Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25462
bengals Re: Seriously Viable FAs we should take a shot at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I'm not trying to hi-jack your thread but I'm gonna post a few guys I think we should look heavily at.

1) Reggie Bush RB Miami
Bush can do it all, run, catch, and return punts and kicks if needed, plus he has the speed we've sorely needed for a while now.

2) Greg Jennings WR Green Bay
Jennings didn't have the best year, but it wasn't because he suddenly got bad, he was injured, and when he came back Randall Cobb and James Jones had stepped up to the point to Jennings was almost an after thought. He's just what we need at receiver, good route runner, good hands, can take the top off of defenses if necessary, and a veteran presence can only help our young guys especially since Jennings is the Anti-Diva.

3) Paul Kruger LB Ravens
Now I know you're going to say he's a 3-4 guy but he's very athletic and could be one of those guys who succeeds in both systems. Marvin has wanted a pass rushing SAM ever since he left Baltimore when he had Peter Boulware. He had 9 sacks this season while only starting 5 games and 5.5 last season while starting none. Plus this move weakens the Ravens. Now I don't know about him in the run or pass game because I don't watch Baltimore, you're going to have to ask someone else like Truck or eoxyod.

4) Sean Smith CB Miami
Assuming we don't resign Newman who will be 35 in September and Clements who will be 34 in December, the smart thing to do would be to sign a guy just hitting his prime. Look no further than Smith. We've had trouble with taller receivers, well Smith could be our answer, he's 6'4" 214. He has good speed and decent ball skills, plus he'll only be 26 in July and just hitting his prime. Now people will say we have Kirkpatrick, but there's no guarantee he'll be healthy or even any good. Smith is healthy and pretty good. I think a CB trio of Hall, Smith and Pacman is better than Hall, Allen/Kirk, and Pacman.

5) Jairus Byrd FS Buffalo
He is the definition of playmaker, with 18 career picks and 10 forced fumbles in just 4 seasons he has good speed for a safety and a knack for picking off passes. We could slide Reggie Nelson over since he plays both positions anyway and be solidified at safety for the next few years.

6) Jason Campbell QB Chicago
Campbell is a former first rounder with a rocket for an arm with some decent wheels. We need someone to push Dalton and Campbell is the best QB not named Flacco in the FA pool. Now I know people will say we have Gradkowski, do you honestly think Grad can push Dalton? The answer is no. He can do his "mentor" thing as the 3rd QB on the depth chart.

Quote from Truck on Kruger in run and pass game
1) Reggie Bush - One place I am not big on FAs is RB. The shelf life is too short as it is. I also am not as impressed with Reggie as many others see to be. Give me Randle or Gillislee in the draft.

2) Jennings is a good WR but there was a theme to my list. YOUNG and productive. I do not care to bring in end of their career guys. Hartline adds veteran presence while not being 30 years old.

3) Kruger - I think we have seen enough of experiments. I am not concerned with our LBs rushing the passer. This is a 4-3 not a 3-4 I am concerned with TEs killing us in the middle of the field. Levy, Durant, and Roach are proven 4-3 backers so why experiment?

4) Byrd is a good player but I would really like Phillip Thomas from Fresno State in the draft.

5) Campbell I am neutral on.

6) Smith was on my list.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7925
Default Re: Seriously Viable FAs we should take a shot at

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
1) Reggie Bush - One place I am not big on FAs is RB. The shelf life is too short as it is. I also am not as impressed with Reggie as many others see to be. Give me Randle or Gillislee in the draft.

2) Jennings is a good WR but there was a theme to my list. YOUNG and productive. I do not care to bring in end of their career guys. Hartline adds veteran presence while not being 30 years old.

3) Kruger - I think we have seen enough of experiments. I am not concerned with our LBs rushing the passer. This is a 4-3 not a 3-4 I am concerned with TEs killing us in the middle of the field. Levy, Durant, and Roach are proven 4-3 backers so why experiment?

4) Byrd is a good player but I would really like Phillip Thomas from Fresno State in the draft.

