Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1762
Default Re: Age Old Question

You have got to check this out.

http://news.yahoo.com/government-sti...235107279.html
Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23180

I suppose you have never seen a trained police dog? Mine are not police dogs, however they are the same in that they respond to my voice and my voice only. Nobody needs to worry about my shotgun or other weapons, I will never go postal ever, however breaking into my home and "neutralizing" my dogs is not going postal, it is just protecting myself. My dogs are perfectly fine in public, shoot the kids even play with them. Breaking into a home is totally different however.

Any this thread is not about me or my dogs, it is about the social issue that is raised in regards to weapons. Some people today put the blame on everything except the real problem. I grew up with cartoons like bugs bunny, Elmer Fudd, and Wiley Coyote, they took them off the air because they were to violent. Same goes with movies today and even music. Here is an original idea, instead of putting the blame on all those things, how about parents try raising their kids to be responsible, and if there is a problem with them, get them help.

Okay, you have special dogs that only respond to your voice able to kill everything one second, then be kid friendly the next...

And I agree that gun control is not the issue, and simple responsibility, familiarity, and eduction abut guns is a proper solution.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23180

Do you want to teach common sense? Common sense tends to come with experience: yours or someone else's.

Nah. I barely have enough as it is. I would be a fine marker for the minimum acceptable level though.

A CDC study on helmet laws effects:

http://www.saferoads.org/cdc-study-m...lth-care-costs

I agree they save lives. But there comes a point where the busy bodies need to let people make mistakes. Motorcycles are much more dangerous than cars, for a bunch of reasons I tried to make, but it came out a bit jumbled. Motorcycles were responsible for 3615 deaths in 2010, which is a much higher total that those killed by the weapons many propose banning.

The thought is similar to the diet/exercise thing, if saving lives is the goal, go with the most effective route. Using tragedy to push gun control agendas, politicians and media, not you, is reprehensible when one considers all the other good they could be doing without anything near this level of posturing and infighting.

I think I'll just give up on the debate. It is tired, goes nowhere, and zero progress has been made, except in seeing how ignorant some are when it comes to guns. Again, not directed at you.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 78531

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Do you want to teach common sense? Common sense tends to come with experience: yours or someone else's.

Nah. I barely have enough as it is. I would be a fine marker for the minimum acceptable level though.

I agree they save lives. But there comes a point where the busy bodies need to let people make mistakes. Motorcycles are much more dangerous than cars, for a bunch of reasons I tried to make, but it came out a bit jumbled. Motorcycles were responsible for 3615 deaths in 2010, which is a much higher total that those killed by the weapons many propose banning.

The thought is similar to the diet/exercise thing, if saving lives is the goal, go with the most effective route. Using tragedy to push gun control agendas, politicians and media, not you, is reprehensible when one considers all the other good they could be doing without anything near this level of posturing and infighting.

I think I'll just give up on the debate. It is tired, goes nowhere, and zero progress has been made, except in seeing how ignorant some are when it comes to guns. Again, not directed at you.
Yeah, I see your point. But it's hard to have an effective "witch hunt" if the witch has too much political power (i.e. diet/exercise, etc.), right?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

Wouldn't it be great if the government learned to use common sense?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2855

http://youtu.be/rNW69-TFh0o
I'm done
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICKYSHUFFLE View Post
There it is folks. Also Obama allows his children to have armed guards while in school, while denying such protection for the American citizens children. I guess he figures his kids are more deserving then the children of American citizens.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36238

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenetwolf View Post
There it is folks. Also Obama allows his children to have armed guards while in school, while denying such protection for the American citizens children. I guess he figures his kids are more deserving then the children of American citizens.
How many children int he US have the amount of knowledge about them out there as the first family? How many are prime targets for terrorism?

This isn't to say the children of the POTUS, any POTUS, are more important than any other, but the threat to them is substantially greater than any other child in the United States.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICKYSHUFFLE View Post
His big point is on-duty police officers carry guns? And your home in Kentucky is as much a target to terrorist attacks as the Capitol Building?

