Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025
Default Stewee28's Pre-Combine Mock Draft

Seems like there are a lot of people making mock drafts, so I figured, what the hell? I will make one too. It is fun to do, so here is my mock that I would love to see happen...

***I will base this mock on Michael Johnson, Andre Smith, Thomas Howard and Josh Brown resigning. Thats it.***

In my eyes, the Bengals biggest needs to address this offseason are in order: LB, RB, Safety, WR. With that being said, lets begin.....

With the 21st pick in the 2013 NFL Mock Draft, The Cincinnati Bengals select,

1st Round - Pick #21.) Alec Ogletree - Linebacker - University of Georgia

Just what we are looking for. Projected in the first round and is the second rated ILB in the draft. Lot of speculation that he is best suited for OLB, which would be fine by me because that would allow us to move Burfict back to MLB (his natural position). This would not be a "reach" pick. Fills a need as well as considered Best Player Available.

"A former safety, Ogletree showed off his terrific range and athleticism, making plays all over the field in 2012 and was often the best player on a defense loaded with NFL talent. Terrific quickness around the edge, capable of making stops in the backfield and is fast in pursuit. Doesn't shy from making the big hit. Arrives with deceiving power and violent intentions. Lengthy frame, athleticism and experience in coverage. Has the long arms scouts like from linebackers."

2nd Round - Pick #37.) Eddie Lacy - Runningback - University of Alabama

This kid is the complete package. Just what we need to add to our backfield. Fast (low 4.5) enough to run up the middle and off tackle. Strong enough to throw defenders off him and break tackles. Good hands out of the backfield. Perfected spin move. This will allow us to limit BJGE to short yardage / goal line situations.

"Has the leg drive to push the pile and keeps his legs churning through contact, often resulting in broken tackles. Lacey reads his blocks nicely, showing enough lateral agility to avoid defenders as well as the burst to stick his foot in the ground and accelerate through gaps quickly. He's a well-built back, but shows good balance (including an often-used spin move) and athleticism (leaping ability) to surprise defenders anticipating that all he has is power. Runs tough and determined with an angry attitude to finish each run and pick up positive yardage."

2nd Round - Pick #55.) Da'Rick Rogers - Wide Receiver - Tennessee Tech University

Big (6'3", 208), strong and very explosive. This kid packs dynamite in his shoes ready to explode and completely change a game. I know, I know, he has run into some trouble, but Marvin Lewis is the perfect coach to straighten a kid out. Especially someone with Rogers talent. Got the speed to break away and take one to the house and is very versatile. Many will shun him away because he has character concerns but I would really love to see this kid in Bengals stripes

"Rogers is a virtual Julio Jones clone, exhibiting an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness. Despite playing in the ultra-physical SEC, Rogers proved too strong for most teams to consider pressing. He's also versatile, showing the ability to line up outside, as well as in the slot. While it is easy to get excited about Rogers' size-speed potential, one of his greatest attributes is simply his toughness, as he absorbed several big collisions on games viewed and never dropped a pass due to a hit while at Tennessee. Rogers is a powerful runner who fights for additional yardage and has the agility and speed to run away from the pack for explosive plays."

3rd Round - Pick #86.) Bacarri Rambo - Safety - University of Georgia

The defensive leader for one of the most talented defenses in the country. Packs a punch and can lay someone out when he wants, but doesnt look for the heavy hit every time. Roams CF and is a ball-hawking, game-changing safety. Strong in all aspects (running game and passing attack). AJ Greens roommate in college and would love to see him join AJ with the Bengals.

"Possesses the combination of overall strength (befitting a last name mimicking the fictitious role played by Sylvester Stallone) and agility to fill multiple roles on defense. Consistently reads routes and the quarterback’s eyes well, flows with plays from the deep half and breaks on the ball quickly. His strong hands can snatch 50/50 and jump ball passes away from receivers, and is willing to throw his shoulder into receivers over the middle to separate the ball. Effective cut tackler at the second level, also changes directions quickly to wrap up running backs making a quick cut. Good effort, upper body strength to ride receivers and backs with a full head of steam to the ground or sideline. Moves well with receivers downfield, can take away deep options and limit yards after the catch."

4th Round - Pick #117.) Kenjon Barner - Runningback - University of Oregon

Barner is a burner. Game-changing, homerun threat everytime he touches the ball. Known for running off tackle but can run up the middle as well. Great hands out of the backfield and very versatile (returns kicks and punts). Lacy / Barner / BJGE would make one hell of a RB committee.

"Excellent straight-line speed puts defenders in his dust in the open field. Accelerates after cut to burst through holes on stretch plays, also explodes up the middle if the blocking is there. Flashes balance and strength to spin off and churn through arm tackles to continue upfield. Eludes penetrating defenders in the holes with a quick sidestep, also has the vision to set up safeties and cut around them for big gains. Lowers pads upon contact, falls forward for first downs if asked to run inside. Weapon out of the backfield, can catch passes with his hands inside his frame and over his shoulder and is tough to track down if hit on the run."

5th Round - Pick #151.) Leon McFadden - Defensive Back - San Diego State University

This kid is a sleeper. He is starting to creep up some big boards on some analysts mocks. Projected in the 5th round and would add depth at our CB position. Newman and Allen are both old and Kirkpatrick and Prater were both hurt all year. If we can add McFadden who is known for his zone coverage and better suited of slot defense, would turn into a great CB competition. Also returns punts and kicks.

