Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2109
Default What position of need is easiest to upgrade via Free Agency?

Sam, mike, RB, Safety, C-G we can say are our 5 biggest needs going into free agency and the draft. What position do you believe will be the easiest to upgrade to maybe open up the draft for a luxury pick. I believe most teams have success in FA in interior lineman and defensive secodary. It seems have most success with interior olineman or Safeties. Some of you say Reggie Bush should be at the top of FA wish list, but how many times have you seen a RB switch teams and have success. I would go hard after the top safety and a 2nd tier guard in free agency sand leave the rest up 2 the draft. Stay away from RBs, WRs, and defensive lineman. Don't spend money just for the sake of spending money.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7812
Default Re: What position of need is easiest to upgrade via Free Agency?

1) Reggie Bush RB Miami
Bush can do it all, run, catch, and return punts and kicks if needed, plus he has the speed we've sorely needed for a while now.

2) Greg Jennings WR Green Bay
Jennings didn't have the best year, but it wasn't because he suddenly got bad, he was injured, and when he came back Randall Cobb and James Jones had stepped up to the point to Jennings was almost an after thought. He's just what we need at receiver, good route runner, good hands, can take the top off of defenses if necessary, and a veteran presence can only help our young guys especially since Jennings is the Anti-Diva.

3) Paul Kruger LB Ravens
Now I know you're going to say he's a 3-4 guy but he's very athletic and could be one of those guys who succeeds in both systems. Marvin has wanted a pass rushing SAM ever since he left Baltimore when he had Peter Boulware. He had 9 sacks this season while only starting 5 games and 5.5 last season while starting none. Plus this move weakens the Ravens. Now I don't know about him in the run or pass game because I don't watch Baltimore, you're going to have to ask someone else like Truck or eoxyod.

4) Sean Smith CB Miami
Assuming we don't resign Newman who will be 35 in September and Clements who will be 34 in December, the smart thing to do would be to sign a guy just hitting his prime. Look no further than Smith. We've had trouble with taller receivers, well Smith could be our answer, he's 6'4" 214. He has good speed and decent ball skills, plus he'll only be 26 in July and just hitting his prime. Now people will say we have Kirkpatrick, but there's no guarantee he'll be healthy or even any good. Smith is healthy and pretty good. I think a CB trio of Hall, Smith and Pacman is better than Hall, Allen/Kirk, and Pacman.

5) Jairus Byrd FS Buffalo
He is the definition of playmaker, with 18 career picks and 10 forced fumbles in just 4 seasons he has good speed for a safety and a knack for picking off passes. We could slide Reggie Nelson over since he plays both positions anyway and be solidified at safety for the next few years.

6) Jason Campbell QB Chicago
Campbell is a former first rounder with a rocket for an arm with some decent wheels. We need someone to push Dalton and Campbell is the best QB not named Flacco in the FA pool. Now I know people will say we have Gradkowski, do you honestly think Grad can push Dalton? The answer is no. He can do his "mentor" thing as the 3rd QB on the depth chart.

Quote from Truck on Kruger in run and pass game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Kruger is a rushing beast, and while he's not all-world in coverage, he's ok (better than anyone on our team aside from Howard, by the numbers).

In the run game, he's poorish, but he'd be better than anyone on our team after Burfict, by the numbers (he has a better stop percentage than Burfict though).

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-15-2013, 10:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
1) Reggie Bush RB Miami
Bush can do it all, run, catch, and return punts and kicks if needed, plus he has the speed we've sorely needed for a while now.

Jennings didn't have the best year, but it wasn't because he suddenly got bad, he was injured, and when he came back Randall Cobb and James Jones had stepped up to the point to Jennings was almost an after thought. He's just what we need at receiver, good route runner, good hands, can take the top off of defenses if necessary, and a veteran presence can only help our young guys especially since Jennings is the Anti-Diva.