6) Smith was on my list.
Bold 1) I don't pay any attention to college ball so I wasn't sure if there were any guys who offered Bush's skill set and size.
Bold 2) He's not an experiment really, the Ravens run a hybrid system and he played SAM, you aren't worried about our LBs rushing, but Marvin is, he tried to put MJ at LB and he put Moch at LB. Plus if you go by PFF according to Truck he's pretty good in coverage.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2511

Quote:

6) Smith was on my list.
I don't really like this mentality, seems like everyone that someone mentions you don't want because there not young enough, while understandable I just don't think its as big of a deal as you do.

Let me put it this way, why wouldn't we sign a guy like Daryl Smith to replace Lawson and he could probably play 3-4 more seasons which takes off pressure to draft a LB if its not BPA this year. Same thing with guys like Jennings, Byrd, and Bush, these guys can come in and play at a high level right now.

Youth is great but its not the most important factor imo.

As for signing Bush Id say it would be a great signing depending on the price, he has a injury history but the guy is a play maker at RB and we are sorely lacking in that spot. Id prefer to sign Bush and draft an every down back in the first 3 rounds to replace BJGE but itll never happen.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8617

1. Jairus Byrd
Sadly I think Crocker's 3 turnovers in 2012 is the most by a Bengals safety not named Reggie Nelson since Crocker had 3 in 2009. In four seasons Byrd has 28 turnovers, and has played in all 16 games the last three seasons. This is the kind of guy you need to open up the checkbook for. He and Reggie Nelson would finally solve the Bengals safety issue that's dragged on and on.

2. Dwayne Bowe
The Bengals don't need another light speed guy like Wallace or Jennings who are both under 200lbs, they already have a speed guy in AJ Green. What they need is a big strong #2 who can take the most physical corner off AJ, or abuse a smaller less physical corner until they do. Bowe is that guy, and his production with Matt Cassell as his QB is impressive, the guy has proven he can put up 1,100 yards as a #1 with a terrible QB. He also would also take less years/dollars to sign than some of the other popular names, leaving a window for the young WRs to develop in the coming years.

3. Chris Ivory (RFA)
An undrafted player buried under the depth chart of the Saints, he'll never see the light of day behind Sproles/Thomas/Ingram. He was inactive for most of 2012 until a Sproles injury got him activated and he responded by getting 17 carries, 120 yards, 2 TDs, 2 catches, 15 yards. He's only 24 and very little wear and tear from only 256 carries in his 3 years.. but plenty of explosiveness with a 5.1 career ypc. He's a RFA, but he's 4th on the Saints depth chart and was an undrafted player, so it should either not take a draft pick, or it should take a very low draft pick to snag him. Combining him with a drafted RB would make this offense have a deadly running game.

4. Antoine Cason
Allen is just laying around collecting money, Clements doesn't even have a position anymore, Kirkpatrick barely made it on the field in between his half dozen different injuries, Ghee apparently was promising before being hurt again, Jones excells as a 3rd CB so he is at full strength in the return game, and while Newman was impressive considering his previous year and age.. but remember Clements had a good first year here too. Either way, it's time to get younger in the secondary. Cason is a solid, not great, CB who will be a great addition to the backfield without costing the absurdity that I am sure DRC will. Nothing wrong with a Hall/Cason/Jones/Kirkpatrick/Ghee CB group.

***With Byrd/Cason, the starting secondary goes from 123 years old to 109, which is a huge difference.

5. Jordan Shipley
He's healthy and it's time to bring him back home. The Bengals have no guy to go to on 3rd down to get that conversion since they let Shipley go rather than IR him or let him sit on the roster (they gave Moch and Allen forever though).. instead choosing people like Binns, Tate, and Whalen over him. Here's a nice stat to think on.. Shipley played in the last 7 games of the season. With just 7 games, his season total catches were better than any Bengal not named Green or Hawkins. With just 7 games his season total yardage was better than any Bengal not named Green or Hawkins. Bring him back home, he's good.

6. Chris Cooley/Anthony Fasano
Honestly, I would be okay with either. I think Cooley would be a great mentor for Gresham and Charles, because he was a real good receiving TE on some real terrible Redskin teams... Fasano would be a decent addition more solely from a production standpoint though he's not really a beast or anything.

Anyway.. that's my list. My goals were pretty much get AJ Green help (Bowe), convert 3rd downs better (Shipley/TE), get a more explosive runner to pair with a draft pick (Ivory), and get younger and more talented in the secondary (Byrd/Cason).

