Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 154
Default Re: Most pressing need this offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
Ogletree is a top 15 pick and won't be available.
This
I think if teo or ogletree r there at 22 it's a no brainier, but I hope

1st Round- BPA that falls ie. Warmack(long shot) or one of the top DE of OT, starting to like Rhodes, CB, FSU
2A Round- Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama
2B Round- Eddie Lacy, RB, USC
3rd Round- Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
4th Round- Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma
5th Round- Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
6th Round-
7th Round-
Free Agent- Dominique Rogers Cromartie CB
Paul Kruger OLB
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 176

We have plenty of need this off-season. I don't understand why so many people want us to get a WR #2. We have guys on the roster to fill the spot and it would be money wasted that could be spent on more pressing needs. The O-line is a pressing need. They were not consistent late in the year - just look at our running yards and QB pressures. We could use a speed running back that can catch the ball. LB is a need as we need to have another dynamic player to pair with Burfict. Yes our defense was good late in the year, but we need to be able to continue to apply pressure. A younger safety to replace Crocker would be a good idea.

Sign - Bush or see if we can get Vereen.
Patrick Chung is a nice player that comes from a winning organization.
Just my opinion
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1195

[quote=McC;2776762]Shore up the LB's, especially ones who can cover and the defense instantly take a step forward.

1A and 1B--WR and RB. Sign one of the top WR FA's so we don;t have to count on another rookie. The slot is covered with Sanu.

Get a RB in the draft, be it a workhorse of a COP, maybe even both, depending on how things fall.

Contrary to popular opinion, I see C as a major need, just a shade behind the first two. Preferably, a veteran who has already had success. Shouldn't be a bank breaker and it would change our offense in a big way. Plus, it would probably get Cook and his mediocrity on a good day the hell outa here.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if this is the solution or not but the online needs fixed. We're going nowhere fast with this line as is.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9133

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotweales View Post
We have plenty of need this off-season. I don't understand why so many people want us to get a WR #2. We have guys on the roster to fill the spot and it would be money wasted that could be spent on more pressing needs.....
I guess it's hard to explain any better than #2 WR was by far the biggest weakness on the team this season and the "guys on the roster to fill the spot" we have are the absolute definition of unproven. Upgrading at LB so we get more big plays at that position is the only thing I think even comes close to #2 WR in terms of pressing needs.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1785

Where did our offense finish?
OL help
RB help

Then address the defense.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

Bengals need Linebacker, Safety and Running back. (hopefully first three picks). I wouldn't be sad if the offense added another o-lineman though with one of the first three picks. I think you can address WR via FA.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3421

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Bengals need to re-sign their own players and find another WR threat to pair with AJ while Jones and Sanu continue to develop. As big a need as linebacker and safety are, the defense is rolling just fine. The offense needs more tools so it can find itself and put some points on the board, or at the very least give the defense time to catch it's breath.

FA over drafting, as rookie WR's historically have low production the first year. Break the bank for a big target like Bowe, reap the rewards.

Of course, this is assuming the better center, Robinson, wins out and is the starter, thus giving Dalton time to throw. If he doesn't have time to make the throw, it doesn't matter if his receivers are Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, and Larry Fitzgerald...

Agree with you about a FA receiver. I like Greg Jennings, but another proven threat would be good - and needs to be a FA so they aren't adjusting to being in the NFL

Also need a RB who can get to the edge or explode through the secondary. It was agonizing to watch New England with their running backs destroying Houston. And they were not doing that last year. An upgrade (s) at the running back position could pay heavy dividends. I'd actually categorize that as the primary need followed by a veteran WR defenses would fear.

And you're right. We need to solve the O line problems, whether that's Robinson, Cook or a better option in the draft (I like the center out of Wisconsin)

Beyond that LB and Safety would be nice to upgrade. It would put the finishing touches to our defense.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3421

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I'm of the opinion that a good WR should be signed. There will be some out there. You know what he can do, not so much with a rookie. If someone falls into a good value spot, take him. Also like the idea of not just filling a hole but filling the hell out of it. That way, if the rookie takes a while to get going, we aren't screwed for another year.
Good point.

Half way measures yeild coin flip results. No point in wasting money on that. Get someone who is pretty darn sure to get the job done - without a bunch of drama
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 46

Veteran WR - Donald Driver would be a great pick up. Dude is in tremendous shape (similar to Terrell Owens) and a great locker room guy. Has some age on him, but we only need him to take pressure off of AJ in certain situations

RB- Reggie Bush or draft a speed guy with some size. I'd try to pry Chris Ivory from NO.

OL- Give me any lineman from Wisconsin. Those guys are movers.

The rest of the needs depends on who we resign and let go.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5142

Middle lb, weakside lb, S, cb, rb.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 22469

I think Sanu and Jones are our #2 WR and Hawkins is our slot receiver. I'd play Jones between the 20's and Sanu in the red zone. We could draft a WR in the third or fourth round for depth.

I'd pick up Reggie Bush in FA. Draft the best of these in rounds #1, #2A, #2B.

MLB, G, S

We may even want to trade down in Round #1 to get an extra #2.

Re-sign Atkins and Michael Johnson.

It takes time to develop WR's and I think we have two very good ones in Jones and Sanu. Hawkins is a good shifty change of pace guy. He needs to work on his hands though. He drops too many. Sanu is a vacuum cleaner. He catches everything in his catch radius.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old White Guy View Post
Where did our offense finish?
OL help
RB help

Then address the defense.