3) Paul Kruger LB Ravens
Now I know you're going to say he's a 3-4 guy but he's very athletic and could be one of those guys who succeeds in both systems. Marvin has wanted a pass rushing SAM ever since he left Baltimore when he had Peter Boulware. He had 9 sacks this season while only starting 5 games and 5.5 last season while starting none. Plus this move weakens the Ravens. Now I don't know about him in the run or pass game because I don't watch Baltimore, you're going to have to ask someone else like Truck or eoxyod.

4) Sean Smith CB Miami
Assuming we don't resign Newman who will be 35 in September and Clements who will be 34 in December, the smart thing to do would be to sign a guy just hitting his prime. Look no further than Smith. We've had trouble with taller receivers, well Smith could be our answer, he's 6'4" 214. He has good speed and decent ball skills, plus he'll only be 26 in July and just hitting his prime. Now people will say we have Kirkpatrick, but there's no guarantee he'll be healthy or even any good. Smith is healthy and pretty good. I think a CB trio of Hall, Smith and Pacman is better than Hall, Allen/Kirk, and Pacman.

He is the definition of playmaker, with 18 career picks and 10 forced fumbles in just 4 seasons he has good speed for a safety and a knack for picking off passes. We could slide Reggie Nelson over since he plays both positions anyway and be solidified at safety for the next few years.

Campbell is a former first rounder with a rocket for an arm with some decent wheels. We need someone to push Dalton and Campbell is the best QB not named Flacco in the FA pool. Now I know people will say we have Gradkowski, do you honestly think Grad can push Dalton? The answer is no. He can do his "mentor" thing as the 3rd QB on the depth chart.

I would take Jennings and Kruger off your list. I think both players are products of a great system and will struggle outside that system. Jennings is to injury prone and Kruger does not fit the 4-3 at all. I would take Bush on a 2 year 6.5 million dollar contract but no RB is worth much in free agency anymore. Their a dime a dozen. Put 100% effort in Byrd.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
I would take Jennings and Kruger off your list. I think both players are products of a great system and will struggle outside that system. Jennings is to injury prone and Kruger does not fit the 4-3 at all. I would take Bush on a 2 year 6.5 million dollar contract but no RB is worth much in free agency anymore. Their a dime a dozen. Put 100% effort in Byrd.
You know the Ravens play a hybrid defense right? He played SAM in their 4-3. I would love to sign Byrd, he's hell of a playmaker.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9353

Quote:
No Byrd will get franchised. I like Jennings, maybe he could help this offense find some rhythm. Bush has always been in systems that didnt use him alot so he still has tread on the tires, hes worth a 3 year deal. Still want to draft a back though.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24280
bengals Re: What position of need is easiest to upgrade via Free Agency?

Quote:
sam, mike, rb, safety, c-g we can say are our 5 biggest needs going into free agency and the draft. What position do you believe will be the easiest to upgrade to maybe open up the draft for a luxury pick. I believe most teams have success in fa in interior lineman and defensive secodary. It seems have most success with interior olineman or safeties. Some of you say reggie bush should be at the top of fa wish list, but how many times have you seen a rb switch teams and have success. I would go hard after the top safety and a 2nd tier guard in free agency sand leave the rest up 2 the draft. Stay away from rbs, wrs, and defensive lineman. Don't spend money just for the sake of spending money.
olb
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
1) Reggie Bush RB Miami

3) Paul Kruger LB Ravens

4) Sean Smith CB Miami

Outside of Shaun Smith this list is ridiculous, IMO.

1) Reggie Bush - will be 28 in March, often injured. Makes more sense for the Bengals to get their speed guy in the draft as there are a good number of prospect available. To me, Bush makes zero sense.

2) Greg Jennings - will be seeking #1 WR money and will most likely get it. Coming off a season where he barely played due to injury I'm not giving him #1 money to be a #2 receiver. Think smarter here with guys like Hartline and Hixon that could be solid complments to AJ and allow Sanu and Jones to work inside more.

