Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082
Default Best 1st round mock I have seen

Here is one of the best first round mocks I have seen. By best I think that it hit BPA and team needs in a way I felt was very realistic. The one pick that I didn't really like was our selection of Kenny Vaccaro. I feel that the safety class is so deep tthis year that we can get a comaprable player in the latter part of the 2nd round or even into the 3rd. Given the mock he presents here I would shop our pick to any of the teams 28-32 in exchange for a 3rd or 3rd and 5th for the lower selections.

TL;DR: We pick Kenny Vaccaro, I would like to trade down.

Quote:
By Ryan Alfieri, Editor
Updated January 16, 2013
We are now just a few days away from championship weekend, meaning that all but four NFL teams have entered offseason mode. All juniors have declared and the stage is almost set for draft season to get underway.
Here is our mock draft to get you ready for the final weekend of games before the Super Bowl:
1. Kansas City Chiefs
Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
It is possible that they take a tackle here, but the Chiefs need a quarterback in the worst way. Smith is not the prospect Luck or RGIII were, but he has traits that resemble a young Donovan McNabb. If there is anyone who can turn an above-average prospect into a star, it’s Andy Reid.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars
Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
Defensive tackle is hardly on top of the Jags’ to-do list, but Star is one of the top two or three prospects in the draft. Scheme-transcendent, Lotulelei would make an immediate impact on this porous defense that struggled against the run and generating a pass-rush.
3. Oakland Raiders
Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas
This new regime has no ties to either Carson Palmer nor Terrelle Prior. Wilson can sit behind Palmer for a year before being thrown into the fire.
4. Philadelphia Eagles
Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
Joeckel may be the top player in the entire draft class. Perfect in his technique with the desired athleticism and strength to complement it, he should step into either tackle spot immediately to solidify the Eagles’ line that had protection issues all year.
5. Detroit Lions
Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
The Lions need to start adding young talent to their back seven. Milliner is an instinctive, aggressive corner that fits perfectly with the Lions’ attitude on defense.
6. Cleveland Browns
Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
The Browns have a lot of talent on their defensive line, but they lack a edge-rusher that commands a lot of attention on passing downs. Werner is an explosive player that would benefit greatly from playing next to Taylor and Rubin.
7. Arizona Cardinals
Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
Before the Cardinals bring in a new quarterback, they need to make some massive upgrades on their offensive line before they ruin some rookies’ career. This is a bit of a reach, but Fisher is a solid prospect who should start right away.
8. Buffalo Bills
Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse
This almost seems too logical to actually happen. Doug Marrone would be reunited with the quarterback he coached and developed in Syracuse, and Buddy Nix has stated repeatedly that the Bills need to pull the trigger on a young quarterback in the draft.
9. New York Jets
DaMontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
There is a very good chance that the Jets will need to add two new starters at the outside linebacker position this offseason, and they are in position to take a top prospect with the ninth pick. Moore is a versatile player that would be a great fit in Rex Ryan’s defense.
10. Tennessee Titans
Jonathan Banks, CB, Mississippi
The Titans had one of the worst pass defenses in football in 2012, making this an easy selection at the tenth spot. Banks does almost everything well and would be an immediate starter for the Titans.
11. San Diego Chargers
Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
Rhodes is an excellent press-coverage corner who should ease into the starting role with Quentin Jammer not getting any younger.
12. Miami Dolphins
Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
Ryan Tannehill showed plenty of promise in his rookie season, but he was clearly limited by the lack of passing threats on the Dolphins’ roster. Allen is a big target that gets separation easily, which would make life much easier on the young quarterback.
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
The raw-but-talented prospect out of BYU has a chance to shoot up draft boards as the draft process continues. The Bucs could use another toy to play with on the defense line, as Ansah has experience lining up across the line.
14. Carolina Panthers
Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida State
The Panthers still have a gaping hole in the middle of their defensive line. Floyd is a prototypical 3-technique that would be able to start for Ron Rivera’s defense right off the bat.
15. New Orleans Saints
Johnathon Hankins, DT, Ohio State
The addition of Broderick Bunkely did not work out this year, as the Saints continued to struggle against the run and rush the passer. Hankins can do both from the defensive tackle spot.
16. St. Louis Rams
Chance Warmack, OL, Alabama
Throwing out positional value, Warmack may be the best player in the entire draft. The Rams could use at least four new starters on their offensive line.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers
Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
Based on talent and production, Jones has the makings of a top-5 pick, but concerns about a spinal condition may cause him to have a D’Quan Bowers-esque slip on draft day. James Harrison is not getting any younger, and the Steelers defense is predicated on haveing two stud outside linebackers.
18. Dallas Cowboys
Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
The Cowboys are moving to a four-man front with Monte Kiffin at defensive coordinator. Richardson is a penetrating 3-technique that will give the Cowboys a much-needed interior pass-rush.
19. New York Giants
Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
The Giants love to collect pass-rushers that ooze with athleticism. Jordan has the making of the next Mathias Kiwanuka, able to stand up as a linebacker or rush the passer with his hand in the dirt.
20. Chicago Bears
Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
The Bears need to continue to spend resources on their offensive line if they want Jay Cutler to last an entire season. Cooper is an athletic guard that is at his best when pulling or out in space.
21. Cincinnati Bengals:
Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
Vaccaro is the best safety is a very deep class, able to play either position and can line up in the slot as well. his versatility will be a huge asset for any defense.
22. St. Louis Rams (from Redskins)

