Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM
OchoCincos's Avatar
OchoCincos OchoCincos is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,302
Rep Points: 3089
Default FA SS Mock

Free Agency
Domenik Hixon, WR - Hixon will be looking to be a starter somewhere, but should not command elite WR salary. He has done well filling in for injured Giants WRs. Some would say Hartline, but I think he will get his pay to return to the Dolphins, and won't want to become a second option now that he is the primary receiver in Miami. We could offer Hixon 8 mill/3 years to play here.

Daryl Smith, SLB
- He was injured early on this past year, but played decently well the years prior. He should not be too expensive, and could either be the starter at SAM or great depth. Financially, this would be our biggest FA signing.

LaRon Landry or Kenny Phillips, SS - Both are young enough to be good for the next 3 years, so pick one up and be set at safety. We can draft an heir within the next couple years when we don't have so many other needs. $10-12 mill over 3 years.

Re-sign
Howard, Jones, Newman, Johnson, Smith, Gradkowski (at least for camp), Peerman (our new ST captain), Skuta, Brown, Harris, Huber

Cut
Cook, Sands

2013 Draft
1: traded back for early 2nd and early 3rd

2A: Giovani Bernard, RB UNC - Gruden said (again) that he wants a RB with speed. Bernard is more quick than fast, but he can take it all the way when he gets to the open field. He can also catch well. Someone will take Lacy in late first, leaving us with Bernard.

2B: Jordan Poyer, CB Oregon St - First time mocking a CB high, but if we can land Landry or Phillips for our SS spot, we have a chance to bring in youth into our CBs. Poyer is athletic, physical, and a ball hawk. Very similar to J Jo.
Alternate pick: Logan Ryan, CB Rutgers - Another great CB if Poyer is gone. Similar traits to Poyer, but a bit slower yet more physical. Both are 6' and 190 lbs.

2C: Travis Frederick, C/LG Wisconsin - Cut Cook and let Frederick battle it out with Robinson in TC. He is also a great LG, and could compete with Boling as our starting LG.

3A: Sean Porter, OLB Texas A&M - Can rush the passer and drop back into coverage well. He could take one of the starting OLB jobs, preferably SAM.

3B: Tank Carradine, DE Florida St
- Injury caused this early-round pick to fall to the third round. Will be a steal if he can fully recover.
Alternate pick: Malliciah Goodman, DE Clemson - Not the fastest or strongest DE, but if he were, he'd be gone within the first two rounds. Goodman has a great motor and could improve his skills as a rotational player in our scheme. He holds the Clemson record for most plays in a season by a DL.

4: Rick Wagner, OT Wisconsin - Backup OT to completely remove Roland off the roster. Wagner needs to refine his skills, but has the potential to become a starter one day.

5A: Aaron Mellette, WR Elon - A big, fast WR from a small school. He dominated opponents throughout his college career, and could develop into a great WR on the outside after a year or two. Replace Whalen as we have two good slot players ahead of him.

5B (comp): Michael Williams, TE Alabama - Amazing blocking TE and big red zone target. Remove the Roland experiment.

6A: Kerwynn Williams, RB/KR/PR Utah St
- Perfect 3rd down RB and returner. Great hands, fast, and elusive. He replaces the roles of both Leonard and Tate.
Alternative pick: Dennis Johnson, RB/KR/PR Arkansas - Pretty similar traits as Kerwynn Williams. More of a shifty, quick returner than straight-line speed. Also good receiving skills.

6B: Dustin Hopkins, K Florida St - Rookie kickers are having great success the past couple years. Best kicker in the nation this past year. Pretty consistent and can hit 50+ yarders.