This team has the money to make this happen. I think it's like $55m in cap space not counting guys who need to/should be cut (Allen/Cook/Wharton/Connor) and such. Get most of these guys, sign all your important folk back, and have a decent draft and the Bengals have as talented of a team as anyone in the league.

12 years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one more nugget of pure knowledge: "We gotta play better." 12 more years of Marvin!

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 95-93-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22265

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
1. Jairus Byrd
Sadly I think Crocker's 3 turnovers in 2012 is the most by a Bengals safety not named Reggie Nelson since Crocker had 3 in 2009. In four seasons Byrd has 28 turnovers, and has played in all 16 games the last three seasons. This is the kind of guy you need to open up the checkbook for. He and Reggie Nelson would finally solve the Bengals safety issue that's dragged on and on.

2. Dwayne Bowe
The Bengals don't need another light speed guy like Wallace or Jennings who are both under 200lbs, they already have a speed guy in AJ Green. What they need is a big strong #2 who can take the most physical corner off AJ, or abuse a smaller less physical corner until they do. Bowe is that guy, and his production with Matt Cassell as his QB is impressive, the guy has proven he can put up 1,100 yards as a #1 with a terrible QB. He also would also take less years/dollars to sign than some of the other popular names, leaving a window for the young WRs to develop in the coming years.

3. Chris Ivory (RFA)
An undrafted player buried under the depth chart of the Saints, he'll never see the light of day behind Sproles/Thomas/Ingram. He was inactive for most of 2012 until a Sproles injury got him activated and he responded by getting 17 carries, 120 yards, 2 TDs, 2 catches, 15 yards. He's only 24 and very little wear and tear from only 256 carries in his 3 years.. but plenty of explosiveness with a 5.1 career ypc. He's a RFA, but he's 4th on the Saints depth chart and was an undrafted player, so it should either not take a draft pick, or it should take a very low draft pick to snag him. Combining him with a drafted RB would make this offense have a deadly running game.

4. Antoine Cason
Allen is just laying around collecting money, Clements doesn't even have a position anymore, Kirkpatrick barely made it on the field in between his half dozen different injuries, Ghee apparently was promising before being hurt again, Jones excells as a 3rd CB so he is at full strength in the return game, and while Newman was impressive considering his previous year and age.. but remember Clements had a good first year here too. Either way, it's time to get younger in the secondary. Cason is a solid, not great, CB who will be a great addition to the backfield without costing the absurdity that I am sure DRC will. Nothing wrong with a Hall/Cason/Jones/Kirkpatrick/Ghee CB group.

***With Byrd/Cason, the starting secondary goes from 123 years old to 109, which is a huge difference.

5. Jordan Shipley
He's healthy and it's time to bring him back home. The Bengals have no guy to go to on 3rd down to get that conversion since they let Shipley go rather than IR him or let him sit on the roster (they gave Moch and Allen forever though).. instead choosing people like Binns, Tate, and Whalen over him. Here's a nice stat to think on.. Shipley played in the last 7 games of the season. With just 7 games, his season total catches were better than any Bengal not named Green or Hawkins. With just 7 games his season total yardage was better than any Bengal not named Green or Hawkins. Bring him back home, he's good.

Honestly, I would be okay with either. I think Cooley would be a great mentor for Gresham and Charles, because he was a real good receiving TE on some real terrible Redskin teams... Fasano would be a decent addition more solely from a production standpoint though he's not really a beast or anything.

Anyway.. that's my list. My goals were pretty much get AJ Green help (Bowe), convert 3rd downs better (Shipley/TE), get a more explosive runner to pair with a draft pick (Ivory), and get younger and more talented in the secondary (Byrd/Cason).

This team has the money to make this happen. I think it's like $55m in cap space not counting guys who need to/should be cut (Allen/Cook/Wharton/Connor) and such. Get most of these guys, sign all your important folk back, and have a decent draft and the Bengals have as talented of a team as anyone in the league.
As pipe dreams go, this is a good one. J/K.

