Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 48605
Default Re: I want someone to SELL me on drafting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Another player whose had season ending injuries, no thanks. I'd take Mellette over him any day.

I do have Mellette in my mock.

Was just throwing a late round - UDFA out there to emphasise the fact that I don't feel the need for the Bengals to take a WR in the 1st half of the draft. As I stated in my earlier post, if they draft better blockers and tacklers, the existing skill players would flourish.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3534

It's a good year for potential 2nd rounders IMO.

Cordarrelle Patterson
Robert Woods
DeAndre Hopkins
Justin Hunter
Terrence Williams
Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
It's a good year for potential 2nd rounders IMO.

Cordarrelle Patterson
Robert Woods
DeAndre Hopkins
Justin Hunter
Terrence Williams

LOL when are you guys gonna watch some film on Quinton Patton.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9474

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
mid 4.4
That's pretty fast for a guy his size. I'm on board! Says he's 6'1" and 234.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 01-13-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdaddy08 View Post
Read the post again. I only compared because BB started the comparison. I also pointed out that Chad and TJ were vets while ours were all rookies and second year receivers. So I put in my two cents of what I think will happen in three years when our guys will be in the league 4 years. It was a comparison of what they are at the same time of their careers. But thank you for the very insightful comment.

WhoDey4ever!!!
It was based on my opinion about skillsets and that can be compared now. You stated that you put in your two cents about where they will be in 3yrs and thats fine because I never said they weren't talented. Its not a major hole on this team but I think they still need an explosive guy opposite AJ.Just like I believe they need a center and a 3 down runningback to START w/ BJGE as the complimentary back. Those are all debatable but I'm entitled to an opinion right.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

Quote:
Sanu and Jones have not proven anything yet. Comparing them to other WR's who done something is stupid.
Usually guys coming into the NFL are compared to someone rather its fair or not . Most QB's to Manning/Brady and they haven't even thrown a pass yet in the NFL. Heck Luck was compared to Manning very early on at Stanford before he even got to Indy. You can go down the list AJ to Randy Moss etc etc.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42863

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
That's pretty fast for a guy his size. I'm on board! Says he's 6'1" and 234.
Dude had a catch of at least 20 yards in 12 of 13 games this year and most came from what he did after he got the ball. K-State lived on Klien running the ball all year, if it would have been a pro-style O; Harper coulda put up incredable numbers. If anybody watched the Fiesta Bowl it was obvious that K-State only had 1 player that was in the same class as the Oregon players.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 51752

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
Here's your late round, small school sleeper.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...randon-kaufman
I'm an Eastern alum/fan and I'm a big Kaufman fan. He had a crazy catch against Portland State thus year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGt5weA7ZOs

The thing I worry about with Kaufman is that sometimes he gives up on passes if they don't come directly to him.

You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Quote:
The price of greatness is responsibility.-Mike Riley, Oregon State football coach

Rodney Holman-318
Jermaine Gresham-254
Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

I know I'll probably get laughed at for this and shunned off the boards, but......

Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech (Formerly Tennessee Volunteers)
Ht: 6'3" Wt: 206

I know he has accountability and locker room concerns, but everything I have read on this kid has "Juilio Jones Clone" written somewhere in the description. I dont know about you but that sounds great to me.

CBS Sports.....

"Rogers is a virtual Julio Jones clone, exhibiting an exciting combination of size, strength and explosiveness.

Strengths: Despite playing in the ultra-physical SEC, Rogers proved too strong for most teams to consider pressing. He's also versatile, showing the ability to line up outside, as well as in the slot. While it is easy to get excited about Rogers' size-speed potential, one of his greatest attributes is simply his toughness, as he absorbed several big collisions on games viewed and never dropped a pass due to a hit while at Tennessee. Rogers is a powerful runner who fights for additional yardage and has the agility and speed to run away from the pack for explosive plays.

Weaknesses: Generally a reliable pass catcher, but will occasionally look to juke the defender before securing the pass, resulting in an occasional bad drop. Until he cleans up the conception that he's a troublemaker, it may not matter how talented Rogers is, NFL teams will be too concerned to give him the first-round grade his talent deserves."

He may be someone we can target in the 3rd round. He is going to fall because of character concerns, we all know that, but this kid is a first round talent and would be rated in the top of the WR class if he didnt screw up his Tenn. gig. Marvin Lewis is known to look past character issues (PacMan, Vontaze), why not take a chance and let this kid be Marvin's "project" this year. I think the upside is undeniable. Lets give him a shot.

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2980

I still don't understand how Calvin Johnson breaks Jerry Rices 20 year record without having a real "number 2"? I mean how could this happen? Is Stafford that much better at throwing into double/triple coverage. Does Pettigrew demand a lot of attention?

I'm just confused seems like a "real number 2" shouldn't really matter as much when you have one of the best WR in the game taking all that coverage away.