Depth Chart
QB: Dalton, Robinson/Gradkowski
RB: BJGE, Bernard, Peerman, K. Williams
FB: Pressley/Conner
TE: Gresham, Charles, M. Williams
WR: Green, Hixon, Sanu, Jones, Hawkins, Mellette
OT: Whitworth, Smith, Collins, Wagner
OG: Zeitler, Boling, Wharton
C: Frederick, Robinson

DT: Atkins, Peko, Still, Thompson
DE: Johnson, Dunlap, Gilberry, Carradine/Goodman
WLB: Howard, Lamur
MLB: Burfict, Skuta
SLB: Smith, S. Porter, Moch/Joiner
CB: Hall, Poyer, Jones, Kirkpatrick, Newman, Allen/Ghee
SS: Landry/Phillips, Mays
FS: Nelson, Iloka

K: Brown/Hopkins
P: Huber
LS: Harris

EDIT: Replaced fourth round pick Kiko Alonso (ILB Oregon) with Rick Wagner (OT Wisconsin). Also removed Roland as a re-signing and added Skuta instead to be backup MLB to Burfict.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 01-17-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Joiner released from prison. Could push Moch off roster
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Not a fan of Hixn he's too injury prone, their is better options out there. Mocj is not too bad but prefer a different RB.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM
OchoCincos's Avatar
OchoCincos OchoCincos is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,302
Rep Points: 3089
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Not a fan of Hixn he's too injury prone, their is better options out there. Mocj is not too bad but prefer a different RB.
Which ones? Most that are better will be looking to be the primary WR and also expect much more money.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: FA SS Mock

I like Hartline, i don't think he gets elite money for 1 good season in the league.

so Hartline,deverey henderson,Mohamed Massaquoi(another GA Bulldog),Kevin Ogletree

Hixon would be ok i would just prefer someone else because of past injuries.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
mulligan mulligan is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 12,852
Rep Points: 7525
Default Re: FA SS Mock

I like it overall.

My only concern is a future concern. Anthony Collins is a Bengal thru 2013, but he is a free agent thereafter.

2 points:
I would like to find a quality tackle in this draft to get acclimated in 2013 and possibly be the go-to tackle in 2014 if Collins should leave in free agency.

Secondly, I just don't want to see Roland as a Bengal any longer. He is one of our weakest links and should be upgraded as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
OchoCincos's Avatar
OchoCincos OchoCincos is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,302
Rep Points: 3089
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I like Hartline, i don't think he gets elite money for 1 good season in the league.

so Hartline,deverey henderson,Mohamed Massaquoi(another GA Bulldog),Kevin Ogletree

Hixon would be ok i would just prefer someone else because of past injuries.
Yea I did consider Massaquoi, especially since he has had much more playing time. Henderson always was big play or nothing from the games I've watched him in. Whether it be inconsistency on his part or Brees not throwing to him, but definite inconsistency.

Ogletree is an intriguing prospect. I would put him in the same category as Hixon. Wanting to be more of a starter on a consistent basis, but doesn't have the pedigree to demand big money.

I guess I just disagree about Hartline. I think Miami will offer him more as he has become the go-to guy for Tannehill. Plus if he came here, he wouldn't be the primary receiver anymore. I personally think he's a better fit as a WR2 than a WR1, but I still see him staying a Dolphin.

Hixon has just always played pretty well whenever given the chance, which is really only when a Giants starting WR is out for injury.

Ultimately, I think if we really want to give Sanu and Jones a chance to become our true WR2, getting a second-tier WR in FA and drafting a late round WR to replace Whalen and develop would be our best option. We don't break the bank on a FA WR, we improve our depth, and let the best WR to emerge in camp.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
OchoCincos's Avatar
OchoCincos OchoCincos is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,302
Rep Points: 3089
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I like it overall.

My only concern is a future concern. Anthony Collins is a Bengal thru 2013, but he is a free agent thereafter.

2 points:
I would like to find a quality tackle in this draft to get acclimated in 2013 and possibly be the go-to tackle in 2014 if Collins should leave in free agency.

Secondly, I just don't want to see Roland as a Bengal any longer. He is one of our weakest links and should be upgraded as soon as possible.
Agree about Roland, but I think that if he can be replaced of blocking TE duties by someone like Michael Williams, we won't have to see him on the field. I also labeled the depth chart as Roland/FA because I think a FA OT could come in and claim the spot from him. I think based on the depth chart I listed, Roland could be one of the inactives.