Good plan. Tired of talking about the same holes year after year. This would fill a bunch of holes. LB is one spot where rookies can succeed, so taking care of that in the draft suits us. Wish it would happen. Ain't holding my breath.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2511

Quote:
1. Jairus Byrd

2. Dwayne Bowe

3. Chris Ivory (RFA)

4. Antoine Cason

5. Jordan Shipley

I like Byrd, Bowe and even Cason but I think we can get a better RB in the draft than Ivory, I dont hate the TEs but Im not sure those are the type of guys there gonna be looking for. As for Shipley Ill pass considering I think Sanu will excel in that role with Bowe as the #2.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4231

I'm curious as to why some of you would want Cason over Derek Cox?

Cox is close to shutdown in Jax while Cason has been a whipping boy in SD.

Both will be more than the Bengals want to pay.

Anyone want to bet that Cox get a bigger deal if he isn't franchised?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38088

Hartline would be such a great fit for us. He's good enough to take pressure off of AJ, as well as a decent #1 option in the event AJ got hurt (knock on wood). I like the sound of the LB that Sunset mentioned, (LBs can often play at a high level well into their 30's, so I'll take the more productive 30 year old there). That big corner out of Miami sounds awesome too.

I don't want any of the FA RBs I've seen mentioned....I wanna see us land next year's Doug Martin in the draft, not try to pair up Ellis with some retread FA that's already proven himself to be average i.e. Reggie Bush or Pierre Thomas.

A RB who comes in as a rookie with the potential to be as dynamic as a Martin was this year intrigues me way more than trying to piece meal together some mediocre RBBC.

Let's at least try and land a RB that defenses have to respect enough to open up some play action game, which I think AJ would absolutely feast on.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones4980 View Post
I like Byrd, Bowe and even Cason but I think we can get a better RB in the draft than Ivory, I dont hate the TEs but Im not sure those are the type of guys there gonna be looking for. As for Shipley Ill pass considering I think Sanu will excel in that role with Bowe as the #2.
The Bengals might be able to get a better RB in the draft than Ivory, that's why I said combine him WITH a draft pick. The Bengals have a pretty garbage RB corps right now. BJGE is average at best (all his good runs come when the O-line gave him monstrous holes that even you or I could run through).. and if he goes down, the Bengals have nobody who can pick up the ball and carry it 20 times a game.

The 49ers had Frank Gore and used a 2nd on LaMichael James..... the Seahawks already had Marshawn Lynch and used a 4th rounder on Robert Turbin..... the Ravens had Ray Rice and still used a 3rd round pick on Bernard Pierce.

I was suggesting picking up Chris Ivory and still using like a 2nd round pick on a RB and relegating BJGE to short yardage/goal line. Rather than just filling up a hole, it would then become a legitimate strength on the roster.

12 years of Head Coaching has accumulated to one more nugget of pure knowledge: "We gotta play better." 12 more years of Marvin!

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 95-93-2 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38088

Quote:
The Bengals might be able to get a better RB in the draft than Ivory, that's why I said combine him WITH a draft pick. The Bengals have a pretty garbage RB corps right now. BJGE is average at best (all his good runs come when the O-line gave him monstrous holes that even you or I could run through).. and if he goes down, the Bengals have nobody who can pick up the ball and carry it 20 times a game.

The 49ers had Frank Gore and used a 2nd on LaMichael James..... the Seahawks already had Marshawn Lynch and used a 4th rounder on Robert Turbin..... the Ravens had Ray Rice and still used a 3rd round pick on Bernard Pierce.

I was suggesting picking up Chris Ivory and still using like a 2nd round pick on a RB and relegating BJGE to short yardage/goal line. Rather than just filling up a hole, it would then become a legitimate strength on the roster.
Agree, I think LB, S, WR2 can be addressed via FA/guys we already have getting healthy. If there is a RB we like enough, I'm perfectly fine with even using the first rounder to make sure we get him.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7925