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
With Brian Quick’s slow development, the Rams could still use another playmaker for Sam Bradford. Patterson has a ton of athleticism and natural playmaking ability.
23. Minnesota Vikings
Robert Woods, WR, USC
Woods stock has taken a huge hit since the beginning of the season, but he still has great hands and quick in the open field. The Vikings need someone to take some pressure off of Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin.
24. Indianapolis Colts
Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
The Colts had one of the worst run defenses in football last year. Williams would be a perfect fit as the Colts nose tackle in their new 3-4 scheme.
25. Seattle Seahawks
DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
The Seahawks don’t have a lot of needs, but another deep receiver Sidney Rice would certainly be a welcome addition. Hopkins is great at grabbing deep balls, and the Seahawks’ offense is predicated on such explosive plays.
26. Green Bay Packers
Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State
Manti Te’o may be the biggest name at the linebacker spot, but Brown is the best prospect. Brown flies to the ball and is terrific in coverage, making him a three-down player at the position.
27. Houston Texans
Tavon Austin, WR, WVU
The Texans’ lack of an explosive threat at the slot receiver spot was painfully obvious in the divisional playoff game against the Patriots. Austin is the next Percy Harvin as a do-it-all athlete who is special with the ball in his hands.
28. Denver Broncos
Eric Reid, S, LSU
This pick is not a reaction to the horrific play that Rahim Moore made that cost the Broncos their season. Despite coming off a disappointing junior campaign, Reid has great coverage skills and would give the Broncos versatility at the safety position.
29. Baltimore Ravens
Manti Te’o, LB, Notre Dame
Contrary to the narrative, Te’o is nowhere close to being the next Ray Lewis on the field, but he is still a solid linebacker prospect with excellent leadership skills. Some may be shocked to see the Heisman finalist go this late, but this is an appropriate spot based on Te’o's ability.
30. Atlanta Falcons
Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
The Falcons pass-rush is starting to wear thing with John Abarham starting to show his age. Montgomery has some character issues, but he has the potential to be a star 4-3 end if he stays motivated.
31. New England Patriots
Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
The Patriots could still use one more pass-rusher opposite Chandler Jones. Rob Ninkovich is still a valuable asset to the Pats’ D, but he is not a dynamic edge-rusher.
32 San Francisco 49ers
Matt Elam, S, Florida
Elam is a big-time hitter that would be a welcome addition to a 49ers defense that has declined in their pass defense since 2011.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20557
Default Re: Best 1st round mock I have seen

The question is, if it goes down like this, who are the alternatives? I have no problem spending a first rounder to fix the damn S position once and for all as long as the player is worth the pick.

Otherwise, who else should be taken? One of the WR's? Arthur Brown?

singersongwriterrocknroll
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10585

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
The question is, if it goes down like this, who are the alternatives?
Cordarrelle Patterson

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

I would be pretty happy if that is exactly how the first round went. That would leave running backs Lacy/Bernard still available in the second round along with LB Alec Ogletree. If the Bengals grabbed Vaccarro in the first and potentially snagged a combo Ogletree/Lacy or Bernard in the second I would consider it a success.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalRage View Post
I would be pretty happy if that is exactly how the first round went. That would leave running backs Lacy/Bernard still available in the second round along with LB Alec Ogletree. If the Bengals grabbed Vaccarro in the first and potentially snagged a combo Ogletree/Lacy or Bernard in the second I would consider it a success.
I know its a while away, but I don't see Ogletree falling past Baltimore's 1st round pick. I understand we aren't even close to making rational predictions here, but right
now he's the 2nd ranked ILB. If we did however get Vaccaro and then Ogletree and then Bernard or Randle, I might as well be in heaven.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natikid873 View Post
I know its a while away, but I don't see Ogletree falling past Baltimore's 1st round pick. I understand we aren't even close to making rational predictions here, but right
now he's the 2nd ranked ILB. If we did however get Vaccaro and then Ogletree and then Bernard or Randle, I might as well be in heaven.
Oh, I totally I agree with you. I don't think there is anyway Ogletree falls out of the first round. Just wishful thinking my part
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344

disagree. Vacarro may be the best Safety in this years draft but like u said this is a very deep draft class for safeties...i never have liked grabbing a safety in the first unless its of top tier talent..i dont see Vacarro on the same level as eric berry when he came out nor earl thomas or last years mark barron. il take vacarro if hes there in the second. not the first. dont like this mock.