I think we could wait until the 2014 draft to address our OT depth. Collins has done fairly well when given the chance.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:12 PM
urinalcake's Avatar
urinalcake urinalcake is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 646
Rep Points: 1569
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Like how these FA signings set us up in the draft. Don't see us getting a low 2 & 3 for our 1st in this draft and would rather just take the best available LB with that spot. Also not that high on Gio, but thats just me. Could definitely see us drafting him though.

Good stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM
OchoCincos's Avatar
OchoCincos OchoCincos is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,302
Rep Points: 3089
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
Like how these FA signings set us up in the draft. Don't see us getting a low 2 & 3 for our 1st in this draft and would rather just take the best available LB with that spot. Also not that high on Gio, but thats just me. Could definitely see us drafting him though.

Good stuff.
It's very feasible for a team with an early second round pick like Jacksonville, Kansas City, or Arizona to trade up and get an offensive playmaker. I think if there was a player they really wanted and they think may not last until their pick, they could trade up and sacrifice their second and third round picks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-16-2013, 02:34 PM
MentalRage's Avatar
MentalRage MentalRage is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 97
Rep Points: 76
Default Re: FA SS Mock

If the Bengals traded back and recieved another second round pick I would rather use one of those to draft WR as I am not a fan of Hixon.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Yea I did consider Massaquoi, especially since he has had much more playing time. Henderson always was big play or nothing from the games I've watched him in. Whether it be inconsistency on his part or Brees not throwing to him, but definite inconsistency.

Ogletree is an intriguing prospect. I would put him in the same category as Hixon. Wanting to be more of a starter on a consistent basis, but doesn't have the pedigree to demand big money.

I guess I just disagree about Hartline. I think Miami will offer him more as he has become the go-to guy for Tannehill. Plus if he came here, he wouldn't be the primary receiver anymore. I personally think he's a better fit as a WR2 than a WR1, but I still see him staying a Dolphin.

Hixon has just always played pretty well whenever given the chance, which is really only when a Giants starting WR is out for injury.

Ultimately, I think if we really want to give Sanu and Jones a chance to become our true WR2, getting a second-tier WR in FA and drafting a late round WR to replace Whalen and develop would be our best option. We don't break the bank on a FA WR, we improve our depth, and let the best WR to emerge in camp.
I think Mellette would be a good one to draft later on.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I like it overall.

My only concern is a future concern. Anthony Collins is a Bengal thru 2013, but he is a free agent thereafter.

2 points:
I would like to find a quality tackle in this draft to get acclimated in 2013 and possibly be the go-to tackle in 2014 if Collins should leave in free agency.

Secondly, I just don't want to see Roland as a Bengal any longer. He is one of our weakest links and should be upgraded as soon as possible.

I would like for them to draft Justin Pugh he's a stud.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM
urinalcake's Avatar
urinalcake urinalcake is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 646
Rep Points: 1569
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
It's very feasible for a team with an early second round pick like Jacksonville, Kansas City, or Arizona to trade up and get an offensive playmaker. I think if there was a player they really wanted and they think may not last until their pick, they could trade up and sacrifice their second and third round picks.
guess it would need to be someone who was in dire need of a QB. those you mentioned fit the bill. good point.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
OchoCincos's Avatar
OchoCincos OchoCincos is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,302
Rep Points: 3089
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I like it overall.

My only concern is a future concern. Anthony Collins is a Bengal thru 2013, but he is a free agent thereafter.

2 points:
I would like to find a quality tackle in this draft to get acclimated in 2013 and possibly be the go-to tackle in 2014 if Collins should leave in free agency.

