Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 462
Default Kiper

Anyone with ESPNinsider want to copy and paste Kipers mock draft? Or tell us who he has the AFCN teams taking?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3246
Default Re: Kiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by theburgh66 View Post
Anyone with ESPNinsider want to copy and paste Kipers mock draft? Or tell us who he has the AFCN teams taking?
I know he has us taking Montee Ball
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
I know he has us taking Montee Ball
In what round? Montee in the 3rd would be fantastic.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
In what round? Montee in the 3rd would be fantastic.
1st round

his explanation

21Montee BallCincinnati Bengals (10-6)

COLLEGE: Wisconsin AGE: 22 HT: 5-11 WT: 212 POS: RB

Analysis: In terms of pure draft value, Ball might be a bit of a reach on my board at this spot, but in terms of fit, it's hard to find a better one among teams drafting in this range. Once fully healthy, Ball showed off a quick burst into and through the hole, and the ability to do major damage on the second level, both making defenders miss and simply running through tackles. If Cincinnati is healthy at guard to start the season (the Bengals weren't in 2012), Ball is a player who could take some pressure off Andy Dalton in 2013 by improving its ground game. A "nose for the end zone" is a bit of a throw-away phrase, but Ball truly has it.

It's a reach IMO. I could see Ball in the 2nd, but not the 1st.

Last edited by goalpost; 01-16-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
1st round

his explanation

21Montee BallCincinnati Bengals (10-6)

COLLEGE: Wisconsin AGE: 22 HT: 5-11 WT: 212 POS: RB

Analysis: In terms of pure draft value, Ball might be a bit of a reach on my board at this spot, but in terms of fit, it's hard to find a better one among teams drafting in this range. Once fully healthy, Ball showed off a quick burst into and through the hole, and the ability to do major damage on the second level, both making defenders miss and simply running through tackles. If Cincinnati is healthy at guard to start the season (the Bengals weren't in 2012), Ball is a player who could take some pressure off Andy Dalton in 2013 by improving its ground game. A "nose for the end zone" is a bit of a throw-away phrase, but Ball truly has it.

It's a reach IMO. I could see Ball in the 2nd, but not the 1st.
Oh...um... ok? Wow he calls that a bit of a reach. I love Montee Ball and his prospects in the pros, but even I don't think he is gone before our 2b pick.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2615

I think he did that so that his team (the Ravens) could draft Kevin Minter, and has its replacement for Ray Lewis. I would seriously hope that Minter would not fall below our 1st round pick unless Ogletree or Teo is there instead.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23931

Didn't Kiper also have Teo going to the chiefs 1st overall?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10660

Like Ball as our pick, but not in the first.

But the Bengals may have to reach if they are only interested in 1 particular RB.

Because teams know they will be seeking RB and may move up to steal him before 2nd round pick.

But if there are several that they like, say Bernard, Ball, Lacy, or whoever.

Would much rather wait until 2nd round and fill another need in 1st. Like maybe LB with Minter

Last edited by Go Cards; 01-16-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by theburgh66 View Post

Bjoern Werner *
Cleveland Browns (5-11)
COLLEGE: Florida St.
HT: 6-4
WT: 255
POS: DE

Analysis: I've heard Werner compared to J.J. Watt, and while he's better suited to play defensive end in a 4-3 alignment because he doesn't yet have the size to work primarily inside at this point, in terms of raw impact against the pass, the comparisons hold up. Not only does Werner provide immediate impact as a pass-rusher, like Watt, he defends the pass with his eyes and gets his hands up, disrupts passing lanes and swats away throws. A late arrival to football, he has a high ceiling. He's an ideal fit in Cleveland, a team that saw the defense regress in 2012.

Ezekiel Ansah
Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8)
COLLEGE: BYU
HT: 6-6
WT: 272
POS: LB

Analysis: If you could hand an exceptional physical talent with an extraordinarily high ceiling but plenty of development required to one defensive coordinator, whom would you choose ahead of **** LeBeau? Ansah is a big-time athletic talent, a guy who at 270-plus pounds has the burst and top-end speed of a track star. He'll get comparisons to a player such as Jason Pierre-Paul between now and April, because his potential to be a star is there, but he needs coaching. The Steelers must get younger on defense, and Ansah makes sense given their track record of development.