That's the best joke I've heard this morning.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have asked throughout, if all the proposed "banned" weapons were banned, how many lives would have been saved in 2012?
What's the number of people murdered with automatic weapons in this country over the past year? Decade? Half-century? Century?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
What's the number of people murdered with automatic weapons in this country over the past year? Decade? Half-century? Century?
I'm actually curious about the total numbers for both, but also the numbers killed by legally purchased Class 3 firearms and the number for legally purchased firearms that would be banned under the new law.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35140

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
I'm actually curious about the total numbers for both, but also the numbers killed by legally purchased Class 3 firearms and the number for legally purchased firearms that would be banned under the new law.
How many people have been killed by violent video games or violent movies in the past 20 yearS?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Here is your answer

http://news.yahoo.com/government-sti...235107279.html
Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
How many children int he US have the amount of knowledge about them out there as the first family? How many are prime targets for terrorism?

This isn't to say the children of the POTUS, any POTUS, are more important than any other, but the threat to them is substantially greater than any other child in the United States.

You think his kids go too public schools? None of the school shootings that have taken place were private schools.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Interesting.

Quote:
In the 1980s and 1990s, research on gun violence in the United States was going strong. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC) funded studies on gun violence, and research was bearing fruit, said Fred Rivara, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Washington and Seattle Children's Hospital. In particular, Rivara said, agency-funded research had revealed that residents of homes with guns had a higher likelihood of violent death in the home. [The History of Human Aggression]

However, once those findings came to the attention of the National Rifle Association (NRA), a political firestorm ensued. Congress members who supported the NRA first attempted to remove all funding from the NCIPC. That failed, but Congress did manage to remove $2.6 million from the CDC's overall budget, the exact amount spent on firearm injury research in the past year, Rivara wrote Dec. 21 in a commentary in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

More chillingly, Congress added language to the budget appropriations bill forbidding any CDC funding that might "advocate or promote gun control."

"The net effect is that we don't have any research going on in the public health sector about ways to prevent gun violence," Rivara told LiveScience.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
You think his kids go too public schools? None of the school shootings that have taken place were private schools.
School shootings, in general, are done by people who are unstable. The threat faced by the first family is one that comes from people involved in networks and organizations with planning and lots of money behind them. That's just where the differences start.

Comparing the threat of a school shooting to the threat faced by Obama's children is flawed logic, and that's putting it lightly.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
How many people have been killed by violent video games or violent movies in the past 20 yearS?
What does that have to do with my post?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Location: In my profile being forced to remove the dumbness...LOL
Rep Points: 29027

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
You violate the CoC when you discriminate against gender.
This in responce to MS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCincinnatiKid23 View Post
I'm literally speechless. I've typed so many things I want to say here, but all of them violate the CoC. and I'm a bengals fan. Any biased for sharing a fanbase is out the window with you. Please, do us a favor and become a colts fan.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7116

Quote:

A lot.

I'm a Badass gamer, i be pwnin noobs left n right on the sticks.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
What does that have to do with my post?
the quote button was closer than the reply button.

Additonally with the new gun ban they are working on sanctions for the video gaming industry and Movie industry.

Although there are rating systems in place and the only thing that needs to change as far as violence in video games and movies is parents letting their kids play or watch them before they are old enough to understand.

Last edited by XenoMorph; 01-16-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldog View Post
A lot.

I'm a Badass gamer, i be pwnin noobs left n right on the sticks.
Lol.... i knew this one was comnig from someone...

those are pixels representing people...
Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
the quote button was closer than the reply button.
You know, there is this button that says "END" that will take you to the bottom of the page.

Quote:
Additonally with the new gun ban they are working on sanctions for the video gaming industry and Movie industry.

Although there are rating systems in place and the only thing that needs to change as far as violence in video games and movies is parents letting their kids play or watch them before they are old enough to understand.
Yeah, that's my thing. The rating system is in place, the parents just aren't following it. People need to STFU on this one. No more legislation is needed on this.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's my thing. The rating system is in place, the parents just aren't following it. People need to STFU on this one. No more legislation is needed on this.
Agreed.

my buddy that worked at a video game store say he was trying to warn a parent about how violent the game is and the lady said she couldnt say no to her son

How sad is that.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 700

Quote:
You know, there is this button that says "END" that will take you to the bottom of the page.

exactly, 12 year olds playing M rated games is a parental fail, and is due to a parent not knowing how to tell their children "No"
Old 01-16-2013, 02:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalbobZilla View Post
exactly, 12 year olds playing M rated games is a parental fail, and is due to a parent not knowing how to tell their children "No"
But so and so's daddy lets them play it...