Secondly, I just don't want to see Roland as a Bengal any longer. He is one of our weakest links and should be upgraded as soon as possible.
If we took an OT, I'd hope it would be Round 4 or later. I actually considered Rick Wagner in Round 4 over Kiko Alonso. If that were the scenario instead, Wagner would replace Roland. Instead of bringing back Roland, we could bring back Skuta, who is good on ST and can play multiple LB spots in our schemes. That may be a better scenario overall. Making change on the mock as an option.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
If we took an OT, I'd hope it would be Round 4 or later. I actually considered Rick Wagner in Round 4 over Kiko Alonso. If that were the scenario instead, Wagner would replace Roland. Instead of bringing back Roland, we could bring back Skuta, who is good on ST and can play multiple LB spots in our schemes. That may be a better scenario overall. Making change on the mock as an option.
I'd rather draft Alonso where he's at and address OT much earlier in this scenario.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM
OchoCincos's Avatar
OchoCincos OchoCincos is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,302
Rep Points: 3089
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I'd rather draft Alonso where he's at and address OT much earlier in this scenario.
Curious why you would draft a backup OT so high? In the mock, it states we keep Smith. Who would you give up in the mock to take a backup OT higher and why?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 PM
RIPChrisHenry RIPChrisHenry is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 630
Rep Points: 360
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
I like Hartline, i don't think he gets elite money for 1 good season in the league.

so Hartline,deverey henderson,Mohamed Massaquoi(another GA Bulldog),Kevin Ogletree

Hixon would be ok i would just prefer someone else because of past injuries.
don't like Ogletree. like the others tho.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Curious why you would draft a backup OT so high? In the mock, it states we keep Smith. Who would you give up in the mock to take a backup OT higher and why?
We need someone to groom for WHIT and Justin Pugh would be perfect for that. Id' give him a cpl years to learn the system and add some weight and muscle and be ready to go.




I'd drop Poyer and draft Pugh and then where you have Wagner I'd draft Franklin and with 2a I would draft Ogletree if he's there.

Last edited by pulses; 01-16-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
OchoCincos's Avatar
OchoCincos OchoCincos is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,302
Rep Points: 3089
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
We need someone to groom for WHIT and Justin Pugh would be perfect for that. Id' give him a cpl years to learn the system and add some weight and muscle and be ready to go.
Agreed that Whit will need a replacement within a couple years, but why try and get everything this year? Collins can play both LT and RT fine in case of injury. We could easily get a high pick for LT in the 2014 or 2015 draft. Definitely not a reason to get one this year. Plus Wagner could become that within a year or two.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
Agreed that Whit will need a replacement within a couple years, but why try and get everything this year? Collins can play both LT and RT fine in case of injury. We could easily get a high pick for LT in the 2014 or 2015 draft. Definitely not a reason to get one this year. Plus Wagner could become that within a year or two.
Possibly so, I just think Pugh is the better prospect and we should grab him while we can.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 PM
50yarder 50yarder is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 117
Rep Points: 105
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Why would you get Hixon in free agency then draft Mellete when its debatable that we even need one.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 PM
pulses pulses is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southeastern Indiana
Posts: 1,545
Rep Points: 632
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50yarder View Post
Why would you get Hixon in free agency then draft Mellete when its debatable that we even need one.

because it's NOT debatable we NEED to upgrade our WR corp
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 AM
mulligan mulligan is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 12,852
Rep Points: 7525
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
because it's NOT debatable we NEED to upgrade our WR corp
We NEED 1 WR. 2 WRs would be a luxury.

WR1: Green/Jones
WR2: FA/Whalen
Slot: Sanu/Hawkins

A FA WR would give the Bengals much needed flexibility in the draft. Especially, if the Bengals are able to get a compentent FA WR. And it would also buy another year for Marvin Jones to develop and for the Bengals to see exactly what Marvin Jones is capable of.

I'd rather add 2 RBs in this off-season than add 2 WRs. RBs have less of a learning curve and can make a more immediate impact. The Bengals pass offense would be much, more more potent with an RB corp of:
  • Bernard or Lacy/BJGE/Barner/Peerman or
  • Reggie Bush/BJGE/Barner/Peerman
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 AM
mulligan mulligan is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 12,852
Rep Points: 7525
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
because it's NOT debatable we NEED to upgrade our WR corp
And it isn't debatable that the Bengals NEED to upgrade their Safety corp, LB corp, RB corp. And get younger (eventually) at CB.

Again, it goes to priorities.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 AM
icehole3 icehole3 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 797
Rep Points: 767
Default Re: FA SS Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
guess it would need to be someone who was in dire need of a QB. those you mentioned fit the bill. good point.
Kiper mentioned on ESPN yesterday there are quite a few teams wanting to trade up to 20-32 to get their QB.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.