Montee Ball
Cincinnati Bengals (10-6)
COLLEGE: Wisconsin
HT: 5-11
WT: 212
POS: RB

Kevin Minter *
Baltimore Ravens (10-6)
COLLEGE: LSU
HT: 6-2
WT: 242

Analysis: LSU saw a flood of defenders enter the draft, but Minter is the one who should be taken first. With Ray Lewis on his way to the broadcast booth when the season ends, the Ravens need a strong presence in the middle of that linebacking corps. He's not Lewis, but Minter similarly does a great job of anticipating where the play is going and making offensive linemen whiff as he beats them to the ball. A natural fit in the Baltimore scheme, he's a player ready to start.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Kiper is a FREKIN IDIOT. Montee Ball at 21? Are you serious? What a *******. I will never listen to another word he has to say!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
Bjoern Werner *
Cleveland Browns (5-11)
COLLEGE: Florida St.
HT: 6-4
WT: 255
POS: DE

Analysis: I've heard Werner compared to J.J. Watt, and while he's better suited to play defensive end in a 4-3 alignment because he doesn't yet have the size to work primarily inside at this point, in terms of raw impact against the pass, the comparisons hold up. Not only does Werner provide immediate impact as a pass-rusher, like Watt, he defends the pass with his eyes and gets his hands up, disrupts passing lanes and swats away throws. A late arrival to football, he has a high ceiling. He's an ideal fit in Cleveland, a team that saw the defense regress in 2012.

Ezekiel Ansah
Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8)
COLLEGE: BYU
HT: 6-6
WT: 272

Analysis: If you could hand an exceptional physical talent with an extraordinarily high ceiling but plenty of development required to one defensive coordinator, whom would you choose ahead of **** LeBeau? Ansah is a big-time athletic talent, a guy who at 270-plus pounds has the burst and top-end speed of a track star. He'll get comparisons to a player such as Jason Pierre-Paul between now and April, because his potential to be a star is there, but he needs coaching. The Steelers must get younger on defense, and Ansah makes sense given their track record of development.

Montee Ball
Cincinnati Bengals (10-6)
COLLEGE: Wisconsin
HT: 5-11
WT: 212
POS: RB

Kevin Minter *
Baltimore Ravens (10-6)
COLLEGE: LSU
HT: 6-2
WT: 242

Analysis: LSU saw a flood of defenders enter the draft, but Minter is the one who should be taken first. With Ray Lewis on his way to the broadcast booth when the season ends, the Ravens need a strong presence in the middle of that linebacking corps. He's not Lewis, but Minter similarly does a great job of anticipating where the play is going and making offensive linemen whiff as he beats them to the ball. A natural fit in the Baltimore scheme, he's a player ready to start.

Thanks for posting this. I watched a couple BYU games - I think Ansah would be a great fit
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29515

A bit of a reach???

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Kiper is a FREKIN IDIOT. Montee Ball at 21? Are you serious? What a *******. I will never listen to another word he has to say!
And who pays you for your Mock drafts? You may not agree, but until after all the workouts, combines, and all star games no one really knows who will go where. It's all a crap shot for now.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au165 View Post
And who pays you for your Mock drafts? You may not agree, but until after all the workouts, combines, and all star games no one really knows who will go where. It's all a crap shot for now.
Sooooo are you saying you would take Montee Ball @ 21? I am not saying I should get paid for creating any mock drafts, but for a professional scout who works for ESPN, you think he could do better then Montee Ball at 21. Montee Ball is projected in the 2 - 3 range. He isnt even the best RB on the board. Even after the combine, Montee will still be a 2-3 round RB. Reaching is an understatement!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Sooooo are you saying you would take Montee Ball @ 21? I am not saying I should get paid for creating any mock drafts, but for a professional scout who works for ESPN, you think he could do better then Montee Ball at 21. Montee Ball is projected in the 2 - 3 range. He isnt even the best RB on the board. Even after the combine, Montee will still be a 2-3 round RB. Reaching is an understatement!
But see that is strictly your opinion. Many last year said before the workouts and early before the end of season all star games Doug Martin was anywhere from 3rd-5th round(By the way I said early 2nd). Then he gets drafted in the 1st and it was a great pick. It's easy to say right now based off a bunch of guys who are just guessing that it's a bad pick, but it's a crap shoot and not something to freak out about at this point.

Kiper has him rated as the #2 back so I guess its all up to who you like.

Last edited by Au165; 01-16-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
But see that is strictly your opinion. Many last year said before the workouts and early before the end of season all star games Doug Martin was anywhere from 3rd-5th round(By the way I said early 2nd). Then he gets drafted in the 1st and it was a great pick. It's easy to say right now based off a bunch of guys who are just guessing that it's a bad pick, but it's a crap shoot and not something to freak out about at this point.
To toot my own horn a little bit...
I thought Doug Martin was a 1st round talent and actually mocked him to us with the 21st pick a couple times.
I also didn't want Kirkpatrick in the 1st since he didn't really show anything besides being a product of the system.