"Fiesty zone corner with starting potential in the slot or outside. Good awareness as a zone defender, jumps underneath routes but also keeps an eye on the quarterback and can adjust to make plays on receivers running behind him. Fluid hips help him transition from pedal to close, also to adjust to out routes after opening up. Contains well on his side of the field, has the closing speed to track down runners before they reach the sideline. Displays the hands to snatch interceptions over his head and away from his body and fluidly transition into the return. Competitive in 50/50 situations, active hands make it tough on receivers to complete the catch. Possesses some thickness in his build and is not contact-shy in run support and against bubble screens; keeps outside leverage, breaks down quickly to slow or corral backs, and uses his hands to shed against average blocks. Cuts down backs in space with authority and is willing to stick a shoulder into an unsuspecting receiver. Adept special teams player on coverage and block units and has the hands and quickness to get a shot on punt returns."

6th Round - Pick #182.) BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE

6th Round - Pick #191.) BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE

7th Round - Pick #213.) BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE

You might notice, there were no Line members taken in this draft.

The O-Line: We will be getting Wharton back which should create competition between our guards. It will be interesting to see if they move Zeitler to LG and put Wharton back to LG. Maybe Boling beats out Wharton, who knows?? The center situation will be interesting. Cook will be fully healed and we all know what Robinson is capable of. Should create quite the competition come Training Camp. Dont forget, Boling has played Center as well.

The D-Line: With the resigning of MJ, the defensive front remains intact. I expect nothing less then what they produced this year. With more consistent play from our LB corp, the defensive line should be able to produce better then they did this year.

Starting Depth Chart:

QB: Andy Dalton
RB: Eddie Lacy / Kenjon Barner / Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis
FB: Chris Pressley
WR: A.J. Green / Da'Rick Rogers / Mo Sanu / Marvin Jones / Andrew Hawkins
TE: Jermaine Gresham / Orson Charles
RT: Andre Smith
RG: Travell Wharton
C: Trevor Robinson
LG: Kevin Zeitler
LT: Andrew Whitworth

LE: Carlos Dunlop / Robert Geathers
DT: Geno Atkins / Domata Peko / Pat Sims / Devon Still
RE: Michael Johnson / Wallace Gilberry
OLB: Thomas Howard / Lemur
MLB: Vontaze Burfict
OLB: Alec Ogletree / Skuta
CB: Leon Hall / Dre Kirkpatrick / Leon McFadden / Adam Jones / Terrance Newman
FS: Bacarri Rambo
SS: Reggie Nelson

KR: Kenjon Barner / Leon McFadden
PR: Kenjon Barner

K: Josh Brown
P: Kevin Huber

I know this doesn't cover everybody, but this was just a rough sketch on how I would like to see it unfold.

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 152
Default Re: Stewee28's Pre-Combine Mock Draft

not bad at all, maybe look to use that second rounder on something other than wr, i wouldn't grab one until later rounds if it's only a steal, think jones and sanu are gonna be good pickups, maybe should look for a good fa like bowe or something but overall not a bad mock draft like the corner back and running back picks
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 105

I could live with it other than Barner.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30022

I like it for the most part.

FYI, unless you are anticipating a comp pick, we do not have a 7th round pick this year.

Not sure about 2 RBs though. Love the Barner pick. Is the assumption that Lacey is the eventual replacement for BJGE?

I could see taking 2 RBs if one is to take Brian Leonard's role, and one is the home run threat. Maybe Bernard and Barner. From what I understand Bernard is a good receiver out of the backfield, and a decent blocker.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50yarder View Post
I could live with it other than Barner.
What's wrong with Barner?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
I like it for the most part.

FYI, unless you are anticipating a comp pick, we do not have a 7th round pick this year.

Not sure about 2 RBs though. Love the Barner pick. Is the assumption that Lacey is the eventual replacement for BJGE?

I could see taking 2 RBs if one is to take Brian Leonard's role, and one is the home run threat. Maybe Bernard and Barner. From what I understand Bernard is a good receiver out of the backfield, and a decent blocker.
I just did a quick search and found all the draft picks so maybe I miss read the website. Im not really sure. Youre probably right. I think Lacy is the future for our RB situation. He will replace BJGE when his contract is up. He is a much bigger threat then BJGE is. Having Lacy / Barner in the backfield is a great one - two punch.

The reason I would not like Bernard and Barner, is because they are pretty much cut from the same cloth. Around the same size and same capabilities. Lacy is bigger but still backs all the agility, vision and speed to break one off, not to mention is still capable of getting the short yardage mainly bc of his build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonist7 View Post
not bad at all, maybe look to use that second rounder on something other than wr, i wouldn't grab one until later rounds if it's only a steal, think jones and sanu are gonna be good pickups, maybe should look for a good fa like bowe or something but overall not a bad mock draft like the corner back and running back picks
I went with Rogers mainly because he is a first round talent that will slip bc of his off field issues. "Julio Jones Clone" is perfect for this team. AJ and Rogers could make one of the best WR pairs in the league. Its the same as our RB situation....if we are going to grab a WR, lets go ahead and grab the best instead of a "question mark" later in the draft. Rogers fits that mold. Big, athletic, fast, strong and explosive.

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

If Lacy fell to our first pick in the second round I would be very happy with this draft.

Overall, I really like it.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalRage View Post
If Lacy fell to our first pick in the second round I would be very happy with this draft.

Overall, I really like it.
Depending on his NFL Combine results, I think early second round is a good projection of where Lacy will end up. He would have to blow up the combine and be first in almost every testing group to be a first rounder. I think the years of a a First Round running back and over. Its a big risk anymore mainly because the NFL Life of a running back is around 5-6 years. Talents like Trent Richardson and Adrian Peterson are the only exceptions to first round talent. Maybe Doug Martin will be added to that list soon too.

Here Us......ROAR!!!