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Agree, I think LB, S, WR2 can be addressed via FA/guys we already have getting healthy. If there is a RB we like enough, I'm perfectly fine with even using the first rounder to make sure we get him.
There's plenty of solid LBs in FA, Paul Kruger sticks out most to me. He played SAM in the Ravens hybrid defense, and picked up 9 sacks, Marvin has wanted a pass rushing LB ever since he left Baltimore and had Peter Boulware(look at David Pollack, putting MJ at LB and drafting Moch), in Kruger he has a guy that can rush the passer and has experience in the 4-3 and 3-4(if Zim decides to go with some hybrid looks). My favorite safety in this FA is Byrd 28 turnovers in 4 years(18 interceptions and 10 forced fumbles) he's a true playmaker and is 26. WR2 there's some interesting guys like Brian Hartline, Greg Jennings, Danny Amendola, Donnie Avery, and Jerome Simpson. Obviously there's Wallace and Bowe, but I think the other guys I listed would be more realistic. Simpson had the best season of his career in his only season with Gruden. Simpson is the one I want least though.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-15-2013, 05:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones4980 View Post
I don't really like this mentality, seems like everyone that someone mentions you don't want because there not young enough, while understandable I just don't think its as big of a deal as you do.

Let me put it this way, why wouldn't we sign a guy like Daryl Smith to replace Lawson and he could probably play 3-4 more seasons which takes off pressure to draft a LB if its not BPA this year. Same thing with guys like Jennings, Byrd, and Bush, these guys can come in and play at a high level right now.

Youth is great but its not the most important factor imo.

As for signing Bush Id say it would be a great signing depending on the price, he has a injury history but the guy is a play maker at RB and we are sorely lacking in that spot. Id prefer to sign Bush and draft an every down back in the first 3 rounds to replace BJGE but itll never happen.
The list I put up are all guys in the 25-27 year old range that could all come play at a high level right now. You talk about youth as if I put up a list of second year players. These guys are veterans.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11270

I'd be happy with Hartline, Durant, or Smith to be honest. The Bengals have a pretty decent chance at getting any of them (as stated in this thread). But I think Durant is most likely to come here.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
I'd be happy with Hartline, Durant, or Smith to be honest. The Bengals have a pretty decent chance at getting any of them (as stated in this thread). But I think Durant is most likely to come here.
I absolutely agree.

WLB - Howard
MLB - Burfict
SLB - Durant

That right there would be a legit LB corp. Then if we could add one of the big young physical corners this defense would be lights out.

Hartline I believe to be a realistic guy to acquire as opposed to a Bowe or Wallace. People can say what they want but a guy like Bowe is looking to be "the man" somewhere and the Bengals would be looking for a compliment guy. Hartline would be the perfect fit.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:57 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I absolutely agree.

WLB - Howard
MLB - Burfict
SLB - Durant

That right there would be a legit LB corp. Then if we could add one of the big young physical corners this defense would be lights out.

Hartline I believe to be a realistic guy to acquire as opposed to a Bowe or Wallace. People can say what they want but a guy like Bowe is looking to be "the man" somewhere and the Bengals would be looking for a compliment guy. Hartline would be the perfect fit.
It would be. Plus, the Bengals would have Moch back, and are able to build within the draft as well. IE: Get someone like Khaseem Greene or Sean Porter.

Bowe isn't coming here. Nor do I even want him here. Talent is there, but a head case and seems to be all about "me". And Wallace isn't even a thought.

Hartline does have a decent chance here, but I could see him staying in Miami.

Follow me on Twitter:
Writer For
My YouTube channel:

Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
It would be. Plus, the Bengals would have Moch back, and are able to build within the draft as well. IE: Get someone like Khaseem Greene or Sean Porter.

Bowe isn't coming here. Nor do I even want him here. Talent is there, but a head case and seems to be all about "me". And Wallace isn't even a thought.

Hartline does have a decent chance here, but I could see him staying in Miami.
There is much talk about Porter and Greene and they look to be good players but I honestly see Mays as being much the same player as both those guys. I think we should absolutely be working Mays at WLB in camp. Anyone can say what they want about Mays but the kid has the physical skills you just have to find his fit.

The LB I would like to see us draft is Gerald Hodges out of Penn State. I think this kid will have a very good pro career.

I could see Miami paying Hartline to stay but remember he is a Canton boy. Maybe coming home to play would be a draw for him.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
There is much talk about Porter and Greene and they look to be good players but I honestly see Mays as being much the same player as both those guys. I think we should absolutely be working Mays at WLB in camp. Anyone can say what they want about Mays but the kid has the physical skills you just have to find his fit.