I agree, and I will add more WR help too. If we can find a bonified slot guy as I dont see Hawk due to his size, as well as a solid receiver on the outside for depth, then great. This off-season should be fully geared to upgrading the offense. Grab a good MLB if there is to sign in free-agency, or draft one high-up, otherwise I hope they go offense.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 01-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Rep Points: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonFan View Post
I think Sanu and Jones are our #2 WR and Hawkins is our slot receiver. I'd play Jones between the 20's and Sanu in the red zone. We could draft a WR in the third or fourth round for depth.

I'd pick up Reggie Bush in FA. Draft the best of these in rounds #1, #2A, #2B.

MLB, G, S

We may even want to trade down in Round #1 to get an extra #2.

Re-sign Atkins and Michael Johnson.

It takes time to develop WR's and I think we have two very good ones in Jones and Sanu. Hawkins is a good shifty change of pace guy. He needs to work on his hands though. He drops too many. Sanu is a vacuum cleaner. He catches everything in his catch radius.
To this post.....
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28268

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMAHABENGAL54 View Post
This
I think if teo or ogletree r there at 22 it's a no brainier, but I hope
Manti Te'o is Rey Maualuga with a better haircut. No freakin' way!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23720

Two words: Eddie Lacy.

After watching more on this guy tonight, I'm sold.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20610

Most pressing need? Several new coaches. Like that'll happen. Followed by:

A RB with big time speed and/or shiftiness, who can actually see a cutback and make it and if he bursts through a hole like some of the kind BJGE had, he takes it home and changes the game.

A MLB who can cover and maybe make a play once in a while. A SAM who can cover. Some damn way to plug the hole in the middle of our D.

A real C. No offense, Trevor, but enough is enough. Maybe someone to give Trevor another year if he does have a chance to be the guy.

A reliable TE.

Another S to play beside Reggie.

Another CB who will see the field from the field and not the sidelines. This is not an emergency, but planning ahead is never a bad thing and you can never have too many good corners.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 3136

The Texans have a F.A. LB i would love to get to pair with Burfict.
Draft a RB in the 3rd rd.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 135

LB
S
C
RB

I would love to get a one of the available speed backs in FA and use the first three picks to take the best on the board at LB/S/C(if it is a rational choice of course).

If we draft a RB its gotta be Eddie Lacy.

Personally i think Boling played well and it was a matter of time before he took over at LG if Wharton were to play.. and if we draft a center i want barrett jones or travis frederick.

at lb i would prefer ogletree, kevin minter, or cj mosley(olb). also, dont rule out the possibility of moving howard inside. he played MLB for awile in oakland and that was a big reason we wanted him here, because he played all 3 lb positions before

draft the best safety available... eric reid, robert lester, shawn williams, or bacarri rambo
Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
I think the exact same thing, ND does not play anyone in the regular season and when they played a team with real talent Teo got exposed.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367

We need TWO dynamic players to help this team, both offense and defense. That is all.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson_fan1988 View Post
So as the title said, what's the biggest position need this offseason? WR? RB? OL? S? I would say LB needs upgraded the most. Rey is what he is, Howard could come back strong, but you never know plus he is a little older. Burfict is our only LB with great upside for now.
This team is built around its defense. I would say SS. I think Burfict will end up back in the middle and the Bengals will draft a couple OLB. I don't hold out much hope for Lawson and Howard. Maybe another FA becomes available in their mold that is a little younger and faster, but that is the single greatest hole on the team. When Chris Crocker becomes your biggest impact player in the secondary, you know you have a problem.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
We had the 6th best defense in the NFL even though our offense was one of the worst in the league on 3rd down. I think our priorities should be on offense first. I don't care if we address them in the draft or free agency.

TE
Wide Receiver (this one I do think we need a proven WR to go with AJ
Center (Robinson and Cook were not good enough)
Safety
DE - You can't have enough great DLinemen
LB (hopefully Howard is healthy and we resign Rey to have some great depth at LB
RB - speed back (would love Bush)
I agree that the offense is what needs the greatest improvement, but I think the basis of TALENT is there. What has been lacking is the scheme. We should have two TE, two WR, and a single back in on every third down where the RB could slip out as an outlet receiver. Hawkins could also serve this role, as it is something he did in college and the CFL. Too often, the Bengals would only send two or three receivers in the pattern, allowing extra rushers to collapse the pocket. Spread teams out and attack them. It isn't just the talent of Rogers, Kaep, Wilson, Manning x2, and Brady, as those QBs have fewer rushers to contend with and multiple (usually 4 or more) targets in a pattern. Wake up and smell the offense, Marv. You have to spread teams out and attack. If you still want to do the old "run to set up the pass", you better have a Frank Gore or Arian Foster and at least three pro bowlers on your offensive line. If you don't, you will struggle to score 20 points against playoff teams. Sound familiar?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Lawson (Draft pick)
Burfict
Howard

Sounds legit to me. I'm on board.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
Because they are both Polynesian? I think Te'o is much better, and, he plays with passion. He looks like he cares. Goes a long way. I think Rey plays scared/passive. Give me Te'o over Rey.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrickJR View Post
Because they are both Polynesian? I think Te'o is much better, and, he plays with passion. He looks like he cares. Goes a long way. I think Rey plays scared/passive. Give me Te'o over Rey.
Both show the exact same thing in College. Similiar size. Similiar techniques. Speed. Coverage. It's all the same. Rey excelled in College, as did Manti, but a lot of people have questioned Manti's ability to transition to the NFL, especially after playing perhaps the ONLY NFL caliber NCAA team in Alabama. I do believe he missed 5 tackles.