Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default Sleeper pick: MarQueis Gray

Everyone has it, that one kid you know for sure is just going to blow up and come out of no where to be a stud. This year my sleeper pick is MarQueis Gray. QB/WR from Minnesota. 6'4", 245 lbs, runs a 4.5 forty. He played WR his first 2 years at Minnesota then moved to QB. Finished career as WR after injury to ankle. He is being projected at WR in the pros. I would take him at 6b is he is there, too much potential to take the risk of signing him as an UDFA. I think with a year to sit and learn from AJ, and the coaches that he could emerge as a dynamic playmaker at WR.

Here is the dirt on him.

Quote:
Athleticism:
+Among the elite caliber athletes at his position in the entire NCAA, has also spent time at WR
+Is a danger to score every time he takes off with the ball, has great speed and agility in the open field that make him hard to bring down
-Is at times too quick to run or bail out of the pocket, longer routes rarely get a chance to fully develop
-Mostly a straight line runner whose not going to offer a ton of wiggle to make you miss
Quote:
MarQueis Gray- QB
The Big 10 might be the conference with the most dual-threat quarterbacks in the country. However, despite all the publicity that Denard Robinson from Michigan and Taylor Martinez from Nebraska get, and the emergence of Kain Colter from Northwestern, Gray might actually have the best chance of making an impact in the NFL at the quarterback position. The number three ranked dual threat QB coming out of high school and the number one player in the state of Indiana, Gray had a quarterback pedigree before being asked to shift positions during his freshman year. Although he did see some snaps at quarterback, the Gophers began to transition him more to wide receiver, despite showing flashes of talent under center, like when he went 5-6 for 51 yards and a TD against Ohio State. However, by his sophomore year, Gray played almost exclusively at WR, tallying 587 yards and five touchdowns.
Last year the Gophers flopped Gray again and this time it seems like it’s for good. At 6’4” 240 pounds with 4.5 speed, Gray has the size and athleticism that scouts are beginning to appreciate at the quarterback position. Mix that in with his running ability and he becomes a very intriguing prospect. He has a strong arm and has made some highlight real throws. However, he also possesses poor mechanics and often throws off balance. If his mechanics can continue to improve, his athleticism, size and arm strength make him a good project at the QB position. In a league that saw Tannehill go #8 overall, anything is possible.
and the best part about him is that he just wants to play, he isn't demanding that he play QB at the next level.

Quote:
"Anywhere I have a chance to play NFL games, that's the thing I'm going to do," Gray told theMinnesota Star Tribune. "I have a family to look after, and if I'm a receiver at the next level, then that's what I'm going to play."
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Last edited by Burma; 01-14-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Sleeper pick: MarQueis Gray

I've had my eye on him as well, very intriguing prospect for sure!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default Re: Sleeper pick: MarQueis Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I've had my eye on him as well, very intriguing prospect for sure!
He is like a bigger, slower Denard Robinson. That's not a bad thing at all.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...