's. At any rate, we're so far below the cap, there is plenty of money so that shouldn't be an issue.

Having this talent develop like we'd hoped .... isn't that a good thing? Isn't that what you are hoping for? Or as we just spending time developing players, so some other team can use them when they start to peak? Talent by the way equals money.
We are way below the cap But you got to look at the big picture.. that 50+ mil isnt just for signing 3-4 players its for signing over 20.

granted some wont cost more than a mil But MJ so far has been more durable and overall productive than Dunlap. Which makes him a huge need. we could try and replacement in the draft but thats a crap shoot at best.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
VIP Gold Member

.....and you want MJ, Geno, Peko and Dunlap ....You want that because together they have became the best pass rushing D Line in the NFL....and they are all kind of young and far from over the hill......We have something alot of NFL teams don't have and wish they had.......It is something we tried to have for years, decades, but could never put together......a very good D Line across the board.....4 very good starters that dominate........It is what this team is all about. ....If you want to win play-off games and go to Super Bowls, then keeping MJ, Geno, Peko and Dunlap together is at the top of the list.

Now if they can keep Smith, fine......I read that Lapham said they will keep MJ even if they have to franchise tag him......Lapham said the choice may be signing Smith at a salary that would make him the one of the highest paid RTs in the NFL, or resigning Atkins long term making him making him one of the highest paid DTs in the NFL. .......Lapham said they may not be able to do both, and may have to choose.....Given the choice, I say Geno is one of the best, if not the best DT in the NFL.......I can't say Smith is the best or one of the best RTs in the NFL. He just hasn't played at that level yet. I know he has fans on here. The fact remains that after some bad first few seasons, he is coming around, but he still gets beat in pass blocking and is not considered Pro Bowl by anybody but his fans......If they keep Smith, fine......but if it comes down to Smith or locking in Geno long term, I would lock in Geno long term and try to sign MJ long term also. MJ, Geno, Peko and Dunlap is the best D line we have ever had. I've watched this team since 1968 and we have had some good D line players like Krumrie, but we have never put together 4 D line players like this, and it's the defensive stuff that Championships are built on.

As for the 50 million mentioned on here.....Once they keep MJ and resign Geno, resign or replace the 20 free agents....and sign draft picks......That 50 million is going to get spent......Lapham says they need a safety and a running back in the draft.....I would add a solid # 2 WR so AJ Green isn't always double covered as Houston and other teams covered him....and Smith or somebody else, we are going to need a RT......I very much agree with Lapham on a RB. Scott and Leonard are both free agents, but it could be we can do alot better than them, especially if they want alot more money. Elway could never win the Super Bowl until they got Davis at RB. A good RB would help Dalton and Green a heck of alot. That and a solid #2 WR....Green Ellis was a good short yardage RB at New England, but we need an all around RB to go with him. Scott can never stay healthy, which is bad for a RB....and I like Leonard, but only as a 3rd back-up RB.

Before Paul Brown died, he said that defense had held this team back for years.....We now have the makings of a great defense since defense starts at the DT and works out, and from the D line and works back......The Brown family should remember the words of Paul Brown and keep this D line together now that we finally have a very good one.

Last edited by kevin; 01-15-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
.....and you want MJ, Geno, Peko and Dunlap ....You want that because together they have became the best pass rushing D Line in the NFL....and they are all kind of young and far from over the hill......We have something alot of NFL teams don't have and wish they had.......It is something we tried to have for years, decades, but could never put together......a very good D Line across the board.....4 very good starters that dominate........It is what this team is all about. ....If you want to win play-off games and go to Super Bowls, then keeping MJ, Geno, Peko and Dunlap together is at the top of the list.

Now if they can keep Smith, fine......I read that Lapham said they will keep MJ even if they have to franchise tag him......Lapham said the choice may be signing Smith at a salary that would make him the one of the highest paid RTs in the NFL, or resigning Atkins long term making him making him one of the highest paid DTs in the NFL. .......Lapham said they may not be able to do both, and may have to choose.....Given the choice, I say Geno is one of the best, if not the best DT in the NFL.......I can't say Smith is the best or one of the best RTs in the NFL. He just hasn't played at that level yet. I know he has fans on here. The fact remains that after some bad first few seasons, he is coming around, but he still gets beat in pass blocking and is not considered Pro Bowl by anybody but his fans......If they keep Smith, fine......but if it comes down to Smith or locking in Geno long term, I would lock in Geno long term and try to sign MJ long term also. MJ, Geno, Peko and Dunlap is the best D line we have ever had. I've watched this team since 1968 and we have had some good D line players like Krumrie, but we have never put together 4 D line players like this, and it's the defensive stuff that Championships are built on.