Anyway, Ball with the 21st pick at this point would be majorly disappointing.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

I have insider, let me know if you need anything.
Here's the first round :

Luke Joeckel (OT, TAMU) Kansas City Chiefs
Damontre Moore (DE, TAMU) Jacksonville Jaguars
Star Lotulelei (DT, Utah) Oakland Raiders
Dee Milliner (CB, Alabama) Philadelphia Eagles
Jarvis Jones (LB, Georga) Detroit Lions
Bjoern Werner (DE, Flordia St.) Cleveland Browns
Chance Warmack (G, Alabama) Arizona Cardinals
Manti Te'o (LB, ND) Buffalo Bills
Barkevious Mingo (DE, LSU) New York Jets
Dion Jordan (DE, Oregon) Tennessee Titans
Eric Fisher (OT, Central Michigan) San Diego Chargers
Cordarrelle Patterson (WR, Tennessee) Miami Dolphins
Alec Ogletree (LB, Georgia) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Sheldon Richardson (DT, Missouri) Carolina Panthers
Johnathan Hankins (DT, Ohio St.) New Orleans Saints
Kenny Vaccaro (S, Texas) St. Louis Rams
Ezekiel Ansah (LB, BYU) Pittsburgh Steelers
Jonathan Cooper (G, North Carolina) Dallas Cowboys
Sam Montgomery (DE, LSU) New York Giants
Tyler Eifert (TE, ND) Chicago Bears
Montee Ball (RB, Wisconson) Cincinnati Bengals
D.J. Fluker (OT, Alabama) St. Louis Rams (from WAS)
Terrance Williams (WR, Baylor) Minnesota Vikings
Menelik Watson (OT, Florida St.) Indianapolis Colts
John Jenkins (DT, Georgia) Seattle Seahawks
Zach Ertz (TE, Stanford) Green Bay Packers
Keenan Allen (WR, Cal) Houston Texans
Xavier Rhodes (CB, Florida St.) Denver Broncos
Kevin Minter (LB, LSU) Baltimore Ravens
Sharrif Floyd (DT, Florida) San Francisco 49ers
DeAndre Hopkins (WR, Clemson) New England Patriots
Margus Hunt (DE, SMU) Atlanta Falcons
Breakdowns by Position:
DE: 6
LB: 5
DT: 5
OT: 4
WR: 4
CB: 2
TE: 2
G: 2
S: 1
RB: 1
Offense: 13
Defense: 19

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 01-16-2013, 03:24 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28864

No QB's in the first round? He's insane.

Anyway, Kiper is one of the worst Mock'ers around. Always has been. Always will be. What he is good at is analyzing talent by position. He knows the players, not the teams. There are others who are much better at mocking for sure.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Like Ball as our pick, but not in the first.

But the Bengals may have to reach if they are only interested in 1 particular RB.

Because teams know they will be seeking RB and may move up to steal him before 2nd round pick.

But if there are several that they like, say Bernard, Ball, Lacy, or whoever.

Would much rather wait until 2nd round and fill another need in 1st. Like maybe LB with Minter
no on bernard...but ya
Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
A bit of a reach???
To you.
I think Ball is one of the better backs available.
The whole team struggled early last year, switched QB's midseason and had coaching and oline issues, but for the last 4-5 games of the year, he exploded again and finished very nicely and almost got back to where he was projected to finish at in yards.

WalterFootball has him as projected 1-2.
SI has him rated as the best 3 down back out there.
CBS Projected 1-2.
NFL.com Bucky Brooks has him ranked 44th on his big board. So that's 1-2 projection.

Most aren't even any where near complete. We need Combine numbers and finish the college all star games.

Also Kiper does like 500 mocks, and really blows at making mocks. However he is pretty decent at evaluating the talent.

Last edited by Mike M (the other one); 01-16-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
THANK YOU, FOR ALL WE KNOW, BARKELY IS GOING 1ST OVERALL.
Wait, how did Dan Gilbert get my laptop?

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 39064

Montee ball is a fine prospect and every bit the RB as Board favorites Gio Bernard and Eddie Lacy. Montee finished the season very strong. In their last 9 games. Lacy rush for 100 yards only 4 games, Gio did it only 5 games; conversely, Ball did it 8 out of 9.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28864

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Montee ball is a fine prospect and every bit the RB as Board favorites Gio Bernard and Eddie Lacy. Montee finished the season very strong. In their last 9 games. Lacy rush for 100 yards only 4 games, Gio did it only 5 games; conversely, Ball did it 8 out of 9.
Ball is a machine.....my only cocern is wear and tear.

-Stewwy
---------------------------------------------------
ESPN has the journalistic integrity of a turnip!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 39064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy View Post
Ball is a machine.....my only cocern is wear and tear.
Montee Ball has proven to be an Ironman. Ray Rice has held up pretty well in his pro career and he had 715 carries in his last 2 years at Rutgers; conversely, Montee has "only" had 653.

I think Rob Rang has Ball being the 1st RB taken in the draft to Pittsburgh.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22461

I'm more interested in Wisconsin's center. Stick him next to Zeitler, let them rekindle their chemistry from college.

But if we took Ball #1, I'd be a little shocked and dismayed.