3) Paul Kruger - Where is the fit? You claim that Marvin wants a pass rushing SAM but that is not how the Bengals run their defense under Zimmer. Zimmer relies on the front four as much as any defense in the league sans the Giants. This defense requires LB's to be run stuffers and solid coverage guys. Kruger is neither.

4) Shaun Smith - I can go for this but, IMO, he'll get someone to pay him crazy CB money which would take him out of our range considering Hall's deal.

5) Jairus Byrd - He will also command top dollar in the safety FA market. With Nelson's contract pretty steep for a safety there are good options that offer more flexibility. Think Goldson from SF or Patrick Chung from NE.

6) Jason Campbell - The Dalton hate on this board is just stupid. My guess is that Gradkowski will get the first phone call but there is zero chance that Campbell comes here and zero chance that Dalton will be threatened by anyone who comes to be #2.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955

Durant from Detroit, darryll smith from jax at olb.

Pat chung is unused by Tue pats but decent...better than crocker bc of age.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
Outside of Shaun Smith this list is ridiculous, IMO.

1) Reggie Bush - will be 28 in March, often injured. Makes more sense for the Bengals to get their speed guy in the draft as there are a good number of prospect available. To me, Bush makes zero sense.

2) Greg Jennings - will be seeking #1 WR money and will most likely get it. Coming off a season where he barely played due to injury I'm not giving him #1 money to be a #2 receiver. Think smarter here with guys like Hartline and Hixon that could be solid complments to AJ and allow Sanu and Jones to work inside more.

3) Paul Kruger - Where is the fit? You claim that Marvin wants a pass rushing SAM but that is not how the Bengals run their defense under Zimmer. Zimmer relies on the front four as much as any defense in the league sans the Giants. This defense requires LB's to be run stuffers and solid coverage guys. Kruger is neither.

4) Shaun Smith - I can go for this but, IMO, he'll get someone to pay him crazy CB money which would take him out of our range considering Hall's deal.

5) Jairus Byrd - He will also command top dollar in the safety FA market. With Nelson's contract pretty steep for a safety there are good options that offer more flexibility. Think Goldson from SF or Patrick Chung from NE.

6) Jason Campbell - The Dalton hate on this board is just stupid. My guess is that Gradkowski will get the first phone call but there is zero chance that Campbell comes here and zero chance that Dalton will be threatened by anyone who comes to be #2.
Bold 1) Bush has played in 31 of 32 games over the past 2 years.
Bold 2) No he won't. Like I said, he didn't have a great year. He won't command anything near top dollar.
Bold 3) Marvin does want a pass rushing Sam. He drafted Pollack, he tried to put MJ at LB, he signed Manny Lawson(a former 3-4 OLB with SF), and drafted Dontay Moch.
Bold 4) Read the quote from Truck.
Bold 5) And none are nearly as good as Byrd.
Bold 6) Read my posts. No Dalton hate whatsoever. Jason Campbell gives us a good #2. Competition breeds excellence, having someone breathing down his neck will make Dalton play better.

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5906

SS William Moore Atlanta

It's not a high dollar position like some of the rest of the positions listed and C-G are very low on the list of needs, so they will not address that during Free Agency, just the later rounds of the draft if at all.
LB's are going to come from the draft, and RB's are fairly cheap too and can come from the draft.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Factoring in cost and value its OLB.

You can get a we but it will cost a lot. You can upgrade lb for $4 million.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3443

Linemen and WR. Those guys usually do good on any team if theyre job is the exact same. But WR 1st. Thats why I wanted a vet WR this season because id KNOW that wed have at least 1 good one with AJ. Coming in with 2 rookies Binns and Tate was a gamble that didnt work out. Hopefully we learned a lesson from that

Old 01-20-2013, 02:52 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 921

http://www.nfl.com/player/mikemitchell/238227/profile it would be nice to get SS mike mitchell from the raiders, he could really help us out at the safety position. he will be a UFA this off season.