As for the 50 million mentioned on here.....Once they keep MJ and resign Geno, resign or replace the 20 free agents....and sign draft picks......That 50 million is going to get spent......Lapham says they need a safety and a running back in the draft.....I would add a solid # 2 WR so AJ Green isn't always double covered as Houston and other teams covered him....and Smith or somebody else, we are going to need a RT......I very much agree with Lapham on a RB. Scott and Leonard are both free agents, but it could be we can do alot better than them, especially if they want alot more money. Elway could never win the Super Bowl until they got Davis at RB. A good RB would help Dalton and Green a heck of alot. That and a solid #2 WR....Green Ellis was a good short yardage RB at New England, but we need an all around RB to go with him. Scott can never stay healthy, which is bad for a RB....and I like Leonard, but only as a 3rd back-up RB.

Before Paul Brown died, he said that defense had held this team back for years.....We now have the makings of a great defense since defense starts at the DT and works out, and from the D line and works back......The Brown family should remember the words of Paul Brown and keep this D line together now that we finally have a very good one.
its a good probly to have until one of those fish get away...

We could resign Andre to a deal that will make him one of the highest paid RTs in the league or we could go after one of the big Free agent OT's that might cost more UGH..

But the Defense is the identity here and that line must stay its the reason for 2x playoffs in a row.

Collins is a good backup and has filled that spot nicely before when smith had foot issues.

And we can draft a new one.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24059

With the production of Ding this season, re-signing MJ is less of a need and more of a luxury. In fact, if you look at snaps to plays made, Gilberry was the most productive Bengals d-lineman, considering sacks, ff, fr, ints, etc... I am not saying the Bengals shouldn't re-sign him, but that they have options with Gilberry's production being at such a high level.

Completely agree about Atkins being the #1 though, and agree with the poster(s) that suggested the re-signing Andre Smith should be the #2 priority of the off season. He's really stepped it up and is a top RT in the league and should get paid. Hopefully Mikey opens up the checkbook and makes it happen.

Win in the trenches and good things happen.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
With the production of Ding this season, re-signing MJ is less of a need and more of a luxury. In fact, if you look at snaps to plays made, Gilberry was the most productive Bengals d-lineman, considering sacks, ff, fr, ints, etc... I am not saying the Bengals shouldn't re-sign him, but that they have options with Gilberry's production being at such a high level.

Completely agree about Atkins being the #1 though, and agree with the poster(s) that suggested the re-signing Andre Smith should be the #2 priority of the off season. He's really stepped it up and is a top RT in the league and should get paid. Hopefully Mikey opens up the checkbook and makes it happen.

Win in the trenches and good things happen.
I believe we need to resign Gilberry to a nice 3 year deal...

but i dont think his production would hold if he received the snaps MJ did. IF somehow MJ doesnt get a deal or a Tag look for a DE in the first round of the draft.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24059

I believe we need to resign Gilberry to a nice 3 year deal...

but i dont think his production would hold if he received the snaps MJ did. IF somehow MJ doesnt get a deal or a Tag look for a DE in the first round of the draft.

I think Ding is a suitable replacement for the season, assuming Anderson will be healthy.

Bengals have so many other bigger needs, and a glut of DT talent to plug in at DE, so I would hate to see an early pick spent at DE. I would go far as to say a coverage safety, or more talent at CB would serve the d-line as well. Heck, consider drafting linebackers able to cover TE's and RB's and what that would do for the d-line in way of coverage sacks!

Just food for thought...
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7925

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post

To be fair though, Von Miller destroys everybody.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3534

We have to sign our better/best players. Of course it depends what they ask for. A couple/few years ago Cook and Peko were core players extended. But if maybe they aren't our best core players now, then you let them go, before you justify letting some of 'newer' core players go.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2657

Resigning Andre might be more important than some of you realize. I don't look at Andy dalton as a qb who can put a team on his shoulders and carry a team like the mannings, bradys, brees and Rodgers of the world. To maximize our qbs effectiveness, we need to be able to run the ball. Speed rushers may give Andre trouble, but Von miller and Trent cole give lots of o linemen trouble.

I'm not saying break the bank to resign Andre, just don't be so quick to discard him.