The LB I would like to see us draft is Gerald Hodges out of Penn State. I think this kid will have a very good pro career.

I could see Miami paying Hartline to stay but remember he is a Canton boy. Maybe coming home to play would be a draw for him.
I also love Hodges. I watch Penn State all the time since I live here (and announce basketball games, home only). He played pretty well in some tough games. This East and West game will be fun to watch,

I want Hartline. Plus, it would help put Sanu in the slot, and allow us to use Hawkins in more gadget plays and be more versatile.

Have Sanu under center, and Hawkins coming into the backfield as a HB. Green and Hartline on opposite sides, and Marvin in the slot. Could use this for a lot of trickery, because Sanu can throw, run, and give the ball to Hawkins.

Follow me on Twitter:
Writer For
My YouTube channel:

Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 82

Give me DeAndre and Big Sean Smith and we have something special
Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I absolutely agree.

WLB - Howard
MLB - Burfict
SLB - Durant

I hate it.. but I am calling this right now. The 2013 starting LBers (not accounting for injuries) will almost certainly look like this.

WLB - Howard
MLB - Burfict
SLB - Lamur/Joiner (Likely in some kind of platoon situation.)

Marvin likes Lamur, and they clearly liked Joiner since they held onto his rights while he went to prison... so I honestly and sadly don't see them drafting a LBer early. I am going to guess they'll draft a LBer in the middle rounds to be developed to be Howard's eventual replacement.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9008

we will probably bring in sergio kindle for a physical and rolando mcclain for a tryout
4th Tony Washington LB
4th Quandre Diggs CB
5th Eric Lefeld T
5th Corey Crawford DE
6th Adrian Amos S
7th Tre McBride WR
2014 draft
1st Deone Bucannon S
2nd Cyrus Kouandjio T
3rd Pierre Desir CB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Austin Franklin WR
UDFA Dede Lattimore LB
UDFA Jerome Smith RB
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Josh Stewart WR
UDFA Avery Patterson CB
UDFA Antonio Andrews RB
Old 01-15-2013, 04:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3335

Quote:
This is what I was staying away from. I was looking at younger players that are not stop gaps. I think that is what many are tired of seeing. I want to see young players brought in that we are looking at to be several year starters rather than keeping positions warm.

He is a great LB but I want to see young talent.
Get Daryl Smith and still draft a good OLB to groom. IMO put Smith at SAM and Howard back at WILL as that would be a better fit. Draft an OLB like Sean Porter who is pretty good both in coverage and rushing the passer, but allow him to grow as a player as quality depth for a year or two.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I hate it.. but I am calling this right now. The 2013 starting LBers (not accounting for injuries) will almost certainly look like this.

WLB - Howard
MLB - Burfict
SLB - Lamur/Joiner (Likely in some kind of platoon situation.)

Marvin likes Lamur, and they clearly liked Joiner since they held onto his rights while he went to prison... so I honestly and sadly don't see them drafting a LBer early. I am going to guess they'll draft a LBer in the middle rounds to be developed to be Howard's eventual replacement.
In what world would Lamur play the strongside?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Get Daryl Smith and still draft a good OLB to groom. IMO put Smith at SAM and Howard back at WILL as that would be a better fit. Draft an OLB like Sean Porter who is pretty good both in coverage and rushing the passer, but allow him to grow as a player as quality depth for a year or two.
Or instead of a bandaid and having to groom someone you just sign Durant or Levy.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
In what world would Lamur play the strongside?
The world of 2012 for starters. He was in rotation with Lawson.. he took a lot of passing downs from Lawson at SAM. The depth chart doesn't show it because you know how Marvin is with the depth chart. Not to mention he was Moch's replacement on the roster for that matter.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
The world of 2012 for starters. He was in rotation with Lawson.. he took a lot of passing downs from Lawson at SAM. The depth chart doesn't show it because you know how Marvin is with the depth chart. Not to mention he was Moch's replacement on the roster for that matter.
Moch was not a LB and the majority of the time that Lawson came off the field it was to go to a nickel set for coverage. Lamur will not be playing SLB on a regular basis ......period. They may move Howard to SLB and Lamur to WLB. The guy. Is listed at 230 and that is really pushing it. Ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by OSUfan; 01-15-2013 at 07:16 PM.