So OP I can't sell you on the WR in the first. If they want to grab a guy in the 3rd/4th ok, maybe like C.Harper or K. Stills. or a guy who can return kicks.
There isn't an AJ or Jones in this draft and K. Allen will be gone before we pick.

GB has all these studs at WR and Rogers, who I would say is one of the best, spend a lot of time on his back and running for his life because of the OLine and no running game.

Build the running game and the rest will follow IMO, Dalton is not a guy right now who will carry a team with his arm.

The team has drafted really well how about a 2010 draft redo, Dez in the 1st (Gresham) , and Hernadez in the 3rd (Shipley or Ghee).

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
It's the biggest need on our team.

Our offense *****.

We have a young QB who struggled at times because he has no weapons and we need him to be successful if we are going to accomplish anything.

Whenever the bengals have been good in the past, they have had two pro- bowl caliber WRs.

It's a passing league and we need to be able to put lots of points on the board in order to keep up with contending teams. We have trouble just scoring one offensive TD in a game.

Having a starting caliber WR will open up the entire offense by allowing guys like Sanu to be the role players they are more suited to so they will be more effective.

And there will be several excellent WRs available when we pick.
Bigger than safety and linebacker? We struggled because Dalton went through growing pains and our lack of balance on offense. We have the weapons, just not the consistency.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22118

Quote:
Originally Posted by renorvis View Post
Bigger than safety and linebacker? We struggled because Dalton went through growing pains and our lack of balance on offense. We have the weapons, just not the consistency.
We're still missing a weapon or two. If Gruden/Dalton and company can't produce with what they have, give them more and/or better.

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
We're still missing a weapon or two. If Gruden/Dalton and company can't produce with what they have, give them more and/or better.
Not at the expense of missing out on prospects that can help us out. It would be silly to pass on a safety for wideout. Gruden and Dalton need to get it done with what they have before asking for more.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Not at the expense of missing out on prospects that can help us out. It would be silly to pass on a safety for wideout. Gruden and Dalton need to get it done with what they have before asking for more.
Obviously what we had wasn't good enough to get it done, that's why you upgrade.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

I'd rather take our 2nd or 3rd and trade for a proven WR vs. drafting another guy that needs a season or two to MAYBE be solid.

The Bears got Marshall for 2 3rd round picks, so there should be a team willing to bite for a 2nd.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
I'd rather take our 2nd or 3rd and trade for a proven WR vs. drafting another guy that needs a season or two to MAYBE be solid.

The Bears got Marshall for 2 3rd round picks, so there should be a team willing to bite for a 2nd.
Why not just sign Hartline he's young and would be relatively cheap
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Obviously what we had wasn't good enough to get it done, that's why you upgrade.
Who is an upgrade in the draft over who we have? This crop of WR isn't eye popping, the experts are struggling to say who the consensus top WR is this year. No elite talent, good but not elite.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Who is an upgrade in the draft over who we have? This crop of WR isn't eye popping, the experts are struggling to say who the consensus top WR is this year. No elite talent, good but not elite.
GOOD wr's are better than some on our roster that's more than evident.

I can name a bunch whose better than Hawkins,whalen,saznebacher(sp) and tate. It's not that hard.

Quinton Patton
Ryan Swope
DeAndre Hopkins
Stedman Bailey
Terrence Williams
Aaron Mellete
Josh Boyce
Chris Harper
Tavarres King
Markus Wheaton

That's just to name a few off the top of my head i'm sure their is more!

Last edited by pulses; 01-14-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1354

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
I still don't understand how Calvin Johnson breaks Jerry Rices 20 year record without having a real "number 2"? I mean how could this happen? Is Stafford that much better at throwing into double/triple coverage. Does Pettigrew demand a lot of attention?

I'm just confused seems like a "real number 2" shouldn't really matter as much when you have one of the best WR in the game taking all that coverage away.

So OP I can't sell you on the WR in the first. If they want to grab a guy in the 3rd/4th ok, maybe like C.Harper or K. Stills. or a guy who can return kicks.
There isn't an AJ or Jones in this draft and K. Allen will be gone before we pick.

GB has all these studs at WR and Rogers, who I would say is one of the best, spend a lot of time on his back and running for his life because of the OLine and no running game.

Build the running game and the rest will follow IMO, Dalton is not a guy right now who will carry a team with his arm.

The team has drafted really well how about a 2010 draft redo, Dez in the 1st (Gresham) , and Hernadez in the 3rd (Shipley or Ghee).

Currently i'm not the biggest fan of gresham but still looking back he was the right pick. Dez has had more problems than hes worth at least for the bengals. The other pick that was widely talked about was taylor mays and we all know how that would have worked out.

as for the 3rd shipley was still a great pick, if he wasnt injured(which mind you wasnt until after he was drafted) he would be a very consistent slot WR.

I agree with most of the rest of what you said though. We need to get a RB to help the run game. You and others mention these #2's on teams with elite QBs. Many of the QBs make the WR's look better than they are due to the exceptional QB play.

I am a big WR guy but dont think we need a wr in the first 3 rounds this year, unless a very high value one drops to us. I really like both sanu AND jones, and i wasnt a fan of jerome simpson, caldwell, tate, or binns.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11246

Quote:
Nope. Gresham has done well here. Most YAC for a TE, and 14th in the league. Has less drops than Dez Bryant this year as well. Even if you include the playoffs. Even Hernandez had more drops than Gresham.

Gresham has done well while playing for the Bengals. He was the #2 receiving players on this team.

Oh, and by the way. Gresham is one of 3 tight ends in NFL history to have over 50 receptions in their first 3 years in the league.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25290
bengals Re: I want someone to SELL me on drafting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
a WR in the first 2 or 3 rounds!

I haven't been open to drafting a WR early, but after reviewing our offense, I guess I would be for it. AJ Green is all we have that is a top talent. Marvin Jones seemed like he was starting to make a statement but the season came to an end. Andrew Hawkins is a slot receiver and outside of a few games, did not really have too much of an effect on our offense this year. Mo Sanu was playing very well until he got hurt. I definitely see him starting for us next year. Brandon Tate will hopefully not be with us next year. Jermaine Gresham is a good tight end, not great, but he doesnt **** like many on here think. He is not a blocker, so why do we continue to use him as one. Orson Charles did not really do too much, but there were some good plays that he was involved in.

Its pretty clear we need a couple more pieces for our Offense to really take off. A RB is a definite need. Our WR situation could use one more big piece. Where does Jones fit in? Sanu? Hawkins? if we draft another WR?

1.) Who are the top WR's in this years draft?
2.) What round should we draft a WR in?
One thing to keep in mind is our receiving corp is young. There has been a thought that to really see a return on a WR takes 2-3 seasons. Our group is young but they do have talent and they have shown that. Patience can be difficult but often times that is what it takes with receivers.

I like the group we have in Jones, Sanu, and Hawkins. I even like the kid we brought back ....Hilton. I do think that we underutilized Orson Charles down the stretch. I would have liked to seen him taking some snaps in the slot after Sanu got injured.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25290
bengals Re: I want someone to SELL me on drafting....

Quote:
Because in general WRs do not make a huge impact as rookies. There are exceptions to this like AJ and Calvin but as a whole it takes a season or two to really see what you have.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7906

Quote:

Matt Stafford's arm is much stronger so he can bomb it 80 yards while Calvin runs past guys, plus he's very hard to bring down. Stafford's arm strength also allows him to force it into tighter windows better.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2980

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Nope. Gresham has done well here. Most YAC for a TE, and 14th in the league. Has less drops than Dez Bryant this year as well. Even if you include the playoffs. Even Hernandez had more drops than Gresham.

Gresham has done well while playing for the Bengals. He was the #2 receiving players on this team.

Oh, and by the way. Gresham is one of 3 tight ends in NFL history to have over 50 receptions in their first 3 years in the league.

LIKE I SAID IF HE COULD BLOCK IT WOULD BE DIFFERENT!

You really would take Gresh and Ghee, over Bryant and Hernandez?

Gresh has done well here, he is a first round TE who has taken the majority of snaps of any TE's here also.

When the pressure is on he seems to disappear, have bad penalties and drops. In the six AFC North games this year he had 192 yards combined and 1 TD.

I know, I know, Gresh has less drops and more YAC.

This team hab no maaahbulls!

Last edited by D's Nuts and Bolts; 01-15-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 106

Quote:
LOL when are you guys gonna watch some film on Quinton Patton.
I've seen Quinton Patton and he's not that good. Clearly you have a man crush on him. So, for those who are not familiar with who he is, here is his draft profile.

Weaknesses: Does not appear to possess elite breakaway speed. Struggles to gain separation on deep passes and while a very good route-runner, doesn't possess true explosiveness out of his breaks. Isn't afraid to mix it up with defenders as he runs his routes and will push-off on occasion to help gain separation, drawing the rare offensive pass interference flag (Texas A&M). Possesses generally reliable hands but will drop an occasional pass, especially when defenders are battling with him. Must get stronger and improve his concentration to make the tough grabs with defenders ripping away at his arms as the ball arrives... Can make defenders miss but doesn't show much strength to run through arm tackles.

Compares To: Nate Washington, WR, Tennessee Titans -- Scouts had questions about Washington's readiness for the NFL when he left Tiffin but he, like Patton, has used his savvy and deceptive athleticism to emerge as a quality NFL starter.

Source: cbssports.com

That does not sound like a 2nd RD, #2 WR. Drops passes, lacks explosiveness out of breaks, lacks strength to break arm tackles, lacks elite speed, and will push off to gain separation thus drawing offensive penalties. No thanks, he is not an upgrade over Jones or Sanu.